Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Having a kid stay late because he is disruptive now does not help the other 31 kids in the class learn anything. They deserve to learn, and the punk causing the problem needs to be dealt with now, not later.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Treating a student like you would treat an errant dog is expressing power and control and is also ridiculing.
Pointing out that they are late and need to stay after school and do extra work for the time they missed or some other form of fitting punishment to the misdeed is corrective. Humiliating someone to bend to your rules does nothing but shows someone has power. The teacher should teach.
Too many people like "getting" the person who has done wrong. When it's a kid, teach the kid -- don't humiliate them.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

I dont think the kid who forgot their homework had to wear the cone, but I may be wrong.
Matilda77 wrote:
I was the type of kid that would have "worked" on, but in the soul-crushing, totally humiliating sort of way.
I can kind of see it for the disrupting type of kid. You want attention? Now you've got attention. The quiet kid that happened to forget his/her homework? No way.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

RACE wrote:
Having a kid stay late because he is disruptive now does not help the other 31 kids in the class learn anything. They deserve to learn, and the punk causing the problem needs to be dealt with now, not later.
<quoted text>
"Joey, you know the rules. You have now interrupted the class by you being late and I will see you after class."

The late one gets dealt with, the kids get on with learning and also learn that if they don't follow the rules the teacher follow-up with the stated rules.

What more can you want? Nothing goes 100% as planned and, frankly, that in itself is a learning experience.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sherman House. Roughly where the DuBuffet sculpture is in front of The Thompson Center, down in the basement.
I was at Mr Kelly's.I was even at Chez Paree when I was probably 8 or 9. My grandfather had a club/restaurant downtown
ok, I knew Sherman House, bar in basement or ground floor, can't remember. Never got to the Chez, wish I had. Memories of the past, but good times at places like that. Had to dress up and act like sophisticated adults.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I planned on going to Tuesday Morning Sunday to get one on sale for my adult son. After his boat buying spree this year I told him he now needs a plane or helicopter. He's hard to buy for so I figured this would be a toy to mess with. I might have to rethink it.
The one in this story had rotors that were like 2 feet long. There are *much* smallers ones that are able to fly inside and the rotors will stop if they touch something. My dad got one for christmas a few years ago and it was fun.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

This guy assumes it was a dude. But it could have been Squishy.

http://screen.yahoo.com/good-samaritan-gets-s...

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
I'm not. Ridiculing kids is not teaching.
Wah wah wah, God forbid a teenager feels "humiliated."

It's people like you that's causing the pussification of America.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Holy. Shit. Kid got decapitated by his own remote controlled helicopter.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-...
Now THAT'S using your head!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The one in this story had rotors that were like 2 feet long. There are *much* smallers ones that are able to fly inside and the rotors will stop if they touch something. My dad got one for christmas a few years ago and it was fun.
yes, it's the small one. i'll get it for Christmas. thanks for the info.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
When they get that big, they aren't a toy anymore....maybe should'nt be allowed in any park, only way out in open areas....sure looks older than 19 in that photo....Glad, that at 19, i was satisfied spinning.....well.....lol....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

You are over simplifying the problem. Not that the kid is late to class, but they are an active disruption DURING class. Thats when you make them wear the cone of shame, dunce cap, sit in the corner etc.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
"Joey, you know the rules. You have now interrupted the class by you being late and I will see you after class."
The late one gets dealt with, the kids get on with learning and also learn that if they don't follow the rules the teacher follow-up with the stated rules.
What more can you want? Nothing goes 100% as planned and, frankly, that in itself is a learning experience.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
video that will have cunzel standing on her chair screaming "YES! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!"
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57600359-...
I saw that!!
Yes, it's true!
I long for the pre-tech days again.....*sigh*
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

RACE wrote:
If the guy is not making the cheese in your taco melt, its time to move along.
<quoted text>
Ick.
Hey, it's hard finding someone with critical non-negotiables. I can give it a few more weeks and see if the sparks fly after the barrier is removed...I'm not seeing another but have open options. ;)
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
That word is way overused.
Preach! Technically, in our handbook, bullying is defined as REPEATED instances....kids think if you say one mean thing it's bullying and it's not. It's just being rude.

All the anti-bullying campaigns are misguided, IMO. You rid bullies; let's focus on coping skills for the rest of the snowflakes so they can deal better.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
On dailymail it said he cut himself. His head was not removed from his body.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
You are over simplifying the problem. Not that the kid is late to class, but they are an active disruption DURING class. Thats when you make them wear the cone of shame, dunce cap, sit in the corner etc.
<quoted text>
I wish we could carry tasers...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
On dailymail it said he cut himself. His head was not removed from his body.
It lopped off the top half of his head!

Also, the founder of a local grocery store chain here in the Twin Cities died yesterday when he stepped out onto the floater parts of a pontoon airplane and the propeller chopped him up.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>When they get that big, they aren't a toy anymore....maybe should'nt be allowed in any park, only way out in open areas....sure looks older than 19 in that photo....Glad, that at 19, i was satisfied spinning.....well.....lol....
Nick read it too, and said the guy was in a certified air park.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>When they get that big, they aren't a toy anymore....maybe should'nt be allowed in any park, only way out in open areas....sure looks older than 19 in that photo....Glad, that at 19, i was satisfied spinning.....well.....lol....
I wondered about that too. My dad flies the big model airplanes and they have to a license from the FAA. They are limited to a certain area and only a set number of planes can be up in the air at the same time. The flying club was very strict about this.

But their field is on forest preserve land, which I guess could qualify as a park...

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Ah! I see my query has already been answered.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 89,561 - 89,580 of96,017
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

64 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 min JOEL COOL DUDE 64,996
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min TheIndependentMajority 1,033,782
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 min RACE 4,023
Amy 4-17 9 min RACE 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Linktv org 167,417
Abby 4-17 17 min RACE 4
World War O 45 min Washington Blog 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••