“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92561 Oct 10, 2013
I stopped coming here because this thread had become too political. I temporarily forgot my policy of not discussing politics unless I am face to face with someone.

So, to change the subject - how many of you parents here dress up with your kids on Halloween (or did when they were the appropriate age)? How many of you had parents who dressed up with you when you went trick or treating?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#92562 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I stopped coming here because this thread had become too political. I temporarily forgot my policy of not discussing politics unless I am face to face with someone.
So, to change the subject - how many of you parents here dress up with your kids on Halloween (or did when they were the appropriate age)? How many of you had parents who dressed up with you when you went trick or treating?
That's why I tapered off. I've been busy at work, but everytime I peek my head back in here, it's all political-y.

My parents didn't, but I sure as hell would if I had kids. The last 3 years, we've done the local zombie walk because it's just fun to have an excuse to dress up. It's this Saturday, but we're working on the house and I'm on call for work, so I don't think we're going to.

“Non mollare mai”

Since: Mar 11

Land of Enchantment

#92563 Oct 10, 2013
Great posts Sublime, but I too am going to shift my political posting elsewhere.
A noted observer

Roselle, IL

#92564 Oct 10, 2013
Talking politics isn't so wrong. Some just don't do it right. Too much is made of debt ceilings. The debt ceiling is spending already approved by Congress. If they had a problem with spending on this or that, they should have dealt with it then. This is like going back to Home Depot months later wanting to renegotiate what you paid for materials to build the addition on the house you don't own and, oh, BTW, you're gonna torch the place if you don't get your way. Make sense? Well, neither does NOT raising the debt ceiling like we did for all the white presidents of both parties since someone invented the debt ceiling. Raising the debt ceiling won't hurt anything. Defaulting on payments will.

It's a pretty easy call, really. It's a perfunctory political act.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#92565 Oct 10, 2013
The NFL's big issue right now is concussions and head safety.

I just noticed the shirt my 7 year old is wearing has a football helmet laying on the ground with the words Head Hunter.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#92566 Oct 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
The NFL's big issue right now is concussions and head safety.

I just noticed the shirt my 7 year old is wearing has a football helmet laying on the ground with the words Head Hunter.
I'm saddened, but not surprised that shirts like that are made for kids. Bigger concern is that someone actually bought that for your son.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92567 Oct 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>The rights to the Beatles songs are owned by the Michael Jackson estate. McCartney has no say in how they are used.
Paul liked them using it. He advocated in the early season and they sang "Silly Love Songs" in S2.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92568 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saddened, but not surprised that shirts like that are made for kids. Bigger concern is that someone actually bought that for your son.
Those insi[id Aeroppstale and AE and Hollister crap stores do that all the time. They make some idiotic double entendre that some parents are too dumb to figure out (or don't care).

I had a student show up with a whale on his AE shirt with the word 'endowed' under it. I explained it before I sent him to ISS.*sigh*
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92569 Oct 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Thanks, all. Staying in the hosp another night. They'll drain the other lung today to send me home tomorrow in the best possible shape.
:(
[[e-hug]]

Angela,
I will be in Minneapolis in early November for a conference. At the convention center. How far are you from there?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#92570 Oct 10, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>Those insi[id Aeroppstale and AE and Hollister crap stores do that all the time. They make some idiotic double entendre that some parents are too dumb to figure out (or don't care).

I had a student show up with a whale on his AE shirt with the word 'endowed' under it. I explained it before I sent him to ISS.*sigh*
My MIL bought my older son a shirt from Old Navy that said "Hot Dogging It" with a picture of a hot dog. I know that can mean doing really cool tricks while surfing or skating, but it has another pretty common slang meaning (check Urban Dictionary). She bought it on clearance and I threw it away a soon as I brought it home.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#92571 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My MIL does most of the clothes shopping for him and we pay her for it. She does not work and loves nothing more than finding clothes at Macy's and Dillard's that has been marked down like 90%. I can just about guarantee that she barely looked at what it said. She saw football helmet, knows I like football, and probably got it for $4. Sold.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#92572 Oct 10, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul liked them using it. He advocated in the early season and they sang "Silly Love Songs" in S2.
Paul was always the poppy one.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#92573 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My MIL bought my older son a shirt from Old Navy that said "Hot Dogging It" with a picture of a hot dog. I know that can mean doing really cool tricks while surfing or skating, but it has another pretty common slang meaning (check Urban Dictionary). She bought it on clearance and I threw it away a soon as I brought it home.
Threw it away? You have something against refunds?
And really, that seems like a huge over-reaction. Is this the shirt?

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/moda/old-navy-al...

Nothing about this shirt even hints and the double meaning, and unless you're into genital torture or walk around plugging every phrase you see into urban dictionary, this shirt means nothing.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#92574 Oct 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Threw it away? You have something against refunds?
And really, that seems like a huge over-reaction. Is this the shirt?

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/moda/old-navy-al...

Nothing about this shirt even hints and the double meaning, and unless you're into genital torture or walk around plugging every phrase you see into urban dictionary, this shirt means nothing.
I'm not going out of my way to refund a $4 shirt. And not genital torture (I had never heard of that one). This one was a pretty well known term among my group of friends (don't judge) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...

Plus, the shirt is just ugly.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92575 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I love dressing up with the kids! But it's usually something really lazy, like a witch. I got a great hat from the dollar section at Target a few years ago and I have a cape, so it's my costume of choice. I get compliments from other moms, and I have to laugh because I think it's a total cop-out!

I don't think my mom ever dressed up and came out with me. I don't think I would have wanted her to anyway. And I'll stop when the kids ask me to even though I will miss it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#92576 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going out of my way to refund a $4 shirt. And not genital torture (I had never heard of that one). This one was a pretty well known term among my group of friends (don't judge) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
Plus, the shirt is just ugly.
I've never heard that term used in any nefarious way. Additionally, your link led to one definition. My link leads to another.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php... .

I've never heard either, so I don't think either is very common. I think most people would associate it with the "showing of" meaning. And if someone does first think of one of these alternate meanings, so what. Do you think they would automatically assume that your kid was wearing it cause of that meaning? Unless someone's clothing is overtly offensive, I don't think most people would put that much thought into it.

A few years ago, Target was selling t-shirts with the number 88. Seems pretty innocuous to me. Apparently some associate that with Hitler. H is the 8th letter, therefore 88 = Heil Hitler. Some people flipped out and Target pulled the shirt. I thought it was ridiculous. The vast majority of people will just see a number. The fact that some fringe element has associated it with something else is negligible as far as I'm concerned.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#92577 Oct 10, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I've never been a costume person. My costumes are typically created with crap I already own. When I go trick or treating, I'm not dressed up. Only time I costume it up is for a costume party. We have one at the end of the month and my wife has already gone out and gotten stuff. I'm putting forth zero effort. Will concoct something day of.
knock knock

Roselle, IL

#92578 Oct 10, 2013
Bears:knock knock

Eli Manning: Who's there"

Bears: Owen

Eli Manning: Owen who?

Bears: Owen six!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#92579 Oct 10, 2013
knock knock wrote:
Bears:knock knock

Eli Manning: Who's there"

Bears: Owen

Eli Manning: Owen who?

Bears: Owen six!
Love it! Gotta borrow this one :)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#92580 Oct 10, 2013
Hey Race?

Mock mock, mock mock.

They Might Be Giants, then again , they might not.

Mock Mock

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min flack 1,156,112
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 22 min Roxie Darling 1,537
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Learn to Read 182,146
laptop online shopping singapore 40 min Tan 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 47 min Earthling-1 49,345
Triple Word Game (Dec '11) 53 min boundary painter 968
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr boundary painter 4,794
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News