Comments
90,741 - 90,760 of 97,948 Comments Last updated Sunday

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92135 Oct 2, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>So, the babes just aren't asking for enough money? Da chicks are making "bad choices"?
That sounds like: "Duhhhh...people forced banks to sell them houses they couldn't afford and then, duuuhhhh...we had a recession!"
You people are all about "individual responsibility" but it seems that means pointing fingers at individuals while pretending corporations have no say in the matters. Like, they wanna pay more! Da biotches are too dumb to ask!"
No, dude, the labor department is wrong!!! They are controlled by tea party members, with an agenda!

Individual choices would be like a woman getting pregnant and staying out of the workforce to raise children while the children are young, like my wife has done. She's not going to be making the same as a man in her same field who didn't leave the workforce for 9 years like she did, nor would she think it unfair that she doesn't.

Now feminists would say, we need to do more to help women raise children and work, but that's not what my wife wanted. She didn't want to work. She's just wanted to be a SAHM. That alone was enough on her plate.

Another individual choices would be the fact that in many families (although this is changing) men tend to be the primary income earners. Because of this, especially where the man makes a lot more $ their souse, the family is more likely to relocate if a better job opportunity that offers more money appears for the man compared to the woman.

Think of it like this ... let's say I make $50 an hour, but my wife makes $15 an hour ... let's say my wife can get a job making $25 an hour, but we would have to move a few hours away ... she's probably not going to take that job, because I'd need to find a new one and we probably couldn't just live on her $25 an hour, until I found one.

Let's say the tables are turned and I can get a job a few hours away making $60 an hour, but my wife would need to find a new job ... we are more likely to move in the case of me receiving a higher wage, because we can survive on my $60 an hour (which is almost the combined $65 we were making before the move) until my wife finds a comparable job.

The fact that men and families will more often relocate to chase dollars, alone skew the statistics.

There are many other nondiscriminatory reasons that could explain it as well.

Location hidden

#92136 Oct 2, 2013
And really, Ferrerman, how do you rectify those situations.

How do you make women more likely to uproot their family and move across the country to take jobs? How do you make women not take a leave from work for raising children?

Also if it is things of this nature, what do you do to employers to prevent the income gap that arises from these types of decisions. Should you even do anything? Should an employer pay a woman who has been out of the workforce for 9 years the same as a man who hasn't? In my hypo up above, should the employer who is only paying the wife $15 an hour be forced to pay her $25 because if she were willing to relocate a few hours away she could make that much working for someone else? I don't think so.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92137 Oct 2, 2013
Can any of the computer gurus tell me if it's going to make much of a difference if I buy a laptop with 1. ghz vs. 2.20 ghz? We just use it fo surfing the net, my kid plays some (not high graphic) games and stuff. Not a whole lot. I sometimes (though rarely) use if for movies and (alsorarely) to play a DVD.

I had 2 laptops, but one kicked the bucket a week or 2 ago. I need a second computer and don't really want a PC.

Thanks!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92138 Oct 2, 2013
* I meant I sometimes use it for work

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92139 Oct 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now feminists would say, we need to do more to help women raise children and work, but that's not what my wife wanted. She didn't want to work. She's just wanted to be a SAHM. That alone was enough on her plate.
This is a blatant mischaracterization of a feminist.
I feminist would say a woman should have a CHOICE as to whether to wants to work or be a SAHM.
People who say that woman should work only are not feminists. You making up crap again?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#92140 Oct 2, 2013
Butchered that, didn't I? Hee, hee. That's what fly-by posting gets you.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#92141 Oct 2, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
If unemployment is all you know about ECONOMICS??? Just admit it? You have yet to be RIGHT, about anything.....
You have yet to prove me WRONG about anything........

Back up your claim that Republicans are against women and minorities. You can't.

Back up your claim that Republicans are responsible for the shutdown. You can't.

Sucks to always be wrong, doesn't it?

Location hidden

#92143 Oct 2, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
Can any of the computer gurus tell me if it's going to make much of a difference if I buy a laptop with 1. ghz vs. 2.20 ghz? We just use it fo surfing the net, my kid plays some (not high graphic) games and stuff. Not a whole lot. I sometimes (though rarely) use if for movies and (alsorarely) to play a DVD.
I had 2 laptops, but one kicked the bucket a week or 2 ago. I need a second computer and don't really want a PC.
Thanks!
I wouldn't say I'm a guru, but I know a thing or two. Is there a number after the 1. on the first processor?

How many cores? What are the other specs, especially the RAM? What operating system are you running? What is the price difference?

You don't need a top of the line set up for your use, but if the first one is 1ghz and there is nothing after the 1., that is kind of the absolute bare bones minimum. Without knowing more, I'd spring for the faster one, but some additional info would be helpful.
Timmy

United States

#92144 Oct 2, 2013
Why don't you pull your head out of you butt and take a look around. Maybe then you won't be wrong all of the time.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Back up your claim that Republicans are against women and minorities. You can't.
Back up your claim that Republicans are responsible for the shutdown. You can't.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92145 Oct 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone, with minimal braincells, know's that the current crop of republicans aren't as women/minority friendly as the democrats.....How did Mitt Romeny do with women/minoritys?,there is your proof, Buckaroo.....I can't prove it, but am pretty certain that tomorrow's sky will be blue.....

Location hidden

#92146 Oct 2, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a blatant mischaracterization of a feminist.
I feminist would say a woman should have a CHOICE as to whether to wants to work or be a SAHM.
People who say that woman should work only are not feminists. You making up crap again?
Where did I say that feminists say women should work only? Who is making crap up again? Clearly it is you.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92148 Oct 2, 2013
CONSUMERS BOOST SPENDING IN AUGUST...(AP) 9-28-13....U.S. consumers increased their spending slightly last monthas their income grew at the fastest pace in six months. The figures point to only modest economic growth in the July to September quarter....Consumer's spending on goods and services rose 0.3 percent in August, the Commerce Department said Friday. That's up from 0.2 percent gain in July, which was slightly more than the 0.1 percent reported last month....Income rose 0.4 percent in August, the best gain since February and up from a 0.2 percent July Increase......ECONOMIC DATA LIKE THIS, HAS BEEN READILY AVAILABLE......For anyone that dispute's how incredibly, this administration has accomplished a near miracle and againest a totally hostile tea party group of House republicans, and especially considering the global ditch, where GW left it.....

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#92149 Oct 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I say that feminists say women should work only? Who is making crap up again? Clearly it is you.
Taken from YOUR post:

"Now feminists would say, we need to do more to help women raise children and work, but that's not what my wife wanted. She didn't want to work. She's just wanted to be a SAHM. That alone was enough on her plate."

Pray tell what were you trying to say in the above other than what I took from it. I'd appreciate a clarification if I may.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#92150 Oct 2, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/showbiz/michael...

Michael Jackson death trial. AEG not guilty.

I really want to know whether the jury found anything about Jackson contributing to his own death.

It is too bad he is dead, but he was a (very talented) druggie from the quintessentially dysfunctional family.

This lawsuit never should have been brought.On of the more dramatic examples of trying to blame someone else for their own ( her MJ's) actions

It pushed his daughter to the brink of suicide. Didn't his mother have any idea of the kind of person he was and what he did? Apparently not.

Too bad he is dead.

“reign in blood”

Brooklyn, NY

#92151 Oct 2, 2013
Timmy wrote:
Why don't you pull your head out of you butt and take a look around. Maybe then you won't be wrong all of the time.
<quoted text>
I'm wrong all of the time, yet you can't prove once.

K

“reign in blood”

Brooklyn, NY

#92152 Oct 2, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone, with minimal braincells, know's that the current crop of republicans aren't as women/minority friendly as the democrats.....
If everyone knows...... Then it should be easy to prove..... So.... prove it!

“reign in blood”

Brooklyn, NY

#92153 Oct 2, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
CONSUMERS BOOST SPENDING IN AUGUST...(AP) 9-28-13....U.S. consumers increased their spending slightly last monthas their income grew at the fastest pace in six months. The figures point to only modest economic growth in the July to September quarter....Consumer's spending on goods and services rose 0.3 percent in August, the Commerce Department said Friday. That's up from 0.2 percent gain in July, which was slightly more than the 0.1 percent reported last month....Income rose 0.4 percent in August, the best gain since February and up from a 0.2 percent July Increase......ECONOMIC DATA LIKE THIS, HAS BEEN READILY AVAILABLE......For anyone that dispute's how incredibly, this administration has accomplished a near miracle and againest a totally hostile tea party group of House republicans, and especially considering the global ditch, where GW left it.....
Ignoring the fact the AP is a LIBERAL site, would you listen to yourself??!

0.1%, 0.2%, 0.3%...

SOME RECOVERY!!!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#92154 Oct 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/ showbiz/michael-jackson-death- trial-verdict/index.html
Michael Jackson death trial. AEG not guilty.
I really want to know whether the jury found anything about Jackson contributing to his own death.
It is too bad he is dead, but he was a (very talented) druggie from the quintessentially dysfunctional family.
This lawsuit never should have been brought.On of the more dramatic examples of trying to blame someone else for their own ( her MJ's) actions
It pushed his daughter to the brink of suicide. Didn't his mother have any idea of the kind of person he was and what he did? Apparently not.
Too bad he is dead.
I agree with you on the blame game. The mother is in denial.

“reign in blood”

Brooklyn, NY

#92155 Oct 2, 2013
I'm a liberal. I can't prove anything. But you should just accept what I say as fact. A 0.1% increase in something is great progress. Just trust me. I'm a liberal!

<seriously, this is how these people actually think. No wonder liberalism is dying>

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#92156 Oct 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignoring the fact the AP is a LIBERAL site, would you listen to yourself??!
0.1%, 0.2%, 0.3%...
SOME RECOVERY!!!
Here's something on the recovery of the economy (Republican):

Assembly Republican Whip Scott Rumana, R-Passaic, Bergen, Essex and Morris, said today’s news reports that New Jersey’s economy is on the upswing as evidenced by the growing opportunities for jobs in the information technology field (IT) and the state’s high ranking for its improved business climate are further evidence of the economic recovery the state is experiencing.

Dice.com , an employment listing website, reported that companies looking to hire in the IT field had increased over five percent from a year ago, outpacing other states on the East Coast, while the Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated New Jersey had added 3,600 IT jobs by the end of July. In addition to the IT news, the state’s economic improvement was evidenced by a BusinessFacilities.com report which ranked New Jersey fifth for its “most improved business climate,” and its second place ranking in biotech employment and pharmaceutical employment.

“An important takeaway from these reports is that our economic growth is diversified,” stated Rumana, who is a member on the Red Tape Review Commission, whose objective is to help businesses navigate government bureaucracy.“Jobs are being created in our traditionally strong sectors as well as in IT, which is a worldwide market. Our ability to compete and attract this diversity of professions speaks to the fact that our state’s strategy for turning our economy around by being more business friendly is working.We are poised to continue the economic momentum we achieved through the first six months of the year and the private sector job growth we have seen since Governor Christie came to office three years ago.”

Hey, maybe you need to talk to Tonka on how to switch to an IT job.:D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min THE DEVIL 1,101,339
Word (Dec '08) 29 min andet1987 4,664
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 46,375
Michelle Obama, f/k/a MICHAEL LAVAUGHN ROBINSON 1 hr FXX 3
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots??? 1 hr My Flowers 5
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Whiny1 4,683
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr I Hate You 49,487
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 177,520
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••