Topix Chitown Regulars

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#91026 Sep 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you sent emails or FB posts to your Congressman and Senators stating your opinion on Syria? Whatever that opinion may be.
Present tense activism goes hand in hand with future voters.
Just because I don't make a point of sharing my politics here doesn't mean that I'm not politically active. I know (always know) who my senators and reps are.I keep their phone numbers, physical addresses (local and in DC) as well as emails in my contacts. I contact them from time to time on certain issues. Voted in every election since I was 18. Even when I was living overseas.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91027 Sep 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, just like those advisers that Kennedy sent into Vietnam in the early 60's.
Not in the least.....are you being cute?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#91028 Sep 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Not in the least.....are you being cute?
No.
Bad things happen all over the world.
It is not the US business to poke its nose in to the Syrian conflict.

As Race pointed out, I am a strong advocate for "playing nice", I also feel strongly that we can't and therefore shouldn't intervene when there is no clear obtainable goal and the risks of expanding our involvement are high.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#91029 Sep 9, 2013
I have a bad feeling. This is way too much like early 2003.

I am hoping Obama does not act on a macho impulse to show how strong we are as Bush felt the need to do so.

The arguments that w have the money to bomb Syria but not save Detroit is the old Guns vs Butter argument of the Hawks v Doves in the 60's.

Nothing ever changes. Not a damned thing.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#91030 Sep 10, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#91031 Sep 10, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#91032 Sep 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
The arguments that w have the money to bomb Syria but not save Detroit is the old Guns vs Butter argument of the Hawks v Doves in the 60's.
Obama cut everyone's unemployment benefits and blamed it on the sequester. But when it comes to sending war ships and missiles into Syria, money's no issue. It's sickening.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#91033 Sep 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> No.
Bad things happen all over the world.
It is not the US business to poke its nose in to the Syrian conflict.
As Race pointed out, I am a strong advocate for "playing nice", I also feel strongly that we can't and therefore shouldn't intervene when there is no clear obtainable goal and the risks of expanding our involvement are high.
Technology has changed how much of the world works....but please answer this....If we knew that several days ago...we learned, Germany was gassing their own people, men, women and children...as fast as they could.....that you would be comfortable, looking the other way?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#91034 Sep 10, 2013
God this site has gotten worse. Those stupid "Ads by ZINC" to the left that keep sliding over my screen. And now there are ads at the bottom that pop up.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#91035 Sep 10, 2013
Except turn him into a republican...
Mimi Seattle wrote:
and third because edog can't do anything about it.:D

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#91036 Sep 10, 2013
Turn off flash, works most of the time for me.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
God this site has gotten worse. Those stupid "Ads by ZINC" to the left that keep sliding over my screen. And now there are ads at the bottom that pop up.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#91037 Sep 10, 2013
And we can't afford the Blue Angels at the air and water show, but we can afford to lob missiles into Syria. Our president, and our government, is a sick and dangerous joke.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#91038 Sep 10, 2013
And I've known more than one person who's attempted to become a US citizen, waded through all the paperwork and thousands of dollars, and were either denied or gave up. It's not as easy as Mimi is trying to make it sound. In other words, I think she's full of it.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91039 Sep 10, 2013
Ermahgerrrrd, guess who is crashing and burning at her new school already? Whuuuuut? Itotallydidnotseethatcoming.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#91040 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Ermahgerrrrd, guess who is crashing and burning at her new school already? Whuuuuut? Itotallydidnotseethatcoming.
This is my shocked face

:/

Location hidden

#91041 Sep 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
And I've known more than one person who's attempted to become a US citizen, waded through all the paperwork and thousands of dollars, and were either denied or gave up. It's not as easy as Mimi is trying to make it sound. In other words, I think she's full of it.
My two coworkers (one is Hmong, the other is Russian) had an easy, fast time of becoming citizens. Just a few months. Not a big deal.

I'd say MImi has 10 times the credibility you do, but you have zero credibility and 0 x 10 = zero. So she has lots of credibility, and you have none.

Location hidden

#91042 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
WHat I see coming: This is everybody else's fault.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91043 Sep 10, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Hmmm. For some reason I thought she'd last a week or two more.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#91044 Sep 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
It depends how you're going about it, why you're going about it and who is helping you. Also depends on how you're here in the country. I imagine if you don't have the proper visa to be here in the first place, things could get dicey. Also depends on what nationality and how many of those nationalities are trying to get in. Quotas aren't just for police.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#91045 Sep 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
WHat I see coming: This is everybody else's fault.
Ding ding ding! I only got bits and pieces of it, but--it's not her fault she has no money and her bank is charging her for...not depositing regularly...or something.

Her roommate sucks because she has early classes and wakes SIL up, who has no classes before 11.

She blamed a prof for something and *that*, shockingly, didn't go over so hot. In reference to that situation, somebody, not sure who, might have been the prof--told her to seek counseling (spot on).

It's not her fault the food sucks on campus, even though nearly every review of the school we read ahead of time said it did. She picked the 21 meal a week plan--she can eat the crap food or go hungry.

On the plus side, J and I started counseling yesterday. Gettin' our sh1t back together even if nobody else wants to.:-D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,261,535
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min loose cannon 194,271
Ask Amy 7-27-15 3 hr mrs gladys kravitz 8
Dear Abby 7-27-15 3 hr mrs gladys kravitz 7
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr Ariel Sharon 70,139
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Feb '09) 6 hr Majikmon 5,191
News Weekend shooting toll in Chicago: 7 dead, 35 wo... 7 hr reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages