Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#92925 Oct 24, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, it means the team that won is really, really good... apparently they have a history of winning big, but this was the biggest margin by far. i also read a quote from the coach saying he was trying to figure out what to do to stop scoring so much.
What about a slaughter rule like they have in kid's softball?

FWIW my dad was on the losing side of a game that was ven more lopsided. He never told us kids about that. At some point , maybe 15 years ago I met someone who graduated high school with my dad and asked if he remembered him. He did, but it was because he was on THAT football team. You can imagine how happy my dad was to have a 50+year old defeat/humiliation resurrected at the dinner table. Aren't kids grand?!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92926 Oct 24, 2013
Cheluzal- it was a benign funny photo and reference to a 1950's sitcom about an English teacher

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92927 Oct 24, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>No. They were swingers. Not the same thing at all.
Hi Moon. How's stuff going?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#92929 Oct 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Moon. How's stuff going?
House sold, close the first week of January. Not making anything, but getting out clean.
Bear's spinal problems are still bad. Had to sell the bike because of the vertigo. Loses feeling in his arms/hands if he looks the wrong way for up to a day. Pain is pretty constant, but he has days where it's tolerable without drugs. Still can't find a doc who doesn't push the oxy or percs on him, he continues to refuse them.
We're hanging in. We own the coach, so we will never be homeless, although we may go gypsy.
8^J

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#92930 Oct 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
What about a slaughter rule like they have in kid's softball?
-This was not pee wee football. This was high school. There is no mercy rule in high school
-The winning coach pulled his starters to start the second half
-He went to a running game, which means less clock stoppages and a faster end to the game
-He got them to go to a running clock in the 4th qtr, meaning NO clock stoppages at all.

The only other thing he could have done was tell his kids to play half speed. Bad lesson and also makes HIS players more prone to injury.

Poosay dad:"Picking up my son from the fieldhouse after the game and taking him home was tough," the complaint read. "I did not know what to say to my son on the ride home"

How bout "Damn. That was an ass beating. Those guy are really good"
Encourage him to try harder, not expect those excelling to not try hard. Guy makes me sick.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92931 Oct 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part? Living with me or living in Georgia?
Both, ha! ;p
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92932 Oct 24, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool! is this in any way connected to your academic work? Published is published, though, for most of the rest of us... ;-P
Yup!
My qual teacher (and my methodologist on my dissertation committee) really cheered me to write it. I am not big on sharing and it was hard, but I'm glad I did.
Got it rejected at 4 journals (I like to aim high) and finally got acceptance.
Didn't even realize it was UK when I emailed it in, but how cool is that? It's an article about loss and coping, so.....maybe I can help someone. It'll come out next year.
I'm also presenting it this January with my prof at a qualitative conference. ;p

I also got an invitation to revise and resubmit a small informal study I did years ago. I presented it last year and got good feedback at a very reputable article that will remain nameless for my privacy, lol. It's that well-known.

Presenting 3 times at the MN conference, where I hope to see/meet Ang!

I feel so special...lol...
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92933 Oct 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Cheluzal- it was a benign funny photo and reference to a 1950's sitcom about an English teacher
Nono, I saw it...I just didn't get the reference, lol.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#92934 Oct 24, 2013
Got my research proposal approved today. It's a study of domestic violence and the law with a focus on crafting public policy that will do a better job than what gets done now. It's a lot more involved than that, but those are the Cliff Notes.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#92937 Oct 25, 2013

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#92938 Oct 25, 2013
I dont think he attacked the kid, so much as just calling him a lousy player. Not a bad person, or ugly, or nasty odor. He also only said the team itself was just a political organization.
I think he walked a tight rope, and did it well.
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
As an educator, I'm torn.
I know everyone is like [he did the assignment and was honest and put his emotions] but....the person he's speaking about is pretty clear. I know I would not like a kid reading a poem attacking another student. That's not cool....it's a grey area.
Had he just submitted it, as a teacher, I would grade it and let it go, but to go public with it (how did that happen) made it worse.
The coah, sure, but if he wrote a poem attacking a girl's looks, for example, without naming her but we know who it was, that would not be okay.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#92939 Oct 25, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
**GOOD NEWS**
I wrote an article about my experiences with my brother and it was accepted to be published in a UK journal on loss and illness! Stoked.
That's awesome!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#92940 Oct 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
I dont think he attacked the kid, so much as just calling him a lousy player. Not a bad person, or ugly, or nasty odor. He also only said the team itself was just a political organization.
<quoted text>
I loved it. There was a lot of that good ol' boys (and girls) club attitude around my grade school especially when I was growing up. Blatant favoritism for kids whose parents were on the school board or whatever.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92941 Oct 25, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
**GOOD NEWS**

I wrote an article about my experiences with my brother and it was accepted to be published in a UK journal on loss and illness! Stoked.
Congrats on being published! I would love to read it, if you care to share. I was never big on group therapy, but I find that we can all learn from each other's experiences and hearing how others cope and navigate life's difficulties makes us (or me, at least) examine our own decisions.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#92942 Oct 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>I dont think he attacked the kid, so much as just calling him a lousy player. Not a bad person, or ugly, or nasty odor. He also only said the team itself was just a political organization.
I think the school completely overreacted. We encourage teenagers, especially boys, to share their thoughts and feelings, but then punish them for voicing opinions? He did not threaten to harm either the player or the coach, he did not publish it anonymously in the school paper to try to embarrass them, he simply wrote about his feelings and observations as a member of the team.

1st Amendment?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#92943 Oct 25, 2013
For all those who appreciate The Big Lebowski and/or need something to pass the time today

http://m.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/50... -(probably)-didnt-know-about-t he-big-lebowski

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92944 Oct 25, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
**GOOD NEWS**
Congtrats.

Save your rejection letters. When you are famous they will be valuable.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92945 Oct 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
I think another thing he was addressing was...no matter how hard or how well you play....the coach's son, with minimal skill was given the scholarship , and other's less powerful deserved....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92946 Oct 25, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Got my research proposal approved today. It's a study of domestic violence and the law with a focus on crafting public policy that will do a better job than what gets done now. It's a lot more involved than that, but those are the Cliff Notes.
A non snarky inquiry- what/which society /country is your context?
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92947 Oct 25, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats on being published! I would love to read it, if you care to share. I was never big on group therapy, but I find that we can all learn from each other's experiences and hearing how others cope and navigate life's difficulties makes us (or me, at least) examine our own decisions.
Thanks...it's not my first pub, but the most important.
I can't share as it I don't register here and am a bit more private than normal....thanks though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min THE DEVIL 1,250,332
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min Smarter Than A 5t... 53,908
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min Dr Guru 191,908
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 70,132
aggy-6-30-15 6 hr mrs gladys kravitz 9
News Should we really be OK with the surgical remova... 6 hr An NFL Fan 71
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr Doug77 6,136
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages