Topix Chitown Regulars

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92008 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Democrats should take that advice. They are the ones who won't agree to fund anything unless Obamacare is funded. The republicans at first agreed to fund everything, except the healthcare subsidies. Now they've even agreed to fund to fund those, the requirement that everybody have health insurance be delayed for one year. They've made counter offers ... they've been flexible. Obama and the democrats have said no compromises, it must be 100% the way they want it.
These are the same idiot f's who said the republicans cut 40 billion to food stamps, when they actually voted to increase spending on SNAPs by 57% over the next decade. However, because an increase of 57% is 40 billion less than the democrats wanted to increase spending, the democrats and their liberal mouthpieces in the media have been going on and on about how mean republicans are to poor people and who they are cutting food stamp spending? On what f'ing planet is a 57% increase a cut?
Folks hear that, including I'm sure all the flaming liberals on here, and they just swallow it hook line sinker.
I think you're looking totally silly blaming the Democrats. If they were at fault I'd have no problem saying it. I usually vote for the person, not the party. In this case, I have to side with the Democrats that it's the Republicans doing it.

Seriously, Sub, you sound like a Tea Party Person or Edog revisited. Are you? A supporter of the Tea Party? Becuase you're not having a conversation, you are finger pointing and trying to stir up an argument instead of conversation.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92009 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
You will never agree, because you are a blind partisan.
Yes, of course! Even though I stated otherwise, Sublime is always right.
Sublime1 wrote:
I think the republicans should be just like the democrats and say they won't pass a budget until Obama withdraws his executive dream act order and agrees to enforce our immigration laws. They are the law of the land, rite?
When I see that happen, we'll have a discussion on how they handle that too.

Evanston IL

#92010 Oct 1, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#92011 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
I meant to say:
Now they've even agreed to fund those, i.e. the subsidies, and are asking that the requirement that everybody have health insurance be delayed for one year.
What is the rationale for kicking that particular can down teh road?

It is very much like the ostrich sticking its head in teh sand.

I speak from an Illinois point of view where our legislature has done this maneuver with pensions . Illinois is now in the worst financial condition in the US.

Waiting a year does not achieve anything useful except to give nore time to equivocate.

Anyone have the list of names of US Reps who voted for Obamacare and are now opposed to it, and where they are standing on the current shutdown?
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#92012 Oct 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
IIRC the last 2 times the government was shut down there was a Democratic President and a Republican Congress and the only notable result that I recall was that Newt Gingrich quit
I observed a pattern as well.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#92013 Oct 1, 2013
Personally I blame Squishy,Toj,Sublime and Edog for this entire mess.
If they would all just man up and take personal responsibility for the way this country is being run into the ground, and campaign on a platform of honest govt run in the peoples best interest, all this would have been avoided.

So, where can I get my Vote Sublime button?
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#92014 Oct 1, 2013
Both houses voted on it and passed it. The President signed it into law. The US Supreme Court found it to be Constitutional. IT'S THE LAW OF THE LAND! Just like any other land.

Now, lest the terrorists argue (again) that THIS current House Of Representatives did not get to vote on it, I'll point out that this Congress didn't get to vote on slavery, prohibition (or the repeal thereof) Civil Rights- lots of things. So, where do the terrorists stop? Why is the worst Congress in history spending so much time and money undoing the legal work of other Congresses?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#92015 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Okay. Real life story. First person- me.

When I got out of grad school I promised myself 2 treats: that I would learn to fence and I would learn to ski. I took lessons and joined clubs in both.

I was living in a marginal area (Rogers Park for the Chicago people) and often came home late using the El, walking from the Howard stop to my apartment (no, I was not in the Jungle- the other direction).

As a single female on the street at night, I was very aware of my surroundings, people walking behind me, etc

One night I was on my side street. There were footsteps behind me that sounded like they were keeping the same distance all the time. That is suspicious. I put down my briefcase, pivoted into a lunge, got my right hand extended as if I held a foil and my left hand up.I had nothing in my hand which was metallic which could have been construed as a weapon. This long predates cellphones and besides, the fluidity of the movement and the stance were probably a large part of it.

The guy who was following me got very big eyed and literally took off not quite running, but at a good trot in the other direction. I have no idea if he had bad intentions, but whatever, he didn't get me. Yesss!!

If it had bee in vogue at the time , I would have done a fit pump.

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92016 Oct 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the rationale for kicking that particular can down teh road?
It is very much like the ostrich sticking its head in teh sand.
I speak from an Illinois point of view where our legislature has done this maneuver with pensions . Illinois is now in the worst financial condition in the US.
Waiting a year does not achieve anything useful except to give nore time to equivocate.
Anyone have the list of names of US Reps who voted for Obamacare and are now opposed to it, and where they are standing on the current shutdown?
If it doesn't achieve anything, then why did Obama already granted a one year delay for businesses by executive order. If they had so many employees, they were required under Obamacare to provide them health insurance or pay a fine. That was to come into effect starting at the first of the year, but Obama pushed it back until 2015.

How can he do this if this is the law of the land!!! I bet Squishy is outraged!

The republicans are simply asking for the same delay for individuals. Funny, the folks who normally scream about big businesses getting special treatment are completely silent on this. As is often the case with partisan hacks (not you P), it matters more who is doing the act verses what the act is.

Had Obama not exempted businesses for one year and republicans made that demand, Squishy and Ferrerman would be screaming about how evil they are and all about big business. Obama does it and you hear <crickets> from them. Too funny.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#92017 Oct 1, 2013
LOL.
I see no reason to get all worked up over partisan politics.
As far as I am concerned as long as air traffic controllers are still on the job, the government of the Estados Unidos is still open for business.

“Where is Tonka?”

#92018 Oct 1, 2013
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#92019 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If it doesn't achieve anything, then why did Obama already granted a one year delay for businesses by executive order. If they had so many employees, they were required under Obamacare to provide them health insurance or pay a fine. That was to come into effect starting at the first of the year, but Obama pushed it back until 2015.
How can he do this if this is the law of the land!!! I bet Squishy is outraged!
The republicans are simply asking for the same delay for individuals. Funny, the folks who normally scream about big businesses getting special treatment are completely silent on this. As is often the case with partisan hacks (not you P), it matters more who is doing the act verses what the act is.
Had Obama not exempted businesses for one year and republicans made that demand, Squishy and Ferrerman would be screaming about how evil they are and all about big business. Obama does it and you hear <crickets> from them. Too funny.
You are screaming about the big business. This particular issue seems to be yours so, go for it. Keep up the good work! Please don't assign beliefs to others. It's as foolish as posting <crickets> because no one has replied to you before you hit "post comment".

The people- as in "WE THE PEOPLE..."- have six months to further investigate and decide what to do. Plenty o' time for individuals.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92020 Oct 1, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
Both houses voted on it and passed it. The President signed it into law. The US Supreme Court found it to be Constitutional. IT'S THE LAW OF THE LAND! Just like any other land.
Now, lest the terrorists argue (again) that THIS current House Of Representatives did not get to vote on it, I'll point out that this Congress didn't get to vote on slavery, prohibition (or the repeal thereof) Civil Rights- lots of things. So, where do the terrorists stop? Why is the worst Congress in history spending so much time and money undoing the legal work of other Congresses?
If it is the law of the land, why did Obama exempt businesses from complying with it for one year:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/obamaca...

Does this make him a terrorist in your eyes?

Republicans are simply asking for the same delay for individuals, moron.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92021 Oct 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Gotta feed the government beast somehow.

Evanston IL

#92022 Oct 1, 2013
Funny, I don't hear me screaming at all so please stop deciding for me when I'm outraged and/or partisan.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92023 Oct 1, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're looking totally silly blaming the Democrats. If they were at fault I'd have no problem saying it. I usually vote for the person, not the party. In this case, I have to side with the Democrats that it's the Republicans doing it.
Seriously, Sub, you sound like a Tea Party Person or Edog revisited. Are you? A supporter of the Tea Party? Becuase you're not having a conversation, you are finger pointing and trying to stir up an argument instead of conversation.
As I have said, Obama delayed application of Obamacare to businesses for a year. All republicans are doing is asking them to delay its application to individuals for a year. How is the former fair, but the later unfair? How is it okay when Obama does the former, but you blame republicans when they do the later? How come republicans didn't threaten to shut down the government when Obama delayed the law for businesses, like democrats are doing when republicans ask for the same delay for individuals?

Newsflash: The reason why Obama delayed the law with respect to businesses is because it will be a job killer and he doesn't want to have midterm elections next year in the face of this. My inner-ferrerman points out he'd rather allow evil corporations to screw employees over and not provide them health insurance for another year just so that his party does better in the elections next year.

Evanston IL

#92024 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Republicans are simply asking for the same delay for individuals, moron.
Oh, then I must have totally misunderstood what those 40-something House votes to repeal the ACA were about.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92025 Oct 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Personally I blame Squishy,Toj,Sublime and Edog for this entire mess.
If they would all just man up and take personal responsibility for the way this country is being run into the ground, and campaign on a platform of honest govt run in the peoples best interest, all this would have been avoided.
So, where can I get my Vote Sublime button?
I think laws should be funded. Especially ones that have been upheld by the Supreme Court. Isn't part of personal responsibility following the laws of the land?

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#92026 Oct 1, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>You are screaming about the big business. This particular issue seems to be yours so, go for it. Keep up the good work! Please don't assign beliefs to others. It's as foolish as posting <crickets> because no one has replied to you before you hit "post comment".
The people- as in "WE THE PEOPLE..."- have six months to further investigate and decide what to do. Plenty o' time for individuals.
I'm not assigning any belief to you. It is your belief. Where were all your blog postings and many topix postings, when Obama delayed Obamacare for businesses? You liberals would be screaming at the top of your lungs if republicans had instead asked for that delay. Obama does it and you hear absolutely nothing ... kinda like Guantanamo Bay ... it's amazing how that dropped off the liberal radar once Obama got elected!

“Where is Tonka?”

#92027 Oct 1, 2013
I think somebody is looking to move them off of that land for themselves. Is FL the only place where rates are capped? My appraisial or tax rate cant go up more than 2% or something like that, no matter what the houses are selling for.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta feed the government beast somehow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Joy 1,641,332
What Happpened to the Wall? 1 hr Waldo 1
Trump is A 1 hr WarmFuzzyGUY 71
Mulvaney is an A HO 2 hr Bill Q 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 hr Fugooo 64,113
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 17 hr Amazing Skulduggery 1
Well, Well Whatdayaknow? 18 hr Colored History 13

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages