Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91497 Sep 16, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting read. The aryan thing isn't a myth. It has to do with linguistics. Sanskrit is an Indo-Aryan language, over time this evolved into modern Indian languages such as Hindi, German, English, Farsi, etc. They are sometimes called Indo-European.
At any rate they *are8 caucasian which in mutt world means white, so yanno. Plus she's American. But in mutt world that means white skin, so there's that.
I have done some reading in historical linguistics. I have not encountered the term Indo-Aryan before. It is always Indo-European.
Aryan is a charged word with many adverse connotations especially since WWII.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91498 Sep 16, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have done some reading in historical linguistics. I have not encountered the term Indo-Aryan before. It is always Indo-European.
Aryan is a charged word with many adverse connotations especially since WWII.
Yes it is almost exclusively called Indo-European, nevertheless it was called Indo-Aryan for a time. Indo=Indus Valley.

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/soas/

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/286...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Aryan_peopl...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Aryan_langu...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91499 Sep 16, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91500 Sep 16, 2013
Spot checking your sources,

EB defines Indo Aryan as a branch of Indo European languages

Wikipedia refers to Aryans as speakers of Indo European languages
The Univesity of Chicago link is a dictionary . the page does not discuss or distinguish which families the languages fall into.

It appears that Indo Aryan is a subset of Indo European languages and the the two terms should not be used interchangeably.

Have you read The Horse, The Wheel and Language , by D. Anthony ( pub. c. 2009)? The first couple chapter are a rather interesting discussion on whether historical linguistics can be a valid science or if it is just speculation which cannot be proven.

Someone here, possibly Stina, come from a Hungarian background. Finnish, Hungarian and Basque are not on the Indo European tree. I has fascinated me how those languages spread , why they were not overrun by the In-Eur groups and whether that had anything to do with the switch from hunger gatherers to agriculture

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91501 Sep 16, 2013
Re the sorority thing.

Greek life plays a much bigger role in campus life in the southern US universities .
I thought on of the larger southern state universities either banned all Greek organization or put a severe resurrection on it in the last 2 years. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

My Daugherty was in a house as an undergrad which had partying problems. Both the college and their national came down pretty hard on them. Schools take a position that they stand in the place of parents (in loco parentis). National organizations of the various houses do as well. The amount of authority exerted is pretty significant. Props to the AL girls who pushed back on pledging the black girl; their action and the response of their parent organization is going to reverberate in their lives for many years.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91502 Sep 16, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Spot checking your sources,
EB defines Indo Aryan as a branch of Indo European languages
Wikipedia refers to Aryans as speakers of Indo European languages
The Univesity of Chicago link is a dictionary . the page does not discuss or distinguish which families the languages fall into.
It appears that Indo Aryan is a subset of Indo European languages and the the two terms should not be used interchangeably.
Have you read The Horse, The Wheel and Language , by D. Anthony ( pub. c. 2009)? The first couple chapter are a rather interesting discussion on whether historical linguistics can be a valid science or if it is just speculation which cannot be proven.
Someone here, possibly Stina, come from a Hungarian background. Finnish, Hungarian and Basque are not on the Indo European tree. I has fascinated me how those languages spread , why they were not overrun by the In-Eur groups and whether that had anything to do with the switch from hunger gatherers to agriculture
Yeah I know those were just the first few that came up with google. TBH I'm like totally NOT into linguistics. Separating parts of language, syntax, grammar, etc. really bores me to tears. I took the linguistics classes I needed to but other than that I really stay away from it as a sub-discipline.

I pretty much feel the same way about archaeology too. I like the cultural connections, but I don't want to be trying to piece together pottery. Let someone else get the artifacts and I will interpret the culture.

My main point however was that Indian people are considered to be caucasian. Of course race is a social construction not a biological distinction. <shrug>

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91503 Sep 16, 2013
"My main point however was that Indian people are considered to be caucasian. Of course race is a social construction not a biological distinction. "

Straightforward statement.I think that people in North America generally agree with that.I am not so sure about the Brits, if I read the news reports correctly.They seem to call both South Asians and Africans "blacks", and more to the point they seem to treat them alike.

I took some anthropology courses in the mid 60's. I kept the textbooks.They were still able to get photographs of people who were typical of their ethnic or racial group. Somewhere there was a chart showing the physical characteristics that supposedly distinguished the races. It then became unacceptable to discuss that; I have always wondered whether there was any scientific accuracy to the criteria. The one I remember was that Africans' femurs were proportionately longer than whites

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91504 Sep 16, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Spot checking your sources,
I has fascinated me how those languages spread , why they were not overrun by the In-Eur groups and whether that had anything to do with the switch from hunger gatherers to agriculture
Languages spread with migrations of peoples; somewhat HG cultures but more with migrations. HGs tend to be localized, even if like modern day Ju/'hoansi (!Kung San "bushmen") they have a large range. Migrations from A to B however took languages with them. Settlement into agricultural societies localized them. Eventually the languages evolved over time into the languages we know today. It's much more complex than that, but that's the basic gist of it.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91505 Sep 16, 2013
PEllen wrote:
"My main point however was that Indian people are considered to be caucasian. Of course race is a social construction not a biological distinction. "
Straightforward statement.I think that people in North America generally agree with that.I am not so sure about the Brits, if I read the news reports correctly.They seem to call both South Asians and Africans "blacks", and more to the point they seem to treat them alike.
I took some anthropology courses in the mid 60's. I kept the textbooks.They were still able to get photographs of people who were typical of their ethnic or racial group. Somewhere there was a chart showing the physical characteristics that supposedly distinguished the races. It then became unacceptable to discuss that; I have always wondered whether there was any scientific accuracy to the criteria. The one I remember was that Africans' femurs were proportionately longer than whites
There is not. There is more diversity within any given "race than between people with different colored skin." DNA has proven that human beings, Homo sapiens are biologically all the same "race." I've read that kind of stuff you're talking about. It was even a pretty popular idea into the 80s and even the early 90s, but much like phrenology it's been relegated to the pile titled "pseudoscience."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#91506 Sep 17, 2013

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#91507 Sep 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is almost exclusively called Indo-European, nevertheless it was called Indo-Aryan for a time. Indo=Indus Valley.
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/soas/
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/286...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Aryan_peopl...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Aryan_langu...
So you're an anthropological scholar and use wikipedia to cite your sources....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#91508 Sep 17, 2013
And where do I begin with this?

A BLACK man shoots up an office full of WHITE people. Where's all the race-baters now??

The guvment can't even protect themselves, yet we expect them to protect us??

And why do these mass shootings seem to happen where firearms are forbidden??

Lemme guess, there's gonna be yet ANOTHER push for more gun control, because that seems the only likely way to prevent these things, right?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91509 Sep 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
And where do I begin with this?
A BLACK man shoots up an office full of WHITE people. Where's all the race-baters now??
The guvment can't even protect themselves, yet we expect them to protect us??
And why do these mass shootings seem to happen where firearms are forbidden??
Lemme guess, there's gonna be yet ANOTHER push for more gun control, because that seems the only likely way to prevent these things, right?
After viewing the Social Engineering, that went on during the Zimmerman trial....i am alot more sensitive to agenda-driven news...Example, after the horrible story of the black guy killing 12 at the U.S. Navy Yard....CBS this morning felt compelled to add a segment on the nice black guy, that helped the blind older, black gentleman out of the danger......that in itself is a wonderful side story......if only i was'nt so aware of the timing and the agenda behind it....am i outta line?

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#91510 Sep 17, 2013
I dunno, Every interview I saw was with a black person, I did not see one white person interviewed.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> After viewing the Social Engineering, that went on during the Zimmerman trial....i am alot more sensitive to agenda-driven news...Example, after the horrible story of the black guy killing 12 at the U.S. Navy Yard....CBS this morning felt compelled to add a segment on the nice black guy, that helped the blind older, black gentleman out of the danger......that in itself is a wonderful side story......if only i was'nt so aware of the timing and the agenda behind it....am i outta line?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91511 Sep 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
And where do I begin with this?
A BLACK man shoots up an office full of WHITE people. Where's all the race-baters now??
Go check the comments threads on the newspaper stories on this. You'll find plenty.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91512 Sep 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're an anthropological scholar and use wikipedia to cite your sources....
We are on an informal chat room. If she was siting for a viva voce exam these would not be acceptable. The level is appropriate to the forum. She was answering me and I was not offended nor did I think it was shallow. She included an Encyclopedia Britannica cite and I have first hand knowledge of the. level of scholarship that is behind that entry.In addition, when I challenged whether her sources supported her contention, she replied with substances and further explanation- not defensive excuses.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91513 Sep 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
And where do I begin with this?
A BLACK man shoots up an office full of WHITE people. Where's all the race-baters now??
The guvment can't even protect themselves, yet we expect them to protect us??
And why do these mass shootings seem to happen where firearms are forbidden??
Lemme guess, there's gonna be yet ANOTHER push for more gun control, because that seems the only likely way to prevent these things, right?
Not gun control, no. But i wouldn't mind seeing more psychological screening before letting people into the military

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91514 Sep 17, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not gun control, no. But i wouldn't mind seeing more psychological screening before letting people into the military
As well as screening during and upon being discharged.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91515 Sep 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're an anthropological scholar and use wikipedia to cite your sources....
Yes, my 4.2 GPA is allllll about wikipedia.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91516 Sep 17, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>We are on an informal chat room. If she was siting for a viva voce exam these would not be acceptable. The level is appropriate to the forum. She was answering me and I was not offended nor did I think it was shallow. She included an Encyclopedia Britannica cite and I have first hand knowledge of the. level of scholarship that is behind that entry.In addition, when I challenged whether her sources supported her contention, she replied with substances and further explanation- not defensive excuses.
Thanks. I didn't really think it needed explaining, but thanks for doing it.:) Silly me I figured everyone kind of understood that this forum isn't dissertation level scholarship. <sigh>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Fitius T Bluster 1,640,985
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Fugooo 64,113
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 9 hr Amazing Skulduggery 1
Well, Well Whatdayaknow? 10 hr Colored History 13
HRC loves Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. 15 hr Screwed by owner 3
J. Biden, Franken & Weinstein from the same mold. 15 hr VERY Believable-True 2
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Lincoln Square 15 hr SamanthaC 21

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages