Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91725 Sep 19, 2013
This week's Dear Prudence column:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91726 Sep 19, 2013
L1: I had a very similar childhood. My parents moved rather than let schools put me into their gifted programs (which would have required extensive busing and long days away from home). Every kid's IQ is tested in school -- 2 or 3 times -- but parents aren't told because they generally don't know how to use that information correctly.

Ignore the "genius" label -- it's essentially meaningless. What really matters is getting along with people, studying to get good grades (i.e., doing the work), creating good study habits that will serve her later when academics get tougher.

And Idon't think this is something that gets shared with extended family.

L2: I don't think it's your job/place/responsibility to do anything re: Paul. Be a groomsman, slap a smile on your face, and just do what your brother wants.

L3: Geez, dude, you didn't rape her. And if she didn't want your
elbow caressing her boob, she could have moved away. Maybe you're bored in your relationship, I dunno.

L4: I don't care.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91727 Sep 19, 2013
Prudie

L1: Talk to your husband, tell him what your fears are and then both of you map out a plan for your daughter.

L2: What Red said. It's his wedding. Being in the wedding is not a statement about the people in it and neither is declining to be in it.

L3: What Red said again. Has anyone here experience this?

L4: Forget your boss' fumbling. I like the idea of getting your own birthday cake. Or don't. You can't orchestrate other people's actions. You can try, but it rarely works.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#91728 Sep 19, 2013
Hi guys! Looks like I missed a couple of solid debates. I'm mad busy at work and my connectivity issue with the weird format still going on so it's hard to skim this site these days.

Only a little over a month until go-live! Then I should be back here full swing.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91729 Sep 19, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
As I said earlier, I live on a fairly busy 4-lane boulevard, but the speed limit is only 30.
It's a main thoroughfare on the East side of town, so the police use it as a main artery to get from point A to point B when they are responding to a call.
So yeah, they're whippin' by my house every day.
They really drive with the pedal to the metal, and not always with their lights on.
I know there are places they have to get to in a hurry-up fashion, but sometimes I worry about the innocent bystanders who get in their path.
So you're worried about safety when the cops speed, but when you have to pee...not so much.
loose cannon wrote:
The amount of litter that lands in my yard is truly disgusting too.
It's mostly cigarette butts and there's new garbage to be picked up every day.
So what are you saying? Cips should not be ticketing speeders on you street, but should be keeping the trash out of your yard?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#91730 Sep 19, 2013
Wont it be a relief when work stops interfering with Topix! Tonka is gonna envy you.
j_m_w wrote:
Hi guys! Looks like I missed a couple of solid debates. I'm mad busy at work and my connectivity issue with the weird format still going on so it's hard to skim this site these days.
Only a little over a month until go-live! Then I should be back here full swing.
A noted observer

Roselle, IL

#91731 Sep 19, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of a sign, the global economy has really improved, eh?
That was in New Zealand. I don't think they nor Australia were as affected by the recession as we were. Evidently they don't willingly submit to the whims of the uber-wealthy like America does. They don't let crazy people have guns and fast food workers making a living wage works for them! So, why not plumb a buddies house with beer, mate?

Neda, stay with me!

#91732 Sep 19, 2013
Are you really this stupid?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/austria...

If you had a brain you'd be dangerous, but thank god....
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>They don't let crazy people have guns and fast food workers making a living wage works for them! So, why not plumb a buddies house with beer, mate?

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#91733 Sep 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Geography, mate. This is Austria. Big dif. I think it was Melbourne that is considered a top place to live. Even with their problems, Austr ali a and New Z ealand have it pretty much together.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91734 Sep 19, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/us/new-york-tee...

This is interesting. Ex-NFL player hunts down 300 kids who trashed his vacation home with a party.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91735 Sep 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that Austria, New Zealand and Australia are different countries, right?

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#91736 Sep 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
This week's Dear Prudence column:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...
L1: Interesting because it's totally different from the lame drama we normally read about on Amby.

L2: Holy cow! Definitely different.

L3: Eh.

L4: Ah, there's the level of boring and annoying we've come to know and love.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91737 Sep 19, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>That was in New Zealand. I don't think they nor Australia were as affected by the recession as we were. Evidently they don't willingly submit to the whims of the uber-wealthy like America does. They don't let crazy people have guns and fast food workers making a living wage works for them! So, why not plumb a buddies house with beer, mate?
Really?...Please tell me in how many ways, you have felt obliged to submit to the whims of the uber wealthy?....BTW, i get New Zealand, do you get "global"?

Location hidden

#91738 Sep 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
That amount of rifles is just sick....we must all be able to establish that , at some point....at some point, ANYTHING can become an obsession?....

Location hidden

#91739 Sep 19, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/ us/new-york-teens-house-party/ index.html?hpt=hp_t2
This is interesting. Ex-NFL player hunts down 300 kids who trashed his vacation home with a party.
That is such a sad story about our current society....those parents should pay for everything.....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91740 Sep 19, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/ us/new-york-teens-house-party/ index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Yeah, the article says he wants to help them.
Going to be very curious what kind of help he has in mind.
A noted observer

Roselle, IL

#91741 Sep 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
No, because I know the difference between Austria and AUSTRALIA. YOU, however ARE "this stupid".

Thanks for the day brightener!

Neda, stay with me!

#91742 Sep 19, 2013
I was replying to his assertion that only the US had gun toting maniacs. That was just an example of how wrong his broad brush was painting.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that Austria, New Zealand and Australia are different countries, right?

Neda, stay with me!

#91743 Sep 19, 2013
The way I read your post, it was just US gun bashing, oh, and wealth bashing also.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Geography, mate. This is Austria. Big dif. I think it was Melbourne that is considered a top place to live. Even with their problems, Austr ali a and New Z ealand have it pretty much together.
A noted observer

Roselle, IL

#91744 Sep 19, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Really?...Please tell me in how many ways, you have felt obliged to submit to the whims of the uber wealthy?....BTW, i get New Zealand, do you get "global"?
Yes, "really". That's why I made it my observation. If it turns out that the uber-wealthy are NOT running this country, I apologize. Maybe the poor and hungry children have been running it and screwing things up and it's a good thing the rich are fighting back.

What the eff is wrong with Floridians? The heat must be awful!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Chicagoan by Birth 179,640
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Lefty Louie 1,128,944
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 27 min Poof1 50,750
Abby 10-30 54 min Mister Tonka 4
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 58 min RJS 7,829
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Eric 70,140
Weekend violence in Chicago: 4 dead, 35 wounded 1 hr reality is a crutch 6
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]