Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92026 Oct 1, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>You are screaming about the big business. This particular issue seems to be yours so, go for it. Keep up the good work! Please don't assign beliefs to others. It's as foolish as posting <crickets> because no one has replied to you before you hit "post comment".
The people- as in "WE THE PEOPLE..."- have six months to further investigate and decide what to do. Plenty o' time for individuals.
I'm not assigning any belief to you. It is your belief. Where were all your blog postings and many topix postings, when Obama delayed Obamacare for businesses? You liberals would be screaming at the top of your lungs if republicans had instead asked for that delay. Obama does it and you hear absolutely nothing ... kinda like Guantanamo Bay ... it's amazing how that dropped off the liberal radar once Obama got elected!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#92027 Oct 1, 2013
I think somebody is looking to move them off of that land for themselves. Is FL the only place where rates are capped? My appraisial or tax rate cant go up more than 2% or something like that, no matter what the houses are selling for.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta feed the government beast somehow.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92028 Oct 1, 2013

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92029 Oct 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. Real life story. First person- me.
When I got out of grad school I promised myself 2 treats: that I would learn to fence and I would learn to ski. I took lessons and joined clubs in both.
I was living in a marginal area (Rogers Park for the Chicago people) and often came home late using the El, walking from the Howard stop to my apartment (no, I was not in the Jungle- the other direction).
As a single female on the street at night, I was very aware of my surroundings, people walking behind me, etc
One night I was on my side street. There were footsteps behind me that sounded like they were keeping the same distance all the time. That is suspicious. I put down my briefcase, pivoted into a lunge, got my right hand extended as if I held a foil and my left hand up.I had nothing in my hand which was metallic which could have been construed as a weapon. This long predates cellphones and besides, the fluidity of the movement and the stance were probably a large part of it.
The guy who was following me got very big eyed and literally took off not quite running, but at a good trot in the other direction. I have no idea if he had bad intentions, but whatever, he didn't get me. Yesss!!
If it had bee in vogue at the time , I would have done a fit pump.
Oh that's priceless!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#92030 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have said, Obama delayed application of Obamacare to businesses for a year.
Businesses have a lot more rules and regs to deal with, especiallyl with HIPAA starting as well. I don't have a problem with businesses waiting a year to make sure they have everything in place correctly.

I do have a problem with people holding up funding for something that's already law.

Location hidden

#92031 Oct 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
I think somebody is looking to move them off of that land for themselves. Is FL the only place where rates are capped? My appraisial or tax rate cant go up more than 2% or something like that, no matter what the houses are selling for.
<quoted text>
I don't know if it is a conspiracy. I think it is just the fact that it is probably a nice place to live, by the ocean. There have probably been some folks who have sold their property for nice sums ... this in tern drives up the appraised value of land for the folks who haven't sold ... when you base taxes on the value of land, under these circumstances taxes will go up.

I'm not a big fan of property tax. It basically means you never own your land ... instead you rent it from the government, because just like rent, if you don't pay your property tax they evict you.

There are caps elsewhere, but not everywhere. I know Chicago has them. It's not an uncommon problem. In the 90s and early 2000s a lot of folks who had lived in Chicago had the same problem, because land values were going up so much.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#92032 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
That is totally cool...like Dennis Leary and the cat piss, in the movie...The Ref....

Location hidden

#92033 Oct 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Personally I blame Squishy,Toj,Sublime and Edog for this entire mess.
If they would all just man up and take personal responsibility for the way this country is being run into the ground, and campaign on a platform of honest govt run in the peoples best interest, all this would have been avoided.
So, where can I get my Vote Sublime button?
I think I would be good in politics ... I just wouldn't want to have to do all the underhanded things you have to do to get elected and stay in power. Folks don't always have to like my views, but they come from my brain and my heart. I also would not like campaigning (debating aside)... by that I mean raising money and going to fund raising events. I wouldn't like that at all.

I'm also not a boyscout. You need a pretty squeaky clean image, unless you are the mayor of D.C. in which case even crack smokers are election material, lol.
A noted observer

Palatine, IL

#92034 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is the law of the land, why did Obama exempt businesses from complying with it for one year:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/obamaca...
Does this make him a terrorist in your eyes?
Republicans are simply asking for the same delay for individuals, moron.
You allegedly have a college education and a law degree.

Act like it!

Location hidden

#92035 Oct 1, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Businesses have a lot more rules and regs to deal with, especiallyl with HIPAA starting as well. I don't have a problem with businesses waiting a year to make sure they have everything in place correctly.
I do have a problem with people holding up funding for something that's already law.
Squishy ... you and I both know, the only reason you don't have a problem with it is because Obama implemented the delay. If republicans had instead pressed the issue, and democrats were causing the government to shut down over a delay for businesses, you and Ferrerman would be 100% on the democrats side and accusing the republicans of only looking out for the interests of big business.

Location hidden

#92036 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, then I must have totally misunderstood what those 40-something House votes to repeal the ACA were about.
Yes, you did misunderstand, because that's not what the shut down is about.
A noted observer

Palatine, IL

#92037 Oct 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. Real life story. First person- me.
When I got out of grad school I promised myself 2 treats: that I would learn to fence and I would learn to ski. I took lessons and joined clubs in both.
I was living in a marginal area (Rogers Park for the Chicago people) and often came home late using the El, walking from the Howard stop to my apartment (no, I was not in the Jungle- the other direction).
As a single female on the street at night, I was very aware of my surroundings, people walking behind me, etc
One night I was on my side street. There were footsteps behind me that sounded like they were keeping the same distance all the time. That is suspicious. I put down my briefcase, pivoted into a lunge, got my right hand extended as if I held a foil and my left hand up.I had nothing in my hand which was metallic which could have been construed as a weapon. This long predates cellphones and besides, the fluidity of the movement and the stance were probably a large part of it.
The guy who was following me got very big eyed and literally took off not quite running, but at a good trot in the other direction. I have no idea if he had bad intentions, but whatever, he didn't get me. Yesss!!
If it had bee in vogue at the time , I would have done a fit pump.
Chicago actor, William Peterson (CSI), tells a similar story about falling in love at the first site of a young, beautiful woman in Chicago. Shy, he followed her, while trying to work up the courage to approach her. Suddenly, she turned on him as if to attack! He recoiled in horror and scampered off!

The good news though, is that he drew back on that incident and it's gauntlet of emotions to make a successful acting career. Ever actor needs a muse...

Evanston IL

#92038 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you did misunderstand, because that's not what the shut down is about.
Yes it is. They couldn't repeal it so they decided to defund it.

Evanston IL

#92039 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Squishy ... you and I both know, the only reason you don't have a problem with it is because Obama implemented the delay. If republicans had instead pressed the issue, and democrats were causing the government to shut down over a delay for businesses, you and Ferrerman would be 100% on the democrats side and accusing the republicans of only looking out for the interests of big business.
You responded to Toj here, but I'll answer anyway.

I don't care who started it; I care about how they are acting. It's embarrassing to watch grown adults acting like little children, regardless of their party affiliation.
A noted observer

Palatine, IL

#92040 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they voted 42 times, costing multimillions of taxpayer dollars. NOT fiscally conservative.
Timmy

United States

#92041 Oct 1, 2013
Don't know by now it's impossible to have a rational discussion with teabaggers
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#92042 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You responded to me and not Squishy. AND, if you were talking about me, you'd be wrong.

Location hidden

#92043 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
To Ferrerman, I said:

"Republicans are simply asking for the same delay for individuals, moron."

In response you said:
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, then I must have totally misunderstood what those 40-something House votes to repeal the ACA were about.
The 40 something house votes have nothing to do with why the government is being shut down.

Furthermore, they don't have to fund anything they don't want to. We don't live in a dictatorship. There is nothing unfair with them not agreeing to vote to fund some liberal program that not one of them voted for in the first place. Voting to fund it is for all practical purposes voting for it.

At the very least it's no more unfair than it was for Obama to decide not to enforce our immigration laws, because he couldn't get his way and the dream act passed. Why aren't you upset about that? Oh, I know, cause you think we should cater to illegals. Once again, if it's a law you like, it's not okay to do end around, but if it's a law you like, it's okay to do end arounds, especially if it is Obama doing so!

The republicans should tell him to go f' him self and tell him he'll get his Obamacare funded when he controls both the house and the senate. Let the people decide how bad they want it, next election. He still won't get control of the house.

Location hidden

#92044 Oct 1, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You responded to me and not Squishy. AND, if you were talking about me, you'd be wrong.
It's hard to tell the difference.:p

Location hidden

#92045 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The republicans should tell him to go f' him self and tell him he'll get his Obamacare funded when he controls both the house and the senate. Let the people decide how bad they want it, next election. He still won't get control of the house.
In fact instead of voting to repeal it 40 + times, for years, this is what they should have been telling everyone they would do if given control of the house ... for easier to kill it by just not funding it and that way no one would have been surprised. They would have had even more seats in the house had they done so. Obamacare is not popular.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min USAsince1680 1,262,813
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min loose cannon 194,400
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 43 min Whiny1 6,254
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Archie 54,332
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Ariel Sharon 70,141
Amy 7-29-15 6 hr mrs gladys kravitz 14
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr Mark 52,057
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages