Topix Chitown Regulars
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#91988 Sep 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
http://pieceofmind.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/c...
just to show there are different views then your not to be taken as fact statements.
I guess the Canadians are too gosh darn polite to shut down their government to get unaffordable healthcare.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#91989 Sep 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
http://pieceofmind.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/c...
just to show there are different views then your not to be taken as fact statements.
I can find a conservative site that supports MY view. But we should just go with the liberal site, right? No point in listening to the other side, is there?

Have you been to Canada? Have you spoken to Britons?

Didn't think so. But hey, you found a site on the internet that supports your view! Guess that's good enough for me!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#91990 Sep 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I can find a conservative site that supports MY view. But we should just go with the liberal site, right? No point in listening to the other side, is there?
Have you been to Canada? Have you spoken to Britons?
Didn't think so. But hey, you found a site on the internet that supports your view! Guess that's good enough for me!
I've been to Canada a few years ago and I talked with a few brits in London this year. you need to stop thinking.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#91991 Oct 1, 2013

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#91992 Oct 1, 2013

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#91993 Oct 1, 2013
dahgts wrote:
I've been to Canada a few years ago and I talked with a few brits in London this year.
Sure you have.

Well, looks like the Dems have decided to shut down the government!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91994 Oct 1, 2013
...LOL...What a classic spin....

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91995 Oct 1, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you have.
Well, looks like the Dems have decided to shut down the government!
Are you calling me a liar?

Don't be such a dolt.

Location hidden

#91996 Oct 1, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you calling me a liar?
Don't be such a dolt.
This game they play, by blaming everyone else, especially President Obama....while tea party House republicans have worked againest the good of the country consistantly, since, January 2009.....

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91997 Oct 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> This game they play, by blaming everyone else, especially President Obama....while tea party House republicans have worked againest the good of the country consistantly, since, January 2009.....
]

Got that right, cuz.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91998 Oct 1, 2013
IIRC the last 2 times the government was shut down there was a Democratic President and a Republican Congress and the only notable result that I recall was that Newt Gingrich quit

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#91999 Oct 1, 2013
OMG! The govt has stopped, obammacare is still going and gravity still exists....WTF?

Location hidden

#92000 Oct 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
IIRC the last 2 times the government was shut down there was a Democratic President and a Republican Congress and the only notable result that I recall was that Newt Gingrich quit
Newt Gingrich was the republican speaker, and orchestrated it....American workers lost billions of dollars in their 401K's, because of the effect that shutdown had on Wall Street.....The same AMERICAN WORKERS, that teaparty, House republican's support so much...go figure....

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#92001 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
But there's still funding for this, right?
You are missing the point. Both Dems and Republicans play this same game.

Obama couldn't get the Dream Act passed ... he couldn't win ... couldn't get the law he wanted ... so he got his way by doing an end around in the form of an executive fiat.

Republicans couldn't get Obamacare repealed ... they couldn't win ... couldn't get the law over turned ... so they will try to get their way by doing an end around by deciding what they will or won't fund.

While the means may be different, it's really the same mentality.

Now just because you and folks like you are in favor of our country being over run by millions of highly impoverished illegal immigrants and want to do everything you can possibly do to encourage them to come here, including giving them drivers licenses, encouraging them to sign up for food stamps, granting executive order amnesty to their children who were not born here, and failing to enforce immigration laws, doesn't make what Obama did any worse than what the republicans are doing. The only difference is the democrats are forcing a shut down unless they get their way. That would be like the republicans saying if Obama doesn't withdraw his executive dream act order, they will shut down the entire government and won't fund anything. <<<< that's akin to what the democrats are doing.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92002 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama couldn't get the Dream Act passed ... he couldn't win ... couldn't get the law he wanted ... so he got his way by doing an end around in the form of an executive fiat.
Republicans couldn't get Obamacare repealed ... they couldn't win ... couldn't get the law over turned ... so they will try to get their way by doing an end around by deciding what they will or won't fund.
That may be true. Perhaps, though, Sen. Mike Lee should take his own advice:“Shutdowns are bad, shutdowns are not worth it, this law is not worth causing a shutdown over."

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92003 Oct 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
They're all blowhards more interested in pursuing thier political career than this nation.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#92004 Oct 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not.
Sublime1 wrote:
Well, then the House can decide to not fund this. Have they done that?
Sublime1 wrote:
While the means may be different, it's really the same mentality. Now just because you and folks like you are in favor of our country being over run by millions of highly impoverished illegal immigrants and want to do everything you can possibly do to encourage them to come here, including giving them drivers licenses, encouraging them to sign up for food stamps, granting executive order amnesty to their children who were not born here, and failing to enforce immigration laws, doesn't make what Obama did any worse than what the republicans are doing. The only difference is the democrats are forcing a shut down unless they get their way. That would be like the republicans saying if Obama doesn't withdraw his executive dream act order, they will shut down the entire government and won't fund anything. <<<< that's akin to what the democrats are doing.
WTF does that have to do with the problem we currently face?

And you can say it a thousand times, but I will never agree that this shutdown is the democrats' fault. It didn't turn out that way the last time and it won't turn out that way this time either. And it has nothing to do with what I believe; it has everything to do with how they behave.

Location hidden

#92005 Oct 1, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be true. Perhaps, though, Sen. Mike Lee should take his own advice:“Shutdowns are bad, shutdowns are not worth it, this law is not worth causing a shutdown over."
Democrats should take that advice. They are the ones who won't agree to fund anything unless Obamacare is funded. The republicans at first agreed to fund everything, except the healthcare subsidies. Now they've even agreed to fund to fund those, the requirement that everybody have health insurance be delayed for one year. They've made counter offers ... they've been flexible. Obama and the democrats have said no compromises, it must be 100% the way they want it.

These are the same idiot f's who said the republicans cut 40 billion to food stamps, when they actually voted to increase spending on SNAPs by 57% over the next decade. However, because an increase of 57% is 40 billion less than the democrats wanted to increase spending, the democrats and their liberal mouthpieces in the media have been going on and on about how mean republicans are to poor people and who they are cutting food stamp spending? On what f'ing planet is a 57% increase a cut?

Folks hear that, including I'm sure all the flaming liberals on here, and they just swallow it hook line sinker.

Location hidden

#92006 Oct 1, 2013
I meant to say:

Now they've even agreed to fund those, i.e. the subsidies, and are asking that the requirement that everybody have health insurance be delayed for one year.

Location hidden

#92007 Oct 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then the House can decide to not fund this. Have they done that?
That, they can. According to my understanding, one of the first if not the first budget, did not fund the subsidies, but now they just want a one year delay in the requirement that folks have insurance. Democrats won't even compromise and allow that. It has to be all their way!
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>WTF does that have to do with the problem we currently face?
And you can say it a thousand times, but I will never agree that this shutdown is the democrats' fault. It didn't turn out that way the last time and it won't turn out that way this time either. And it has nothing to do with what I believe; it has everything to do with how they behave.
It has to do with the fact that you and others are hypocrites. Obama can do an end around when he can't get his way in the legislature, but when republicans do it, they are evil!!!

You will never agree, because you are a blind partisan.

I think the republicans should be just like the democrats and say they won't pass a budget until Obama withdraws his executive dream act order and agrees to enforce our immigration laws. They are the law of the land, rite?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Aquarius-WY 1,779,096
News Slowik: Blue Island mayor faces intense critici... 8 hr Hot Hot Hot 21
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 hr qz-zq 243,563
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 17 hr MPMMB 1,138
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 17 hr MPMMB 3,908
penny hawthore 18 hr kyman 1
Looking for a daddy 18 hr Base 22

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages