Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91625 Sep 18, 2013

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91626 Sep 18, 2013
Sick world we live in. Sons of Obama?

http://news.yahoo.com/police-14-old-abducted-...

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#91627 Sep 18, 2013
If anyone is interested, this is a nice 10 min. 1948 movie short of Chicago. Kind of thing that was shown at movie theaters in those days.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6YJVqLVu-qpd...

Better then today's Abby....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91628 Sep 18, 2013
dahgts wrote:
If anyone is interested, this is a nice 10 min. 1948 movie short of Chicago. Kind of thing that was shown at movie theaters in those days.
Thanks so much....takes me back to the adventures of 13-14 year olds, a group of us catching the L at Richton Park and going into Randolph station.....the flower stalls and coming out into the hugeness that is Chicago....a mixture of smells slam into you, bus fumes, hotdogs and steam.....we loved eating lunch at Tad's Steakhouse.....hitting S.State Street, where they had Bailey's Army-Navy Surplus...a must for teenage boys, especially before girls and cars, not necessarily in that order...lol...Good Times....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91629 Sep 18, 2013
Got out of bed and stubbed my toe. Thanks Obama!

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91631 Sep 18, 2013
Just bought a box of Twinkies.... Thanks Obama's White House chef

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91632 Sep 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks so much....takes me back to the adventures of 13-14 year olds, a group of us catching the L at Richton Park and going into Randolph station.....the flower stalls and coming out into the hugeness that is Chicago....a mixture of smells slam into you, bus fumes, hotdogs and steam.....we loved eating lunch at Tad's Steakhouse.....hitting S.State Street, where they had Bailey's Army-Navy Surplus...a must for teenage boys, especially before girls and cars, not necessarily in that order...lol...Good Times....
I think you meant the IC (Illinois Central) train. The old cars that had the straw seats that destroyed women's nylons and windows that opened so you could get the full blasts of hot air and dirt? I actually have a picture of this old car.

You guys sure had some big pocket money or was the steak house the ones that sold steak lunches for about $2? Steaks soaked in tenderizer for about a week...those were good. You never went into the library I suppose....:)

Location hidden

#91633 Sep 18, 2013
Tads was a chain downtown,,,i think there were 4-5 scattered around...Kinda early Ponderosa or Bonanza....i started working at 12...i could make $60 on one Saturday morning, only limited by how much gas i could carry....Geez, we missed the Library...i do recall a store that sold tricks and pranks, called Shopper's Corner, where these rough guys were very leary of kids like us..."Are you lookin, or buying?"...they would say, shuffling us along and eventually out the door...lol...IC yeah, wonder where i was where it was the "L" for elevated?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91634 Sep 18, 2013
dahgts wrote:
Wow. There is so much that hasn't changed. I am going to send this to my 83 year old father. He would have been 18 when it was shot and was working at his father's restaurant which was on the route up Michigan avenue.

Thanks

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91635 Sep 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Tads was a chain downtown,,,i think there were 4-5 scattered around...Kinda early Ponderosa or Bonanza....i started working at 12...i could make $60 on one Saturday morning, only limited by how much gas i could carry....Geez, we missed the Library...i do recall a store that sold tricks and pranks, called Shopper's Corner, where these rough guys were very leary of kids like us..."Are you lookin, or buying?"...they would say, shuffling us along and eventually out the door...lol...IC yeah, wonder where i was where it was the "L" for elevated?
You were in Chicago for the el. Or NY.

BTW, it still smells the same down where the trains come in at Randolph.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91636 Sep 18, 2013
You don't like the NSA tarcking your emails and phone calls?

You don't like Acxiom aggregating your consumer/computer data?

Think where this one could lead

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-18/nona...

Tracking whether you picked up the TV remote??!!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91637 Sep 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Well, you lived the high life. I used to take the bus to Hammond when I was 11-13 and go shopping in downtown Hammond. We'd spend all day walking around -- Weibolts, Carsons, the little candy shops...

Then they built River Oaks in Calumet City and we went there. Back when it didn't have a roof. And you could actually walk around safely before your movie. Saw Star Wars in River Oaks 1.

Do you remember Hangman's Bridge? I think that was Crete.

Maybe you went over to Indiana or Hegewisch and caught the South Shore.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#91638 Sep 18, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
You were in Chicago for the el. Or NY.
BTW, it still smells the same down where the trains come in at Randolph.
Not as bad since they've redone Randolph Street station. Had reason to be over there when I took the train over to visit a friend a couple of weeks ago.

Imagine that. No buckets around catching leaking water.

Location hidden

#91639 Sep 18, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you lived the high life. I used to take the bus to Hammond when I was 11-13 and go shopping in downtown Hammond. We'd spend all day walking around -- Weibolts, Carsons, the little candy shops...
Then they built River Oaks in Calumet City and we went there. Back when it didn't have a roof. And you could actually walk around safely before your movie. Saw Star Wars in River Oaks 1.
Do you remember Hangman's Bridge? I think that was Crete.
Maybe you went over to Indiana or Hegewisch and caught the South Shore.
My folks took us to Indiana alot, was it Cedar Lake....had a huge slide into the water?...Later on we went to Indiana State Dunes many times, i still remember the great Dog and Suds on the way in....saw a guy killed with a 7up bottle there, in this big fight.....also, later on, i fell asleep in my 66 Mustang Coupe and drove it into the woods, outside Chesterton.....lol....i had worked overnite stocking shelves at Jewell, then just decided to go see my Grama in Michigan...how dumb that was....

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#91640 Sep 18, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not as bad since they've redone Randolph Street station. Had reason to be over there when I took the train over to visit a friend a couple of weeks ago.
Imagine that. No buckets around catching leaking water.
ha... took forever to finish that station. The south electric line is the unloved stepchild of Metra.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#91641 Sep 18, 2013
So who likes the Eagles? Better be careful who you have around while listening!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/south-ca...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91642 Sep 18, 2013
"rock music by the Eagles"

Um, "lite rock" maybe.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#91643 Sep 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
"rock music by the Eagles"
Um, "lite rock" maybe.
Did you check out the link? Some woman stabbed a guy for playing the Eagles. Guess she didn't like the song.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91644 Sep 18, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you check out the link? Some woman stabbed a guy for playing the Eagles. Guess she didn't like the song.
Yeah, that's where I got the quote about the "rock music" the guy was playing. ;)

I also thought the statement that all three adults were intoxicated went without sayign!:)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91645 Sep 18, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds like a witchy woman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 28 min Le Jimbo 17
1 dead, 9 injured in daytime Chicago shootings 35 min reality is a crutch 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 47 min Bluestater 1,153,955
xtra xtra read all about it! 1 hr Read and weep 1
The truth regarding Ebola 1 hr C_Evertt Coop 2
Italian boys confession. 1 hr Bubba Klintler 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Earthling-1 49,187
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 hr Sunshine 181,798
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:17 am PST

NBC Sports11:17AM