Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
This year our school is holding Trunk or Treat on Halloween night. http://trunkortreat.homestead.com/ They usually have it the Friday before Halloween, but people have been complaining about their kids having to wear their costumes twice and ruining them the first time they wear them. Plus, our town has a 7 pm curfew on the 30th and 31st, so it's not like the kids will be going out in the neighborhood at night. I still find it strange that kids trick or treat around here right after school. We used to wait until after dinner when I lived in Colorado and California.
Anyway, a lot of the parents dress up at this event. I'm not sure if I will try to find a costume or just wear a Halloween themed shirt (yay for Target and Old Navy - they have some good options). I remember my parents dressing up when I was younger and my FIL used to dress up with the kids up until last year.
My daughter goes every year with her dad to a "Spooky Trail" halloween-themed camping trip. This year, she wants to wear the same costume for both camping and real Halloween. I told her she can, but if she ruins her costume, she's going to have to live with it. We'll see. I am trying to get her to wear last year's regular Halloween costume. Yeah, it's mostly white (not great for a campground), but it's not like she'll wear it again adn I can probably clean it.
A noted observer

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I too will concede to a compromise on the political talk. Don't want to bring this thread to a stand-still.
I accept your surrender. Biotch.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
They drained over a liter of fluid out of my right lung!! It was gross,
Can you imagine you were carrying that AROUND???

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
I cant do college football, I never went.
<quoted text>
After the Giants showing last night, you might want to rethink that.:D

I knew the Bears weren't great. But those Giants...

Eli did complete some passes. Two beautiful passes were right to my team!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter goes every year with her dad to a "Spooky Trail" halloween-themed camping trip. This year, she wants to wear the same costume for both camping and real Halloween. I told her she can, but if she ruins her costume, she's going to have to live with it. We'll see. I am trying to get her to wear last year's regular Halloween costume. Yeah, it's mostly white (not great for a campground), but it's not like she'll wear it again adn I can probably clean it.
That sounds like so much fun! What was she last year?

When I was in college I took a couple of my prom dresses (which were white/off-white) and "zombie-fied" them. I went as a dead prom queen and a dead bride. The dresses were splattered with "blood" and dirt and I bought a wig that I ratted up. That way, it didn't matter how dirty I got them when I went to parties that were held in fraternity basements (mind out of the gutter - those places were just disgusting).

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny because a co-worker and I (both from NY) were talking the other day about how, in FL, they wait tll dark but in NY they did it right after school! Just the opposite! I think the 7 PM curfew stinks, though. I think 9 is good.
I don't remember my parents ever dressing up.
The kids can stay at the school (with their parents) after the curfew, but they can't be wandering the neighborhood by themselves. Apparently, Mischief Night was a big deal around here when my parents were in high school. As it evolved, there was just too much vandalism.

I'm just hoping that the weather is decent. Last year we had no power due to Hurricane Sandy and the year before there was a major snowstorm.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny because a co-worker and I (both from NY) were talking the other day about how, in FL, they wait tll dark but in NY they did it right after school! Just the opposite! I think the 7 PM curfew stinks, though. I think 9 is good.
I don't remember my parents ever dressing up.
how does this right after school work? School lets out well before 5pm. Are the kids with working parents screwed? And how many homes are occupied by people who don't work and are actually home to hand out candy?

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was in college I took a couple of my prom dresses (which were white/off-white) and "zombie-fied" them. I went as a dead prom queen and a dead bride. The dresses were splattered with "blood" and dirt and I bought a wig that I ratted up. That way, it didn't matter how dirty I got them when I went to parties that were held in fraternity basements (mind out of the gutter - those places were just disgusting).
Last year they did a pirate theme and 5 groups all camped together and decorated the site with a boat and a fog machine and all. I went up for the evening for that and dressed up, too. I guess they're not doign a theme this year. But there's trick-or-treating and everyone goes ALL OUT at their campsites. Then they have a haunted trail walk and one area where there's a DJ and vendors and stuff. It's cool to see how everyone does their camp sites and their costumes. It's actually quite amazing and the kids love it!

I forgot how Sandy de-railed Halloween up north last year. I think my niece and nephew still managed to get candy, though, and they were out of power, too. That would stink! Our weather is usually great for it! Of course, I just jinxed us...

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and I was a bit of a goth girl back in the early 90s, so I had an old ripped up bridal gown I'd wear sometimes to the clubs, so I would do the same thing and use it to be a dead bride at Halloween. It was fun!!!

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>how does this right after school work? School lets out well before 5pm. Are the kids with working parents screwed? And how many homes are occupied by people who don't work and are actually home to hand out candy?
I don't know how it works now, but when I was young people were homw. And it's not like it ended earlier. It still goes on into the night, so people have the evenings, too. I'll have to ask my brother. I know there are a lot of SAHPs in their neighborhood.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>how does this right after school work? School lets out well before 5pm. Are the kids with working parents screwed? And how many homes are occupied by people who don't work and are actually home to hand out candy?
Most of the working parents that I know take leave/vacation time on Halloween afternoon. It's just part of the culture around here.

There are plenty of people who are home to hand out candy (between SAHPs and retirees), but I get confused because when you trick or treat in the dark, you know to only go to houses that have the front porch light on. There is no signal like that during the day.

I think it is stupid, but apparently is has been like that for a couple of generations.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

Well, sent kitty over the rainbow (or whatever). Vet was very compassionate, worth the money. Was actually the most relaxed I had ever seen her (drugs rule).
Am going to take the rest of the day to drink to her memory.(sniff!)

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Well, sent kitty over the rainbow (or whatever). Vet was very compassionate, worth the money. Was actually the most relaxed I had ever seen her (drugs rule).
I'm so sorry RACE :( sending virtual hugs

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Sorry, man.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Aw, sorry Race.
:(

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

Thanks for the kind words folks. 20yrs is a long time to hang with an animal, and I will always have a cold spot on my bed where she used to keep it warm. She was a cats cat.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
So sorry hear it, RACE!:-( But it's better than having her suffer. You can have one of my dogs if it will make you feel better (just kidding... it won't).

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the working parents that I know take leave/vacation time on Halloween afternoon. It's just part of the culture around here.
Glad I don't live there. I'm already indifferent to Halloween as it is. I'd not be thrilled to be expected to take time off of work because of it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

RACE wrote:
I cant do college football, I never went.
<quoted text>
That's not stopping most of the Hurricane fans in Miami.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Pour a little out for your homie.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,201 - 91,220 of97,435
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

121 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,072,179
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min Maverick 808 45,479
Abby 7-11 24 min edogxxx 11
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 50 min Afro-Euro-American Prez 173,619
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,158
Amy 7-11 1 hr Mister Tonka 13
Chicago's bloody Fourth: 82 shot, 14 dead 1 hr reality is a crutch 7
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE