Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

That still does nothing to justify the absurdity of telling an employer they cant consider criminal history when hiring.
Are you really thinking a huge investment company who moves millions of dollars daily is going to be required to not consider a persons criminal history? Do you think the SEC and FINRA are going to excuse something being stolen, embezzled, or improperly traded just because obamma said they had to ignore the persons history of embezzlement and hired them?

More feel good do nothing legislation that will only hurt the honest workers and drive them to crime to feed their family's because the criminals who robbed their homes are now stealing their jobs, just because their a minority and did not bother to finish school and compete honestly.

Bleh!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nope, sub, you aren't right just because you say you are. I see the effects of long-term institutionalized racism in this country. Yay for you that you don't.
AFter all, you got yours, who cares about anybody else? "Please" is right.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>In school, teaching?
Yeah, not really sure what his point was, as armed teachers have no bearing on this incident.
Obvious guy

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I also think until you address the root causes for these statistics, which is not society, but home life and community life, you'll never make things better. If you really want to help folks, you need to tackle the root cause, not blame other folks who play no role in individual decision making or address the symptoms, but not the causes.
I don't cause black males to drop out of high school. I don't cause black males to go to prison. I don't cause black males to impregnate women they are not married to (thus ensuring another generation that will likely repeat the cycle).
I think liberals would have a point that it is racism if if black folks graduated at the same rate as other groups, went to college at the same rate as other groups, had similar incarceration rates as other groups, but to have all these statistical disparities going on and say that it is racism that causes them to lag other groups and not these statistical disparities, is bat shyte crazy.
Why won't my kids drop out of high school, cause I won't let them drop out of high school. I've stressed education since they were young kids. You don't have that sort of parental involvement in a higher percentage of black families. That is why more black males drop out. It has nothing to do with white people. It has nothing to do with society. It has everything to do with parenting. This one issue is a microcosm for what causes the statistical disparities I pointed out.
Rather than address it, liberals want to stick their head in the sand and ignore it, pretend it doesn't exist, and not even attempt to address it. Their solution is just throw more handouts at them, which only means the cycle will repeat itself, as it has been for the last 50-60 years.
It is the breakdown at the family level that is the major cause for these things, plain and simple.
OH! So, it's NOT you and NOT society. It's liberals!

Thanks for clearing that up!
The point

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, not really sure what his point was, as armed teachers have no bearing on this incident.
And neither did trained, armed guards.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That carries as much weight as an order of protection. It's paper . The guys it is directed at ignore it.
While I agree, I believe you get caught fishing after you've been banned for life (or FOR LIFE as Red says :)), then perhaps the next step is a huge fine and jail time.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Jews have been treated badly longer than any other definable group and bad things have happened to them as a group even before the Holocaust, but by and large , except for the Holocaust Jews were not rounded up and enslaved, transported as cargo and never let go.
Jews assimilate. Historically conversion was accepted even if it was at the point of a sword or a burning stake.
Blacks can't convert to being white. It doesn't matter what's under the skin, they get shot by cops 10 times when running for help after a car accident.
The group knows I come from a Jewish background. Bad things happened to people I knew and more of their relatives, but I think Blacks have it worse.
It really doesn't matter who is treated worse.

When barely 50 percent of _____(fill in what ever group you wish) males graduate high school, when almost 75% of of this same groups children are born out of wedlock, and when this same group has incarceration rates on par with that of black males, that group is not going to fare well, regardless.

I don't care what their religion is, what color their skin is, what language they speak or where they come from.

If I'm white, made a poor choice, and shot off my own foot and now I am in a race and have to hop around the track on one foot, it really doesn't matter if the official judging the race is racist towards white people. I'm not going to be able to compete against folks who haven't shot their foot off.

This is is an indisputable fact

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Maybe because I'm not reading too much about this naval yard shooter, but I'm not seeing this as a black/white thing. This kind of workplace shooting/mass shooting rarely seems to be about race. After all, these people are f*cking crazy and crazy comes in all colors.
The story that I do think is about race is about this young black guy killed (shot 10 times) in NC by a cop. I believe that if you inserted a white guy into the same set of circumstances, no way would he have ended up dead, shot 10 times.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/family-man-shot-...
I don't think the shooting was race-based at all. But the media coverage certainly is. The story that someone posted earlier contains 2 pictures of the one black victim, as well as 1 of his widow. It has 1 picture of one of the 11 white victims.
The story you linked said that 4 other people have been shot and killed by officers of that department in less than 2 years. Were they all black? I haven't found any article that gives any details about the previous shootings, so I['m curious.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
just because their a minority and did not bother to finish school and compete honestly.
Bleh!
<quoted text>
No, but you see, Race, what you are failing to appreciate is that their, great, great, great grandpa was a slave and their grandpa had a dog and fire hose set upon them. This is why they didn't finish school, and how could they be expected to finish school? You can't finish school when you have family history like that. Duh!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

itser wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think the shooting was race-based at all. But the media coverage certainly is. The story that someone posted earlier contains 2 pictures of the one black victim, as well as 1 of his widow. It has 1 picture of one of the 11 white victims.
The story you linked said that 4 other people have been shot and killed by officers of that department in less than 2 years. Were they all black? I haven't found any article that gives any details about the previous shootings, so I['m curious.
July 2012
http://www.qcitymetro.com/news/articles/cmpd_...

June 2013
http://www.fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/cha...

But no pic of the victim.

That was all I could quickly find. Gotta go back to work!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
If I'm white, made a poor choice, and shot off my own foot and now I am in a race and have to hop around the track on one foot, it really doesn't matter if the official judging the race is racist towards white people. I'm not going to be able to compete against folks who haven't shot their foot off.
This is is an indisputable fact
But no matter if you believe it or not, the majority of black kids start off in this little footrace of yours at least a lap behind white kids. Emotionally, mentally, the white kid who grew up in a normal neighborhood where he could, yanno, play in his yard or ride his bike to the store without being shot at or assaulted by gangbangers because he won't join is going to have an advantage in his adult life. There are kids on the south and west side of chicago who cannot go outside and play like normal children are supposed to do, they cannot walk to school without fear of being shot at. You really think that they are going to be able to concentrate in school when they're worried about making it home alive? They basically live in a war zone and will not be able to compete with children who are living a normal life. That you think you can compare them to your children (or mine) is troubling to me.

I already know that you're going to rip me for my stoopid liberal views, but just because you type faster and are probably smarter than I am, does not always make you right.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
But no matter if you believe it or not, the majority of black kids start off in this little footrace of yours at least a lap behind white kids. Emotionally, mentally, the white kid who grew up in a normal neighborhood where he could, yanno, play in his yard or ride his bike to the store without being shot at or assaulted by gangbangers because he won't join is going to have an advantage in his adult life. There are kids on the south and west side of chicago who cannot go outside and play like normal children are supposed to do, they cannot walk to school without fear of being shot at. You really think that they are going to be able to concentrate in school when they're worried about making it home alive? They basically live in a war zone and will not be able to compete with children who are living a normal life. That you think you can compare them to your children (or mine) is troubling to me.
I already know that you're going to rip me for my stoopid liberal views, but just because you type faster and are probably smarter than I am, does not always make you right.
Squishy-
How do you account for the white kids who grew up under similar conditions?
One possibility is that they have drop out and crime rate the same as black kids but because they are a smaller segment of a big group, we don't " see" them statistically. That brings up other issues like, what if this is a social , parental involvement , income based issue rather than race.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Q: Who do these black kids on the south and west sides live by and who causes their neighborhoods to be so unsafe?

A: Itís black people.

It really is not white peopleís fault or societyís fault that poor black people canít live by each other, without killing each other, robbing each other, and generating all the other adverse consequences that arise when you put them together.

There is no other race in this country, when you stick them together and they are poor, who fail as miserably. Not even close. This has been going on for more than a few generations too. This isnít like, oh, the first generation and maybe the second will have it rough and make sacrifices so that subsequent generations can do better, like EVERY OTHER GROUP IN THIS COUNTRY HAS DONE.

There is a problem and it is within these communities. We need to address that if you want to do something about it.
Obvious guy

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Q: Who do these black kids on the south and west sides live by and who causes their neighborhoods to be so unsafe?
A: Itís black people.
It really is not white peopleís fault or societyís fault that poor black people canít live by each other, without killing each other, robbing each other, and generating all the other adverse consequences that arise when you put them together.
There is no other race in this country, when you stick them together and they are poor, who fail as miserably. Not even close. This has been going on for more than a few generations too. This isnít like, oh, the first generation and maybe the second will have it rough and make sacrifices so that subsequent generations can do better, like EVERY OTHER GROUP IN THIS COUNTRY HAS DONE.
There is a problem and it is within these communities. We need to address that if you want to do something about it.
He's not smarter than you, Squishy. This^^^ proves that.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
While you have a VERY valid argument and I don't disagree with your point, it circles back to Sublime's argument of the root problem of parenting, schooling, etc. Maybe the kids would be able to focus more and stay on the right track even in a bad neighborhood if their parents would break the cycle and be better role models, choose not have several kid with absent fathers, get an education, etc. There are people that have broken that cycle before. They have to make that choice to break it, though. And a kid from that background probably has a better shot at college right now (if they work hard in school) then, say, I did at that age. They will be eligible for scholarships and grants that most would never get. My parents couldn't afford to send me to school, either. But I also wasn't eligible for very many scholarships or grants because of where I grew up.

So, I am not going to say it's EASY to break the cycle of generations of poor choices, but that's what needs to be done and, again, like Sublime says, it starts with the family.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
While you have a VERY valid argument and I don't disagree with your point, it circles back to Sublime's argument of the root problem of parenting, schooling, etc. Maybe the kids would be able to focus more and stay on the right track even in a bad neighborhood if their parents would break the cycle and be better role models, choose not have several kid with absent fathers, get an education, etc. There are people that have broken that cycle before. They have to make that choice to break it, though. And a kid from that background probably has a better shot at college right now (if they work hard in school) then, say, I did at that age. They will be eligible for scholarships and grants that most would never get. My parents couldn't afford to send me to school, either. But I also wasn't eligible for very many scholarships or grants because of where I grew up.
So, I am not going to say it's EASY to break the cycle of generations of poor choices, but that's what needs to be done and, again, like Sublime says, it starts with the family.
Very well said.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

OT.

I had to go to a State of Illinois website this afternoon, one that I visit with some regularity and which is, for me, password protected.

Under the box where I choose what I am looking for, there is a drop down box for choice of language.

For reasons buried deep in my unconscious, I clicked that box.

My language choices include
1. Simplified Chinese
2. Russian
3. Polish
4. Spanish
5. Maltese**
6. Klingon

I spent the next half hour trying to find a human to report that either we have a real joker in state government(Hah!) or the site has been hacked.

** I had to look this one up.It is a Semitic language derived from Siculo-Arabic (and is NOT an Indo-European language); however a majority of vocabulary comes from Sicilian and Italian.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Here's the thing. The very poorest people live in the most dangerous neighborhoods. How do you think people in these neighborhoods will get decent schooling, housing and food?

The parents do not know any better b/c they've lived in that all their lives. They most likely had addicted or abusive parents as well as little or no education.

So the cycle continues.

Yes, there are people that have broken the cycle but I believe they are the exception.

Somehow this country has to give these people a hand up and pointing fingers isn't going to do it.

I wish I had the answer as to how but I don't.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

PEllen wrote:
OT.
I had to go to a State of Illinois website this afternoon, one that I visit with some regularity and which is, for me, password protected.
Under the box where I choose what I am looking for, there is a drop down box for choice of language.
For reasons buried deep in my unconscious, I clicked that box.
My language choices include
1. Simplified Chinese
2. Russian
3. Polish
4. Spanish
5. Maltese**
6. Klingon
I spent the next half hour trying to find a human to report that either we have a real joker in state government(Hah!) or the site has been hacked.
** I had to look this one up.It is a Semitic language derived from Siculo-Arabic (and is NOT an Indo-European language); however a majority of vocabulary comes from Sicilian and Italian.
Wow. I snickered at "Klingon!"

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

I think welfare (AFDC -- Aid to Families with Dependent Children) had good intentions, it's created a few generations of entitlement with no sense of setting goals for their future or improving themselves.

We also have sent a whole chunk of society a message that fathers are unimportant and unnecessary in the lives of the children they create. Why keep the man around? THe government will give you a check! WHy stick around to raise your kids? They'll eat whether you give money to their mom or not.

I shop at a pretty ghetto grocery store and I see people using food stamps, including a family with FIVE kids and all five had blue tooth ear devices on them. WTH?

I don't think we can abolish that program and expect them to all of a sudden *perform* to our expectations. But something has to be done. We're not doing them any favors by letting them set the bar so low for their standard of living, and so long as they meet that low bar, it's all good.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Not for nothing but that girl in Pakistan got half her head blown off just for going to school, and she is thriving.
If she can do it, how hard can it be for the kids in chicago who have cops escorting them to school every day? I aint saying its easy for them, but there are millions of kids who have it worse and manage to succeed.
Toj wrote:
Here's the thing. The very poorest people live in the most dangerous neighborhoods. How do you think people in these neighborhoods will get decent schooling, housing and food?
The parents do not know any better b/c they've lived in that all their lives. They most likely had addicted or abusive parents as well as little or no education.
So the cycle continues.
Yes, there are people that have broken the cycle but I believe they are the exception.
Somehow this country has to give these people a hand up and pointing fingers isn't going to do it.
I wish I had the answer as to how but I don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:15AM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••