Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'm not gonna cry in my beer over some government worker who's getting an extra paid vacation."
You should cry in your beer, for several reasons. Despite what you claim, I am telling you there will not be back pay for all those employees. You are clumping several different segments of "government" employees into one. Get more informed before you make bad assumptions. Talk to someone who really knows...oh that's right, you are :)
Yeah, everyone has it bad. And it's going to get worse. And instead of taking the negative "so what, everyone's suffering" stance, we should be looking at what we're going to do about our dysfunctional government and the negative ramifications this is having on our economy and country, and tell them we've had enough.
This shut down is going to cost taxpayers millions in recovery when congress finally pulls their head out. Our national security programs are going to take a nasty hit and the recovery will cost millions more. Look at what some of these labs do in critical threat reduction, homeland security and weapons viability programs and activities. Do we really want those shut down for an indefinite amount of time? I sure as hell don't.
If they don't deal with the long term debt problem in this country, the problems we face in the future will be much worse.

In 1970, 20% of federal budget was spent on entitlements

In 2010, 47% was spent on entitlements

For 2014, Obama proposed spending 53%.

The republicans should have never made this about Obamacare … it should have been all about debt and they should have demanded a cut to entitlements equal to the amount we are spending on Obamacare. Then the democrats can go back and tell all the folks back home why we just needed to have Obamacare at the cost of cutting other entitlements.

They need to draw a line in the sand and demand that entitlement growth stop. They need to draw a line in the sand and refuse to stop spending more and more of the federal budget on just paying for folks to exist. Folks need to pay for themselves to exist and stop standing with their hands out asking for the government to take care of them like their mommy and daddy used to.

If they don’t, in 20 years when the federal government is spending 70-75% of its budget on entitlements and 10-15% on servicing debt, there is going to be almost no money for education, police, scientists, infrastructure, the military, and things that benefit all of us … as opposed to things that just benefit folks who want shyte for free for themselves. And contrary to what most democrats think, there’s just not enough 1%ers to tax our way out of the problem. The only way we will be able to tax our way out of the problem is to raise taxes very high on everyone, which would pretty much destroy the middle class and destroy the incentive for most folks to be anything but become a ward of the state.

This is where the democrats will take us if nothing is done. It is far better to do it now, feel some pain, than wait until it collapses under its own weight.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I ended up being checked into the hospital and hey don't know when I get to go home.
Preliminary findings = lung cancer has metastasized to the liver. Nick and I both guess I have six months.
Edog, I still do not like you and I'm sure it is mutual, but I am sorry that I so immaturely said such mean things as wishing death on you.
What was I thinking?
Percocet and Vicodin haven't done shit for me, but I'm too scared to try morphine just yet. My poor mom. Nick is a wreck, but even he gets that it is the parents whose hearts are breaking beyond belief in these situations.
I posted on fb tonight for people to please stop texting me so I can sleep. My phone will beep until I deal with the text, missed call, or voice mail. I can't turn that notification feature off.
So my brother posted on fb repeating what I had posted....an d I thought it was weird he was helping me in that manner.
Then he said, "does anyone know how to program a droid phone so it sends a text automatically every ten minutes?"
Jamwow emailed me to tell me about you. Goddamn place falls to shyte when I leave for a few weeks. j/k, of course, but I'm devastated for you, Nick, and your mom. Keep us posted, of course, and we are here to listen. Internet hugs and stuff. <3

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

Thanks, all. Staying in the hosp another night. They'll drain the other lung today to send me home tomorrow in the best possible shape.
A noted observer

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the government workers who are going to work but not getting paid until this is over? Essential workers, like my husband, have to work (including "overtime " hours, if necessary), but are not receiving a paycheck. He will be paid eventually, but we don't know if that will be a lump payment or spread over several paychecks. Bills are still piling up at home, though.
This shutdown is a complete failure on the part of every congressperson and our president. They need to sit down and get this figured out, not refuse to even meet because they don't like thee terms that the other side has made before talks even happen.
No, not the presidents fault. He got the ACA passed the old-fashioned way. After going through the proper legislative procedures, it then withstood the scrutiny of a conservative USSC. He ran on the ACA in '12 and defeated the guy who vowed to repeal it on his "first gay in office". THEN the ACA survived FORTYTWO expensive House votes against it!The rest of the world is laughing at us! This is not what democracy looks like. It's not even close to the way we used to portray it.

Hopefully this foolishness stops now before the teapublicans pick up guns to settle this.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
Finally some good news: my friend C had her baby a few hours ago.
:)
Ha! My friend C did, too, this morning. Her post-vasectomy oops baby.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

Yesterday was also my other friend C's birthday.

Facebook was a totally dichotomous experience: the news feed literally alternated between happy and sad updates.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

i wish i had a friend C with some good news.... Or a friend c... or some good news...
<sigh>

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>No, not the presidents fault. He got the ACA passed the old-fashioned way. After going through the proper legislative procedures, it then withstood the scrutiny of a conservative USSC. He ran on the ACA in '12 and defeated the guy who vowed to repeal it on his "first gay in office". THEN the ACA survived FORTYTWO expensive House votes against it!The rest of the world is laughing at us! This is not what democracy looks like. It's not even close to the way we used to portray it.

Hopefully this foolishness stops now before the teapublicans pick up guns to settle this.
Then he needs to act like a leader. Sit down the senior members of both parties and say "We are not leaving this room until a compromise has been met." Instead, he says that he won't entertain talks until the Republicans work out the issues on their own. That's BS. I don't even care about his politics right now, I'm just embarrassed by his lack of leadership abilities.

CNN just ran a quote that he was "happy" that there was some talk of raising the debt ceiling. I don't give a flying fig if he is happy or not. He just needs to make sure that the job gets done.
A noted observer

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If they don't deal with the long term debt problem in this country, the problems we face in the future will be much worse.
In 1970, 20% of federal budget was spent on entitlements
In 2010, 47% was spent on entitlements
For 2014, Obama proposed spending 53%.
The republicans should have never made this about Obamacare … it should have been all about debt and they should have demanded a cut to entitlements equal to the amount we are spending on Obamacare. Then the democrats can go back and tell all the folks back home why we just needed to have Obamacare at the cost of cutting other entitlements.
They need to draw a line in the sand and demand that entitlement growth stop. They need to draw a line in the sand and refuse to stop spending more and more of the federal budget on just paying for folks to exist. Folks need to pay for themselves to exist and stop standing with their hands out asking for the government to take care of them like their mommy and daddy used to.
If they don’t, in 20 years when the federal government is spending 70-75% of its budget on entitlements and 10-15% on servicing debt, there is going to be almost no money for education, police, scientists, infrastructure, the military, and things that benefit all of us … as opposed to things that just benefit folks who want shyte for free for themselves. And contrary to what most democrats think, there’s just not enough 1%ers to tax our way out of the problem. The only way we will be able to tax our way out of the problem is to raise taxes very high on everyone, which would pretty much destroy the middle class and destroy the incentive for most folks to be anything but become a ward of the state.
This is where the democrats will take us if nothing is done. It is far better to do it now, feel some pain, than wait until it collapses under its own weight.
Two unfunded wars sure can drive up some debt! We know that now! Well, some of us do... Others think it's Head Start programs.

Why don't your terribly generic, tea party talking points include those unfunded wars in regard to debt? What do hungry children and education have to do with fighting a country that had no connection to 9/11?

What is so wonderful about "free stuff" that people are clamoring to become poor? Does it really pay that good in your mind?

I think I told you once before and maybe you forgot or had a friend remove the post but, if you are going to say you have an education AND a law degree, act like you've got a lick of sense too!
A noted observer

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Then he needs to act like a leader. Sit down the senior members of both parties and say "We are not leaving this room until a compromise has been met." Instead, he says that he won't entertain talks until the Republicans work out the issues on their own. That's BS. I don't even care about his politics right now, I'm just embarrassed by his lack of leadership abilities.
CNN just ran a quote that he was "happy" that there was some talk of raising the debt ceiling. I don't give a flying fig if he is happy or not. He just needs to make sure that the job gets done.
What is it that you want him to "compromise" on? Is it the ACA (Obamacare) that the teapublicans demand be defunded? That's why they shut down the government. Well, that's what they said. That's not going to happen. Compromising does NOT mean doing what the terrorists demand. The 42 votes they took to defund/repeal ACA should have tipped them off. Obama is dealing with people who shut down the government and then wonder why memorials, parks and various agencies are closed! I don't see how you compromise with people like that.

The debt ceiling was increased 18 times under Reagan, 19 under Bush. It's typical to raise it. Raiding it is not the end of the world!(Sublime should know- for example- that act alone will NOT feed hungry children. He needn't worry.) I don't know if it's ever not been raised. I don't want to find out what happens if it's not raised and we default on debt and lose our place in the world. I do know that Obama is dealing with people who probably don't care what happens to you or me.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>What is it that you want him to "compromise" on? Is it the ACA (Obamacare) that the teapublicans demand be defunded? That's why they shut down the government. Well, that's what they said. That's not going to happen. Compromising does NOT mean doing what the terrorists demand. The 42 votes they took to defund/repeal ACA should have tipped them off. Obama is dealing with people who shut down the government and then wonder why memorials, parks and various agencies are closed! I don't see how you compromise with people like that.

The debt ceiling was increased 18 times under Reagan, 19 under Bush. It's typical to raise it. Raiding it is not the end of the world!(Sublime should know- for example- that act alone will NOT feed hungry children. He needn't worry.) I don't know if it's ever not been raised. I don't want to find out what happens if it's not raised and we default on debt and lose our place in the world. I do know that Obama is dealing with people who probably don't care what happens to you or me.
You're right. They are terrorists and we should just sit back and wait for them to come to their senses on their own. Obama should just wait until this process is a little easier to deal with. Why should they be held accountable for their irresponsible actions? It's not like he holds the office where one of his predecessors said "the buck stops here".

I am appalled by what my elected party leaders are doing. However, I realize that since they are still getting their paychecks, there is nothing to stop them from standing on ideology, to the detriment of the country. The Dems might as well do the same thing.
A noted observer

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. They are terrorists and we should just sit back and wait for them to come to their senses on their own. Obama should just wait until this process is a little easier to deal with. Why should they be held accountable for their irresponsible actions? It's not like he holds the office where one of his predecessors said "the buck stops here".
I am appalled by what my elected party leaders are doing. However, I realize that since they are still getting their paychecks, there is nothing to stop them from standing on ideology, to the detriment of the country. The Dems might as well do the same thing.
The republicans are digging a hole and he is right to keep handing them shovels. It's their hole. But, come debt ceiling time it become's the country's hole.

This shutdown stunt will probably cost the GOP the House in '14. They can forget about the White House in '16 and maybe beyond. Where is this party going if they are turning their backs on minorities and women?

I have no respect for Boehner but, if he had any respect for himself and what his party was, he'd call for an up and down vote and get this BS over and the country moving again. This is no time for Obama to become the dictator they have promoted him as.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I think the Beatles would be thrilled that their music is so meaningful to a new generation. It's not being used to sell cars in this case, it is being used to help this generation express their feelings, exactly what they were trying to do 40 years ago.
I heard part of a Led Zeppelin song, in a Cadillac commercial once, and was'nt the same for weeks.....

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Two unfunded wars sure can drive up some debt! We know that now! Well, some of us do... Others think it's Head Start programs.
Why don't your terribly generic, tea party talking points include those unfunded wars in regard to debt? What do hungry children and education have to do with fighting a country that had no connection to 9/11?
What is so wonderful about "free stuff" that people are clamoring to become poor? Does it really pay that good in your mind?
I think I told you once before and maybe you forgot or had a friend remove the post but, if you are going to say you have an education AND a law degree, act like you've got a lick of sense too!
We spent 2 trillion on the wars. Most of that 2 trillion was during Bush’s term. Obama’s added over 6 trillion in debt. A small fraction of that was due to wars.

My point was not about debt, per se, but about the fact that entitlement programs keep consuming more and more of the federal budget, as a percentage of all outlays.

Without any changes, by 2013 entitlement programs and interest on debt will consume 75% of the federal budget.

Without any changes, spending on SS, Medicare, Medicaid will consume more than 100% of all federal revenues. Everything else will have to be financed with debt.

Doesn‘t that concern you? How are we going to pay for all this stuff? Do you really think we can just tax the hell out of the handful of 1%ers and that will solve this problem? You like to make it out to be a 1%er issue, as if that is all who needs to be targeted, but that’s a lie. They will have to tax the shyte out of everyone who actually pays taxes without substantial cuts.

That’s why the republicans shouldn’t have made it about Obamacare. They should have made it about a balanced budget and made the democrats go back home and tell all the old folks why their SS has to be cut, their medicare has to be cut, Medicaid had to be cut, folks who receive food stamps have to be cut, headstart has to be cut, because we had to add Obamacare to give able bodied adults healthcare handougs, including folks making up to 80k a year.

The reality is there never was enough money for that dumb law.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Barrack said the buck stops here when he voted for the nation to default on its debt obligations when he was a senator:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a Sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies....Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'THE BUCK STOPS HERE'. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and Grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

The guy is the biggest hypocritical farce ever to occupy the oval office.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

I stopped coming here because this thread had become too political. I temporarily forgot my policy of not discussing politics unless I am face to face with someone.

So, to change the subject - how many of you parents here dress up with your kids on Halloween (or did when they were the appropriate age)? How many of you had parents who dressed up with you when you went trick or treating?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I stopped coming here because this thread had become too political. I temporarily forgot my policy of not discussing politics unless I am face to face with someone.
So, to change the subject - how many of you parents here dress up with your kids on Halloween (or did when they were the appropriate age)? How many of you had parents who dressed up with you when you went trick or treating?
That's why I tapered off. I've been busy at work, but everytime I peek my head back in here, it's all political-y.

My parents didn't, but I sure as hell would if I had kids. The last 3 years, we've done the local zombie walk because it's just fun to have an excuse to dress up. It's this Saturday, but we're working on the house and I'm on call for work, so I don't think we're going to.

Since: Mar 11

Mt. Greylock

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

Great posts Sublime, but I too am going to shift my political posting elsewhere.
A noted observer

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

Talking politics isn't so wrong. Some just don't do it right. Too much is made of debt ceilings. The debt ceiling is spending already approved by Congress. If they had a problem with spending on this or that, they should have dealt with it then. This is like going back to Home Depot months later wanting to renegotiate what you paid for materials to build the addition on the house you don't own and, oh, BTW, you're gonna torch the place if you don't get your way. Make sense? Well, neither does NOT raising the debt ceiling like we did for all the white presidents of both parties since someone invented the debt ceiling. Raising the debt ceiling won't hurt anything. Defaulting on payments will.

It's a pretty easy call, really. It's a perfunctory political act.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

The NFL's big issue right now is concussions and head safety.

I just noticed the shirt my 7 year old is wearing has a football helmet laying on the ground with the words Head Hunter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

53 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealDave 1,084,392
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Dale 175,209
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 22 min ronnie 4
glitch plagued obama care website cost us ameri... 57 min hands on AR 1
More Violence in Chicago in a Violence Filled C... 1 hr Culture Auditor 3
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr truth 49,025
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr voice of peace 68,069
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info