Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

And they could have aborted one of the fetuses. COuples with multiples from fertility drugs do that all the time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Dickie and I are getting an unexpected date night tomorrow night; it seems the girls talked the MIL into a sleepover. We talked about it last night and decided to go see a movie.
Well, the movie choices currently out there are so pathetic that we've decided to go out for dinner and get a movie on-demand instead. <shakes head> I cannot believe there is NOTHING out there that we'd be willing to blow $20+ on. Simply pathetic.
THE NEW VIN DIESEL RIDDICK MOVIE IS OUT!!!!!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THE NEW VIN DIESEL RIDDICK MOVIE IS OUT!!!!!
I just read the review in the Trib and emailed it over to Dickie. We're probably some of the few folks who've actually seen "Pitch Black" (but not for Vin. We dig Claudia Black, from Farscape, so we watched it for her very brief appearance) but we were not impressed with "Riddick."

We'll see what Dickie says...

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading this, I think they should never have had Kid #1. What horrible people.
This. What self-centered, self-absorbed brats. They have to be royally dense to not know they could very well have twins. They go through all that, get what they were trying for and then complain.

I am seriously concerned about the future of those kids.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read the review in the Trib and emailed it over to Dickie. We're probably some of the few folks who've actually seen "Pitch Black" (but not for Vin. We dig Claudia Black, from Farscape, so we watched it for her very brief appearance) but we were not impressed with "Riddick."
We'll see what Dickie says...
Honestly, I loved Pitch Black, I've seen it 3-4 times. I also really liked Chronicls of Riddick ("the Chronic WHAT cles of Narnia")(have you seen that SNL short? hilarious).

So I"m looking forward to this one, but Nick and I decided we would be fine not spending $20 to see it in the theatre and could wait six months until it is available to watch on demand or via REd Box.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Tonka, it's mostly because they put so much money, time and effort toward trying to conceive, and now they're bitching about two instead of one, when that was A KNOWN RISK from day one. They sound insufferable.
This is basically what I was going to say to Tonka. It was far from an oops. They TRIED for it and paid for the treatments. Treatments that very often produce multiples. It is a common known fact.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Tonka, it's mostly because they put so much money, time and effort toward trying to conceive, and now they're bitching about two instead of one, when that was A KNOWN RISK from day one. They sound insufferable.
Getting into a car accident is a known risk when you get into a car. Does not mean I should be expected to not be upset if it happens. And it would seem to me that the money aspect should play a role on how THEY view it, not you. As in we spent so much trying to get the family we wanted and now, this curveball of an unexpected additional child is going to wreak havoc on everything we can afford.

Take me for example. With 2 children, we could afford to put them in daycare while my wife continued to work and bring home a paycheck. 3 kids? The difference in her take home vs what would go back out to daycare would make work almost a waste. So we'd now have more mouths to feed and all on one paycheck. Can't do hand me downs since twins incur simultaneous expenses. Saving for college just zoomed past what was planned. Vacations became more expensive. Any extra-curriculars activities after school shot up. Food cost. Diapers.

I think its a very depressing 'surprise' to get. I presume they will make the best of the situation just like those with one surprise baby, but it does not make them bad people to be upset that their lives just took a big detour from what they were planning.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Except the risk for multiples is greatly increased when you are getting fertility treatments. The handful of couples I know who have endured those treatments got one kid, and then stopped. They didn't risk health (there are risks) and finances to try for kid #2. They felt like they wre lucky to get one, and then quit, knowing that having another one was even more difficult, and having 2+ at once isn't something they wanted either (not with already having a kid).

So, no, they don't get to bitch about it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

TonkaLogic... Insufferable!
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Getting into a car accident is a known risk when you get into a car. Does not mean I should be expected to not be upset if it happens. And it would seem to me that the money aspect should play a role on how THEY view it, not you. As in we spent so much trying to get the family we wanted and now, this curveball of an unexpected additional child is going to wreak havoc on everything we can afford.
Take me for example. With 2 children, we could afford to put them in daycare while my wife continued to work and bring home a paycheck. 3 kids? The difference in her take home vs what would go back out to daycare would make work almost a waste. So we'd now have more mouths to feed and all on one paycheck. Can't do hand me downs since twins incur simultaneous expenses. Saving for college just zoomed past what was planned. Vacations became more expensive. Any extra-curriculars activities after school shot up. Food cost. Diapers.
I think its a very depressing 'surprise' to get. I presume they will make the best of the situation just like those with one surprise baby, but it does not make them bad people to be upset that their lives just took a big detour from what they were planning.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

One of the comments in that article is that society plays a role, in that there's a lot of pressure for people to get married, make babies (at least two). One kid? Oh no, he'll be an only, he will be spoiled and won't know how to share, etc.

It was an interesting point, not totally without validity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

(Meaning, not that onlies are spoiled rotten brats (I have never subscribed to that myth), but that couples are pushed by a lot of people to have another kid.)

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

(retracts daddy bear claws...)
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
(Meaning, not that onlies are spoiled rotten brats (I have never subscribed to that myth), but that couples are pushed by a lot of people to have another kid.)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Dickie and I are getting an unexpected date night tomorrow night; it seems the girls talked the MIL into a sleepover. We talked about it last night and decided to go see a movie.
Well, the movie choices currently out there are so pathetic that we've decided to go out for dinner and get a movie on-demand instead. <shakes head> I cannot believe there is NOTHING out there that we'd be willing to blow $20+ on. Simply pathetic.
See Blue Jasmine
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
Amy
I always love that knock on the door at 1:30 in the morning by a sobbing woman who was beaten by her boyfriend. How's everybody else's morning!?
Because you are too.nice.
Is this the same lady? Grow a pair, man!

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Listen to more RUSH.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
See Blue Jasmine

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
See Blue Jasmine
Our local movie critic raved about, Blue Jasmine...is it all that?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Our local movie critic raved about, Blue Jasmine...is it all that?
Yes. It is a Woody Allen movie with Cate Blanchett

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Except the risk for multiples is greatly increased when you are getting fertility treatments.
But it does not increase so much that a multiple pregnancy is a higher probability than a single. The probability for a single is still higher. Still the better bet if you want in on that action.

If you take gamble, any gamble in life, where your desired outcome is a low probability( playing lotto, spinning the roulette wheel), you have little to complain about. But trying to have a child? The more likely outcome is one. They are not out of line for not being happy with the less likely outcome of two. They WOULD be out of line if they let this initial unhappiness alter how they parent.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And they could have aborted one of the fetuses. COuples with multiples from fertility drugs do that all the time.
Uless I misread the article, aborting is only an option when the number of fetuses is greater than 2.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
They go through all that, get what they were trying for and then complain.
But they didn't get what they were trying for. They wanted one, not 2. You people are acting like they got an extra hamster or goldfish. An extra child is a huge life difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 89,461 - 89,480 of97,438
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min PDUPONT 1,072,428
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Rogue Scholar 05 173,646
NRA mouthpiece Wayne LaPierre quiet 1 hr joey 31
Bloomberg Calls Colorado a “Rural and Roadless”... 1 hr joey 2
Stop Blaming Chicago Police 3 hr joey 5
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Midlothian Composer 3,817
Beach Towel Racism 4 hr needs another read 30
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE