Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

And that kid in pakistan shows more guts than I probably have.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
My intent was to find out how the Pakistan children (and Syrian) are doing. You said one kid did great. Most kids aren't going because of the adversity. I went for more knowledge of how the children are faring in those war torn worlds.
The thing is, your comment says more about you than me. To call me dense b/c you cannot understand what I was saying, well... Ever hear of a question? I know. Shoot first, ask questions later. So mature.
Do you believe one child in Pakistan has a statement how all school children should handle adversity? If so, that's ludicrous.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>You're ludicrous, totally and completely!
Like OMG totally!1!

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If you are on a boat trolling and fish for big fish like marlin, aka sport sfishing, then one fish is a trophy in and of itself. The boat that I was on was not such a boat. This boat had 50-75 people on board, each standing at a spot along the rail all the way around the boat. The boat would pick a spot and stop. There was no casting. You bait your hook and simply drop it in yhe water directly below you. Typical fish size is about a foot. Hardly sport fishing. To me, the onky sporting aspect is how many you can catch.
Yeah, but you never know how many you will catch ... if it were that easy to always catch fish, they'd call it "catching," not "fishing." Fish aren't always biting ... some days are good ... some days are bad ... some spots are good on some days ... some spots are bad. High pressure, low pressure, wind ... waves ... water temperature ... currents ... time of year ... tides ... all these things affect fishing.

I just like to fish ... I even like catch and release. I even like fishing in a pond, just for fun. I think most guys who call themselves fishermen are like me.

My buddy and I split 350 to go guide fishing on Lake Geneva a few times. We did it to learn how to fish the lake though. I can catch Walleye like nobody's business up in Canada, but I had been on that lake 50+ times and had never been able to get any out of that lake until he showed us the technique you use there ... lots of bass and a few Northern Pike, but no Walleye. Up in Canada, you can just jig for them. Jigging in Lake Geneva just gets you rock bass, which are basically glorified blue gills. There you had to troll at a specific speed, with a specific rig, and a bit off the bottom.

I even like ice fishing, which basically consists of busting your hump for 45 minutes popping holes in the lake and getting your shanty set up. Then the rest of the day you are bbqing, drinking, playing cards, with the guys and waiting for flags to pop up on tip ups and riding out there on snowmobiles to see what is on your line. It's a lot of fun with a few buddies. I miss doing that.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

RACE wrote:
So your going to ignore this kids triumphs? That is pretty callous. Yeah, she's no hero, nobody's inspiration, I bet you overcame worse didn't you? Hell, she prolly cant even read very well anyway. Ghetto speak is sooooo much more useful in today's world and Ebonics should be required in all schools!
You're ludicrous, totally and completely!
<quoted text>
Where did I ignore the child's triumphs? I was speaking in terms of comparing Pakistan with Chicago. Plous, I didn't post to you initially. I referenced that you referenced Pakistan and looked up that and Syria.

I think it's more than great when children fight adversity and come out on top. Your postings are on equal footing with edogs. Bait and switch when you feel someone is attacking you (when I was not). Just b/c you have Sublime chiming in doesn't make it any less see-through.

Go ahead. Show how brilliant you are with name calling.

I was speaking about Chicago. You were trying to say b/c someone in Pakistan has made it through with flying colors, the kids of Chicago should buck up and quit complaining and do better. At least that's how I took it. Now I would ask that you explain if I have that wrong, but I'm thinking you'll resort to name calling b/c I don't believe you were interested in a discussion.

These kids in grade school in Chicago, NY, Detroit, LA can't carry guns with them everywhere they go for protection -- although sadly I think some of them do. They have a lot on their minds besides school.

I guess we should just ask their parents to teach them to do better in school and that should be enough.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Yeah, but you never know how many you will catch ... if it were that easy to always catch fish, they'd call it "catching," not "fishing." Fish aren't always biting ... some days are good ... some days are bad ... some spots are good on some days ... some spots are bad.
Sure. But that's just the nature of fishing. Not some artificially imposed arbitrary limit. At least without that limit, I have a shot at having a really good day. 10 little fish does not excite me. I won't go out on boat like that again.
Sublime1 wrote:
I just like to fish
Faced with the limit I was not aware of, if I "just wanted to fish", I'd rather save my money and go fish off the pier or off the jetty.
Sublime1 wrote:
... I even like catch and release. I even like fishing in a pond, just for fun. I think most guys who call themselves fishermen are like me.
I don't call myself a fisherman. My fun is had by catching.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
Your postings are on equal footing with edogs.
Hey, while I have paid very little attention to his ramblings, it sounds like he's just looking for something to argue about.

That is SOOOO not how I operate. I only challenge those who put words in my mouth and demand I defend comments and stances I never made or took.

So keep me out of it, please.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ALL agenda-driven. Nice to see more people waking up.
It's so gross...I am all about justice, but it needs to be equitable. When they get in arms about a white killing a black, but not a freaking peep is said about the black teen that shot the white baby in the face in the stroller, I tend to get irate.
I agree...I yearn for the days of Howard K. Smith and Harry Reasoner...lol...For some reason, we are having integration, pushed completely down our....well....BTW, taht case from Bruswick, Georgia....the shooter got life w/o parole....if that is for real in that state....

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

And the second amendment was not put in to protect duck hunters. Or homeowners from intruders. It was put in to protect the people against an oppressive and tyrannical government.

Just keep that in mind.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, while I have paid very little attention to his ramblings, it sounds like he's just looking for something to argue about.
That is SOOOO not how I operate. I only challenge those who put words in my mouth and demand I defend comments and stances I never made or took.
So keep me out of it, please.
Ya, okay. I'll agree that you don't belong in it.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. But that's just the nature of fishing. Not some artificially imposed arbitrary limit. At least without that limit, I have a shot at having a really good day. 10 little fish does not excite me. I won't go out on boat like that again.
<quoted text> Faced with the limit I was not aware of, if I "just wanted to fish", I'd rather save my money and go fish off the pier or off the jetty.
<quoted text>
I don't call myself a fisherman. My fun is had by catching.
Well you are surprised because you don't fish. That's kinda like someone who hasn't ever bowled being upset that he fouled for stepping over the line.

I've never fished anywhere where there was not a limit ... before they had limits there was over fishing and if you were disappointed catching 10 little fish, imagine catching 2.

My grandpa took his family to Canada for a week or 2 week every year in the summer to Eagle Lake ... this would have been in the 50s and 60s ... by the 70s and 80s the lakes were all getting fished out and the lakes up there are HUGE. If you don't have limits, it sux.

Nowadays they have limits and they have the "slot" in a lot of lakes ... if fish is a prime breeding size, you can't even keep it no matter if you are at your limit or not. You can keep trophy and you can keep smaller ones.

You need conservation. Without conservation there is nothing. History has shown this time and time again.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Faced with the limit I was not aware of, if I "just wanted to fish", I'd rather save my money and go fish off the pier or off the jetty.
There is probably a catch limit even off the pier and the jetty. Race might know.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is probably a catch limit even off the pier and the jetty. Race might know.
But it would be much easier to swallow if I'm not shelling out $80. Additionally, I can take my catch back to the cooler in the car, go have lunch, come back later and fish some more starting from zero.
:)

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Sub,
I like pontoon boats puttin' around the lake close to shore every evening during the summer at sunset.
They remind me of a time gone by. A lost innocence.
We used to go to a place in Minnesota called Lake Lizzy when I was knee-high to a grasshopper.
Those are some of my earliest memories....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Are you guys talking about a catch limit or a Keep limit? I am not aware of a limit on how many fish you can catch vs how many you can keep.
Also, Tonka is talking about a drift boat fishing, which is really pretty fun if you pack some sandwitches and beer. If you get the chance, go for a night expedition, the ocean is beautiful at night.
Usually the captian is going for a specific species of fish, and in that case a catch (or keep) limit is justified. If you have 60 people on a boat thats 600 fish (of a single species) so yeah, limits are needed. But if you catch and release everything, I dont believe they are going to stop baiting your hook after your 10th catch.
It's all about not abusing the system.
As for the pier fishing, I honestly dont know. The fish caught is so varied because you are in one place and the fish move past you. Even if a school fo fish run into the pier, it is unlikely you will be able to catch 10 yourself before they move on. Nobody checks your cooler, so I guess you could though.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Like I said, at night, just to be cruising out on the water, its worth the $80.
loose cannon wrote:
Sub,
I like pontoon boats puttin' around the lake close to shore every evening during the summer at sunset.
They remind me of a time gone by. A lost innocence.
We used to go to a place in Minnesota called Lake Lizzy when I was knee-high to a grasshopper.
Those are some of my earliest memories....

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Sick world we live in. Sons of Obama?

http://news.yahoo.com/police-14-old-abducted-...

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

If anyone is interested, this is a nice 10 min. 1948 movie short of Chicago. Kind of thing that was shown at movie theaters in those days.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6YJVqLVu-qpd...

Better then today's Abby....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

dahgts wrote:
If anyone is interested, this is a nice 10 min. 1948 movie short of Chicago. Kind of thing that was shown at movie theaters in those days.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6YJVqLVu-qpd...
Better then today's Abby....
Thanks so much....takes me back to the adventures of 13-14 year olds, a group of us catching the L at Richton Park and going into Randolph station.....the flower stalls and coming out into the hugeness that is Chicago....a mixture of smells slam into you, bus fumes, hotdogs and steam.....we loved eating lunch at Tad's Steakhouse.....hitting S.State Street, where they had Bailey's Army-Navy Surplus...a must for teenage boys, especially before girls and cars, not necessarily in that order...lol...Good Times....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Got out of bed and stubbed my toe. Thanks Obama!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

78 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,078,907
Black Women 37 min joey 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 47 min truth 48,865
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 48 min LRS 174,503
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 52 min HasbhaRAT Trolls Biffers 67,892
Amy 7-23 1 hr Julie 9
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr SpaceBlues 45,767
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 4:15PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE