Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92120 Oct 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it
2012 Presidential Election......nuff said?.....

Location hidden

#92121 Oct 2, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
Krystal Ball has a nice take on the shutdown. I personally appreciate the reference to Somalia as Utopia for tea partiers. Since they embrace black folks as equals, it truly would be their vision!
http://egbertowillies.com/2013/10/01/krystal-...
Kudo's......She is Dead-On......

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92122 Oct 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Affirmative action.
So you have a problem with this (it's the platform):

Support affirmative action to redress discrimination

Our commitment to civil rights is ironclad. We will restore vigorous federal enforcement of our civil rights laws for all our people, from fair housing to equal employment opportunity, from Title IX to the Americans with Disabilities Act. We support affirmative action to redress discrimination and to achieve the diversity from which all Americans benefit. We believe a dayís work is worth a dayís pay, and at a time when women still earn 77 cents for every dollar earned by men, we need stronger equal pay laws and stronger enforcement of them. We will enact the bipartisan legislation barring workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation. We are committed to equal treatment of all service members and believe all patriotic Americans should be allowed to serve our country without discrimination, persecution, or violence. We support the appointment of judges who will uphold our laws and constitutional rights, not their own narrow agendas.

And because you believe everything now is equal and this is unnecessary? You are entitled to your beliefs.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Brooklyn, NY

#92123 Oct 2, 2013
No, blue, not enuff said.

Figured you wouldn't be able to back up your claim. Thanks for proving me right once again.

And go ahead and hold onto your notion that a 2% drop in unemployment over four years is a strong momentum of economic recovery.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92124 Oct 2, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Kudo's......She is Dead-On......
I disagree, but if it makes you feel better, I'd tap that.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#92125 Oct 2, 2013
Will all you just STFU already? 3 days is more than enough time to beat this poor horse.

Location hidden

#92126 Oct 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
No, blue, not enuff said.
Figured you wouldn't be able to back up your claim. Thanks for proving me right once again.
And go ahead and hold onto your notion that a 2% drop in unemployment over four years is a strong momentum of economic recovery.
If unemployment is all you know about ECONOMICS??? Just admit it? You have yet to be RIGHT, about anything.....

Location hidden

#92127 Oct 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, but if it makes you feel better, I'd tap that.
And she is second hottest on that show, Jon Huntsman's daughter is the bomb.....
Mimi

United States

#92128 Oct 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not bad for 5:30 in the morning.
Not bad at any time.
Rather undermines Topix , though.
What are you doing up so early?
Getting ready for school.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#92129 Oct 2, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have a problem with this (it's the platform):
Support affirmative action to redress discrimination
Yes, redress discrimination by punishing folks who donít even engage in it, but happen to share the same skin color as some who do. That right there is whack job mainstream liberal thinking. Folks should be treated as individuals and judged on the basis of their individual character, talents, and accomplishments. You will never convince me that it is okay to discriminate, never.

Also the 77 cents on the dollar thing has been rebuked many times and is nothing more than left wing propaganda, which most liberals because they just want to hear views that reinforce their beliefs swallow hook, line, sinker. The actual wage gap is a few pennies and it's unexplained, which mean it may not even be caused by overt discrimination ... I can think of many reasons other than discrimination that could cause this, in fact:

"The 23-cent gap is simply the average difference between the earnings of men and women employed "full time." What is important is the "adjusted" wage gap-the figure that controls for all the relevant variables. That is what the new AAUW study explores.

The AAUW researchers looked at male and female college graduates one year after graduation. After controlling for several relevant factors (though some were left out, as we shall see), they found that the wage gap narrowed to only 6.6 cents. How much of that is attributable to discrimination? As AAUW spokesperson Lisa Maatz candidly said in an NPR interview, "We are still trying to figure that out."

One of the best studies on the wage gap was released in 2009 by the U.S. Department of Labor. It examined more than 50 peer-reviewed papers and concluded that the 23-cent wage gap "may be almost entirely the result of individual choices being made by both male and female workers." In the past, women's groups have ignored or explained away such findings.

"In fact," says the National Women's Law Center, "authoritative studies show that even when all relevant career and family attributes are taken into account, there is still a significant, unexplained gap in men's and women's earnings." Not quite. What the 2009 LABOR DEPARTMENT study showed was that when the proper controls are in place, the unexplained (adjusted) wage gap is somewhere between 4.8 and 7 cents."

Feminists such as those the National Women's Law Center have a vested interest in making a problem that barely exists seem like a huge problem. If the truth were known, there would be no reason for them to exist. Asking their opinion about women's issues, is like asking a DEA agent if we should allocate more money to fight the war on drugs.
Mimi

United States

#92130 Oct 2, 2013
RACE wrote:
Will all you just STFU already? 3 days is more than enough time to beat this poor horse.
Also, its the law. Either accept it or work to change it. But....I agree. Time to stfu.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#92131 Oct 2, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>And she is second hottest on that show, Jon Huntsman's daughter is the bomb.....
Yeah, she's hawt:

http://www.google.com/imgres...

I'd almost consider becoming a brain dead liberal for her.:p

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#92132 Oct 2, 2013
RACE wrote:
We've moved on to talking about hot liberals now. Happy?

Too bad dumb women are such a turn off to me.:p

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#92133 Oct 2, 2013
Mimi wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, its the law. Either accept it or work to change it. But....I agree. Time to stfu.
I'm with ya.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#92135 Oct 2, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>So, the babes just aren't asking for enough money? Da chicks are making "bad choices"?
That sounds like: "Duhhhh...people forced banks to sell them houses they couldn't afford and then, duuuhhhh...we had a recession!"
You people are all about "individual responsibility" but it seems that means pointing fingers at individuals while pretending corporations have no say in the matters. Like, they wanna pay more! Da biotches are too dumb to ask!"
No, dude, the labor department is wrong!!! They are controlled by tea party members, with an agenda!

Individual choices would be like a woman getting pregnant and staying out of the workforce to raise children while the children are young, like my wife has done. She's not going to be making the same as a man in her same field who didn't leave the workforce for 9 years like she did, nor would she think it unfair that she doesn't.

Now feminists would say, we need to do more to help women raise children and work, but that's not what my wife wanted. She didn't want to work. She's just wanted to be a SAHM. That alone was enough on her plate.

Another individual choices would be the fact that in many families (although this is changing) men tend to be the primary income earners. Because of this, especially where the man makes a lot more $ their souse, the family is more likely to relocate if a better job opportunity that offers more money appears for the man compared to the woman.

Think of it like this ... let's say I make $50 an hour, but my wife makes $15 an hour ... let's say my wife can get a job making $25 an hour, but we would have to move a few hours away ... she's probably not going to take that job, because I'd need to find a new one and we probably couldn't just live on her $25 an hour, until I found one.

Let's say the tables are turned and I can get a job a few hours away making $60 an hour, but my wife would need to find a new job ... we are more likely to move in the case of me receiving a higher wage, because we can survive on my $60 an hour (which is almost the combined $65 we were making before the move) until my wife finds a comparable job.

The fact that men and families will more often relocate to chase dollars, alone skew the statistics.

There are many other nondiscriminatory reasons that could explain it as well.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#92136 Oct 2, 2013
And really, Ferrerman, how do you rectify those situations.

How do you make women more likely to uproot their family and move across the country to take jobs? How do you make women not take a leave from work for raising children?

Also if it is things of this nature, what do you do to employers to prevent the income gap that arises from these types of decisions. Should you even do anything? Should an employer pay a woman who has been out of the workforce for 9 years the same as a man who hasn't? In my hypo up above, should the employer who is only paying the wife $15 an hour be forced to pay her $25 because if she were willing to relocate a few hours away she could make that much working for someone else? I don't think so.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92137 Oct 2, 2013
Can any of the computer gurus tell me if it's going to make much of a difference if I buy a laptop with 1. ghz vs. 2.20 ghz? We just use it fo surfing the net, my kid plays some (not high graphic) games and stuff. Not a whole lot. I sometimes (though rarely) use if for movies and (alsorarely) to play a DVD.

I had 2 laptops, but one kicked the bucket a week or 2 ago. I need a second computer and don't really want a PC.

Thanks!

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92138 Oct 2, 2013
* I meant I sometimes use it for work

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#92139 Oct 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now feminists would say, we need to do more to help women raise children and work, but that's not what my wife wanted. She didn't want to work. She's just wanted to be a SAHM. That alone was enough on her plate.
This is a blatant mischaracterization of a feminist.
I feminist would say a woman should have a CHOICE as to whether to wants to work or be a SAHM.
People who say that woman should work only are not feminists. You making up crap again?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#92140 Oct 2, 2013
Butchered that, didn't I? Hee, hee. That's what fly-by posting gets you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 10-20 3 min Kuuipo 6
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Teaman 1,124,490
only sex 17 min amitjulee 1
Amy 10-19 18 min Kuuipo 8
BoyshineLiesIn SpeechAtNW 35 min LipsMoveBhoLies 6
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 44 min STEFANO COLONNA 69,957
Mike Brown Deserved What He Got 46 min Read NO_3 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 179,241
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]