French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Now that I have had time ocalm down and think about yesterday's embarrassent, my conclusion is that the loal undercover cop was the one who was driving like a bat out of hell, not me.
She pulled a you turn an came after me like there was no tomorrow.
I'll pay their fine and remember a valuable lesson.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Red- sit down
The Pope has announced that religion should not interfere in the life of gays and lesbians
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/19/pope...
Wow. That's a big statement. Can't wait to hear the backlash on this one. There will probably be people very annoyed that it doesn't go far enough (as in that the church should embrace gays and lesbians as children of god). Then there will be the group that is made at the pope for extending out any sort of olive branch.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
She pulled a you turn an came after me like there was no tomorrow.
To pee before you leave?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Yeah, this pope isn't so bad!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

That was an illegal U-Turn that wench made.
She did not turn on her emergency lights until she was at my neighbors house, but I saw her closing in fast on me.
Screw them. I will bide my time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. That's a big statement. Can't wait to hear the backlash on this one. There will probably be people very annoyed that it doesn't go far enough (as in that the church should embrace gays and lesbians as children of god). Then there will be the group that is made at the pope for extending out any sort of olive branch.
I think he sounds wonderful! Baby steps!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he sounds wonderful! Baby steps!
Agree. I am amazed -- baby steps is all you can hope for, really.

I am ready for the aftermath is all. You know there will be some.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

I like how open he is and how welcoming he is. That has been missing from the Catholic Church for a very long time.

From the interview -- it's a quote from the Pope in the first paragraph:

“A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,” he told Father Spadaro.“I replied with another question:‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person.”

The interview also serves to present the pope as a human being, who loves Mozart and Dostoevsky and his grandmother, and whose favorite film is Fellini’s “La Strada.”

The 12,000-word interview ranges widely, and may confirm what many Catholics already suspected: that the chameleon-like Francis bears little resemblance to those on the church’s theological or political right wing. He said some people had assumed he was an “ultraconservative” because of his reputation when he served as the superior of his Jesuit province in Argentina. He pointed out that he was made superior at the “crazy” young age of 36, and that his leadership style was too authoritarian.

“But I have never been a right-winger,” he said.“It was my authoritarian way of making decisions that created problems.”

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

As I said earlier, I live on a fairly busy 4-lane boulevard, but the speed limit is only 30.
It's a main thoroughfare on the East side of town, so the police use it as a main artery to get from point A to point B when they are responding to a call.
So yeah, they're whippin' by my house every day.
They really drive with the pedal to the metal, and not always with their lights on.
I know there are places they have to get to in a hurry-up fashion, but sometimes I worry about the innocent bystanders who get in their path.

The amount of litter that lands in my yard is truly disgusting too.
It's mostly cigarette butts and there's new garbage to be picked up every day.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Not to speed?
loose cannon wrote:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Toj wrote:
I like how open he is and how welcoming he is. That has been missing from the Catholic Church for a very long time.
From the interview -- it's a quote from the Pope in the first paragraph:
“A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,” he told Father Spadaro.“I replied with another question:‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person.”
The interview also serves to present the pope as a human being, who loves Mozart and Dostoevsky and his grandmother, and whose favorite film is Fellini’s “La Strada.”
The 12,000-word interview ranges widely, and may confirm what many Catholics already suspected: that the chameleon-like Francis bears little resemblance to those on the church’s theological or political right wing. He said some people had assumed he was an “ultraconservative” because of his reputation when he served as the superior of his Jesuit province in Argentina. He pointed out that he was made superior at the “crazy” young age of 36, and that his leadership style was too authoritarian.
“But I have never been a right-winger,” he said.“It was my authoritarian way of making decisions that created problems.”
And the men who chose him to be pope surely had to know he was like this. So it sounds like at least some of the guys running the show were ready for the church's attitude to be changed somewhat.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Religion has no place in marriage anyway!

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

I bet you were a conjoined twin, and when you two got separated, she got all the brains.
edogxxx wrote:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
It has no place in EVERY marriage. Only in those where the people choose to be religious.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

This week's Dear Prudence column:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

L1: I had a very similar childhood. My parents moved rather than let schools put me into their gifted programs (which would have required extensive busing and long days away from home). Every kid's IQ is tested in school -- 2 or 3 times -- but parents aren't told because they generally don't know how to use that information correctly.

Ignore the "genius" label -- it's essentially meaningless. What really matters is getting along with people, studying to get good grades (i.e., doing the work), creating good study habits that will serve her later when academics get tougher.

And Idon't think this is something that gets shared with extended family.

L2: I don't think it's your job/place/responsibility to do anything re: Paul. Be a groomsman, slap a smile on your face, and just do what your brother wants.

L3: Geez, dude, you didn't rape her. And if she didn't want your
elbow caressing her boob, she could have moved away. Maybe you're bored in your relationship, I dunno.

L4: I don't care.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Prudie

L1: Talk to your husband, tell him what your fears are and then both of you map out a plan for your daughter.

L2: What Red said. It's his wedding. Being in the wedding is not a statement about the people in it and neither is declining to be in it.

L3: What Red said again. Has anyone here experience this?

L4: Forget your boss' fumbling. I like the idea of getting your own birthday cake. Or don't. You can't orchestrate other people's actions. You can try, but it rarely works.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Hi guys! Looks like I missed a couple of solid debates. I'm mad busy at work and my connectivity issue with the weird format still going on so it's hard to skim this site these days.

Only a little over a month until go-live! Then I should be back here full swing.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
As I said earlier, I live on a fairly busy 4-lane boulevard, but the speed limit is only 30.
It's a main thoroughfare on the East side of town, so the police use it as a main artery to get from point A to point B when they are responding to a call.
So yeah, they're whippin' by my house every day.
They really drive with the pedal to the metal, and not always with their lights on.
I know there are places they have to get to in a hurry-up fashion, but sometimes I worry about the innocent bystanders who get in their path.
So you're worried about safety when the cops speed, but when you have to pee...not so much.
loose cannon wrote:
The amount of litter that lands in my yard is truly disgusting too.
It's mostly cigarette butts and there's new garbage to be picked up every day.
So what are you saying? Cips should not be ticketing speeders on you street, but should be keeping the trash out of your yard?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Wont it be a relief when work stops interfering with Topix! Tonka is gonna envy you.
j_m_w wrote:
Hi guys! Looks like I missed a couple of solid debates. I'm mad busy at work and my connectivity issue with the weird format still going on so it's hard to skim this site these days.
Only a little over a month until go-live! Then I should be back here full swing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

77 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 3 min boundary painter 359
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min mdbuilder 1,079,171
Music Artists A to Z 4 min boundary painter 259
Amy 7-24 5 min Toj 12
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 11 min boundary painter 7,697
last post wins! (Apr '13) 16 min boundary painter 293
America's Doomsday preppers 42 min Tremendous waste 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr jacques Mont Tremblant 174,515
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info