Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I got laid off today, along with 8 others (that's 27, I think, for the year so far). I hear it's going to get worse. Got some severence, an excellent letter of recommendation.
My boss told me, and I know she meant it, that she would rather keep me because I know way more software/computer stuff than my counterpart (the woman who comes in between 10 and 11 each day, despite having been *ordered* to be there by 9 at least twice) and I get in early to open the office, and take care of supporting the engineers for three hours before my boss/coworker arrive... but my two coworkers are older (60 or so) and would have more trouble finding another job and they need the health insurance.(I don't?)
Oh well. It's the kick int he pants I've been needing for a couple of years now. I'll get drunk tonight, throw my own private pity party, and then file for unemployment tomorrow (and hope I won't need it), take Nick out for Oktoberfest (I'm the DD) with our softball team, and then get going on job hunting this weekend. Already have everything set up on Monster.com , just need to do one more step.
SOrry to hear that, Red! A lot of times, though, this can be a blessing in disguise. Here's to hoping you find something even better - and quickly!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Like I said, its not fair but thats just tough.
Dont like it, Nark out those that did do it.(am I aging myself with Narc)
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And how do you determine which kids left after they saw the destruction? The 2 photos i saw showed graffitti inside somewhere and a busted window. I parked down the street and walked thru the side to get to the back yard. Me and the boys were just chillin. About 30 minutrs later, i went inside to take leak and that's when i saw whst was going on, so we split.
We have pictures of you in the house.
I swear left right after that.
One kid said you sprau paonted the wall.
He's lying!
Get the picture?
You have no way to accurately identify who did the damage and who left once they realized what's up.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that. You're telling me your kid goes to a party for 30 minutes, sees people graffittiing the walls and decides to split, you'd feel she should be financially responsible for the damages cause she was there?
I call bullshit.
Additionally, have you never been to a party where you had no idea who's house it was? I'm not saying you invaded some stranger's house like in the story. I'm talking about word getting around thst there was a party and you showed up without even knowing what kid lived there? I know that occured more than once when I was in hs. Is that tresspassing? Cause it would be pretty easy and likely for many of the kids in this story to not have even known it was an unoccupied house. Just a place where 'someone' was having a party.
It was a small town and many of the kids had been there before for different, legit events hosted by the owner. So most of them probably knew whose house it was and thet that person wasn't there.

Just the kid being there is trespassing, though I don't know if ALL of them could be charged with breaking and entering.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
True story
Went to Tampa with some friends. Hit the strip club that evening. Ran into someone we knew from college. Invited us back to his place. Party going on. And him and his local buddies started getting destructive. Walking thru the screens on the patio. Smashed a little tv in the garage. Wrestled around and punched a few holes in the dry wall. This was not surprising behavior, because this dude had been known to wreck the places he lived in while we were in college.
In this instance, the party was going on before we got there. He showed us no documentation verifying that he did indeed live there and was trashing his own place. We did not run out of there in disgust. Should we have?
Take the partying kids that destroyed nothing. How many of them just heard thru the grapevine thathter was a party going on but had no idea that none of the kids at the party actually lived there. Some kids caused the damage. Some kids witnessed it and just kept their distance knowing they had not detroyed anything. Some felt uncomfortable and left. In the absence of evidence tying specific people to the destruction, you want to just spread the blame. I can't get on board with that. If someone tried to come after me for being present during someone else's vandalism, ther is no way they'd see a penny from me.
Maybe it'd teach the kids to be careful where they hang out and what situations they put themselves into. And that they shouldn't have knowingly been in a place where there was underage drinking. Also illegal.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

This is for Cheluzal.

I was looking this up for someone else but I expect you will be interested in it. It is the official Teacher Salary Study for 2012-2013.

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research/pdfs/tea...
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

It's nice to see an ex-NFL player who isn't suffering from dementia or broke because of bad investments or never having made the sports gravy train in the first place. Bummer that they trashed his home but, he has a good attitude about it.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Why do I have to read a NY paper to learn about this?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stud...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i disagree that simply attending is enough to hold you liable for the damage.
He might not have the final say. If he turns it into his homeowners insurance company and they pay for the cleanup and repairs, it will be up to the insurance company to decide whether to go after the people who caused the damage

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RACE wrote:
What Florida tabloids do you read ?

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RACE wrote:
It's not in the papers by you? It's been everywhere over here! Though I can't read it on the Tampa Bay Times anymore. They decided not just to bombard people with on-line ads for revenue but to start charging to read their paper on-line. I refuse.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Your friends would have told you but I hear you haven't been out and about with them in a month or two.

:D

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

itser wrote:
Even if they were not vandalizing the place; even if they did not know that the house had been broken into; they knew that their classmates were, at the very least, drinking alcohol and they knew they shouldn't be there.
I have no sympathy and I hope they get a judge that nails the parents who are trying to sue him.
That is the best path to the truth...the photos and billing each parent individually...I still say, that measure, will produce the best chronology.....

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Not by me. The sentinal has no mention of it. Maybe the tv website does.
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not in the papers by you? It's been everywhere over here! Though I can't read it on the Tampa Bay Times anymore. They decided not just to bombard people with on-line ads for revenue but to start charging to read their paper on-line. I refuse.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

PEllen wrote:
This is for Cheluzal.
I was looking this up for someone else but I expect you will be interested in it. It is the official Teacher Salary Study for 2012-2013.
http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research/pdfs/tea...
Hmmm...almost as stinky as FL.
Listen, I have never complained about my salary. I knew it going in, I don't need a lot of money, and I am blessed. Own a home, car paid off, getting advanced degree....don't live check to check.

But....with what teachers deal with, it's not comparable to what it needs to be. The problem is not necessarily the starting; it's that you can never really get up. In other businesses, you can climb over the years. My check has decreased each year with more deductions...plus, it takes you to the END of your 30-year career to be at a respectable salary.

I know I won't be rich as a professor, but it'll be better and enough to live comfortably on.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Dont like it, Nark out those that did do it.(am I aging myself with Narc)
<quoted text>
you're looking at this whole thing from the angle that this dude was wronged and SOMEONE needs to pay. You don't care who was guilty of what. That's the outrage speaking. I'm sure if it was my house, I'd feel the same way, but that's not objectively meting out punishment to the responsible parties.

For just a moment, take the vandalism component out of the events. You say all these kids trespassed. OK. What's the punishment for trespassing? You have to leave. I'm pretty sure if someone is on your property and you call the cops, they will not arrest the person. They will make them leave and warn them no to come back. ie: you get a warning. No jail time. There are no damages. No financial penalty.

Now lets add in that some people vandalized the property. If I was not one of them and I was just there (and possibly not even a witness to the vandalism) how does that change the my punishment for trespassing? You can't connect those dots...unless you're out for blood instead of justice.

If you are walking the streets celebrating after the Dolphins shockingly win this year's Superbowl and witness a bunch of drunks flip a car and set it on fire, what happens if the cops have no evidence to determine who did it, but someone took pictures after the fact and you were there? Should you be held as accountable as those who did flip it? Just for being in the wrong place? That's what you're saying with these kids. We don't know who did what, so instead of charging no one for lac of evidence, we should charge everyone.

That's not the kinda "justice" I want from my legal system. Hopefully the dude and investigators will be able to find some pictures of the vandalism taking place(like kids in action with spray paint cans), but not go with the guilty by association approach .

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Screw them, make them all pay.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex...
<quoted text>
Yeah. That's nonsense. He took pictures that the ids put online and he....put them online? What are they suing for? Copyright infringement?

While I certainly would not be agreeable to paying any of his damages if my kid did not damage anything, going after him is complete buffoonery.

I'd like to think that if my kid DID take part in the damage, that I would be willing to pony up for it...and beat his ass. Of course, I'd also like to think my kid would not ever do such a thing.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

itser wrote:
they knew that their classmates were, at the very least, drinking alcohol and they knew they shouldn't be there.
Oh, please. Gimme a friggin break. So for committing the "crime" that a majority of hs students commit on a regular basis, they all should have to pay for someone else's crime of vandalism?

Well then, next time you commit the crime of speeding you should share in the punishment to the guy on the other side of the street who rode up on the sidewalk and mowed down some pedestrians because those are just as related.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Insightful. Did you read that on the wall at a courthouse or is that part of the judicial swearing in oath?

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a small town and many of the kids had been there before for different, legit events hosted by the owner. So most of them probably knew whose house it was and thet that person wasn't there.
Just the kid being there is trespassing, though I don't know if ALL of them could be charged with breaking and entering.
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere with logic and not just outrage. If you could prove they knew the owners were out of town and that they knew they had no permission to be there and you could charge them all with breaking and entering...I'm down with that. I doubt that charge would stick for the entire group as opposed to the one(s) who actually broke in and open the place up, but I could get on board with that.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>He might not have the final say. If he turns it into his homeowners insurance company and they pay for the cleanup and repairs, it will be up to the insurance company to decide whether to go after the people who caused the damage
If? I assume he's going to file a claim. He'd be a fool not to. And they should go after the people who cause the damage. I am all for punish them...if you can determine who they are. My issue is the line of thinking that if you can't determine who caused the damage, then punish everyone equally.

Your daughter goes to the party with friends. Is there for 5 minutes before she realizes whats going on and her and her friends split. But cell phones are everywhere and people have pictures of them at the party. Race and company would excuse her...but have no way of knowing who acted like her and left.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,441 - 90,460 of95,931
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]