Location hidden

#92738 Oct 16, 2013

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#92739 Oct 16, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really the worst part about winter here. 40 and sunny is a whole lot easier to take than 40 and overcast.
That's pretty much year round here...except in summer when it gets hot at 65...

Oh, and rain.

(._.)

West Palm Beach, FL

#92740 Oct 16, 2013
So D's computer is at least 5 years old and I want to surprise him either for his birthday (10/30) or Christmas with a new one (I can get special pricing through work). But he uses it for work and I don't know if it's something that he'd rather pick out. It just seems anti-climactic to say "I'm buying you a computer! Now go shopping..." Doing the whole thing seems like a better gift, much less hassle.

Thoughts, techie people? I already know what Tonka's going to say.
;)

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#92741 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Good to know, about Gravity. It's on the docket for Friday night's date night (IMAX 3D... It's both or neither around here).
The people I know that *didn't* like it said stuff like "Well, maybe I should have seen it in 3D..." Yeah, that's kinda the thing. It's not got a super intricate plot or anything; it's got pretty visuals.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92742 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So D's computer is at least 5 years old and I want to surprise him either for his birthday (10/30) or Christmas with a new one (I can get special pricing through work). But he uses it for work and I don't know if it's something that he'd rather pick out. It just seems anti-climactic to say "I'm buying you a computer! Now go shopping..." Doing the whole thing seems like a better gift, much less hassle.
;)
I'm not Tonka techie for sure, but there's got to be giftcards for brands or stores. You know, wrap up a wireless mouse & keyboard (those don't last forever so to have 2 is a good thing) or computer speakers with the giftcard.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92743 Oct 16, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more south, but do we have a real fall in the panhandle?
Fall is like 2 weeks, then we're hot or straight to cold.
I don't mind a couple degrees drop but it was overcast and dreary out. That depresses me. I love my sun.
You and I are about equal on the north/south thing (I believe I am pretty much straight west of you). I've camped in Ginnie Springs several times in November and it definitely fall up there (and that's not the panhandle - it's NW of Gainesville)!!! Downright cold at night , so I am thinking it should be pretty nice up in the panhandle. I think we'll be about 20 minutes from AL.

West Palm Beach, FL

#92744 Oct 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not Tonka techie for sure, but there's got to be giftcards for brands or stores. You know, wrap up a wireless mouse & keyboard (those don't last forever so to have 2 is a good thing) or computer speakers with the giftcard.
Yeah, but the pricing I get through work is awesome and I have to go through IT to get it. I guess I could make a homemade gift card....

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#92745 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
;)
i've done stuff like that for hubby. i'll either cut out pictures (a ton of them for effect) from the sunday ads and cram them in a card. or i'll "drag" him to the apple store (we're that type of geek in our house), and get him going on whatever toy he's looking at, then tell him happy birthday (or whatever occasion) and tell him i'm buying.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92746 Oct 16, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92747 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
;)
You two have been dating for, what, 6 months or so? A computer will run a couple hundred dollars. Has he been having computer problems?

This my approach - what about telling him that you company has a deal and you'd be happy to let him in on it if he interested and when he has chosen, you could add some of the goodies that go with that model. A bigger monitor perhaps or an external hard drive for back up and some really nice speakers, etc.
Mimi

United States

#92748 Oct 16, 2013
Just for you edog, so you can justify your outlook on life....

I'm at the transit center. Its pretty much an industrial area. Some random person comes up to me asking if I know where a store is, close by. It needs to accept food stamps and be close so they can catch the bus to DSHS (welfare office)...(sigh) do I look like I woud know that? Even still...look around, transit center, and, warehouses.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92749 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
;)
I'd let him pick it out. I'd rather pick my own computer out than have someone surprise me with something that is nice, but not what I would prefer. That way I could get exactly what I wanted.

Oh and the special pricing through work ... if you are talking dell ... it's like 3%.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92750 Oct 16, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw it on our mega screen (not quite IMAX) in 3D, and that's my take on it, too.
IMAX and 3D. It was worth the extra $2.00 in ticket price.
There is a discussion going on another board about the significance/symbolism of the Hank Williams song. I had eh pleasure of telling the guy h had waaayy too much time on his hands.
Pundit

Roselle, IL

#92751 Oct 16, 2013
Gravity? Didn't the republicans just shut down the government to repeal that? Or was it the Law Of Averages? The Law Of Supply And Demand? There was SOME law that they didn't like that they were willing to destroy the country for.

OH! I know! The Law Of Unintended Consequences!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#92752 Oct 16, 2013
Mimi wrote:
Just for you edog, so you can justify your outlook on life....
I'm at the transit center. Its pretty much an industrial area. Some random person comes up to me asking if I know where a store is, close by. It needs to accept food stamps and be close so they can catch the bus to DSHS (welfare office)...(sigh) do I look like I woud know that? Even still...look around, transit center, and, warehouses.
I would have directed her to the nearest employment office

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92753 Oct 16, 2013
Pundit wrote:
Gravity? Didn't the republicans just shut down the government to repeal that? Or was it the Law Of Averages? The Law Of Supply And Demand? There was SOME law that they didn't like that they were willing to destroy the country for.
OH! I know! The Law Of Unintended Consequences!
Best. Pundit. Ever.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#92754 Oct 16, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have directed her to the nearest employment office
It's a little far from where I was at.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92755 Oct 16, 2013
Edog- I have found your perfect Christmas gift.

http://www.taylorandng.com/index.php/today-s-...

Perfectly safe for work. Just look at the magnified images. Subtle but still safe

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92756 Oct 17, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Edog- I have found your perfect Christmas gift.

http://www.taylorandng.com/index.php/today-s-...

Perfectly safe for work. Just look at the magnified images. Subtle but still safe
That's subtle?

“A plus home”

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#92757 Oct 17, 2013
Awesome ideas collection!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min truth-facts 46,388
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min No Surprize 1,101,921
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min loose cannon 177,540
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 24 min Lawrence Wolf 66
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 34 min KiMare 49,518
ruth ann hall's son 56 min EYES EVERWHERE 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Rick Moss 69,094
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago