French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

Judged:

I don't pay much attention to handicap parking scofflaws.
Tonka, I have a computer guru coming over tomorrow morning to try and fire up my computer.
Went to Fry's today and kinda chewed the guy out when he started laughing about my problem. I had to remind him that I did buy it off them originally. It's only a few years old and has always worked fine for me.
It's just really disappointing that I may have to shell out a few hundred dollars because someone hacked my system.
I'll let you know what happens.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

I am also familiar with the diseases on your list. You have been dealt a rotten hand, no doubt about it.How do you cope when you have a flare up someplace like Nepal or Morocco?
I've been really lucky for the most part. I did get really sick in Morocco, and I still maintain that if everyone had just let me ALONE and NOT insisted I go to the ER I wouldn't have gotten as sick as I did, but, whatever yanno? The hospital, and I use that word loosely, in that neighborhood left a lot to be desired. Fortunately the consulate took pity on me and got me seen by the same doctors the (American) embassy workers use so I lived.

Also a lot of it was when I was younger and dealt with/bounced back easier, before the COPD and CHF...

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not defending eDog here.
I think the question is whether the parking placards should be confined to people who have mobility limitations or whether they should also be available to people with exertional limitations.
I'm sure Chicago has abuses. It's Chicago. If there wasn't corruption it just wouldn't be Chicago.:) There are abuses to all systems everywhere in all cities. That's life. I do not think though that the vast majority of people are abusing the system, the rare doctor that will sign it for any reason (and $$$ I imagine) not withstanding.

I get the whole mobility limitations thing, but really, someone in a wheelchair actually could possibly have an easier (nor easy, just easiER) time getting from A to B than I do, especially if it's motorized. There is not a need to stop in order to breathe every few feet, there is not the non-cooperation of their muscles and joints when trying to walk, there is not a loss of balance threatening to topple them on to the asphalt in front of the entire world.

Unless you (the general you) need to stop every 15 feet because it's too far to walk for all of the reasons I listed (medically) independently and in any configuration as well as a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't mention then you (again the general you) have no idea how important it is to be able to park as close as possible.

And no matter what anyone thinks about what Edog was trying to say, the fact that he not only questioned my need, but the manner in which he did it cast doubt on my veracity. It was offensive and insulting. It is a perfect example of the DB woman today who thinks that they know better than ALL of my doctors whether or not I have mobility issues.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

so close yet so far for me on some of the stuff from germany.... haven't been to oktoberfest (too many people for my liking) and we haven't made it to the big castle. while we haven't made it to frankfurt for the christmas market, we have been to nurnburg (sp?) which was the first, adn the one in hte big square in munich, which is very large.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not offering opinion on what to "do" about people gaming the system. My point was the system can be abused.
no shit einstein. Everything can be abused. So because its possible to abuse the system, its ok to assume anyone who does not look crippled enough for you is committing fraud and needs to be put on trial by some stranger in a parking lot?
famous poster

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

loose cannon wrote:
Tonka, I have a computer guru coming over tomorrow morning to try and fire up my computer.
Went to Fry's today and kinda chewed the guy out when he started laughing about my problem. I had to remind him that I did buy it off them originally. It's only a few years old and has always worked fine for me.
It's just really disappointing that I may have to shell out a few hundred dollars because someone hacked my system.
You- you probably have a placard to park IN the stores!

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
I think the question is whether the parking placards should be confined to people who have mobility limitations or whether they should also be available to people with exertional limitations.
Its fine to discuss what you think the law SHOULD be. I have no issue with conversation about how the system could be modified to reduce abuses. But seeing as right now, the law allows for people with exertional limitations to get one, it is out of line to go up to a stranger and pretty much say, "You, sir. You are not displaying what I consider to be the requisite limp to deserve a handicapped placard. You must be faking or using someone else's placard. I demand you prove to ME that you are authorized to use that spot! Disclose to me your medical reason for having that placard"

“suffers from formicophilia ”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>no shit einstein. Everything can be abused. So because its possible to abuse the system, its ok to assume anyone who does not look crippled enough for you is committing fraud and needs to be put on trial by some stranger in a parking lot?
No.

And never said otherwise.

Again, you're trying to engage me in a argument that only exists in your head.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

loose cannon wrote:
Wow, Good luck with the techguy....we really need to get one again...our guy moved to Atlanta, though we should try him....Atlanta's not what many think...lol....i get tons of cookies, and i doubt that topix is blameless.....it just gets slower and slower sometimes....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
so close yet so far for me on some of the stuff from germany.... haven't been to oktoberfest (too many people for my liking) and we haven't made it to the big castle. while we haven't made it to frankfurt for the christmas market, we have been to nurnburg (sp?) which was the first, adn the one in hte big square in munich, which is very large.
Years ago, i was at a traditional Spring Market in Munich, but have always wanted to see the Nurnburg, as that Christmas is supposed to be wonderful...what did you think? How cold was it?...lol...i am wimpy now, about cold....I loved Germany....
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
True. Edog was being a doosh and it pissedmeoff. There are only *so many* handicapped spots so if people get all butt hurt because one isn't available, they need help. I mean I don't get all pushed out of shape when I go to the grocery store and they are all taken, I just find the next closest spot.
FWIW when there are spots close enough, and it doesn't impose a severe problem for me...that is if it doesn't take 30 minutes to walk 20 feet, I will park in other than disabled because I figure there might be someone who needs it more than I do; wheelchair, van with a lift for a wheelchair, someone with crutches or a cane (I don't need a cane right now, though it is in my car just in case). Actually this is the case probably 9/10 times because I try to patronize places that aren't crazy packed with people. Not for parking reasons more for I don't like people reasons. <shrug>
That's generous of you.
Those old codgers p!ss me off when there is no spot. I only help once a year for an event and they get nasty and will yell at our student volunteers. Uncool. I don't care how old and feeble you think you are, you do not get innappropriate with teen volunteers doing what we ask. The entitlement over that dumb decal is astounding, lol.
If you bring the form to a dr the office usually puts a "sign here" tabby and it gets in the file. I'm convinced most docs just sign without even seeing what it is! They rely on staff frighteningly too much.
My mom has one and I hate it. She has disabilities but honestly--walking is the very thing she needs!!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Jumping of pellen, every place has abuses, which is why we are going bankrupt in a flash!

Get this crap: my brother was declared disabled (I don't think anyone would argue his was one of only like 3 that are auto-accepted).
My granny got about $7/month in food stamps and asked about bro--lady freaking approved it with NO proof! We used it for water and supplies, naturally, but after he passed, they kept sending them, even though I notified everyone!
We are not thieves. Mom had to drive down and tell them he was gone and stop sending them.

Now spread that disgust to the nation....gross.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Of course you do!
I have a 2TB that is in the safe, I pull it out, backup what I want and then put it back. Sucks that you cant back up the entire OS.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Not necessarily. Can unplug from one and plug into the other as needed. I have mine plugged into the desktop and shared over the home network and access it wirelessly from the lap top

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
That's generous of you.
Those old codgers p!ss me off when there is no spot. I only help once a year for an event and they get nasty and will yell at our student volunteers. Uncool. I don't care how old and feeble you think you are, you do not get innappropriate with teen volunteers doing what we ask. The entitlement over that dumb decal is astounding, lol.
If you bring the form to a dr the office usually puts a "sign here" tabby and it gets in the file. I'm convinced most docs just sign without even seeing what it is! They rely on staff frighteningly too much.
My mom has one and I hate it. She has disabilities but honestly--walking is the very thing she needs!!
Honestly a lot of people from that Great Depression/WW2 age cohort piss me off too. I completely understand what you mean by the entitlement attitude; "I am X years old so I can act any way/do anything/say anything I want to." Yeah no, getting old doesn't equal reverting to being 2 years old. If it *does* then I as an adult get to make decisions for you. Make up your mind then; you are either an adult with all that entails including politeness, or you are a 2 year old and you defer to me to make choices for you...

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't know how it works in FL, but here you don't just give it to the staff.

When I lived in Las Vegas almost every old person had one. I referred to it as "old peoples' parking" because like you I was convinced that the doctors there just signed if someone was past a certain age.

Granted pretty much everyone post age 60 has physical issues of some type...just part of the aging process, but not everyone that age is going to have a need for a placard.

Unfortunately I think in some areas with a high concentration of an aging population it almost is automatic for the doctors to just sign it because they can easily justify a medical reason for almost everyone over 60.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Of course you do!
I have a 2TB that is in the safe, I pull it out, backup what I want and then put it back. Sucks that you cant back up the entire OS.
<quoted text>
???
You most certainly can. Just need software designed to do it. Acronis true image will clone the entire disk

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how it works in FL, but here you don't just give it to the staff.
When I lived in Las Vegas almost every old person had one. I referred to it as "old peoples' parking" because like you I was convinced that the doctors there just signed if someone was past a certain age.
Granted pretty much everyone post age 60 has physical issues of some type...just part of the aging process, but not everyone that age is going to have a need for a placard.
Unfortunately I think in some areas with a high concentration of an aging population it almost is automatic for the doctors to just sign it because they can easily justify a medical reason for almost everyone over 60.
Over 60? Come on....I'm way past that and even though you're generalizing you would be more accurate for over 75.
I know I can't get one (never asked) for just having a pinched nerve in my foot that is painful. There is a shot for that. I guess I'm fortunate that I don't need it.
I see so much abuse here at the grocery store it makes me crazy. Young kids getting out of a car with a placard, but I would never accost them re this. The odds are that they don't need it and they're driving grandma's car.

Even my friend whose knees are really bad got one good for only a few months.
more things change

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
Jumping of pellen, every place has abuses, which is why we are going bankrupt in a flash!
Get this crap: my brother was declared disabled (I don't think anyone would argue his was one of only like 3 that are auto-accepted).
My granny got about $7/month in food stamps and asked about bro--lady freaking approved it with NO proof! We used it for water and supplies, naturally, but after he passed, they kept sending them, even though I notified everyone!
We are not thieves. Mom had to drive down and tell them he was gone and stop sending them.
Now spread that disgust to the nation....gross.
Even worse, they give far more to able-bodied corporations, billions and billions more! I fail to see how granny getting $7 a month is breaking the country. Maybe your college educated, christian self can explain that in greater detail? For extra credit, enlighten as to why Exxon and other mega-billion dollar corporations DO deserve welfare (OK- "tax breaks"). BTW, every dollar they take from poor and hungry children, where do you think that money will go? It's not earmarked for infrastructure or even the military. What could possibly be more important that assisting poor Americans?

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

How did the hairstylist win the race?

She took a short cut!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,041 - 90,060 of96,262
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

92 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Jesus Christ 1,036,600
Amy 4-19 15 min boundary painter 15
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min litesong 43,149
word in common game (Aug '13) 21 min boundary painter 21
Abby 4-23 27 min Mister Tonka 25
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 30 min KiMare 47,170
Abby 4-22 31 min Mister Tonka 38
Amy 4-23 2 hr edogxxx 38
ask amy 4-22 4 hr Sublime1 69
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE