|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Well- parenthetically speaking- words strung together don't get much more ambiguous than the 2A. We don't arm prisoners or toddlers (on purpose)for example, so, what part of "shall not be infringed" are you people letting the government get away with?
I'm not letting the courts get away with anything. Courts don't always do what I say they should do.

I have my own thoughts on how judges should interpret laws, but other judges feel different and there is precedent. If I were a judge, the language seems pretty clear to me ... I don't have to like it ... I don't have to agree with it ... that's how a good judge should operate ... just interpret the law without your own thoughts on the subject coming into the equation ... be like Spock ... no emotional attachment or interest ... it's hard to do, but that should be the first thing every judge strives to do, IMO, when interpreting laws.

I'm pretty sure states would not allow toddlers or prisoners to be armed, btw. This is Hyperbole.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The current system already cares for those who are less fortunate. Is it lesser care;yes, but even under Obamacare they will have lesser care.
I don't see lesser care as a sin. If you want the best care you need to earn it and pay for it. Nothing but a basic safety net should be free in life. A basic safety net should not, by definition, be all that wonderful. If you want more than that, than you need to put in the effort to make that happen.
Go in the corner with your marbles and don't share. We're okay with you doing that.

Most people understand there are people who cannot work to earn it for many different reasons. Also, there are people who, no matter how hard they work, under the current system their preexisting condition renders them uninsurable. I'm not going to list everyone who is unable to "work for it" as you put it.

There will always be fraud and lazy people. Doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Hey, who saw the flap with Sinead and Miley Cyrus. And does anyone else think Miley Cyrus is getting even more irritating?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

I guess there are two landfalls for Tropical Storm Karen.

Is that the one they fear will turn into a hurricane?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Well- parenthetically speaking- words strung together don't get much more ambiguous than the 2A. We don't arm prisoners or toddlers (on purpose)for example, so, what part of "shall not be infringed" are you people letting the government get away with?
There are some things which are assumed and which don't have to be stated.

If you reference a wheel you do not have to say it is round every time.

When the 2nd Amendment was drafted, people meant human beings not otherwise under a legal impediment. Legal impediments at the time meant being a lunatic, a child ( don't ask me what the age of majority was in 1790. I don't remember), a woman or a slave.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Go in the corner with your marbles and don't share. We're okay with you doing that.
Most people understand there are people who cannot work to earn it for many different reasons. Also, there are people who, no matter how hard they work, under the current system their preexisting condition renders them uninsurable. I'm not going to list everyone who is unable to "work for it" as you put it.
There will always be fraud and lazy people. Doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water.
I don't have a problem with Obamacare forbidding insurance company's from denying folks insurance for preexisting conditions. It's one of the few aspects I like.

People who cannot work, can go on disability and get medicare. If they can't qualify for disability, then they can work. Do you understand that?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
Sure it does. They shouldn't have had those babies in the first place. <eyeroll>

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>You don't understand any part of "...shall not be infringed."
You don't understand that the 2nd Amendment only applies to the federal government. It was only through some f'd up contorted rational that the SC in 2010 said the 14th amendment incorporates the 2nd amendment and applies it to states. I don't agree with that. If the 14th amendment intended to incorporate the language of the 2nd amendment would be in the 14th amendment. The SC uses all these goofy tests that they make up to see what articles of the constitution applies to the state or not. Once the test is made up in one situation, through precedent it gets applied in others ... the whole case law gets all f'd up. I think laws should be narrowly tailored according to intent, not take on a life of their own that no one ever intended they have.

So, if I were a judge, I would say the 2nd Amendment does not apply to states, because I don't feel that was the intent of the 14th amendment.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Toj wrote:
Let's start with WEEKEND PLANS people. Red isn't around to prompt that.
Tonight: Just me and Nunu, hanging out. Lulu has a pizza party to go to.

Sat: Prep for Lulu's 8th birthday party, which is going to be a pool party at our local YWCA in the evening. 20 wet kids. Yay!

Sun: I know I'm supposed to be doing something, but I can't quite remember what that is right now. I hope it's not too important...

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a problem with Obamacare forbidding insurance company's from denying folks insurance for preexisting conditions. It's one of the few aspects I like.
People who cannot work, can go on disability and get medicare. If they can't qualify for disability, then they can work. Do you understand that?
Which is it then? Affordable Care Act can be good or it's evil?

You don't want it. You've been spouting against it for days. How would those people with pre-existing conditions get coverage if not for the Affordable Care Act?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Tonight: Just me and Nunu, hanging out. Lulu has a pizza party to go to.
Sat: Prep for Lulu's 8th birthday party, which is going to be a pool party at our local YWCA in the evening. 20 wet kids. Yay!
Sun: I know I'm supposed to be doing something, but I can't quite remember what that is right now. I hope it's not too important...
I did pool parties for birthdays. They're fun.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. They shouldn't have had those babies in the first place. <eyeroll>
That made me laugh!

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is it then? Affordable Care Act can be good or it's evil?
You don't want it. You've been spouting against it for days.
Oh, so now I have to be a partisan hack and deny that it has any aspect that I like?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>How would those people with pre-existing conditions get coverage if not for the Affordable Care Act?
How? Easy. The democrats could have just as well passed the "Pre-existing Coverage Act" instead of the "Affordable Care Act." Did you really need me to explain that to you?

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Err, that would be "Pre-Existing Condition Coverage Act."

I could have even wrote the bill for them, in probably two or three sentences, and I'm not even known for my brevity!!!

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Toj wrote:
Hey, who saw the flap with Sinead and Miley Cyrus. And does anyone else think Miley Cyrus is getting even more irritating?
She is - and I didn't think that wa possible! It's a shame. She had a lot of potential and she's just going the way of the typical Disney child star.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Re: Miley Cyrus

I read the letter from Sinead O'Connor to her. In the letter she makes reference to her obvious talent and not prostituting her self. That mad me laugh. The first time I ever cared enough to listen to Miley Cyrus was when she was on stage singing with Sheryl Crow. I could not understand how anyone could stomach listening to her. Her voice is terrible. So this idea of "obvious talent" is a joke. Her talent is prostituting herself. And what's sad is, he was lot hotter with the long hair before she started prostituting herself. Now she's kinda scary looking.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Ok, yOURANASSHOLE>

Now what?
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Just say you can't hang. I'll vouch for that!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Would love to stay and ramble on and on about nothing in particular, but its happy hour, and as a favor to Red, I'm going!
dahgts

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
work where that pays enough for the high cost of insurance, let alone to support themselves or a family. college graduates can't find jobs. it's easy to say but hard to do. most people out there want to work. thousands show up in Chicago when a Wal-Mart opens for a few hundred openngs, just as an example. there always be slackards, nothing new there. you seem to expect some kind of utopia that will never exist. I wish for that also.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

RACE wrote:
Would love to stay and ramble on and on about nothing in particular, but its happy hour, and as a favor to Red, I'm going!
YOu're such a giving and supporting friend! SHe'll appreciate that!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,941 - 90,960 of96,212
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

105 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Realtime 1,036,288
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,500
Abby 4-23 7 min squishymama 13
Amy 4-23 10 min PEllen 22
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min mdbuilder 43,125
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 18 min Dream Crystal 7,554
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 21 min Dream Crystal 1,024
ask amy 4-22 1 hr Sublime1 67
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••