Comments
91,061 - 91,080 of 97,916 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#92471 Oct 8, 2013
okay, i don't have good news as such - but maybe you topix people can help me out.

we were planning a family vacation next week - from Wisconsin to Florida with four kids - ages 4,6,7 and 8). We are driving - and to break up the trip - we are planning on leaving Milwaukee about midnight next thursday - getting to Mammoth Cave Kentucky in the morning sometime. Our plan was to spend the day do active things exploring the caves to get the kids tired out and then getting back in the car and make it as far as we can.

But now that Mammoth Cave may be shut down next friday, we are looking for alternatives in that area for 4 young children.

They've never ridden horses, but I'm sure that would love to try that. I see online that there is a park that has zip lines - I think they might like that.

I doesn't even have to be Kentucky - that was just a good seven or eight hours into our trip - and we thought that it would be a good stopping point.

Maybe some of you would have ideas to wear out some kids.(Even if their parents may be a bit exhausted from the drive).

thanks

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#92472 Oct 8, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure we do b/c the more mature of us know you would rather have Aunt Flo than the crap that awaits you when she stops visiting -- and I mean due to age not pregnancy.
Am I right Pelly?
o\^/o
}

(If that turned out, it was m blowing raspberries)
Hey the perk with losing Aunt Flo is a senior discount and getting into movies cheaper.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92474 Oct 8, 2013
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
okay, i don't have good news as such - but maybe you topix people can help me out.
we were planning a family vacation next week - from Wisconsin to Florida with four kids - ages 4,6,7 and 8). We are driving - and to break up the trip - we are planning on leaving Milwaukee about midnight next thursday - getting to Mammoth Cave Kentucky in the morning sometime. Our plan was to spend the day do active things exploring the caves to get the kids tired out and then getting back in the car and make it as far as we can.
But now that Mammoth Cave may be shut down next friday, we are looking for alternatives in that area for 4 young children.
They've never ridden horses, but I'm sure that would love to try that. I see online that there is a park that has zip lines - I think they might like that.
I doesn't even have to be Kentucky - that was just a good seven or eight hours into our trip - and we thought that it would be a good stopping point.
Maybe some of you would have ideas to wear out some kids.(Even if their parents may be a bit exhausted from the drive).
thanks
Check out the Shaker Village which in Kentucky. It has an inn you can say at and a restored village. with re-enacters. It is in the north part of the state in Bluegrass country.. We haven't been there for a long time, but had the girls with us when they were younger and they enjoyed it.

The food was very good as well- mostly locally grown s part of teh village, and "plain" so the kids would likley eat it.

Here is the link. I really recommend it and it is just about on your route.

http://www.shakervillageky.org/

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#92475 Oct 8, 2013
Have your kids push the car for a few miles. It will wear the kids out and save you gas.
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
thanks
dahgts

Albuquerque, NM

#92476 Oct 8, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
o\^/o
}
Hey the perk with losing Aunt Flo is a senior discount and getting into movies cheaper.
yep..discount at White Castle among others. The best part is when they would skeptically look at you when you ask about the discount.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92477 Oct 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
Yeah, remember the good old days when you spoke of nothing but the Govt Shutdown and headless democrats ruining our country?
Boy, I sure miss those days....NOT!
And FWIW because I am really pissed right now...
My cat is now on steroids, and it seems to keep her chugging along, but they only gave me 2wks supply. Said I had to come in for blood work if I wanted to keep her on it. I'm like, "The cat has cancer, what could you possibly need to know beyond that?", but nope, gotta bring her in.
So I stress my dying cat, have them pull blood from her juggler vein just so I can get here more steroids. Oh! The good news they tell me, is that now I can get the steroids for a whole year because they have this magic blood sample....
MY CAT DOES NOT HAVE A FRIGGING YEAR!!! The gross insensitivity of these people is just appalling. Nothing but a reason to charge me $160 for $18 in GD pills.
Yeah, that $160 paid for a blood draw and getting her temperature taken...BS MF's.
No compassion, not even basic logic (gee, dying cat with cancer, steroids seem to make here more comfortable, but lets do needless blood work to make sure she can keep taking it for short time she has left.)
<quoted text>
It's all about $$.

Location hidden

#92478 Oct 8, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
o\^/o
}
It looks more like your boobs are sagging down by aunt flo.

<runs>

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92479 Oct 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Here it is:
http://tosh.comedycentral.com/segments/video-...
After the ad, it's only a minute long, I think.
That was GREAT!!! So funny!!!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92480 Oct 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
Have your kids push the car for a few miles. It will wear the kids out and save you gas.
<quoted text>
My MIL has taken the girls on several road trips and her secret for wearing the girls out is to always stay at a hotel with a pool. After about an hour in the water, they pass right out.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92481 Oct 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
Yeah, remember the good old days when you spoke of nothing but the Govt Shutdown and headless democrats ruining our country?
My cat is now on steroids, and it seems to keep her chugging along, but they only gave me 2wks supply. Said I had to come in for blood work if I wanted to keep her on it. I'm like, "The cat has cancer, what could you possibly need to know beyond that?", but nope, gotta bring her in.
So I stress my dying cat, have them pull blood from her juggler vein just so I can get here more steroids. Oh! The good news they tell me, is that now I can get the steroids for a whole year because they have this magic blood sample....
MY CAT DOES NOT HAVE A FRIGGING YEAR!!! The gross insensitivity of these people is just appalling. Nothing but a reason to charge me $160 for $18 in GD pills.
Yeah, that $160 paid for a blood draw and getting her temperature taken...BS MF's.
No compassion, not even basic logic (gee, dying cat with cancer, steroids seem to make here more comfortable, but lets do needless blood work to make sure she can keep taking it for short time she has left.)
<quoted text>
That's crazy!
WHy make the poor kitty suffer???

My vet was really good about stuff like that. We had a diabetic Rottweiler that was in bad shapte. We had to give him a lot of insulin twice a day. At least when the doctor wanted to check up on him, they didn't charge us for the office visit or anything. They knew we were spending so much on insulin and needles.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#92482 Oct 8, 2013
Today's Prudie (chat) is pretty good:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92483 Oct 8, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks more like your boobs are sagging down by aunt flo.
<runs>
Faster, Farther... runs, that is.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92484 Oct 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
My year old kitten is on steroids because she has some skin allergies and itches and bites herself raw. We are asked to do blood work about every 6 months.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92485 Oct 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Today's Prudie (chat) is pretty good:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...
Great minds.... I was just about to put a link to it, too. Can you believe that dad that wants to sue the owners of the house where his daughter migh have gotten pregnant???

West Palm Beach, FL

#92486 Oct 8, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great minds.... I was just about to put a link to it, too. Can you believe that dad that wants to sue the owners of the house where his daughter migh have gotten pregnant???
It has to be someone's fault that his little princess was defiled! Someone other than her parents or herself, of course....

The one about the nosy boss is annoying too. The person who wrote that going to HR could be bad because they'd side with the boss has a point - HR is there to protect the company - if the boss asks about medical conditions, it's illegal. An employment lawyer is who the LW should be contacting.

Location hidden

#92487 Oct 8, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Faster, Farther... runs, that is.
Ahahahahahaha!

West Palm Beach, FL

#92488 Oct 8, 2013
*BUT if the boss asks....

Typing all my comments in a 1"x2" little box makes proofreading very tricky.

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#92489 Oct 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text> The person who wrote that going to HR could be bad because they'd side with the boss has a point - HR is there to protect the company - if the boss asks about medical conditions, it's illegal. An employment lawyer is who the LW should be contacting.
The problem, as i see it, is most people don't work for huge companies.

She describes her boss as a pretty good boss who give his employees time off when the want or need it.

At this point, she is anticipating that he is going to be too intrusive - but she doesn't know it firsthand.

I will tell you as a boss of people who have had personal issues that they have had to deal with - it is easier to deal with them if the employee is frank with me about the issue. Then, I can reallocate workload as it is needed to work around the issue.

Now, if anything, my employees all trust that I am not going to speak of their issue with anyone else. It's not always easy. One time we had a huge event at work that required everyone to put in a lot of effort. Two employees came to me with issues that were sensitive and needed time off right away.(We were an office of 7 people, so 2 was a lot of missing man-hours).

Other employees criticized me for granting "vacation" time at this sensitive time.

months later, it became clear why I acted as i did.

However, if the employees had not shared why they needed time off, I would have had a hard time granting it.

And I have had employees with medical issues similar to the ones stated here. But knowing that, I could tell one employee - "I just want you to do whatever you have to do. Take whatever time you need - and you don't need to tell me every time you need some time - even if is just to attend to some personal - nonmedical issues.

But, again, if i didn't have an idea of the issue, I may not have responded as an employee advocate.

I can understand how one might not want to discuss the intimate details of the issue - or how one is going to go about treating the problem. I would hope an employee would come to me and tell me "I have breast cancer, but I'm having a really hard time talking about it. I'm going to have to take some time off to deal with it over the next few months. I hope you understand.". And then if intrusive questions do come forward, deal with those with a "I hope you don't mind if I don't discuss any details of my treatment".

Try first to make your boss your advocate - then only deal with him as an adversary if it becomes necessary.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92490 Oct 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
It has to be someone's fault that his little princess was defiled! Someone other than her parents or herself, of course....
The one about the nosy boss is annoying too. The person who wrote that going to HR could be bad because they'd side with the boss has a point - HR is there to protect the company - if the boss asks about medical conditions, it's illegal. An employment lawyer is who the LW should be contacting.
Yeah, he's looking to blame anyone he can for the fact that his daughter (and her beau) made a REALLY bad choice. Way to teach the daughter to own up to her mistakes.

I agree with you that HR is there to protect teh company and not the employee - I've always said that. If she's that concerned, she might need to talk to an attorney. Stinks that you can't trust yur boss to keep a confidence, though.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#92491 Oct 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, we need something fun here.
I could punch Sublime in the crotch...

Glad to hear benign! Similar thing with me in August: had routine chest x-ray (once a year for physical) and it had a spot. I have a permanent granuloma (she said probably from isolating TB---wtf).
Did another just to make sure and it hit the liver with a "suspicious lesion." Ick. Another test showed nothing.....repeating in feb.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min LRS 177,332
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Incognito4Ever 1,099,763
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 min Cali Girl 2014dal 49,447
The Israel Lobby Eliminates Another Critic 18 min Jew Snakes 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 31 min JOEL 68,935
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Silly times 4,662
Engagement Ring 2 hr rodeo3queen 4
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search