Comments
89,921 - 89,940 of 97,932 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91294 Sep 13, 2013
Hey, chicagoans (and others), check out this City of Chicago thing from passiveaggressivenotes.com .:)

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2013/09...

Location hidden

#91295 Sep 13, 2013
Hilarious FB post from Lamebook:

Last night after I thought all of the trick or treaters were gone, a boy about 12 years old came to my house. He was dressed all in red. Instead of saying "trick or treat," he said, "I'm your period, sorry I'm late."

He got the rest of my candy, and he restored all of my faith in his generation.

Location hidden

#91297 Sep 13, 2013
My friend Len bikes to work all year long, here in the Twin Cities. The only times he drives is when it's pouring rain. He had this tosay:

In Idaho, a state not known for whacky liberal ideas, the law allows bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs. You must slow, check for traffic, and if there is no traffic you may proceed without stopping.

There is a movement for other municipalities and states to adopt this law, and it is how I ride in Minneapolis.

The rational is pretty obvious. Why do we make cars stop at stop signs even when there's no one else coming? Because cars can be quite dangerous. 3000 pounds moving at 30mph packs quite a punch, so if a drive makes a mistake and hits a pedestrian, cyclist, or other car the results can be quite severe.

But on my bike with a total weight of 200 pounds and traveling at 15mph I have only 1/30th the energy of the car, so if I make a mistake the results are much less severe. In addition, I'm less likely to make a mistake because I'm traveling slower and have better visibility, as well as audible clues to traffic.

One final note on the crazy anti-bike community: Why do you never hear them complain about pedestrians? I pay attention, and I assure you that pedestrians are much more scofflaw when it comes to crossing in the middle of blocks and crossing against lights. But no one ever goes on rants about pedestrians.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91298 Sep 13, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My friend Len bikes to work all year long, here in the Twin Cities. The only times he drives is when it's pouring rain. He had this tosay:
In Idaho, a state not known for whacky liberal ideas, the law allows bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs. You must slow, check for traffic, and if there is no traffic you may proceed without stopping.
There is a movement for other municipalities and states to adopt this law, and it is how I ride in Minneapolis.
The rational is pretty obvious. Why do we make cars stop at stop signs even when there's no one else coming? Because cars can be quite dangerous. 3000 pounds moving at 30mph packs quite a punch, so if a drive makes a mistake and hits a pedestrian, cyclist, or other car the results can be quite severe.
But on my bike with a total weight of 200 pounds and traveling at 15mph I have only 1/30th the energy of the car, so if I make a mistake the results are much less severe. In addition, I'm less likely to make a mistake because I'm traveling slower and have better visibility, as well as audible clues to traffic.
One final note on the crazy anti-bike community: Why do you never hear them complain about pedestrians? I pay attention, and I assure you that pedestrians are much more scofflaw when it comes to crossing in the middle of blocks and crossing against lights. But no one ever goes on rants about pedestrians.
In defense of pedestrians (and we have tons of jaywalkers here), MOST of them in my area are on a sidewalk, not in the middle of the road (except for aforementioned jaywalkers, of course)!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91299 Sep 13, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, chicagoans (and others), check out this City of Chicago thing from passiveaggressivenotes.com .:)
PERFECT Friday afternoon reading!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#91300 Sep 13, 2013
So at a 4 way stop, and the guy on the right (in a car) has the right of way enters the intersection, then a dillhole on a bike in an adjecent lane slows and then goes into the intersection, whose fault is it when he becomes road kill?

Stupid asinine rule.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#91301 Sep 13, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Right.Ask that person in SF who was hit and killed by a cyclist.It was in the news a few weeks back.The cyclist got jail time

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#91302 Sep 13, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! One of those is for an american girl doll.
This is what I was pondering. It also comes in chamagne, which is close enough to gold for me. And in my price range!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWAVSHG/ref=wl_it...
Try the place on Dempster just east of Chicago.My girls got some lovely party and Easter drrssrs there

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#91303 Sep 13, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I assume you know it is a fake

Location hidden

#91304 Sep 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
So at a 4 way stop, and the guy on the right (in a car) has the right of way enters the intersection, then a dillhole on a bike in an adjecent lane slows and then goes into the intersection, whose fault is it when he becomes road kill?
Stupid asinine rule.
<quoted text>
The biker would yield to the car, just like a car would.

and of course i know it's fake, PE.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#91305 Sep 13, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Try the place on Dempster just east of Chicago.My girls got some lovely party and Easter drrssrs there
Thanks PE! I forgot about that place.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91306 Sep 13, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Try the place on Dempster just east of Chicago.My girls got some lovely party and Easter drrssrs there
When I first saw this, I thought it said "dumpster"

Evanston IL

#91307 Sep 13, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first saw this, I thought it said "dumpster"
Ha!

Location hidden

#91308 Sep 13, 2013
I have cut back significantly on my drinking in the last 2-3 weeks. Not on purpose, it just sort of happened. So last night I pour myself two weak cocktails (I had just enough rum left for either one killer drink, or two tolerable drinks, since I don't like strong drinks), and I feel "off" today. Weird.

Evanston IL

#91309 Sep 13, 2013
Hey Regs! We're approaching 90,000 posts.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91311 Sep 13, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I assume you know it is a fake
Fake or not, it's pretty entertaining.

Do you mean fake as in the letter isn't reallly Rahm? I know we all know that.

Or fake as in no one really did up a fake letter and posted it up there?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91312 Sep 13, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Hey Regs! We're approaching 90,000 posts.
Who would have thought that a group of people would have THAT much to say to total strangers?
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#91313 Sep 13, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, I don't care if you are right or wrong in your assumption, I don't take kindly to strangers with no authority questioning me as if I owe them any sort of answer. HAve a problem with something I might be doing? Call a cop. Call a security guard. Call someone who might actually have some authority. Otherwise, zip it and move along.
I don't take kindly to people abusing a system.
So, you are entitled to your opinion and I will keep mine.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91314 Sep 13, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Just for the record, I agree with you, baby. We have a civil duty to speak out against an injustice if it happens in front of us, not just call the cops like some kindergartener running to teacher because Tommy pulled her pigtails. Besides, think the cops are gonna bother dispatching a swat team to write that lady a ticket? Not likely.

If you see someone kicking a three-legged puppy, you gonna just stand there and call a cop? Or are you gonna put a stop to it?

Just a few weeks ago a car pulled up in front of my house, dude got out and started taking a leak right there in the street! Think I ran to the phone and called the cops? No. I ran out my front door and told him to take his limp noodle elsewhere, my yard ain't his urinal!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91315 Sep 13, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
But in your example, you had no idea if she was abusing the system and therefore had to ask a completely out of line question to a total stranger on a guess that could have been wrong and you probably would have been offended if she told you to gfy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dale 177,371
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min woodtick57 1,100,157
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Brian_G 46,310
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 68,367
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 68,977
Review: Anthony D S Grill (Jan '14) 2 hr peter osterman 7
Abby 8-29 2 hr Julie 10
Amy 8-29 5 hr Kuuipo 13
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search