Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91014 Sep 9, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
In other news, I just committed what little free time I have to the local democratic party *and* the grass roots "go and vote" movement on campus in order to help insure that in 2014 and 2016 we fill both houses and the oval office with strong Democrats.
Also in about an our I am accompanying an immigrant Muslim to go test for American citizenship ensuring that he will be able to vote as well.
:D :D :D :D :D
::waits for heads to explode::
Bless ya, Mimi.....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91015 Sep 9, 2013
FWIW, I got this from a U.S. Senator: Contact your elected officials by mail or by phone -- those are taken seriously. Emails typically are not, because they require less effort than the other two forms, and people are more likely to do them as a knee-jerk reaction to something they just read online. And way too many are form emails you get from a website about the issue you're dealing with.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#91016 Sep 9, 2013
I got a survey from mine about syria, I chose "nuke the bastards"
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
FWIW, I got this from a U.S. Senator: Contact your elected officials by mail or by phone -- those are taken seriously. Emails typically are not, because they require less effort than the other two forms, and people are more likely to do them as a knee-jerk reaction to something they just read online. And way too many are form emails you get from a website about the issue you're dealing with.

Location hidden

#91017 Sep 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
I got a survey from mine about syria, I chose "nuke the bastards"
<quoted text>
Alway's thought, everything that made America the greatest, was that they were big enough, to help the helpless when possible....this one is kinda simple, it's all ordinance....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#91018 Sep 9, 2013
The opportunity to help the helpless was 100,000 people ago, not the last 1500.
Now its just a SNAFU.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Alway's thought, everything that made America the greatest, was that they were big enough, to help the helpless when possible....this one is kinda simple, it's all ordinance....

Location hidden

#91019 Sep 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Alway's thought, everything that made America the greatest, was that they were big enough, to help the helpless when possible....this one is kinda simple, it's all ordinance....
Do you mean ordnance?

Location hidden

#91020 Sep 9, 2013
I don't think we should intervene in Syria. but I do think we should provide as much humanitarian aid for the refugees. over 100,000 Syrians are now in a tent city across the border in Jordan, in the middle of the desert.

Location hidden

#91021 Sep 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean ordnance?
Yeah, sorry....bombs and missiles...zero troops on the ground....spooks allowed...lol...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91022 Sep 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, sorry....bombs and missiles...zero troops on the ground....spooks allowed...lol...
Yeah, just like those advisers that Kennedy sent into Vietnam in the early 60's.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91023 Sep 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! Good luck with that! Let me know how that works out for ya!
And bad news for your Muslim friend, it takes YEARS for citizenship to go through, assuming he'll be granted one. Don't think he'll be voting in any elections anytime soon.
I know that you know EVERYFUCKINGTHING but the citizenship thing will take 3 months. The day he takes the test he will get sworn in. I know because I checked with the people who do this all the time, just today. I specifically asked that question. So yeah he'll be voting democrat in 2014 and 2016...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#91024 Sep 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you sent emails or FB posts to your Congressman and Senators stating your opinion on Syria? Whatever that opinion may be.
Present tense activism goes hand in hand with future voters.
I also called all of their offices this morning.:D

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#91025 Sep 9, 2013
As to the citizenship thing, I've been intimately involved with the whole process since the first I-130 (that *I* completed all by my little lonesome) was filed. I think I know a little bit more about it than edog.

So yup even though the who thought of a MUSLIM becoming a VOTING citizen, a citizen who will vote DEMOCRAT bugs edog no end, personally I am in utter bliss about it; first because he will vote DEMOCRAT, second because he will be sponsoring his MUSLIM relatives, and third because edog can't do anything about it.:D

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#91026 Sep 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you sent emails or FB posts to your Congressman and Senators stating your opinion on Syria? Whatever that opinion may be.
Present tense activism goes hand in hand with future voters.
Just because I don't make a point of sharing my politics here doesn't mean that I'm not politically active. I know (always know) who my senators and reps are.I keep their phone numbers, physical addresses (local and in DC) as well as emails in my contacts. I contact them from time to time on certain issues. Voted in every election since I was 18. Even when I was living overseas.

Location hidden

#91027 Sep 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, just like those advisers that Kennedy sent into Vietnam in the early 60's.
Not in the least.....are you being cute?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#91028 Sep 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Not in the least.....are you being cute?
No.
Bad things happen all over the world.
It is not the US business to poke its nose in to the Syrian conflict.

As Race pointed out, I am a strong advocate for "playing nice", I also feel strongly that we can't and therefore shouldn't intervene when there is no clear obtainable goal and the risks of expanding our involvement are high.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#91029 Sep 9, 2013
I have a bad feeling. This is way too much like early 2003.

I am hoping Obama does not act on a macho impulse to show how strong we are as Bush felt the need to do so.

The arguments that w have the money to bomb Syria but not save Detroit is the old Guns vs Butter argument of the Hawks v Doves in the 60's.

Nothing ever changes. Not a damned thing.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91030 Sep 10, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#91031 Sep 10, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#91032 Sep 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
The arguments that w have the money to bomb Syria but not save Detroit is the old Guns vs Butter argument of the Hawks v Doves in the 60's.
Obama cut everyone's unemployment benefits and blamed it on the sequester. But when it comes to sending war ships and missiles into Syria, money's no issue. It's sickening.

Location hidden

#91033 Sep 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> No.
Bad things happen all over the world.
It is not the US business to poke its nose in to the Syrian conflict.
As Race pointed out, I am a strong advocate for "playing nice", I also feel strongly that we can't and therefore shouldn't intervene when there is no clear obtainable goal and the risks of expanding our involvement are high.
Technology has changed how much of the world works....but please answer this....If we knew that several days ago...we learned, Germany was gassing their own people, men, women and children...as fast as they could.....that you would be comfortable, looking the other way?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min TSM 1,126,287
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 38 min Jonah1 50,619
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 50 min JOEL 70,077
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr scirocco 47,496
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr jacques Ottawa 179,350
Car Paint, Paint and Various cosmetics products... 2 hr johnson 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Mandela 68,650
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]