Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91463 Sep 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. However, girls that age can be very idealistic and some rigid in their thinking. A generalization, of course.
Did you read the comments? THere were some good ones, including from a woman who was pointing out that she can't fault a 19, 20 year old college student for not having balls of steel in this situation. At that age, they're still navigating the waters of life and thinking about their futures.

She said it better than I paraphrased. But she saved most of her disappointment and judgment for the adults *out of college*-- the alums who didn't let the black girls join the sororities.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#91464 Sep 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Another example of a person and I'm wondering why that person is on this Earth. And TEACHING! And we wonder why kids aren't learning.
Not as bad as the gun game guy, though.
That's another reason why NC got rid of teacher tenure. If you are good, you get a four year contract, if not, you operate year to year. I think that is good.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#91465 Sep 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the hell isn't he at least charged with manslaughter? I don't believe the "game" thing. Where the hell is the mother? Letting this idiot play that "game" -- she's just a culpable in my view if she knew about this game.
Why do people live on this Earth like this?
It's Obama's fault.

Location hidden

#91466 Sep 16, 2013
That albino Indian family, what an interesting read! Thanks for posting that!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91467 Sep 16, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Obama's fault.
Ha! Of course it is.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91468 Sep 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the comments? THere were some good ones, including from a woman who was pointing out that she can't fault a 19, 20 year old college student for not having balls of steel in this situation. At that age, they're still navigating the waters of life and thinking about their futures.
She said it better than I paraphrased. But she saved most of her disappointment and judgment for the adults *out of college*-- the alums who didn't let the black girls join the sororities.
Well, I agree aboutg the adults "out of college". Those are flat out racists.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91469 Sep 16, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's another reason why NC got rid of teacher tenure. If you are good, you get a four year contract, if not, you operate year to year. I think that is good.
I wish all states did that!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91470 Sep 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. Remembering myself at that age, I would think they would be *more* ballsy and outspoken about it because so many of us at that age were so idealistic and out to change the world and fight against injustices. At least I was and most people I knew were. I'd have been more apt to quit a social club in the interest of standing up for what was right. But maybe that's not what most people that age think.

Location hidden

#91471 Sep 16, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. Remembering myself at that age, I would think they would be *more* ballsy and outspoken about it because so many of us at that age were so idealistic and out to change the world and fight against injustices. At least I was and most people I knew were. I'd have been more apt to quit a social club in the interest of standing up for what was right. But maybe that's not what most people that age think.
I was like that as well... but when I think of someone who wants to conform and be accepted into a privileged group... she might not be so quick to risk that.

Location hidden

#91472 Sep 16, 2013
And let's remember: It's current students -- current sorority members -- who brought this to the attention of the school paper and are making a stink, and letting their names be used.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91473 Sep 16, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole Aryan thing was a myth, according to my understanding, but they are considered caucasian. Here is a picture of albino indians and they have rather European like features, IMO:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/06/in...
Interesting read. The aryan thing isn't a myth. It has to do with linguistics. Sanskrit is an Indo-Aryan language, over time this evolved into modern Indian languages such as Hindi, German, English, Farsi, etc. They are sometimes called Indo-European.

At any rate they *are8 caucasian which in mutt world means white, so yanno. Plus she's American. But in mutt world that means white skin, so there's that.

Location hidden

#91474 Sep 16, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish all states did that!
I like how it is a hybrid system. If you are good (top 25% get 4 year contracts), you get the security that 4 a year contract provides, and I like that it gives teachers something to work for.

I don't understand why educators have felt entitled to just coast. Given the importance of education to a society, it seems almost backwards to create a tenure system that all but ensures it. How many folks are going to strive to work relatively hard if their salary and job security has nothing to do with how much effort they put in?

Location hidden

#91475 Sep 16, 2013
It didn't start out as coasting, sub. It was a system put in place to keep politics from being what determines whether someone has a job. But these days, I think many to most good teachers are insulted by the notion that they need tenure in order to stay in a good teaching job. THey want to be judged more on their merits than as a collective bargaining unit. But a big part of that is, they aren't aware of how bad it used to be.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91476 Sep 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I was like that as well... but when I think of someone who wants to conform and be accepted into a privileged group... she might not be so quick to risk that.
Very good point.

Also good point that it was students, using their names, speaking out. I wonder if they'll eventually walk away.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91477 Sep 16, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I like how it is a hybrid system. If you are good (top 25% get 4 year contracts), you get the security that 4 a year contract provides, and I like that it gives teachers something to work for.
I don't understand why educators have felt entitled to just coast. Given the importance of education to a society, it seems almost backwards to create a tenure system that all but ensures it. How many folks are going to strive to work relatively hard if their salary and job security has nothing to do with how much effort they put in?
Yeah, the hybrid thing is good. It's rewarding the better performers, but not making that reward indefinite. I get reviewed every year and my pay is based on it. Granted, I am the employee every manager dreams of: 5 star, A+++++, but even *I'd* be tempted to slack if it didn't matter!!!:)

Location hidden

#91478 Sep 16, 2013
Interesting, seemingly fair summary as to what happened to Detroit:

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articles/opinio...

And it looks like Los Angeles won't be far behind.

Location hidden

#91479 Sep 16, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a lot of folks who feel that way would never even join a sorority like that in the first place, tho. So, that voice is probably less common or absent in such a setting. I mean, if you feel that way are you really going to join a house that goes against the things you believe in and expect to be the person who changes it? Probably not ... you are probably going to seek out a house with folks whose company you enjoy and who by and large share your values.

I didn't want to be in one of the elitist snooty fraternities, because I just didn't want to be around those types. I didn't even visit any of them. I'm just not that way. I donít like folks who are pretentious.

I didn't even plan to join one at all ... my dorm roommate had met a bunch of guys from one house when he came to visit during the summer and one of the first nights after we moved in he invited me to party, and I met them, they seemed like nice guys, and that's how I joined.

The one I joined wasn't one of the larger ones on campus. When I joined there were maybe 40 guys in the house (but my pledge class had 16 guys in it and our next class in the spring had like 12 guys in it). When I pledged, of active members, there was a black guy, about 4 or 5 asian guys, and my pledge father, who I picked to kind of be my mentor when I was a pledge, who was puerto rican. For Wisconsin, thatís pretty diverse.

I can't say I sought out a house that had some diversity. I'm just not one to think in those terms Ö I prefer colorblindness to preference of any group, including a preference to the presence of minorities. However, I certainly would not want to be a part of an organization that discriminated against folks because of their skin color or race, and I would be the first to say f' that, if that sort of thing was going on.

I would have hated being in a house with a bunch of snobsÖ The folks who will seek out such a house are either a) very insecure, want to fit in at all costs, and because of this are not likely to speak up for what is right or b) they are snobs themselves and likely to be the very ones who enforce such a policy in the first place.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91480 Sep 16, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole Aryan thing was a myth, according to my understanding, but they are considered caucasian. Here is a picture of albino indians and they have rather European like features, IMO:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/06/in...
I'd seen their picture before, but got no backstory. That's fascinating. Interesting that they moved from Tamil Nadu to a more progressive area. That's where I was supposed to be going, and it's definitely very old school compared to other areas of India. I guess the fact that they're alive shows that it's not as bad for Indians with albinism as it is for some in Africa.

Location hidden

#91481 Sep 16, 2013
I know people who joined frats/sororities because it ended up being cheaper than living in the dorms.

Location hidden

#91482 Sep 16, 2013
This was interesting (and not too long):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ny-wif...

Basically, man killed his SON and his then-wife (or she may even have been a new ex at that point) for insurance money, and his latest wife figured it out and then got scared, b/c he had $1.2M life insurance on her.

I can understand killing your spouse for the insurance money. I mean, it's nuts, you're crazy to do it, but I can get it. That love is gone, you may now despise that person. But your own CHILD?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Bluestater 1,114,658
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Rogue Scholar 05 178,569
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min Saint Demetrius 50,006
Abia State University, Direct entry admission c... 46 min prof vicktor 1
Abby 9-30 49 min edogxxx 2
Amy 9-30 52 min edogxxx 2
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,544

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]