“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91768 Sep 20, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Wait- people can't live on unemployment??? I thought it was a gravy train that people opted for rather than working- like Welfare is! It's not?
Unemployment would pay me about half what I'm making now. And I'm barely scraping by as it is. So no, I wouldn't be able to live on unemployment.
A noted observer wrote:
So, companies "short-changing people's hours and benefits" isn't greed on the company's part?
No. They have a bottom dollar to watch, too. If they're not profitable, they go out of business. It's good business sense.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91769 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>First one to squeal ain't necessarily telling the truth. You'll take the word of a bunch of kids in trouble? What's to stop several of them from concocting a story blaming your kid who didn't do any of it?
Sucks to be this guy, I hope he gets his shit taken care of, but I don't see any way to determine with any certainty who damaged his property other than someone providing cell phone videos from the party that caught some of the vandalism as it occurred.
First, it is gonna be easy to identify, what teens were there, by all the photos....next, the Judge assigns equal portions of the damage to each's parents....Once the parent's realize the amount of financial outlay.....I'm guessing within hours, the lead detective will have an almost flawless version of events......believe me, it will work....

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#91770 Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, that's too bad about losing your job, Red.
That's why my loyalty to any company is paper thin.
-----
I had my bike stolen out of my driveway last year.
After very little contemplation I decided not to call the police to file a report. I knew my chances of ever seeing my bike again were slim to none at best.
I think it was a transient who took it, and that the police use those types of statistics to justify hiring more police.
The community is too far gone and more poice will not help. More police is not being pro-active in preventing crime.
So anyway, I have decided to move.
The community loses when people like me leave.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#91771 Sep 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Cobra only costs about $1500 a month. Someone making $1200 a month on unemployment should totally be able to afford that.
Not quite, the average cost of cobra can range fron $400 and up. It all depends on the company's health plans. Yes, it's expensive but you keep throwing out these comments as facts. You're still a vault of misinformation.

My prediction: Hillary Clinton next president, next one will be Chelsea. By then your head will explode.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#91772 Sep 20, 2013
And the Wal-Mart problem is really best solved by Americans to make a deliberate effort not to shop there.
I know it's hard not to for many people because of low prices and convenience. I go there myself sometimes, but at least I hang my head in shame every time.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#91773 Sep 20, 2013
That totally sucks Red. Sorry to hear about it.
I am sure you will find something though, Keep your chin up and have a brew on me!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I got laid off today, along with 8 others (that's 27, I think, for the year so far). I hear it's going to get worse. Got some severence, an excellent letter of recommendation.
My boss told me, and I know she meant it, that she would rather keep me because I know way more software/computer stuff than my counterpart (the woman who comes in between 10 and 11 each day, despite having been *ordered* to be there by 9 at least twice) and I get in early to open the office, and take care of supporting the engineers for three hours before my boss/coworker arrive... but my two coworkers are older (60 or so) and would have more trouble finding another job and they need the health insurance.(I don't?)
Oh well. It's the kick int he pants I've been needing for a couple of years now. I'll get drunk tonight, throw my own private pity party, and then file for unemployment tomorrow (and hope I won't need it), take Nick out for Oktoberfest (I'm the DD) with our softball team, and then get going on job hunting this weekend. Already have everything set up on Monster.com , just need to do one more step.

Neda, stay with me!

#91774 Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for saving me the typing.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No sht, Sherlock.
<quoted text>
What exactly is a "living wage?"
<quoted text>
"They, they, they." Who exactly are "they?" Those in corporate? THEY make a "living wage." I suppose you think the unskilled button pushing teenage cashier should make no less than fifty thousand a year? The same as the advanced-degreed forty year old who spent fifteen years climbing the corporate latter?
<quoted text>
There's a reason I'm the "last man standing." Can you guess? Is it my work ethic? Education? Sacrifices I've made for the company's benefit?
Or because of my entitled attitude that the company "owes" me for some reason?
<quoted text>
Obama can prevent a shutdown. He's refusing to budge in hopes of blaming Republicans. It's all a shell-game.
Obamacare is the most destructive thing that can happen to our economy, jobs, deficit, and recovery. Obamacare will never be repealed while Democrats hold the Senate. The best we can do for now is withhold funding. Not until Republicans retake the Senate next year can we finally get rid of Obama's fiasco. For now, we'll take what we can get.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#91775 Sep 20, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite, the average cost of cobra can range fron $400 and up. It all depends on the company's health plans. Yes, it's expensive but you keep throwing out these comments as facts. You're still a vault of misinformation.
My prediction: Hillary Clinton next president, next one will be Chelsea. By then your head will explode.
My comments are facts. I only speak the truth. Always have.

And you know as well as I do Hilary will never be president. In fact, bamma just set the democrat's chances for the white house back at least eight years. Maybe twelve. Hell, sixteen!

Neda, stay with me!

#91776 Sep 20, 2013
They were all trespassing and by that, they are all guilty, whether they peed on the carpet or not, so their parents should be held financially responsible for their kids. Their kids broke the law and property was destroyed.
ENd of story.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>First one to squeal ain't necessarily telling the truth. You'll take the word of a bunch of kids in trouble? What's to stop several of them from concocting a story blaming your kid who didn't do any of it?
Sucks to be this guy, I hope he gets his shit taken care of, but I don't see any way to determine with any certainty who damaged his property other than someone providing cell phone videos from the party that caught some of the vandalism as it occurred.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91777 Sep 20, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>First, it is gonna be easy to identify, what teens were there, by all the photos....next, the Judge assigns equal portions of the damage to each's parents....Once the parent's realize the amount of financial outlay.....I'm guessing within hours, the lead detective will have an almost flawless version of events......believe me, it will work....
Sorry. I don't believe you. I think its wishful thinking. 300 kids? Many/most drunk. Many with good reason to lie. You're dreaming

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91778 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
They were all trespassing and by that, they are all guilty, whether they peed on the carpet or not, so their parents should be held financially responsible for their kids. Their kids broke the law and property was destroyed.
ENd of story.
<quoted text>
Good luck with that. You're telling me your kid goes to a party for 30 minutes, sees people graffittiing the walls and decides to split, you'd feel she should be financially responsible for the damages cause she was there?
I call bullshit.

Additionally, have you never been to a party where you had no idea who's house it was? I'm not saying you invaded some stranger's house like in the story. I'm talking about word getting around thst there was a party and you showed up without even knowing what kid lived there? I know that occured more than once when I was in hs. Is that tresspassing? Cause it would be pretty easy and likely for many of the kids in this story to not have even known it was an unoccupied house. Just a place where 'someone' was having a party.

“Call me Walter”

Since: Nov 10

Dyersburg, TN

#91779 Sep 20, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>That was in New Zealand. I don't think they nor Australia were as affected by the recession as we were. Evidently they don't willingly submit to the whims of the uber-wealthy like America does. They don't let crazy people have guns and fast food workers making a living wage works for them! So, why not plumb a buddies house with beer, mate?
Nobody yanked your chain spiderboi. Oh yes, I gifured you would come back when you thought I wasn't looking.

Neda, stay with me!

#91780 Sep 20, 2013
20,000 / 300 =$67 a kid. I would make my kid pay that, just so she could learn to use her head next time.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that. You're telling me your kid goes to a party for 30 minutes, sees people graffittiing the walls and decides to split, you'd feel she should be financially responsible for the damages cause she was there?
I call bullshit.
Additionally, have you never been to a party where you had no idea who's house it was? I'm not saying you invaded some stranger's house like in the story. I'm talking about word getting around thst there was a party and you showed up without even knowing what kid lived there? I know that occured more than once when I was in hs. Is that tresspassing? Cause it would be pretty easy and likely for many of the kids in this story to not have even known it was an unoccupied house. Just a place where 'someone' was having a party.

“Call me Walter”

Since: Nov 10

Dyersburg, TN

#91781 Sep 20, 2013
*figured

Not sure what the hell happened there

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91782 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that. You're telling me your kid goes to a party for 30 minutes, sees people graffittiing the walls and decides to split, you'd feel she should be financially responsible for the damages cause she was there?
I call bullshit.
If you're invited, it's not tresspassing. If you have an "open house", it isn't tresspassing.

I agree with you.

The people who own the house can get financial payback in a civil suit much easier. The bar for proving guilt is lower.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91783 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
20,000 / 300 =$67 a kid. I would make my kid pay that, just so she could learn to use her head next time.
<quoted text>
20k is the preliminary #. I read they estimate it might be as much as $250k
A noted observer

Roselle, IL

#91784 Sep 20, 2013
IXSatanXI wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody yanked your chain spiderboi. Oh yes, I gifured you would come back when you thought I wasn't looking.
You gifured wrong.

Typical.

Neda, stay with me!

#91785 Sep 20, 2013
Round it up to 300K, a grand for each punk. I do not excuse my daughters stupidity, it would be a painful lesson, but a good one.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>20k is the preliminary #. I read they estimate it might be as much as $250k

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#91786 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Round it up to 300K, a grand for each punk. I do not excuse my daughters stupidity, it would be a painful lesson, but a good one.
<quoted text>
i disagree that simply attending is enough to hold you liable for the damage.

Neda, stay with me!

#91787 Sep 20, 2013
I can agree that for the kids that showed up, saw what was happening and then split, it would be unfair, but to hang out and see the place being trashed, and staying...I have far less sympathy. Kinda like going to a dog fight, but excusing yourself because your only a spectator.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i disagree that simply attending is enough to hold you liable for the damage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 min D-U-H 50,040
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Earthling-1 47,006
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr RoxLo 1,115,129
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 69,495
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Mandela 68,560
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,586
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr RACE 639
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]