“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#92745 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So D's computer is at least 5 years old and I want to surprise him either for his birthday (10/30) or Christmas with a new one (I can get special pricing through work). But he uses it for work and I don't know if it's something that he'd rather pick out. It just seems anti-climactic to say "I'm buying you a computer! Now go shopping..." Doing the whole thing seems like a better gift, much less hassle.
Thoughts, techie people? I already know what Tonka's going to say.
;)
i've done stuff like that for hubby. i'll either cut out pictures (a ton of them for effect) from the sunday ads and cram them in a card. or i'll "drag" him to the apple store (we're that type of geek in our house), and get him going on whatever toy he's looking at, then tell him happy birthday (or whatever occasion) and tell him i'm buying.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92746 Oct 16, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#92747 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So D's computer is at least 5 years old and I want to surprise him either for his birthday (10/30) or Christmas with a new one (I can get special pricing through work). But he uses it for work and I don't know if it's something that he'd rather pick out. It just seems anti-climactic to say "I'm buying you a computer! Now go shopping..." Doing the whole thing seems like a better gift, much less hassle.
;)
You two have been dating for, what, 6 months or so? A computer will run a couple hundred dollars. Has he been having computer problems?

This my approach - what about telling him that you company has a deal and you'd be happy to let him in on it if he interested and when he has chosen, you could add some of the goodies that go with that model. A bigger monitor perhaps or an external hard drive for back up and some really nice speakers, etc.
Mimi

United States

#92748 Oct 16, 2013
Just for you edog, so you can justify your outlook on life....

I'm at the transit center. Its pretty much an industrial area. Some random person comes up to me asking if I know where a store is, close by. It needs to accept food stamps and be close so they can catch the bus to DSHS (welfare office)...(sigh) do I look like I woud know that? Even still...look around, transit center, and, warehouses.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92749 Oct 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
;)
I'd let him pick it out. I'd rather pick my own computer out than have someone surprise me with something that is nice, but not what I would prefer. That way I could get exactly what I wanted.

Oh and the special pricing through work ... if you are talking dell ... it's like 3%.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92750 Oct 16, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw it on our mega screen (not quite IMAX) in 3D, and that's my take on it, too.
IMAX and 3D. It was worth the extra $2.00 in ticket price.
There is a discussion going on another board about the significance/symbolism of the Hank Williams song. I had eh pleasure of telling the guy h had waaayy too much time on his hands.
Pundit

Roselle, IL

#92751 Oct 16, 2013
Gravity? Didn't the republicans just shut down the government to repeal that? Or was it the Law Of Averages? The Law Of Supply And Demand? There was SOME law that they didn't like that they were willing to destroy the country for.

OH! I know! The Law Of Unintended Consequences!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#92752 Oct 16, 2013
Mimi wrote:
Just for you edog, so you can justify your outlook on life....
I'm at the transit center. Its pretty much an industrial area. Some random person comes up to me asking if I know where a store is, close by. It needs to accept food stamps and be close so they can catch the bus to DSHS (welfare office)...(sigh) do I look like I woud know that? Even still...look around, transit center, and, warehouses.
I would have directed her to the nearest employment office

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92753 Oct 16, 2013
Pundit wrote:
Gravity? Didn't the republicans just shut down the government to repeal that? Or was it the Law Of Averages? The Law Of Supply And Demand? There was SOME law that they didn't like that they were willing to destroy the country for.
OH! I know! The Law Of Unintended Consequences!
Best. Pundit. Ever.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#92754 Oct 16, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have directed her to the nearest employment office
It's a little far from where I was at.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92755 Oct 16, 2013
Edog- I have found your perfect Christmas gift.

http://www.taylorandng.com/index.php/today-s-...

Perfectly safe for work. Just look at the magnified images. Subtle but still safe

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92756 Oct 17, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Edog- I have found your perfect Christmas gift.

http://www.taylorandng.com/index.php/today-s-...

Perfectly safe for work. Just look at the magnified images. Subtle but still safe
That's subtle?

“A plus home”

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#92757 Oct 17, 2013
Awesome ideas collection!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#92758 Oct 17, 2013
Right?
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
That's subtle?

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#92759 Oct 17, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#92760 Oct 17, 2013
It took my SIL almost two whole months at school to decide she wants to swap roommates. That's progress, right? It was 2 weeks last year.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92761 Oct 17, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
It took my SIL almost two whole months at school to decide she wants to swap roommates. That's progress, right? It was 2 weeks last year.
Is she settling in any better at this school?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92762 Oct 17, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I know I missed some updates - are she and fiance still together? Is he at the new school, too?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#92763 Oct 17, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I missed some updates - are she and fiance still together? Is he at the new school, too?
Yes and yes. She got a job doing...something on campus. We haven't heard from her much and she's 8 hours away, so we certainly haven't seen her. It is glorious.

My in-laws have been doing better as well. They both stopped smoking (again) and seem to be coming out of their depressive hazes a bit. It's almost pleasant to talk to them--J's stepdad actually has a sense of humor...who knew? He's been helping us out with a few projects around our house. I'm cautiously optimistic about a relationship with them--I know they're not healthy people, but they're putting forth effort, so...

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#92764 Oct 17, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and yes. She got a job doing...something on campus. We haven't heard from her much and she's 8 hours away, so we certainly haven't seen her. It is glorious.
My in-laws have been doing better as well. They both stopped smoking (again) and seem to be coming out of their depressive hazes a bit. It's almost pleasant to talk to them--J's stepdad actually has a sense of humor...who knew? He's been helping us out with a few projects around our house. I'm cautiously optimistic about a relationship with them--I know they're not healthy people, but they're putting forth effort, so...
Sounds like some cautious optimism is in order.
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Buroc Millhouse O... 1,153,200
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 181,720
Deat Abby 12-16 8 min Mister Tonka 61
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 17 min Le Duped 3
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 53 min Sublime1 21
Abby 12-18 53 min RACE 2
Amy 12-18 1 hr RACE 2
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago