“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91809 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Screw them, make them all pay.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex...
<quoted text>
Yeah. That's nonsense. He took pictures that the ids put online and he....put them online? What are they suing for? Copyright infringement?

While I certainly would not be agreeable to paying any of his damages if my kid did not damage anything, going after him is complete buffoonery.

I'd like to think that if my kid DID take part in the damage, that I would be willing to pony up for it...and beat his ass. Of course, I'd also like to think my kid would not ever do such a thing.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91810 Sep 20, 2013
itser wrote:
they knew that their classmates were, at the very least, drinking alcohol and they knew they shouldn't be there.
Oh, please. Gimme a friggin break. So for committing the "crime" that a majority of hs students commit on a regular basis, they all should have to pay for someone else's crime of vandalism?

Well then, next time you commit the crime of speeding you should share in the punishment to the guy on the other side of the street who rode up on the sidewalk and mowed down some pedestrians because those are just as related.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91811 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Like I said, its not fair but thats just tough.
Insightful. Did you read that on the wall at a courthouse or is that part of the judicial swearing in oath?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91812 Sep 20, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a small town and many of the kids had been there before for different, legit events hosted by the owner. So most of them probably knew whose house it was and thet that person wasn't there.
Just the kid being there is trespassing, though I don't know if ALL of them could be charged with breaking and entering.
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere with logic and not just outrage. If you could prove they knew the owners were out of town and that they knew they had no permission to be there and you could charge them all with breaking and entering...I'm down with that. I doubt that charge would stick for the entire group as opposed to the one(s) who actually broke in and open the place up, but I could get on board with that.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91813 Sep 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>He might not have the final say. If he turns it into his homeowners insurance company and they pay for the cleanup and repairs, it will be up to the insurance company to decide whether to go after the people who caused the damage
If? I assume he's going to file a claim. He'd be a fool not to. And they should go after the people who cause the damage. I am all for punish them...if you can determine who they are. My issue is the line of thinking that if you can't determine who caused the damage, then punish everyone equally.

Your daughter goes to the party with friends. Is there for 5 minutes before she realizes whats going on and her and her friends split. But cell phones are everywhere and people have pictures of them at the party. Race and company would excuse her...but have no way of knowing who acted like her and left.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91814 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Not by me. The sentinal has no mention of it. Maybe the tv website does.
<quoted text>
Interesting. The Orlando Sentinel and the Sun Sentinel are both owned by Tribune and the story is in the Orlando Sentinel.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91815 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If? I assume he's going to file a claim. He'd be a fool not to. And they should go after the people who cause the damage. I am all for punish them...if you can determine who they are. My issue is the line of thinking that if you can't determine who caused the damage, then punish everyone equally.
Your daughter goes to the party with friends. Is there for 5 minutes before she realizes whats going on and her and her friends split. But cell phones are everywhere and people have pictures of them at the party. Race and company would excuse her...but have no way of knowing who acted like her and left.
At first I hadn't read the article. I didn't realize it wasn't his kid or let them all in. That's what I thought at first. I have to agree with you b/c I know how parties were started when I was young. By word of mouth. So and so is having a party and then an address. You didn't always know the actual owner of the house. If the cops can you split.

Now I was never at a place that got trashed but I see the logic in that some of those kids didn't know that the owner wasn't there and had nothing to do with trashing the place.

No, kids should not drink alcohol. But they do. They shouldn't go to parties underage with alcohol. But they do. I don't think they should get jail time for attending a party. I think we have bigger criminals getting out of jail for much, much more. Community service if they're caught? Absolutely. If they are proven to have took part in trashing the place? Pony up and do community service!

Now posting names of underage kids on the internet? Not smart. There are people out there who will hang those kids, harrass them, etc. just b/c someone posted their names tied to this when they did nothing more than show up at a party. Just look how people are reacting here.

So posting those names is not only stupid, unless you can prove they did something other than show up at a party they were invited to, that would be libel.

I'm not saying those parents should be suing. I wouldn't. But I could see how that could happen.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91816 Sep 20, 2013
Toj wrote:
Now posting names of underage kids on the internet? Not smart...So posting those names is not only stupid, unless you can prove they did something other than show up at a party they were invited to, that would be libel.
from what I see on his site, he did not "post their names".

He posted screenshots of their twitter and facebook pictures of themselves in his house. So he took publicly available photos that the kids themselves posted online that already get displayed to facebook or twitter in conjunction with their name, and put screenshots on his site. Doubt the parents have a leg to stand on.

Scroll down and look.
http://helpmesave300.com/

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91817 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>from what I see on his site, he did not "post their names".
He posted screenshots of their twitter and facebook pictures of themselves in his house. So he took publicly available photos that the kids themselves posted online that already get displayed to facebook or twitter in conjunction with their name, and put screenshots on his site. Doubt the parents have a leg to stand on.
Scroll down and look.
http://helpmesave300.com/
That is totally different than what I thought.
delali

Chicago, IL

#91819 Sep 21, 2013
www.originalarts.org your authentic african arts

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#91820 Sep 21, 2013
Guilt by association. Three guys in a car. One guy hands the gun to another, he gets out of the car and kills someone. The third is driving the car. They can all be charged with murder.
If you want to know why these kids did what they did, just take a look at those parents.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91821 Sep 21, 2013

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#91822 Sep 21, 2013
First of all this guy wants to help these kids; help them fess up and do the right thing, help them see how their actions affect others, help them turn their lives around. I doubt he wants them in jail.

I read another article that said he's already held a well-publicized clean up event, invited the 300 to make amends, and ONE kid showed up. I put that squarely on the parents; every teenaged kid in the county should have been made to go by their parents.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91823 Sep 21, 2013
Get off it, tonka. The kids had no business being there in the first place. If just one kid destroys something, ALL are responsible.

"But, but... that's just not FAIR!!"

Too bad, cry me a river.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91824 Sep 21, 2013
squishymama wrote:
First of all this guy wants to help these kids; help them fess up and do the right thing, help them see how their actions affect others, help them turn their lives around. I doubt he wants them in jail.
I read another article that said he's already held a well-publicized clean up event, invited the 300 to make amends, and ONE kid showed up. I put that squarely on the parents; every teenaged kid in the county should have been made to go by their parents.
Looks to me like these kids come from a pretty affluent neighborhood there....bet those are the kind of parent's that would'nt want their college bound heirs, branded with any criminal history, that might stand in their way.....

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91825 Sep 21, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I agree with you.That's the sad part, the one kid that showed up wasn't even there that night. At the very least any of the kids that didn't take part in the destruction could have shown some decency and helped him.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91826 Sep 21, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Looks to me like these kids come from a pretty affluent neighborhood there....bet those are the kind of parent's that would'nt want their college bound heirs, branded with any criminal history, that might stand in their way.....
I don't think he wanted to prosecute. He just hoped that they would have some remorse and help him. Besides, those pics were already posted even before he did. So busted by themselves.
These are parents that have been whining "not my Johnnie" all of those kids lives. Entitlement is also alive and well in affluent neighborhoods.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91827 Sep 21, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he wanted to prosecute. He just hoped that they would have some remorse and help him. Besides, those pics were already posted even before he did. So busted by themselves.
These are parents that have been whining "not my Johnnie" all of those kids lives. Entitlement is also alive and well in affluent neighborhoods.
I realize that, and in my career i got to know many in law enforcement and a number of Judges, including Juvenile Court ones....i was just saying how they would have likely ruled, keeping it within the community.....covering every aspect.....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91828 Sep 21, 2013
Bought a Kindle. Just wanted a decent e-reader that can access the web. Also not weighing a lot is a big deal. Went to the Pawn shop. Kindle fire 59.00 out the door. I can live with that. I figure the money I saved buying a bunch of books as kindle editions covers the cost. Also, I love the cloud and being able to access my stuff from anywhere.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91829 Sep 21, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Bought a Kindle. Just wanted a decent e-reader that can access the web. Also not weighing a lot is a big deal. Went to the Pawn shop. Kindle fire 59.00 out the door. I can live with that. I figure the money I saved buying a bunch of books as kindle editions covers the cost. Also, I love the cloud and being able to access my stuff from anywhere.
Amazon is running a promotion that if you bought a hard copy book from them, they will give you the Kindle version. Some limits of course

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min forks_make_us_fat 1,111,439
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 37 min Sick Illinois 49,905
Amy 9-23-14 42 min PEllen 16
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr ritedownthemiddle 46,863
At least 15 wounded in city shootings 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Abby 9-23 1 hr Toj 9
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 69,429
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Rogue Scholar 05 178,238
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••