Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

So Dickie tells me that we're supposed to wear certain colors for this traditional Laotian wedding we're going to in a few weeks. Purple, burgundy or gold.

Luckily I have a burgundy dress, so I'm covered but my kids are not. I spent some time looking for a wedding-appropriate dress in one of these colors and it is HARD. A lot of dressy dresses make the girls look like they belong in a satiny bordello. Or they're beautiful but cost way too much for me to be spending on a dress for one wedding.

I think I found it (same dress comes in gold and eggplant) but now I have to get their approval. I know they're going to want the ones that belong in a bordello, however. Not looking forward to that battle...

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

squishymama wrote:
So Dickie tells me that we're supposed to wear certain colors for this traditional Laotian wedding we're going to in a few weeks. Purple, burgundy or gold.
Luckily I have a burgundy dress, so I'm covered but my kids are not. I spent some time looking for a wedding-appropriate dress in one of these colors and it is HARD. A lot of dressy dresses make the girls look like they belong in a satiny bordello. Or they're beautiful but cost way too much for me to be spending on a dress for one wedding.
I think I found it (same dress comes in gold and eggplant) but now I have to get their approval. I know they're going to want the ones that belong in a bordello, however. Not looking forward to that battle...
You can also probably look an e-bay for girls' christmas dresses and find something nice/cheap in burgundy.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Here's some options: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Don't show them the bordello ones.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's some options: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc...
Ha! One of those is for an american girl doll.

This is what I was pondering. It also comes in chamagne, which is close enough to gold for me. And in my price range!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWAVSHG/ref=wl_it...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what I was pondering. It also comes in chamagne, which is close enough to gold for me. And in my price range!
That's adorable! I'd go with that one.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
What could you have done anyway?
Maybe it was just stunned, and it would be okay, and I'd magically not be allergic to it and we'd live happily ever after.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hey, chicagoans (and others), check out this City of Chicago thing from passiveaggressivenotes.com .:)

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2013/09...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hilarious FB post from Lamebook:

Last night after I thought all of the trick or treaters were gone, a boy about 12 years old came to my house. He was dressed all in red. Instead of saying "trick or treat," he said, "I'm your period, sorry I'm late."

He got the rest of my candy, and he restored all of my faith in his generation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

My friend Len bikes to work all year long, here in the Twin Cities. The only times he drives is when it's pouring rain. He had this tosay:

In Idaho, a state not known for whacky liberal ideas, the law allows bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs. You must slow, check for traffic, and if there is no traffic you may proceed without stopping.

There is a movement for other municipalities and states to adopt this law, and it is how I ride in Minneapolis.

The rational is pretty obvious. Why do we make cars stop at stop signs even when there's no one else coming? Because cars can be quite dangerous. 3000 pounds moving at 30mph packs quite a punch, so if a drive makes a mistake and hits a pedestrian, cyclist, or other car the results can be quite severe.

But on my bike with a total weight of 200 pounds and traveling at 15mph I have only 1/30th the energy of the car, so if I make a mistake the results are much less severe. In addition, I'm less likely to make a mistake because I'm traveling slower and have better visibility, as well as audible clues to traffic.

One final note on the crazy anti-bike community: Why do you never hear them complain about pedestrians? I pay attention, and I assure you that pedestrians are much more scofflaw when it comes to crossing in the middle of blocks and crossing against lights. But no one ever goes on rants about pedestrians.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My friend Len bikes to work all year long, here in the Twin Cities. The only times he drives is when it's pouring rain. He had this tosay:
In Idaho, a state not known for whacky liberal ideas, the law allows bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs. You must slow, check for traffic, and if there is no traffic you may proceed without stopping.
There is a movement for other municipalities and states to adopt this law, and it is how I ride in Minneapolis.
The rational is pretty obvious. Why do we make cars stop at stop signs even when there's no one else coming? Because cars can be quite dangerous. 3000 pounds moving at 30mph packs quite a punch, so if a drive makes a mistake and hits a pedestrian, cyclist, or other car the results can be quite severe.
But on my bike with a total weight of 200 pounds and traveling at 15mph I have only 1/30th the energy of the car, so if I make a mistake the results are much less severe. In addition, I'm less likely to make a mistake because I'm traveling slower and have better visibility, as well as audible clues to traffic.
One final note on the crazy anti-bike community: Why do you never hear them complain about pedestrians? I pay attention, and I assure you that pedestrians are much more scofflaw when it comes to crossing in the middle of blocks and crossing against lights. But no one ever goes on rants about pedestrians.
In defense of pedestrians (and we have tons of jaywalkers here), MOST of them in my area are on a sidewalk, not in the middle of the road (except for aforementioned jaywalkers, of course)!

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, chicagoans (and others), check out this City of Chicago thing from passiveaggressivenotes.com .:)
PERFECT Friday afternoon reading!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

So at a 4 way stop, and the guy on the right (in a car) has the right of way enters the intersection, then a dillhole on a bike in an adjecent lane slows and then goes into the intersection, whose fault is it when he becomes road kill?

Stupid asinine rule.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Right.Ask that person in SF who was hit and killed by a cyclist.It was in the news a few weeks back.The cyclist got jail time

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Try the place on Dempster just east of Chicago.My girls got some lovely party and Easter drrssrs there

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I assume you know it is a fake

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RACE wrote:
So at a 4 way stop, and the guy on the right (in a car) has the right of way enters the intersection, then a dillhole on a bike in an adjecent lane slows and then goes into the intersection, whose fault is it when he becomes road kill?
Stupid asinine rule.
<quoted text>
The biker would yield to the car, just like a car would.

and of course i know it's fake, PE.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Try the place on Dempster just east of Chicago.My girls got some lovely party and Easter drrssrs there
Thanks PE! I forgot about that place.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Try the place on Dempster just east of Chicago.My girls got some lovely party and Easter drrssrs there
When I first saw this, I thought it said "dumpster"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

92 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
1 dead 7 injured in Chicago shootings on Tuesday 6 min reality is a crutch 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Grey Ghost 1,084,007
Chicago Is In An Economic Lull 8 min reality is a crutch 1
Abby 7-31 10 min Cass 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min Brian_G 45,903
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 22 min Eric 68,445
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min LRS 175,151
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE