“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#92959 Oct 27, 2013
Mimi- wow, looks good and a nice long-term project to keep working at and adding to. I saw a Mental Floss list of doctoral theses on pop culture, and actually read one. I was actually kind of disappointed in it; thought i could have done a comparable job of it at a master's level. It did take a lot of media review and coding, though. I think i like your idea better... ;-)

PElly - that website we talked about, i finally got around to actually signing in. here's hoping!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#92960 Oct 27, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Mimi- wow, looks good and a nice long-term project to keep working at and adding to. I saw a Mental Floss list of doctoral theses on pop culture, and actually read one. I was actually kind of disappointed in it; thought i could have done a comparable job of it at a master's level. It did take a lot of media review and coding, though. I think i like your idea better... ;-)
PElly - that website we talked about, i finally got around to actually signing in. here's hoping!
Most doctoral theses are kind of overrated IMO. I do think it's a highly personal thing...the writing that is. It *can* be technically proper writing and still not be goo while some less-than-stellar writing, technically speaking, can really convey its message and draw int eh reader. I've read some awesome sophomore papers and some POST-doc work that really sucked. <shrug>

Friday one of my profs. was giving a presentation of one of his papers. I was so bored...bored...bored...bored. The research is impeccable and his paper is technically fine. He is brilliant and well versed and I like him. Just that it wasn't at all engaging, the paper not the presentation, though that left a bit to be desired. I did however tell him how great the paper and presentation both were. Letters of recommendation and all.:D

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#92961 Oct 27, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Most doctoral theses are kind of overrated IMO. I do think it's a highly personal thing...the writing that is. It *can* be technically proper writing and still not be goo while some less-than-stellar writing, technically speaking, can really convey its message and draw int eh reader. I've read some awesome sophomore papers and some POST-doc work that really sucked. <shrug>
Friday one of my profs. was giving a presentation of one of his papers. I was so bored...bored...bored...bored. The research is impeccable and his paper is technically fine. He is brilliant and well versed and I like him. Just that it wasn't at all engaging, the paper not the presentation, though that left a bit to be desired. I did however tell him how great the paper and presentation both were. Letters of recommendation and all.:D
yeah, there is definitely a difference between technically-speaking quality writing and engaging writing, especially in academia. my grandfather's dissertation was published; in fact i have the original and 2 published copies in my houses, and i've never read any of it. he focused on local economic history, and the specific topic of the dissertation hasn't ever really engaged me...
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92962 Oct 27, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Most doctoral theses are kind of overrated IMO.
Hey....

Lol--they are because it's not your topic. I find most boring because I don't care but you spend a good year or more on that freaking paper! I have to do a pilot study-grr-thus pushing me back 2 semesters! Boo.

But the paper is a beast and not something easy, hence the talking about it non-stop. I'm convinced it's legal hazing, rofl.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#92963 Oct 28, 2013

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#92964 Oct 28, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey....
Lol--they are because it's not your topic. I find most boring because I don't care but you spend a good year or more on that freaking paper! I have to do a pilot study-grr-thus pushing me back 2 semesters! Boo.
But the paper is a beast and not something easy, hence the talking about it non-stop. I'm convinced it's legal hazing, rofl.
There's probably a lot of truth in that. I was speaking with my thesis adviser the other day about my research, which everyone so far seems to be excited about. So yay! But I know there;s going to be a lot of people who just don't care.

Anyway I just finished reading a dissertation, at her suggestion, and she asked me how it went (the reading) and I told her that I really had a hard time getting through it. When she asked why, I told her that I think it's just a not-interested-AT-ALL-in-the-t opic kind of thing. <shrug>

Some of them though are overwritten and obscure. Even though they are written for audiences like me (and you...) they are just really annoying to read. YOUR dissertation however I predict will be brilliant, engaging, and a wonderful read. Just like mine. ;-)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#92965 Oct 28, 2013
Need boots and a shovel, sheits getting deep in here!
:)
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
There's probably a lot of truth in that. I was speaking with my thesis adviser the other day about my research, which everyone so far seems to be excited about. So yay! But I know there;s going to be a lot of people who just don't care.
Anyway I just finished reading a dissertation, at her suggestion, and she asked me how it went (the reading) and I told her that I really had a hard time getting through it. When she asked why, I told her that I think it's just a not-interested-AT-ALL-in-the-t opic kind of thing. <shrug>
Some of them though are overwritten and obscure. Even though they are written for audiences like me (and you...) they are just really annoying to read. YOUR dissertation however I predict will be brilliant, engaging, and a wonderful read. Just like mine. ;-)

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92966 Oct 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, RACE! I went to a wolf rescue in the panhandle this weekend and it was really cool! One of them reminded me of the pictures of your mutt.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#92967 Oct 28, 2013
Sweet!
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, RACE! I went to a wolf rescue in the panhandle this weekend and it was really cool! One of them reminded me of the pictures of your mutt.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#92968 Oct 28, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
Hi, RACE! I went to a wolf rescue in the panhandle this weekend
??
There's no wolves in Florida

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#92969 Oct 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Woo hoo. Friend just got the new Pearl Jam cd and took it upon himself to burn me a copy and drop it at my doorstep while I was out last night.
Pearl Jam is still writing songs? Thought they were dead. Bunch of one hit wonder has-beens...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#92970 Oct 28, 2013
Ahem...

"Dear Mimi...we are pleased,... top GPA....blah, blah, blah,....Dean's list."

:-D

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#92971 Oct 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92972 Oct 28, 2013
I posted this on FB, but thought some of you might appreciate it. Anyone who listens to Z100 or Y100 in the morning already heard it today. Kurt Cobain's singing voice was beautiful. http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/lis...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92973 Oct 28, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I posted this on FB, but thought some of you might appreciate it. Anyone who listens to Z100 or Y100 in the morning already heard it today. Kurt Cobain's singing voice was beautiful. http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/lis...
That is outstanding, also Eric Clapton on the Beatles tone there.....I played drums many years ago, and woulda loved this technology, if it had been available....
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92974 Oct 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
They say we are the expert at the defense, and will know more than anyone else in the room.
I have an outline for my lit review (ch. 2) and am about to organize all my lit and tackle it, one article/book at a time.*sigh*
With the pilot, it pushed me back, but it does buy me some time on the proposal defense, which will be by next summer.
Financial Aid is trying to stop paying, saying I hit my max hours, but they are counting my master's! Infuriating.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92975 Oct 28, 2013
For those of you who didn't see this on the news (since I would hate to think that any of you were actually watching the game - can't stand Ohio). Marching bands are so cool! http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#92976 Oct 28, 2013

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#92977 Oct 28, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Its interesting to hear it by itself, but it really does not give me any extra appreciation for his voice. I never thought he had a bad voice to begin with and I don't think the sonic wall that normally accompanied his voice did anything to detract from it. Additionally, his voice is front an center, ready to be appreciated, on a number of tracks without the screeching guitars, specifically All Apologies and many of the tracks they performed on Unplugged.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#92978 Oct 29, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Jacques Ottawa 181,736
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Emeem 1,153,352
Abby 12-18 28 min pde 4
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 33 min JOEL 70,989
Deat Abby 12-16 36 min Mister Tonka 70
Woman walks into a welfare office... 53 min GotsMe2ManyKids 7
Food for Thought 58 min NationRunByIdiots 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:10 am PST

ESPN10:10AM
Vegas reacts to Bears' benching of Cutler
NBC Sports10:10 AM
Is Chicago protecting Cutler's trade value by benching him?
NBC Sports10:35 AM
Why did Chicago wait until now to bench Jay Cutler?
ESPN11:08 AM
Cowboys remain hopeful as Murray practices
ESPN12:14 PM
Bears seek 'spark', bench Cutler for Clausen