Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91798 Sep 20, 2013
This is for Cheluzal.

I was looking this up for someone else but I expect you will be interested in it. It is the official Teacher Salary Study for 2012-2013.

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research/pdfs/tea...
A noted observer

Roselle, IL

#91799 Sep 20, 2013
It's nice to see an ex-NFL player who isn't suffering from dementia or broke because of bad investments or never having made the sports gravy train in the first place. Bummer that they trashed his home but, he has a good attitude about it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#91800 Sep 20, 2013
Why do I have to read a NY paper to learn about this?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stud...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91801 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i disagree that simply attending is enough to hold you liable for the damage.
He might not have the final say. If he turns it into his homeowners insurance company and they pay for the cleanup and repairs, it will be up to the insurance company to decide whether to go after the people who caused the damage

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91802 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why do I have to read a NY paper to learn about this?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stud...
What Florida tabloids do you read ?

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91803 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why do I have to read a NY paper to learn about this?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stud...
It's not in the papers by you? It's been everywhere over here! Though I can't read it on the Tampa Bay Times anymore. They decided not just to bombard people with on-line ads for revenue but to start charging to read their paper on-line. I refuse.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91804 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why do I have to read a NY paper to learn about this?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stud...
Your friends would have told you but I hear you haven't been out and about with them in a month or two.

:D

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91805 Sep 20, 2013
itser wrote:
Even if they were not vandalizing the place; even if they did not know that the house had been broken into; they knew that their classmates were, at the very least, drinking alcohol and they knew they shouldn't be there.
I have no sympathy and I hope they get a judge that nails the parents who are trying to sue him.
That is the best path to the truth...the photos and billing each parent individually...I still say, that measure, will produce the best chronology.....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#91806 Sep 20, 2013
Not by me. The sentinal has no mention of it. Maybe the tv website does.
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not in the papers by you? It's been everywhere over here! Though I can't read it on the Tampa Bay Times anymore. They decided not just to bombard people with on-line ads for revenue but to start charging to read their paper on-line. I refuse.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#91807 Sep 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
This is for Cheluzal.
I was looking this up for someone else but I expect you will be interested in it. It is the official Teacher Salary Study for 2012-2013.
http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research/pdfs/tea...
Hmmm...almost as stinky as FL.
Listen, I have never complained about my salary. I knew it going in, I don't need a lot of money, and I am blessed. Own a home, car paid off, getting advanced degree....don't live check to check.

But....with what teachers deal with, it's not comparable to what it needs to be. The problem is not necessarily the starting; it's that you can never really get up. In other businesses, you can climb over the years. My check has decreased each year with more deductions...plus, it takes you to the END of your 30-year career to be at a respectable salary.

I know I won't be rich as a professor, but it'll be better and enough to live comfortably on.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91808 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Like I said, its not fair but thats just tough.
Dont like it, Nark out those that did do it.(am I aging myself with Narc)
<quoted text>
you're looking at this whole thing from the angle that this dude was wronged and SOMEONE needs to pay. You don't care who was guilty of what. That's the outrage speaking. I'm sure if it was my house, I'd feel the same way, but that's not objectively meting out punishment to the responsible parties.

For just a moment, take the vandalism component out of the events. You say all these kids trespassed. OK. What's the punishment for trespassing? You have to leave. I'm pretty sure if someone is on your property and you call the cops, they will not arrest the person. They will make them leave and warn them no to come back. ie: you get a warning. No jail time. There are no damages. No financial penalty.

Now lets add in that some people vandalized the property. If I was not one of them and I was just there (and possibly not even a witness to the vandalism) how does that change the my punishment for trespassing? You can't connect those dots...unless you're out for blood instead of justice.

If you are walking the streets celebrating after the Dolphins shockingly win this year's Superbowl and witness a bunch of drunks flip a car and set it on fire, what happens if the cops have no evidence to determine who did it, but someone took pictures after the fact and you were there? Should you be held as accountable as those who did flip it? Just for being in the wrong place? That's what you're saying with these kids. We don't know who did what, so instead of charging no one for lac of evidence, we should charge everyone.

That's not the kinda "justice" I want from my legal system. Hopefully the dude and investigators will be able to find some pictures of the vandalism taking place(like kids in action with spray paint cans), but not go with the guilty by association approach .

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91809 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Screw them, make them all pay.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex...
<quoted text>
Yeah. That's nonsense. He took pictures that the ids put online and he....put them online? What are they suing for? Copyright infringement?

While I certainly would not be agreeable to paying any of his damages if my kid did not damage anything, going after him is complete buffoonery.

I'd like to think that if my kid DID take part in the damage, that I would be willing to pony up for it...and beat his ass. Of course, I'd also like to think my kid would not ever do such a thing.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91810 Sep 20, 2013
itser wrote:
they knew that their classmates were, at the very least, drinking alcohol and they knew they shouldn't be there.
Oh, please. Gimme a friggin break. So for committing the "crime" that a majority of hs students commit on a regular basis, they all should have to pay for someone else's crime of vandalism?

Well then, next time you commit the crime of speeding you should share in the punishment to the guy on the other side of the street who rode up on the sidewalk and mowed down some pedestrians because those are just as related.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91811 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Like I said, its not fair but thats just tough.
Insightful. Did you read that on the wall at a courthouse or is that part of the judicial swearing in oath?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91812 Sep 20, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a small town and many of the kids had been there before for different, legit events hosted by the owner. So most of them probably knew whose house it was and thet that person wasn't there.
Just the kid being there is trespassing, though I don't know if ALL of them could be charged with breaking and entering.
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere with logic and not just outrage. If you could prove they knew the owners were out of town and that they knew they had no permission to be there and you could charge them all with breaking and entering...I'm down with that. I doubt that charge would stick for the entire group as opposed to the one(s) who actually broke in and open the place up, but I could get on board with that.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91813 Sep 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>He might not have the final say. If he turns it into his homeowners insurance company and they pay for the cleanup and repairs, it will be up to the insurance company to decide whether to go after the people who caused the damage
If? I assume he's going to file a claim. He'd be a fool not to. And they should go after the people who cause the damage. I am all for punish them...if you can determine who they are. My issue is the line of thinking that if you can't determine who caused the damage, then punish everyone equally.

Your daughter goes to the party with friends. Is there for 5 minutes before she realizes whats going on and her and her friends split. But cell phones are everywhere and people have pictures of them at the party. Race and company would excuse her...but have no way of knowing who acted like her and left.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91814 Sep 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
Not by me. The sentinal has no mention of it. Maybe the tv website does.
<quoted text>
Interesting. The Orlando Sentinel and the Sun Sentinel are both owned by Tribune and the story is in the Orlando Sentinel.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91815 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If? I assume he's going to file a claim. He'd be a fool not to. And they should go after the people who cause the damage. I am all for punish them...if you can determine who they are. My issue is the line of thinking that if you can't determine who caused the damage, then punish everyone equally.
Your daughter goes to the party with friends. Is there for 5 minutes before she realizes whats going on and her and her friends split. But cell phones are everywhere and people have pictures of them at the party. Race and company would excuse her...but have no way of knowing who acted like her and left.
At first I hadn't read the article. I didn't realize it wasn't his kid or let them all in. That's what I thought at first. I have to agree with you b/c I know how parties were started when I was young. By word of mouth. So and so is having a party and then an address. You didn't always know the actual owner of the house. If the cops can you split.

Now I was never at a place that got trashed but I see the logic in that some of those kids didn't know that the owner wasn't there and had nothing to do with trashing the place.

No, kids should not drink alcohol. But they do. They shouldn't go to parties underage with alcohol. But they do. I don't think they should get jail time for attending a party. I think we have bigger criminals getting out of jail for much, much more. Community service if they're caught? Absolutely. If they are proven to have took part in trashing the place? Pony up and do community service!

Now posting names of underage kids on the internet? Not smart. There are people out there who will hang those kids, harrass them, etc. just b/c someone posted their names tied to this when they did nothing more than show up at a party. Just look how people are reacting here.

So posting those names is not only stupid, unless you can prove they did something other than show up at a party they were invited to, that would be libel.

I'm not saying those parents should be suing. I wouldn't. But I could see how that could happen.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91816 Sep 20, 2013
Toj wrote:
Now posting names of underage kids on the internet? Not smart...So posting those names is not only stupid, unless you can prove they did something other than show up at a party they were invited to, that would be libel.
from what I see on his site, he did not "post their names".

He posted screenshots of their twitter and facebook pictures of themselves in his house. So he took publicly available photos that the kids themselves posted online that already get displayed to facebook or twitter in conjunction with their name, and put screenshots on his site. Doubt the parents have a leg to stand on.

Scroll down and look.
http://helpmesave300.com/

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91817 Sep 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>from what I see on his site, he did not "post their names".
He posted screenshots of their twitter and facebook pictures of themselves in his house. So he took publicly available photos that the kids themselves posted online that already get displayed to facebook or twitter in conjunction with their name, and put screenshots on his site. Doubt the parents have a leg to stand on.
Scroll down and look.
http://helpmesave300.com/
That is totally different than what I thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Guru 190,318
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min RoxLo 1,234,663
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min litesong 53,512
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 6,012
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Graham Cracker 51,760
News Former U.S. House Speaker Hastert indicted on f... 5 hr mrs gladys kravitz 7
have steroidsss in USA 5 hr Nail Alexander 2
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]