“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#90884 Sep 6, 2013
I was the type of kid that would have "worked" on, but in the soul-crushing, totally humiliating sort of way.

I can kind of see it for the disrupting type of kid. You want attention? Now you've got attention. The quiet kid that happened to forget his/her homework? No way.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90885 Sep 6, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. I understand where you are coming from but I disagree. I see it as a form of bullying.
Bullying?

Anytime someone with more power compels you to do something you don't want to do?

Nope.

This is teacher discipline, not bullying

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90886 Sep 6, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I was the type of kid that would have "worked" on, but in the soul-crushing, totally humiliating sort of way.
I can kind of see it for the disrupting type of kid. You want attention? Now you've got attention. The quiet kid that happened to forget his/her homework? No way.
I agree with your analysis

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90887 Sep 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullying?
Anytime someone with more power compels you to do something you don't want to do?
Nope.
This is teacher discipline, not bullying
We can agree to disagree. I also thinks it's a horrible way to show students how to deal with someone who disappoints you.

The following link, I believe, shows what the ideal way to handle things like this in the classroom -- upfront and have the consequencwes known ahead of time: http://www.brightonk12.com/webpages/mholowick...

But then again, it doesn't get any laughs.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#90888 Sep 6, 2013
Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox did not fix my Topix HTML problem (I didn't think it would, since I have the same problem in IE on this computer).

:(

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90889 Sep 6, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I like the distinction you made. I can agree with that.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90892 Sep 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I saw Frank Gorshen at Well of teh Sea after my junior prom. The only people laughing were me and a couple of ld drunk couples. He was so not expecting a teeny bopper crowd in 1966
He was good in Batman..my ex played him at the Empire Room. I didn't go to his show, but afterwards for some reason he sent a check to the band guys. Being young and impressed I thought how cool to go to the bank with a check signed by him a celebrity.

I remember that name...where was it?

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#90893 Sep 6, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Holy. Shit. Kid got decapitated by his own remote controlled helicopter.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-...
I planned on going to Tuesday Morning Sunday to get one on sale for my adult son. After his boat buying spree this year I told him he now needs a plane or helicopter. He's hard to buy for so I figured this would be a toy to mess with. I might have to rethink it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90894 Sep 6, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I planned on going to Tuesday Morning Sunday to get one on sale for my adult son. After his boat buying spree this year I told him he now needs a plane or helicopter. He's hard to buy for so I figured this would be a toy to mess with. I might have to rethink it.
From what I read in the article, that young man was rather an expert with those toys. His poor family. Did you read it? His sister was sobbing, saying that her older brother always protected her.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90895 Sep 6, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
He was good in Batman..my ex played him at the Empire Room. I didn't go to his show, but afterwards for some reason he sent a check to the band guys. Being young and impressed I thought how cool to go to the bank with a check signed by him a celebrity.
I remember that name...where was it?
The Sherman House. Roughly where the DuBuffet sculpture is in front of The Thompson Center, down in the basement.

I was at Mr Kelly's.I was even at Chez Paree when I was probably 8 or 9. My grandfather had a club/restaurant downtown

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#90896 Sep 6, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I read in the article, that young man was rather an expert with those toys. His poor family. Did you read it? His sister was sobbing, saying that her older brother always protected her.
I heard a promo for the story on the news. I'm not reading it. It sounds horribly sad.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90897 Sep 6, 2013
Having a kid stay late because he is disruptive now does not help the other 31 kids in the class learn anything. They deserve to learn, and the punk causing the problem needs to be dealt with now, not later.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Treating a student like you would treat an errant dog is expressing power and control and is also ridiculing.
Pointing out that they are late and need to stay after school and do extra work for the time they missed or some other form of fitting punishment to the misdeed is corrective. Humiliating someone to bend to your rules does nothing but shows someone has power. The teacher should teach.
Too many people like "getting" the person who has done wrong. When it's a kid, teach the kid -- don't humiliate them.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90898 Sep 6, 2013
I dont think the kid who forgot their homework had to wear the cone, but I may be wrong.
Matilda77 wrote:

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#90899 Sep 6, 2013
RACE wrote:
Having a kid stay late because he is disruptive now does not help the other 31 kids in the class learn anything. They deserve to learn, and the punk causing the problem needs to be dealt with now, not later.
<quoted text>
"Joey, you know the rules. You have now interrupted the class by you being late and I will see you after class."

The late one gets dealt with, the kids get on with learning and also learn that if they don't follow the rules the teacher follow-up with the stated rules.

What more can you want? Nothing goes 100% as planned and, frankly, that in itself is a learning experience.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#90900 Sep 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sherman House. Roughly where the DuBuffet sculpture is in front of The Thompson Center, down in the basement.
I was at Mr Kelly's.I was even at Chez Paree when I was probably 8 or 9. My grandfather had a club/restaurant downtown
ok, I knew Sherman House, bar in basement or ground floor, can't remember. Never got to the Chez, wish I had. Memories of the past, but good times at places like that. Had to dress up and act like sophisticated adults.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90901 Sep 6, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
The one in this story had rotors that were like 2 feet long. There are *much* smallers ones that are able to fly inside and the rotors will stop if they touch something. My dad got one for christmas a few years ago and it was fun.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90902 Sep 6, 2013
This guy assumes it was a dude. But it could have been Squishy.

http://screen.yahoo.com/good-samaritan-gets-s...

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#90903 Sep 6, 2013
Toj wrote:
I'm not. Ridiculing kids is not teaching.
Wah wah wah, God forbid a teenager feels "humiliated."

It's people like you that's causing the pussification of America.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#90904 Sep 6, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Holy. Shit. Kid got decapitated by his own remote controlled helicopter.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-...
Now THAT'S using your head!

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#90905 Sep 6, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The one in this story had rotors that were like 2 feet long. There are *much* smallers ones that are able to fly inside and the rotors will stop if they touch something. My dad got one for christmas a few years ago and it was fun.
yes, it's the small one. i'll get it for Christmas. thanks for the info.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Lily Boca Raton FL 1,110,648
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 min Your Colonoscopy 49,844
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min mdbuilder 46,687
Abby 9-19 19 min Sublime1 5
Amy 9-19 22 min Sublime1 9
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 31 min texas pete 1,472
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min loose cannon 178,065
Amy 9-18 1 hr pde 33
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE