Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Got out of bed and stubbed my toe. Thanks Obama!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Just bought a box of Twinkies.... Thanks Obama's White House chef

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks so much....takes me back to the adventures of 13-14 year olds, a group of us catching the L at Richton Park and going into Randolph station.....the flower stalls and coming out into the hugeness that is Chicago....a mixture of smells slam into you, bus fumes, hotdogs and steam.....we loved eating lunch at Tad's Steakhouse.....hitting S.State Street, where they had Bailey's Army-Navy Surplus...a must for teenage boys, especially before girls and cars, not necessarily in that order...lol...Good Times....
I think you meant the IC (Illinois Central) train. The old cars that had the straw seats that destroyed women's nylons and windows that opened so you could get the full blasts of hot air and dirt? I actually have a picture of this old car.

You guys sure had some big pocket money or was the steak house the ones that sold steak lunches for about $2? Steaks soaked in tenderizer for about a week...those were good. You never went into the library I suppose....:)

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Tads was a chain downtown,,,i think there were 4-5 scattered around...Kinda early Ponderosa or Bonanza....i started working at 12...i could make $60 on one Saturday morning, only limited by how much gas i could carry....Geez, we missed the Library...i do recall a store that sold tricks and pranks, called Shopper's Corner, where these rough guys were very leary of kids like us..."Are you lookin, or buying?"...they would say, shuffling us along and eventually out the door...lol...IC yeah, wonder where i was where it was the "L" for elevated?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
If anyone is interested, this is a nice 10 min. 1948 movie short of Chicago. Kind of thing that was shown at movie theaters in those days.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6YJVqLVu-qpd...
Better then today's Abby....
Wow. There is so much that hasn't changed. I am going to send this to my 83 year old father. He would have been 18 when it was shot and was working at his father's restaurant which was on the route up Michigan avenue.

Thanks

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Tads was a chain downtown,,,i think there were 4-5 scattered around...Kinda early Ponderosa or Bonanza....i started working at 12...i could make $60 on one Saturday morning, only limited by how much gas i could carry....Geez, we missed the Library...i do recall a store that sold tricks and pranks, called Shopper's Corner, where these rough guys were very leary of kids like us..."Are you lookin, or buying?"...they would say, shuffling us along and eventually out the door...lol...IC yeah, wonder where i was where it was the "L" for elevated?
You were in Chicago for the el. Or NY.

BTW, it still smells the same down where the trains come in at Randolph.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

You don't like the NSA tarcking your emails and phone calls?

You don't like Acxiom aggregating your consumer/computer data?

Think where this one could lead

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-18/nona...

Tracking whether you picked up the TV remote??!!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Well, you lived the high life. I used to take the bus to Hammond when I was 11-13 and go shopping in downtown Hammond. We'd spend all day walking around -- Weibolts, Carsons, the little candy shops...

Then they built River Oaks in Calumet City and we went there. Back when it didn't have a roof. And you could actually walk around safely before your movie. Saw Star Wars in River Oaks 1.

Do you remember Hangman's Bridge? I think that was Crete.

Maybe you went over to Indiana or Hegewisch and caught the South Shore.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
You were in Chicago for the el. Or NY.
BTW, it still smells the same down where the trains come in at Randolph.
Not as bad since they've redone Randolph Street station. Had reason to be over there when I took the train over to visit a friend a couple of weeks ago.

Imagine that. No buckets around catching leaking water.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you lived the high life. I used to take the bus to Hammond when I was 11-13 and go shopping in downtown Hammond. We'd spend all day walking around -- Weibolts, Carsons, the little candy shops...
Then they built River Oaks in Calumet City and we went there. Back when it didn't have a roof. And you could actually walk around safely before your movie. Saw Star Wars in River Oaks 1.
Do you remember Hangman's Bridge? I think that was Crete.
Maybe you went over to Indiana or Hegewisch and caught the South Shore.
My folks took us to Indiana alot, was it Cedar Lake....had a huge slide into the water?...Later on we went to Indiana State Dunes many times, i still remember the great Dog and Suds on the way in....saw a guy killed with a 7up bottle there, in this big fight.....also, later on, i fell asleep in my 66 Mustang Coupe and drove it into the woods, outside Chesterton.....lol....i had worked overnite stocking shelves at Jewell, then just decided to go see my Grama in Michigan...how dumb that was....

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not as bad since they've redone Randolph Street station. Had reason to be over there when I took the train over to visit a friend a couple of weeks ago.
Imagine that. No buckets around catching leaking water.
ha... took forever to finish that station. The south electric line is the unloved stepchild of Metra.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

So who likes the Eagles? Better be careful who you have around while listening!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/south-ca...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

"rock music by the Eagles"

Um, "lite rock" maybe.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
"rock music by the Eagles"
Um, "lite rock" maybe.
Did you check out the link? Some woman stabbed a guy for playing the Eagles. Guess she didn't like the song.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you check out the link? Some woman stabbed a guy for playing the Eagles. Guess she didn't like the song.
Yeah, that's where I got the quote about the "rock music" the guy was playing. ;)

I also thought the statement that all three adults were intoxicated went without sayign!:)

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds like a witchy woman

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's where I got the quote about the "rock music" the guy was playing. ;)
I also thought the statement that all three adults were intoxicated went without sayign!:)
They should hve chenged it to Olivia!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>sounds like a witchy woman
Well, she really had taken it to the limit -- and with those lyin' eyes!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Hey, they just needed a vacation at the Hotel California.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

A very cool underwater sculpture, incorrectly described as honoring African slaves who were thrown overboard in Middle Passage, but it's still pretty neat:

http://thebicker.net/image/61547323282

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,281 - 90,300 of96,151
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,034,631
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Rogue Scholar 05 167,685
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 11 min Frijoles 65,184
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min Los Angeles 43,024
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min what 47,075
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 36 min Hbu Hd 1,163
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 1 hr jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,538
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]