French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Can you tell I'm pissed?
The police get off on ruining people's day.
Not that mine is ruined, but nobody likes getting a citation.

It's about revenue and probable cause to catch bigger criminals.
You, the public, are disposable. Safety is seconary.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Pellen,
Do you remember the Diane Master's case?
Her husband was an attorney who along with the Chief of Police from Willow Springs were convicted of her murder.
My step-dad knew Alan Masters, both being lawyers. And so did my mom. And I met him too.
He gave me the creeps.
The police found her body in the trunk of her car at the bottom of the Cal-Sag canal when they were dredging.
I always think about her when I think of or have trouble with the law.
Alan Masters died in prison.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

I don't have complaints about cops most of the time. but busting someone for going 5 over the limit? That's a bored cop who's hoping there's 3 other things wrong with you/your car to ticket you for.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I think too often, cops resort to the taser when they used to use physical force.
Good. Isn't that the point of the taser? If cop can avoid hand to hand combat using a taser, then by all means, use it.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
We've had people here die of a heart attack from the taser -- one guy died just sitting in his car. Yes, you should do what the cops tell you to do. But cops often give ILLEGAL commands, and I can't fault someone who knows their rights for resisting such orders. But if it means getting the taser, geez, I don't know, I think I'd do wahtever a cop told me to do. Then sue later if he violated my rights?
I have the same problem with the taser: cops who use it on people who are not being violent/aggressive.

Using it to force compliance of your orders? Bad.
Using it to avoid violent altercation? Good.

Under my usage guidelines, the only people getting hit with the taser are those who pose an immediate physical threat. Got a bad heart? Don't wanna get tased? Calm the F down and don't make a move on the cop.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

I'm just sayin' that I've known enough purveyprs of the law to know that they can be full of prejudice and discrimination and that I do not trust a single one of them to treat me as anything other than a piece of meat.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
No one was even remotely in jeopardy by me going 5 over.
You're just pissed you got busted. You were breaking he law. "The law is emotionless". Yes. Exactly. That's how it should be. "I had to pee is no excuse.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

loose cannon wrote:
They hand out tickets left and right.
It has next to nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.
Are people violating the speed limit or not? What do you want from them? Non-enforcement of the laws you don't agree with? You want the speed limits to be stricken from the books and turn it into the Audubon?

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

That was one of my step-dads favorite sayings, now that I think about it.
He used to call all his clients a piece of meat.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
I'm just sayin' that I've known enough purveyprs of the law to know that they can be full of prejudice and discrimination and that I do not trust a single one of them to treat me as anything other than a piece of meat.
Other than classical musicians, can you name 3 groups of people that you don't have a problem with?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Good. Isn't that the point of the taser? If cop can avoid hand to hand combat using a taser, then by all means, use it.
<quoted text>
I have the same problem with the taser: cops who use it on people who are not being violent/aggressive.
Using it to force compliance of your orders? Bad.
Using it to avoid violent altercation? Good.
Under my usage guidelines, the only people getting hit with the taser are those who pose an immediate physical threat. Got a bad heart? Don't wanna get tased? Calm the F down and don't make a move on the cop.
I think a cop should be willing to use a certain degree of physical force, but we have cops of different sizes, body types, skills, etc.

I feel for the mentally ill people who have bad run-ins with the cops. No one wins in that situation when it's handled poorly.

It's a tough job. There are some real pricks who are cops, sure, but I think most are good people, doing the best they can to be good cops.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
Good. Isn't that the point of the taser? If cop can avoid hand to hand combat using a taser, then by all means, use it.
So now we've got wimpy, afraid to get a fingernail broken, Sally cops using a taser to slap cuffs on some unruly speeder who challenges the authority of some cop on a power trip? I thought we trained cops in hand to hand "combat" for this very reason? And the cops who don't have tasers shoot to kill instead.

Do as a cop says. Regardless of anything. Or be tased or shot. Nevermind being physically forced into handcuffs.

That your stance?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So now we've got wimpy, afraid to get a fingernail broken, Sally cops using a taser to slap cuffs on some unruly speeder who challenges the authority of some cop on a power trip? I thought we trained cops in hand to hand "combat" for this very reason? And the cops who don't have tasers shoot to kill instead.
Do as a cop says. Regardless of anything. Or be tased or shot. Nevermind being physically forced into handcuffs.
That your stance?
obviously you did not read what I said.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a cop should be willing to use a certain degree of physical force,
That goes with the territory, but I'm all for them avoiding it whenever possible. That does not mean they have licence to drop someone when there is no apparent threat of violence and only disobedience, but if someone initiates violence with the cops, I have zero problem with the taser being option one and hand to hand being option two.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> obviously you did not read what I said.
Obviously I did, which is why I asked. As long as they have a taser, why bother getting their hands dirty?

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

"Good. Isn't that the point of a taser? If a cop can avoid using hand to hand combat using a taser, then by all means use it."

What exactly am I misunderstanding?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So now we've got wimpy, afraid to get a fingernail broken, Sally cops using a taser to slap cuffs on some unruly speeder who challenges the authority of some cop on a power trip?
If you READ what I said, I am specifically against this scenario unless your interpretation of "challenges the authority" equates to physically attacking.
edogxxx wrote:
I thought we trained cops in hand to hand "combat" for this very reason?
I thought we trained cops in hand to hand combat so they could handle themselves in the event of a violent altercation, not so they could initiate a violent altercation against non-violent civil disobedience.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

loose cannon wrote:
Pellen,
Do you remember the Diane Master's case?
Her husband was an attorney who along with the Chief of Police from Willow Springs were convicted of her murder.
My step-dad knew Alan Masters, both being lawyers. And so did my mom. And I met him too.
He gave me the creeps.
The police found her body in the trunk of her car at the bottom of the Cal-Sag canal when they were dredging.
I always think about her when I think of or have trouble with the law.
Alan Masters died in prison.
Yes, I knew of that . The gossip was that he could not abide smart women who pushed back. Long time ago.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

I've worked in the ER for over 20 years and the police are regular visitors to my home turf.
They're in there all the time.
Guess who I can make wait if I feel like it.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Pellen,
My mom knew Diane Masters. Her name is Dian too.
I was about 19 when Diane disappeared, so I was still a little naive. But she had been missing for months when I was sent down to Alan Masters law office to do a delivery.
This was in the days before Fed Ex, and I was working in my step dad's office.
I remember the creeped out feeling I had when I went into his office.
It was very posh, but I got a very eery feeling and had to get out of there fast.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,099,025
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min wojar 177,253
Melody Top Music Theater: In gentler times, Hil... (Jun '09) 50 min StarMountainKId 19
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 46,267
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr James 68,332
Aurora University student charged with sexual a... 2 hr wow 7
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr JoseBobTheIllinoi... 49,372
Amy 8-26 6 hr Stina2 26
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info