“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91084 Sep 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I like that when my two coworkers got their citizenship, our company celebrated with cake and ice cream, put notices up on our big TV screen, etc. I like that they made a big deal of it. It WAS a big deal! However, each year when the big swearing-in ceremony is covered in the newspaper, the racist, xenophobic comments are outrageous.
Heck, a local prominent DJ is British and he became a citizen in the last couple of years, and people even attacked HIM in the newspaper for "taking American jobs."
It's a huge deal. America is so racist and so xenophobic it's unreal, considering our origins and all. I suppose unless one is a white anglo-saxon male protestant, they are really in the way and should probably just leave the country...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91085 Sep 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I like that when my two coworkers got their citizenship, our company celebrated with cake and ice cream, put notices up on our big TV screen, etc. I like that they made a big deal of it. It WAS a big deal! However, each year when the big swearing-in ceremony is covered in the newspaper, the racist, xenophobic comments are outrageous.
Heck, a local prominent DJ is British and he became a citizen in the last couple of years, and people even attacked HIM in the newspaper for "taking American jobs."
Oh, god. People are d1cks like that around here, especially towards the Indian population. Yeah, how dare they come here legally, work, pay taxes, attain citizenship, and raise their families.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91086 Sep 10, 2013
I've met enough first and second generation immigrants. They all are way more "rah rah America is number 1!" than anyone else I know. They frickin' LOVE AMERICA.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91087 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to go back and look for the post, so 'sup with teh SIL? Is she thinking about coming back to live with you guys or so she sucking it up?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91088 Sep 10, 2013
We have some Syrian guys working here. Where I work they went out of their way to give them jobs before the Syrian crisis was as big as it is now.(Read: Before it was fashionable.)

They are the sweetest, hardest working guys.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91089 Sep 10, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to go back and look for the post, so 'sup with teh SIL? Is she thinking about coming back to live with you guys or so she sucking it up?
She'd better suck it up. Coming back to live with us is not an option. It's just drama, drama, drama all the time. Nothing's ever right and it's never her fault.

I *did* just find out she's got a job interview in a couple days, as a reading tutor for some grade school kids. Maybe it'll give her some perspective on her juvenile behavior.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91090 Sep 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THey played "Twist of Fate" two weeks ago on Random Vinyl (6:30 weekday mornings, they grab an album out of their own private collections and play something -- usually really good, old stuff).
And the DJs bashed the song before and after, but it was a real treat to hear that song again. I admit: I (heart) Olivia NJ.
Me, too!!!

And I don't remember the chair in It's a Wonderful Life, but I can't remember the last time I saw that movie!

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91091 Sep 10, 2013
I think it took my SIL like 8 years to become a citizen, but that was like 20 years ago or something, so times could have been different. And she was married to my brother and had 2 kids.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91092 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
She'd better suck it up. Coming back to live with us is not an option. It's just drama, drama, drama all the time. Nothing's ever right and it's never her fault.
I *did* just find out she's got a job interview in a couple days, as a reading tutor for some grade school kids. Maybe it'll give her some perspective on her juvenile behavior.
The job thing is good. Stick to your guns about her not coming back and kep up the counseling. You so need that right now. It's like you guys are refugees or something.

I hate the "it's not my fault" crowd. Even if it isn't so what? Suck it up and do what you need to do. It's called being a grown up. Of course she's young, but she *is* and adult and like most people her age I'm sure she's not shy about saying she's one, so go for it,*be* an adult.

Of course I'm kind of a bitch, so YMMV. ;-)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91093 Sep 10, 2013
My friends tried a new discipline technique for toddlers they'd read about (and bought the book this weekend). It's working so well, their day care provider borrowed the book, is on chapter 5 (short, easy read). Day care lady just texted my friend to tell her that the 3yo (the one they'd been using the book on) reported that SHE used the technique to get her little sister to stop putting sand on her and it worked.

I love that. YOu parents will like this bit from my friend:

One of my favorite scenarios that the author writes about is "What do you do if they won't come out of their room?". He says "Take a break, enjoy the quiet, drink a cup of coffee, read a book"

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91094 Sep 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My friends tried a new discipline technique for toddlers they'd read about (and bought the book this weekend). It's working so well, their day care provider borrowed the book, is on chapter 5 (short, easy read). Day care lady just texted my friend to tell her that the 3yo (the one they'd been using the book on) reported that SHE used the technique to get her little sister to stop putting sand on her and it worked.
I love that. YOu parents will like this bit from my friend:
One of my favorite scenarios that the author writes about is "What do you do if they won't come out of their room?". He says "Take a break, enjoy the quiet, drink a cup of coffee, read a book"
Is it the Vulcan death grip? Because that would be cool.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91095 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
She'd better suck it up. Coming back to live with us is not an option. It's just drama, drama, drama all the time. Nothing's ever right and it's never her fault.
I *did* just find out she's got a job interview in a couple days, as a reading tutor for some grade school kids. Maybe it'll give her some perspective on her juvenile behavior.
Or she'll get in an argument with a 8 year old and wonder why the parents get all upset.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#91096 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it the Vulcan death grip? Because that would be cool.
I'm needing something more along the lines of a freeze ray that I can shoot out of my eyes. Nothing permanent; just stop them from doing the naughty thing they've been warned about not doing at least 10 times.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91097 Sep 10, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
It's a huge deal. America is so racist and so xenophobic it's unreal
Yes. America. The epitome of racism and xenophobia....
Mimi Seattle wrote:
I suppose unless one is a white anglo-saxon male protestant, they are really in the way and should probably just leave the country...
Isn't that the way most of "you" people think of white anglo-saxon male protestants?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91098 Sep 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
But edog called "bullshit" on Mimi and said it would take years for the friend to get his citizenship. And he was wrong.
Turns out I was right once again and you were wrong. He's been in the country for at least a decade, he's been trying for his citizenship for the last three years.

Now who has zero credibility?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91099 Sep 10, 2013
Check this short story out in my local paper (no registration required):

http://www.twincities.com/breakingnews/ci_240...

Nutshell: When google was driving around taking pictures for its "street view" option in its map feature, it also was using the airwaves to pull people's wifi and internet passwords and other encrypted info!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91100 Sep 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Turns out I was right once again and you were wrong. He's been in the country for at least a decade, he's been trying for his citizenship for the last three years.
Now who has zero credibility?
All sorts of people have been in this country. Does he have residency? If so, how long? Has he gone out of the country? If so, how many times and for what length?

Those things matter.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91101 Sep 10, 2013
Toj wrote:
All sorts of people have been in this country. Does he have residency? If so, how long? Has he gone out of the country? If so, how many times and for what length?
Those things matter.
What is your point? Tell us something we don't know. This has no bearing or relevance to the discussion. Mimi was trying to throw it in my face that some immigrant is gonna come over here, gain citizenship, and vote Democrat. She intentionally left out some very important details. THAT is what I was calling her out on.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#91102 Sep 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your point? Tell us something we don't know. This has no bearing or relevance to the discussion. Mimi was trying to throw it in my face that some immigrant is gonna come over here, gain citizenship, and vote Democrat. She intentionally left out some very important details. THAT is what I was calling her out on.
all she eaid is that she was helping him. YOU made the assumption that this was the start of the process. She did not intentionally leave anything out.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91103 Sep 10, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I'm needing something more along the lines of a freeze ray that I can shoot out of my eyes. Nothing permanent; just stop them from doing the naughty thing they've been warned about not doing at least 10 times.
My dad had that. The glare of death. Usually in the rear view mirror of the car. Stopped me cold and probably would still today. My sister was immune to it, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min USAsince1680 1,231,871
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Scrutiny 189,591
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 27 min Doug77 5,988
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr Red_Forman 894
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr Red_Forman 5,236
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 53,451
Ill have those negras voting Democratic for t... 3 hr WillNAZIsDelete 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]