Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh great. the American equivalent of "lie back and think of England"?
What does your wife have to say about it? Have you asked her?
Why of course....she stands behind my every post....lol....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Just I'd throw this in as a little bonus.:/ I know for a fact that musicians don't make much money but this is over the top.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I thought I had seen everything, but recently we received a wedding invitation via Facebook.

If that was not bad enough, it turns out that the wedding couple, both musicians, decided to have the ceremony in the context of a concert performance by them. The invitation indicated that because they have decided to rent a concert hall, in lieu of buying a gift, we would be required to buy a ticket to help defray the costs of the performance.

Again, because of financial restrictions, we were instructed that we could order food and beverages off a menu at our own expense, but cupcakes would be provided for dessert.

Last week we received yet another online notification indicating if we could not attend, we may choose to donate at various levels toward the couple’s honeymoon. Depending on what amount we gave, the gift giver would be given a variety of different “thank you” responses from the couple.

I realize that times are changing, but we were flabbergasted by an invitation like this. While I don’t expect people to go into great debt to throw an extravagant wedding reception, it also doesn’t feel appropriate for guests to foot the bill.

We paid for our own simple but elegant wedding and reception, and kept it within a budget we could afford. I should add the couple are middle-age, so I would think they would know better. Any thoughts on this?

GENTLE READER: Who are these musicians? Franz Liszt and Nellie Melba?

Even then, the price would be rather steep. Especially as you are expected to bring your own Peach Melba.

Because of the deft touch about different levels of thanks, Miss Manners will do this couple the courtesy of assuming that they meant it all as a joke. However, she feels obliged to warn them not to hope to make a living as comedians.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Very, very wonky.
wonky is right. Mimi posting today's Abby with date 9/23?, Red and Matilda AWOL. We need a revival meeting.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
wonky is right. Mimi posting today's Abby with date 9/23?, Red and Matilda AWOL. We need a revival meeting.
Yeah I tried for about 15 minutes then gave up. Pfffttt I have a latin test tomorrow (after THREE days wth) so I can't be messing around online too much. Just re-wrote all my (again only 3 days) notes so that I can read them. <sigh>

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I tried for about 15 minutes then gave up. Pfffttt I have a latin test tomorrow (after THREE days wth) so I can't be messing around online too much. Just re-wrote all my (again only 3 days) notes so that I can read them. <sigh>
Best of luck on your test.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

dahgts wrote:
Just I'd throw this in as a little bonus.:/ I know for a fact that musicians don't make much money but this is over the top.
DEAR MISS MANNERS: I thought I had seen everything, but recently we received a wedding invitation via Facebook.
If that was not bad enough, it turns out that the wedding couple, both musicians, decided to have the ceremony in the context of a concert performance by them. The invitation indicated that because they have decided to rent a concert hall, in lieu of buying a gift, we would be required to buy a ticket to help defray the costs of the performance.
Again, because of financial restrictions, we were instructed that we could order food and beverages off a menu at our own expense, but cupcakes would be provided for dessert.
Last week we received yet another online notification indicating if we could not attend, we may choose to donate at various levels toward the couple’s honeymoon. Depending on what amount we gave, the gift giver would be given a variety of different “thank you” responses from the couple.
I realize that times are changing, but we were flabbergasted by an invitation like this. While I don’t expect people to go into great debt to throw an extravagant wedding reception, it also doesn’t feel appropriate for guests to foot the bill.
We paid for our own simple but elegant wedding and reception, and kept it within a budget we could afford. I should add the couple are middle-age, so I would think they would know better. Any thoughts on this?
GENTLE READER: Who are these musicians? Franz Liszt and Nellie Melba?
Even then, the price would be rather steep. Especially as you are expected to bring your own Peach Melba.
Because of the deft touch about different levels of thanks, Miss Manners will do this couple the courtesy of assuming that they meant it all as a joke. However, she feels obliged to warn them not to hope to make a living as comedians.
Yuck! SO.Rude.
I can't believe anyone would do this--and worse, I can't believe the people who would actually PAY a ticket to go to a wedding.
Thank you's based on the honeymoon gift given? I would gladly "lose" that invitation.....oh, wait-I don't have FB! Yes.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there is an internet radio station out of Finland that broadcasts in Latin. I read about it few year ago. Never listened.
A noted observer

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I believe there is an internet radio station out of Finland that broadcasts in Latin. I read about it few year ago. Never listened.
I learned Finnish carpentry techniques from that station though, admittedly, I often needed the assistance of my Mexican helper translating some of the Latin.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new s/article-2436491/Kaloni-Flynn -case-Man-GUILTY-shooting-dead -pregnant-girlfriend-execution -style-didnt-want-child-suppor t.html
Even more horrid, is that the poor taxpayers have to support this scumbag for the next 50 years....something quick on the prison yard, would be favorable.....OOPS!....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

So Saturday, we had to take Nunu to a jeweler to get a ring cut off her finger. We put in on in June and sorta forgot about (it looked so cute). We tried everything to get it off; lotion, soap, olive oil, but her knuckle had just grown too much.

Saturday afternoon, we were getting our bikes ready for our first family bike ride. The kids have gone with daddy for rides, but I hadn't touched my bike since we moved in almost two years ago and I promised them we could do this thing, Bike the Ridge, where they close of a four-lane main road for part of the day. But we discovered that Dickie had forgotten the combo for the lock, so Sunday morning, FIL came over with a hack saw and, voila!, my bike was free. Had a great time on the ride, so much fun that we're planning on trying to ride every weekend until the weather turns bad.

Then last night, I was this close to having the kitchen in a pristine state; I only had to hand-wash the new glass pasta jar we got on Saturday. Well, the lid of that jar slipped while I was washing it and it whacked my left ring-finger knuckle really good, and what I didn't notice for a few moments was that it also gashed my knuckle really good. Seems there were a couple of chips in the lid that went unnoticed by us. Spent the rest of the night with my hand elevated and thankfully this morning it doesn't hurt too much.

They say bad things come in threes, so I'm hoping this is it. I have enough of things getting cut around me!

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Glad you had a great weekend, squish!

Dead around here today.

Let's see.... Anyone else find it ironic that our president will negotiate with Russia, Syria, and Iran... but he won't negotiate with House Republicans? Isn't it also ironic that republicans will get the blame for a government shutdown even though they are trying to do all they can to prevent it?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
Dead around here today.
Let's see.... Anyone else find it ironic that our president will negotiate with Russia, Syria, and Iran... but he won't negotiate with House Republicans? Isn't it also ironic that republicans will get the blame for a government shutdown even though they are trying to do all they can to prevent it?
But, edog, he's drawn a redline on this issue. And we all know when he draws a red line, he means it! Just ask Syria:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p...

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
So Saturday, we had to take Nunu to a jeweler to get a ring cut off her finger. We put in on in June and sorta forgot about (it looked so cute). We tried everything to get it off; lotion, soap, olive oil, but her knuckle had just grown too much.
Saturday afternoon, we were getting our bikes ready for our first family bike ride. The kids have gone with daddy for rides, but I hadn't touched my bike since we moved in almost two years ago and I promised them we could do this thing, Bike the Ridge, where they close of a four-lane main road for part of the day. But we discovered that Dickie had forgotten the combo for the lock, so Sunday morning, FIL came over with a hack saw and, voila!, my bike was free. Had a great time on the ride, so much fun that we're planning on trying to ride every weekend until the weather turns bad.
Then last night, I was this close to having the kitchen in a pristine state; I only had to hand-wash the new glass pasta jar we got on Saturday. Well, the lid of that jar slipped while I was washing it and it whacked my left ring-finger knuckle really good, and what I didn't notice for a few moments was that it also gashed my knuckle really good. Seems there were a couple of chips in the lid that went unnoticed by us. Spent the rest of the night with my hand elevated and thankfully this morning it doesn't hurt too much.
They say bad things come in threes, so I'm hoping this is it. I have enough of things getting cut around me!
I always knew you were on the cutting edge of the regs. Things do come in threes so you all should be okay for a long time.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
No.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Of course not, dear.
Timmy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Maybe its because the leaders of those countries are acting more rationally than the tea baggers in the Republican Party. Also, if they wanted to prevent a government shutdown, all the tea baggers would have to do is to send a funding bill to the Senate that did not demand the new health care be delayed again and/or defunded.

The Republicans are the ones acting like little babies. They could not win at the ballot box, so they are willing to shut down the government to get their way.
edogxxx wrote:
Dead around here today.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Timmy wrote:
Maybe its because the leaders of those countries are acting more rationally than the tea baggers in the Republican Party. Also, if they wanted to prevent a government shutdown, all the tea baggers would have to do is to send a funding bill to the Senate that did not demand the new health care be delayed again and/or defunded.
The Republicans are the ones acting like little babies. They could not win at the ballot box, so they are willing to shut down the government to get their way.
<quoted text>
They did win on the ballet. The republicans control the house and the congress controls the purse strings. Why the f' should they vote to fund something not one of them voted for.

Obama's entire approach during his first year was encapsulated Rahm Emanuel's statement: "We have the votes. F---'em," as quoted in Bob Woodward's book. They could do that when they controlled both chambers of Congress. They don't anymore and they won't even after midterms, next year.

Look who's getting f'd now. <snicker>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Incognito4Ever 1,099,464
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 6 min boundary painter 1,253
Word (Dec '08) 8 min boundary painter 4,646
last post wins! (Apr '13) 9 min boundary painter 330
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 12 min boundary painter 295
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 13 min boundary painter 7,744
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 16 min JOEL 68,933
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min LRS 177,281
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••