Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>If they were your co workers they are probably skilled had jobs and spoke enough English and were here on the visa for targeted skill workers. The same process may not hold true for everyone
This is the USCIS link. It does not look like you can do it in under 5 years unless you were a permanent (immigration resident) first. I strongly suspect that you and the dog and Mimi may be talking about different aspects of the process.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuit...
Permanent resident inside the US for years. Also married to an American citizen (can do it in 3 years if married to a citizen btw) only out of the country for 3 consecutive months during that time. Legal permanent resident with the permanent (which is only 10 years...IDK why they call it that) green card.

And, not for nothing, but just now, in between this post and my last one just got an email. Test date in October. So yeah I was right. That took actually less than a week. Really less than that since we emailed the last thing we needed to send yesterday.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

I like that when my two coworkers got their citizenship, our company celebrated with cake and ice cream, put notices up on our big TV screen, etc. I like that they made a big deal of it. It WAS a big deal! However, each year when the big swearing-in ceremony is covered in the newspaper, the racist, xenophobic comments are outrageous.

Heck, a local prominent DJ is British and he became a citizen in the last couple of years, and people even attacked HIM in the newspaper for "taking American jobs."

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I like that when my two coworkers got their citizenship, our company celebrated with cake and ice cream, put notices up on our big TV screen, etc. I like that they made a big deal of it. It WAS a big deal! However, each year when the big swearing-in ceremony is covered in the newspaper, the racist, xenophobic comments are outrageous.
Heck, a local prominent DJ is British and he became a citizen in the last couple of years, and people even attacked HIM in the newspaper for "taking American jobs."
People need others to blame for not having the tenacity and the smarts to go out and find a job for themselves.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It's a huge deal. America is so racist and so xenophobic it's unreal, considering our origins and all. I suppose unless one is a white anglo-saxon male protestant, they are really in the way and should probably just leave the country...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oh, god. People are d1cks like that around here, especially towards the Indian population. Yeah, how dare they come here legally, work, pay taxes, attain citizenship, and raise their families.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

I've met enough first and second generation immigrants. They all are way more "rah rah America is number 1!" than anyone else I know. They frickin' LOVE AMERICA.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to go back and look for the post, so 'sup with teh SIL? Is she thinking about coming back to live with you guys or so she sucking it up?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

We have some Syrian guys working here. Where I work they went out of their way to give them jobs before the Syrian crisis was as big as it is now.(Read: Before it was fashionable.)

They are the sweetest, hardest working guys.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to go back and look for the post, so 'sup with teh SIL? Is she thinking about coming back to live with you guys or so she sucking it up?
She'd better suck it up. Coming back to live with us is not an option. It's just drama, drama, drama all the time. Nothing's ever right and it's never her fault.

I *did* just find out she's got a job interview in a couple days, as a reading tutor for some grade school kids. Maybe it'll give her some perspective on her juvenile behavior.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THey played "Twist of Fate" two weeks ago on Random Vinyl (6:30 weekday mornings, they grab an album out of their own private collections and play something -- usually really good, old stuff).
And the DJs bashed the song before and after, but it was a real treat to hear that song again. I admit: I (heart) Olivia NJ.
Me, too!!!

And I don't remember the chair in It's a Wonderful Life, but I can't remember the last time I saw that movie!

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

I think it took my SIL like 8 years to become a citizen, but that was like 20 years ago or something, so times could have been different. And she was married to my brother and had 2 kids.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
She'd better suck it up. Coming back to live with us is not an option. It's just drama, drama, drama all the time. Nothing's ever right and it's never her fault.
I *did* just find out she's got a job interview in a couple days, as a reading tutor for some grade school kids. Maybe it'll give her some perspective on her juvenile behavior.
The job thing is good. Stick to your guns about her not coming back and kep up the counseling. You so need that right now. It's like you guys are refugees or something.

I hate the "it's not my fault" crowd. Even if it isn't so what? Suck it up and do what you need to do. It's called being a grown up. Of course she's young, but she *is* and adult and like most people her age I'm sure she's not shy about saying she's one, so go for it,*be* an adult.

Of course I'm kind of a bitch, so YMMV. ;-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

My friends tried a new discipline technique for toddlers they'd read about (and bought the book this weekend). It's working so well, their day care provider borrowed the book, is on chapter 5 (short, easy read). Day care lady just texted my friend to tell her that the 3yo (the one they'd been using the book on) reported that SHE used the technique to get her little sister to stop putting sand on her and it worked.

I love that. YOu parents will like this bit from my friend:

One of my favorite scenarios that the author writes about is "What do you do if they won't come out of their room?". He says "Take a break, enjoy the quiet, drink a cup of coffee, read a book"

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My friends tried a new discipline technique for toddlers they'd read about (and bought the book this weekend). It's working so well, their day care provider borrowed the book, is on chapter 5 (short, easy read). Day care lady just texted my friend to tell her that the 3yo (the one they'd been using the book on) reported that SHE used the technique to get her little sister to stop putting sand on her and it worked.
I love that. YOu parents will like this bit from my friend:
One of my favorite scenarios that the author writes about is "What do you do if they won't come out of their room?". He says "Take a break, enjoy the quiet, drink a cup of coffee, read a book"
Is it the Vulcan death grip? Because that would be cool.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or she'll get in an argument with a 8 year old and wonder why the parents get all upset.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it the Vulcan death grip? Because that would be cool.
I'm needing something more along the lines of a freeze ray that I can shoot out of my eyes. Nothing permanent; just stop them from doing the naughty thing they've been warned about not doing at least 10 times.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
It's a huge deal. America is so racist and so xenophobic it's unreal
Yes. America. The epitome of racism and xenophobia....
Mimi Seattle wrote:
I suppose unless one is a white anglo-saxon male protestant, they are really in the way and should probably just leave the country...
Isn't that the way most of "you" people think of white anglo-saxon male protestants?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
But edog called "bullshit" on Mimi and said it would take years for the friend to get his citizenship. And he was wrong.
Turns out I was right once again and you were wrong. He's been in the country for at least a decade, he's been trying for his citizenship for the last three years.

Now who has zero credibility?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

Check this short story out in my local paper (no registration required):

http://www.twincities.com/breakingnews/ci_240...

Nutshell: When google was driving around taking pictures for its "street view" option in its map feature, it also was using the airwaves to pull people's wifi and internet passwords and other encrypted info!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Turns out I was right once again and you were wrong. He's been in the country for at least a decade, he's been trying for his citizenship for the last three years.
Now who has zero credibility?
All sorts of people have been in this country. Does he have residency? If so, how long? Has he gone out of the country? If so, how many times and for what length?

Those things matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

85 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min SpaceBlues 45,879
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Jacques from Ottawa 175,090
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 12 min Terry rigsby 48,991
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min forks_make_us_fat 1,083,412
Amy 7-30 22 min Toj 18
Abby 7-30 33 min Kuuipo 9
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 49 min ohoh 3,844
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search