Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Judged:

Running out of peeps to blame is very stressful.
Matilda77 wrote:
Oh, and, AND, she claims she's having panic attacks daily now. I realize those are real, yadda yadda, but given the source, I think she's full of shyte.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My two coworkers (one is Hmong, the other is Russian) had an easy, fast time of becoming citizens. Just a few months. Not a big deal.
I'd say MImi has 10 times the credibility you do, but you have zero credibility and 0 x 10 = zero. So she has lots of credibility, and you have none.
If they were your co workers they are probably skilled had jobs and spoke enough English and were here on the visa for targeted skill workers. The same process may not hold true for everyone

This is the USCIS link. It does not look like you can do it in under 5 years unless you were a permanent (immigration resident) first. I strongly suspect that you and the dog and Mimi may be talking about different aspects of the process.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuit...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Oh, and, AND, she claims she's having panic attacks daily now. I realize those are real, yadda yadda, but given the source, I think she's full of shyte.
Where is the fiance in all this?
Mama Pelly here:don't rescue her. Let her figure out how to do that for herself. Hard advice.

I am glad you've gone back to therapy.The advice you get here is worth just a tad more than the paper it is written on.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Yes, of course getting citizenship varies based on ... variables. But edog called "bullshit" on Mimi and said it would take years for the friend to get his citizenship. And he was wrong.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Okay, folks, latest itunes downloads/purchases:

The Shangri-Las "Mr. Sandman" and "Walking in the Sand" (i should have gotten a different group's cover of "Mr. Sandman"

Neko Case - her latest album "The worse things get, the harder I fight, the harder I fight, the more I love you"

And... ready '80s babies?

Olivia Newton-JOhn's "Twist of Fate" (from the same movie with JOhn Travolta) and "Suddenly," her duet with Cliff RIchards. ;)

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Remember my awesome CEO, Dude?

Dude just announced his retirement...effective in two weeks. No idea who will be stepping in to his position.

Sooooooooooooo depressed, and there was no advance warning. Hope this is a good thing for him (I think it is), and I hope his replacement doesn't turn out to be a douche.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ding ding ding! I only got bits and pieces of it, but--it's not her fault she has no money and her bank is charging her for...not depositing regularly...or something.
Her roommate sucks because she has early classes and wakes SIL up, who has no classes before 11.
She blamed a prof for something and *that*, shockingly, didn't go over so hot. In reference to that situation, somebody, not sure who, might have been the prof--told her to seek counseling (spot on).
It's not her fault the food sucks on campus, even though nearly every review of the school we read ahead of time said it did. She picked the 21 meal a week plan--she can eat the crap food or go hungry.
On the plus side, J and I started counseling yesterday. Gettin' our sh1t back together even if nobody else wants to.:-D
Ab. So. Lutely. SHOCKED!!!

Glad you and J are on track, though!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Where is the fiance in all this?
Wouldn't be surprised if the clue bat makes contact with him soon, and he dumps her.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

If I were gay, I'd be chasing after Neko Case:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Where is the fiance in all this?
Mama Pelly here:don't rescue her. Let her figure out how to do that for herself. Hard advice.
I am glad you've gone back to therapy.The advice you get here is worth just a tad more than the paper it is written on.
Not sure what's up with the fiance. Hopefully, he's plotting his escape, but probably not. And no, no rescuing. And we're trying to get her mom on board with not sending her money, either. So far, I don't think she has. Last year, I'm pretty sure MIL would float SIL a $50 or a $100 every couple weeks or so.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

The two girls that SIL and her roommate share a bathroom with are an interesting pair. Sisters, I think, that have the whole Taylor Swift vibe going on. Thin, pretty, not a hair out of place, all designer bags (Vera Bradley, barf) when they were moving in. They might be very nice, but they didn't strike me as the type that would be amused at all with my SIL's general lack of bathroom cleanliness, heh.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Yes, of course getting citizenship varies based on ... variables. But edog called "bullshit" on Mimi and said it would take years for the friend to get his citizenship. And he was wrong.
Edog would call BS on Mimi or you if you said the sky was blue.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Yes, good for you, Matilda, and J, for getting counseling.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
My folks were in a ranch, so they are really going to have a hard time with the stairs. We already joked that they are going to have awesome butts.
But they're are only there about half the year anyway (they winter in AZ) so the trade-off for the stairs is not having a lawn to deal with. I think they're going to like it.
I told my parents to get one of those stair chairs!

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>We have a development, down here of one story, 3/2's...kinda California-style, with these huge enclosed patios, in groupings of four, all facing a different direction....i cruise thru there, everytime i go to that Home Depot by there....lol...tough for us, cause we have two dogs, but i love orchids and gardening, so the patio is a huge bonus.....
I had my 2 dogs in the condo. It was a pain walking them!

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Okay, folks, latest itunes downloads/purchases:
And... ready '80s babies?
Olivia Newton-JOhn's "Twist of Fate" (from the same movie with JOhn Travolta) and "Suddenly," her duet with Cliff RIchards. ;)
I forgot these two! GOing to download! Now Suddenly is in my head! I was listening to Xanadu on my iPod the other day!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
And I've known more than one person who's attempted to become a US citizen, waded through all the paperwork and thousands of dollars, and were either denied or gave up. It's not as easy as Mimi is trying to make it sound. In other words, I think she's full of it.
And I think your a fuckingidiot. I've dealt with this particular immigrant for a goddamn decade. I've been in cli=ose contact with INS about this so Ifucking know how it works. MAYBE the people you have knows weren't WORTHY of becoming US citizens according to the rules set up by INS?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I told my parents to get one of those stair chairs!
Didn't Barrymore have one of those stair chairs in "It's a Wonderful LIfe"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot these two! GOing to download! Now Suddenly is in my head! I was listening to Xanadu on my iPod the other day!
THey played "Twist of Fate" two weeks ago on Random Vinyl (6:30 weekday mornings, they grab an album out of their own private collections and play something -- usually really good, old stuff).

And the DJs bashed the song before and after, but it was a real treat to hear that song again. I admit: I (heart) Olivia NJ.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Nerd alert.

I played Xanadu for Nick last weekend -- I had a slumberparty for a birthday and we went to the movie "Xanadu". I remember Olivia played the muse "Terpischore" (Ter PIS ker-ee)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,464
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min USAsince1680 1,084,945
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 13 min ISLAMIC TERROR APOLOGETIC 68,116
Ask Amy 8-1-14 1 hr Shari23 19
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr honeymylove 486
Abby 8-1-14 1 hr Mister Tonka 10
The Lollapalooza Music Festival is War on Cultu... 2 hr Culture Auditor 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Jacques in Ottawa 175,260
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info