Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92218 Oct 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to assume, that if roles were reversed and I posted about a medical problem and Angela said something "political", you wouldn't have anything to say about it.
Well, you'd be wrong. See what happens when you assume?

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92219 Oct 3, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>analogy
Processor is how smart you are. How fast you can think
Ram is how big the surface area on your desk is. The bigger, the more files you can open at once to work on.
Hard drive is your file cabinet. Bigger cabinet, more stuff you can store.
External hard drive is that file cabinet in the hall closet
Thanks! I've been thinking about whether I need an external HD or not. They might be pricey for what little stuff I have.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92220 Oct 3, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>go online. I got a win 7 hp a few months ago. Not a budget model, so i can't recommend it for your needs, but hp, dell, and toshiba all had a page for the models thdy were still selling with win 7
I'll look again. I didn't see much of anything on Dell or hp

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92221 Oct 3, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I've been thinking about whether I need an external HD or not. They might be pricey for what little stuff I have.
You can always get one of those later if and once you max out the internal one. By the time you need one they will be even cheaper.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92222 Oct 3, 2013
RACE wrote:
I think you just like writing the word RAM!
:)
<quoted text>
:)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92223 Oct 3, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll look again. I didn't see much of anything on Dell or hp
I've gotten the best deals online for computers and I have an HP laptop with all the bells and whistles (touch + keyboard, quad, lots of RAM and HD plus lifetime tech support). Was able to pay a bit at a time for 6 months free interest, too.

I got mine at QVC -- it was their "special value" at the time. I'd check there at least to see the reviews of different computers. Also, I'd go on Amazon to price computers and read reviews.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Brooklyn, NY

#92224 Oct 3, 2013
What exactly did I say that was so hateful? All I said is she can go on obamacare now. She's been gloating about obamacare for years. What's so hateful/hurtful about that?

You people just love a reason to hate, don't you?

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92225 Oct 3, 2013
I would definitely do your homework, but for those type of specs I don't think you are going to see a huge price difference between manufacturers.

It's always best to buy when they have some sort of promotion going on, too.

I purchased a mini desk top gaming rig from dell at the end of august, got a 1 TB HD, 8 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 graphics card (I overclocked the shyte out of it), intel i7 4770 processor @ 3.4 Ghz for $1099, but I received a $200 dell gift card with it, since they were running a back to school promotion.

Factoring the gift card, it was like getting that set up for $899 ... I ran all the numbers for the components and I would have been hard pressed to build the thing myself for $899. My graphics card and processor alone would have cost me over $500, plus shipping.

Since, I needed a new monitor anyway, I used the 200 for that (well actually I used the first gift card to buy a $700 46 inch samsung tv for $500, but that came with another $200 gift card, lmao, which I used to buy a 24 inch monitor).

I don't think anyone has any promos right now, but they might around black friday, if you can wait.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#92226 Oct 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hope you're sitting down.
I was sick when I got laid off and it got worse the next day and last week. That helped me stay offline, because I was in bed much of the time. I didn't want to get sucked into a vortex of chatting online when I should be sleeping or job hunting.
Long story short, Nick made me see the doctor today and... I am facing a probable diagnosis of liver and lung cancer. Surgery (needle biopsies) on Friday.
Large (nectarine-sized?) mass on my lung, small spot on my liver, pneumonia in my right lung. The doctor was blown away, given my health otherwise, my age, and my physical activity.
No booze allowed, but my dear friend said he'd set me up with medicinal marijuana.:)
I was raised on MASH and its gallows humor. I plan to rely on that in the coming months.
Ang! I'm just seeing this and I'm so sorry....

One of my FB friends is a breast cancer survivor whose doctor regularly puts her in touch with other girls when they first get diagnosed, because she's straightforward, positive, honest, and a fighter. I know it's not exactly the same illness, but let me know if you want me to put you in touch with her.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#92227 Oct 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The bad news is you lost your health insurance when you lost your job. The good news is now you can get Obamacare! With deductibles ranging between $10,000 and $1500! How's that for free healthcare?!
That's a lot better than the insurance I had at work.

I don't believe access to health care should be linked to one's employer. I think employers have a HUGE financial burden in this and would love to be relieved of it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#92228 Oct 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
What exactly did I say that was so hateful? All I said is she can go on obamacare now. She's been gloating about obamacare for years. What's so hateful/hurtful about that?
You people just love a reason to hate, don't you?
Actually, you're wrong. I haven't "gloated" about it at all. Heck, it's not even been around for "years." Oh, unless you mean the identical plan that was put forth by Republicans under the Clinton Administration that didn't make it through congress (I think it was too soon, maybe, back then)?

I also would rather people call it by its name -- the Affordable Care Act. But when this is a success -- and it WILL be a huge success -- I love that hateful republicans who hate Obama will have his name attached to ACA forever. And it's their own fault.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#92229 Oct 3, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can always get one of those later if and once you max out the internal one. By the time you need one they will be even cheaper.
to me, the best use of an external drove is for backing up whats on your pc so if your pc crashes, you still have your data.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92230 Oct 3, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>to me, the best use of an external drove is for backing up whats on your pc so if your pc crashes, you still have your data.
That's a good idea. I just put all the stuff I would never want to lose on my external, already ... for example, all the pics my wife has taken over the years are on that.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92231 Oct 3, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>to me, the best use of an external drove is for backing up whats on your pc so if your pc crashes, you still have your data.
That's more what I thought it was for. Which, for me, consists of pictures and iTunes. I don't keep much on my computer!!!

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#92232 Oct 3, 2013
Awesome! Today's Prudie:

Dear Prudence,
When I was in high school my dream was to become a professional writer. My teachers were very encouraging but my parents refused to allow me to study creative writing in college, saying I needed to pursue something "safe" like nursing, which I did. The writing urge has never completely gone away and in the last couple of years I've come up with a unique (I think) way of dealing with it. I compose and send in made-up letters to advice columns and keep track of how many are published. Apparently I'm pretty convincing, because out of the two dozen or so I've made up, over half have made it into the paper. I get a kick out of seeing my letters published but I'm beginning to wonder if this is a little strange. I chose you to receive my first "real" letter because I usually agree with your advice. So please give me your honest opinion on my hobby. I don't feel that I'm hurting anyone but is this a strange thing for someone to do?

I Swear This Letter Is 100 Percent True

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92233 Oct 3, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Awesome! Today's Prudie:
Dear Prudence,
When I was in high school my dream was to become a professional writer. My teachers were very encouraging but my parents refused to allow me to study creative writing in college, saying I needed to pursue something "safe" like nursing, which I did. The writing urge has never completely gone away and in the last couple of years I've come up with a unique (I think) way of dealing with it. I compose and send in made-up letters to advice columns and keep track of how many are published. Apparently I'm pretty convincing, because out of the two dozen or so I've made up, over half have made it into the paper. I get a kick out of seeing my letters published but I'm beginning to wonder if this is a little strange. I chose you to receive my first "real" letter because I usually agree with your advice. So please give me your honest opinion on my hobby. I don't feel that I'm hurting anyone but is this a strange thing for someone to do?
We should have a ongoing competition to see who can get fake letters published by Amy or Abby. I think that would be hilarious. I might even be good at it ... I already have you all thinking I'm a lawyer and shyte, when really I live in my mom's basement! LMFAO

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#92234 Oct 3, 2013
Ok, so which one of us is it?
My vote is EEE, she likes writing.
j_m_w wrote:
Awesome! Today's Prudie:
Dear Prudence,

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92235 Oct 3, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Awesome! Today's Prudie:
Dear Prudence,
I really liked Prudie's answer.

On the baby gender letter, now that was obnoxious. People really do that? Guess I should not be surprised.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92236 Oct 3, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Awesome! Today's Prudie:
Dear Prudence,
Geez - what's with the gender reveal thing??? Ugh...

I'd hope that the sonogram wasn't clear enough to show the gender.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#92238 Oct 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I don't believe access to health care should be linked to one's employer.
It's not. If an employer offers it, great. But they don't HAVE to. People can get their own insurance, there are many plans available. All Obamacare is gonna do is put them out of business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,655,570
99% of abusers are democrat. 18 min Malignant-the news 4
US Media Humiliated, all in 1 day. 24 min Media is Malignant 2
Shouldn't this skank apologize B4 next session? 30 min SQUAWSKANK LIAR 9
Luke dies in The Last Jedi! 31 min Snoke kills Dumbl... 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 hr Justice Dale 243,089
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 7 hr Jaystone5 482

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages