Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90789 Sep 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a thing called the Constitution, which prohibits cruel or unusual punishment. SCJs are required to uphold the law regardless of their personal beliefs.
IF the government shanked someone this would constitute cruel punishment, but personally, IMO, some folks deserve it. Folks who rape children ... those two guys in England who hacked that soldier to death with machetes ... I would not shed one tear to find out they met an violent and brutal death in prison.
Me neither. Live violently, die violently.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90790 Sep 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
If she pulls something else, what would you suggest next?(I don't disagree with your advice here.)
There was a letter the other day where the wife told the husband to tell the friend Karen to knock off the touchy feely stuff. When Karen started hanging on the husband, literally, wife stormed over and told Karen off, loudly and in front of everyone.

Here, the verbal is a warning shot. The second time, requires disclosure, but it should be immediately after receipt and it should be clear that this LW isn't having any of the GF's BS. A warning shot allows the GF to say it went to the wrong email address, it was the wrong attachment whatever.It allows her to save face.

LW should start thinking how he is going to respond if his best friend asks him to be best man at the wedding to this broad.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90791 Sep 5, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a letter the other day where the wife told the husband to tell the friend Karen to knock off the touchy feely stuff. When Karen started hanging on the husband, literally, wife stormed over and told Karen off, loudly and in front of everyone.
Here, the verbal is a warning shot. The second time, requires disclosure, but it should be immediately after receipt and it should be clear that this LW isn't having any of the GF's BS. A warning shot allows the GF to say it went to the wrong email address, it was the wrong attachment whatever.It allows her to save face.
LW should start thinking how he is going to respond if his best friend asks him to be best man at the wedding to this broad.
I haven't read the latest Prudie, but the one with Karen was nuts. The guy wanted to know if THEY should apologize to Karen!!! Wow!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90792 Sep 5, 2013
On Tonka's link, I thought it was great that the (now ex) bf posted. Gave a better perspective. I thought the gf was totally looking for a free ride. That made me mad. She'd have to pay rent somewhere and (esp after hearing from him), he wasn't askign a whole lot and wanted to put it into a general fund (and add to it, too). It's not a bad thing to expect someone to contribute. ANd, again, she'd have to pay it somewhere, and a lot more than what he was asking. In the end, it sounded like he DID want to plan for the future, but she ruined it by trying to mooch off of him. He dodged a bullet!!!

Location hidden

#90793 Sep 5, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
On Tonka's link, I thought it was great that the (now ex) bf posted. Gave a better perspective. I thought the gf was totally looking for a free ride. That made me mad. She'd have to pay rent somewhere and (esp after hearing from him), he wasn't askign a whole lot and wanted to put it into a general fund (and add to it, too). It's not a bad thing to expect someone to contribute. ANd, again, she'd have to pay it somewhere, and a lot more than what he was asking. In the end, it sounded like he DID want to plan for the future, but she ruined it by trying to mooch off of him. He dodged a bullet!!!
Thanks for the follow-up! I read a lot of comments but didn't get down that far. Most were in her favor, but a few guys were on the boyfriend's side.

I wonder if she'd have been so hyped up about moving in and having a future if he wasn't so well off.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90794 Sep 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the follow-up! I read a lot of comments but didn't get down that far. Most were in her favor, but a few guys were on the boyfriend's side.
I wonder if she'd have been so hyped up about moving in and having a future if he wasn't so well off.
Probably not but judging from her original letter he did not communicate it very well.
Money issues need to be addressed before marriage . Its easier with a roommate without romance or expectations to muddy the waters..

Location hidden

#90795 Sep 5, 2013
Seen on FB re: Castro's suicide in Cleveland:

"Some bed sheets are so economical, they can save you millions!"

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90796 Sep 5, 2013

Location hidden

#90797 Sep 5, 2013
RACE wrote:
HA!

I remember getting scotch tape across my lips in grade school when I wouldn't stop talking in class. I deserved it.

Location hidden

#90798 Sep 5, 2013
I think it's ridiculous that they may FIRE the teacher over this. All those dipstick parents have never made a mistake or lapse in judgment in their jobs? Idiots.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90799 Sep 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
LOVE it!!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90800 Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, god forbid you shame a child for engaging in bad behavior and being disruptive. Why! Thats almost like Parenting!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I think it's ridiculous that they may FIRE the teacher over this. All those dipstick parents have never made a mistake or lapse in judgment in their jobs? Idiots.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#90801 Sep 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Ha!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90802 Sep 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
HA!
I remember getting scotch tape across my lips in grade school when I wouldn't stop talking in class. I deserved it.
Ha..
When I was in kindergarten I got put in a corner for blowing in an empty Good and Plenty box. That makes a great noise! That wasn't the only humiliation I suffered from those nuns through grade school. Some deserved, some not.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#90803 Sep 5, 2013
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/09/...

Wow, there's a lot of anger in the comments...

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#90804 Sep 5, 2013
itser wrote:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_ factor/2013/09/03/couple_angry _about_expecting_twins_writes_ about_it_on_babble_commenters. html?wpisrc=obnetwork
I liked this comment:

""After TWO YEARS of fertility calendars, intrauterine inseminations, and in vitro fertilization, they are now pregnant with twins". And they never read the consent forms, or thought to themselves, "Gee, what if we have twins?"
One of the first things fertility clinics tell you is that there is a possibility of multiple births.
There should be an IQ test in those clinics."

I guess good on them for saying how they feel, anonymously, but *really*? They sound like spoiled idiots. Did they not realize that sometimes one pregnancy results in more than one baby? Especially assuming they're older and with the fertility treatments.

Location hidden

#90805 Sep 5, 2013
itser wrote:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_ factor/2013/09/03/couple_angry _about_expecting_twins_writes_ about_it_on_babble_commenters. html?wpisrc=obnetwork
I think it's justified anger. This couple never should have gone for kid #2. They spent a fortune on those infertility treatments, and now they're complaining about not being able to afford twins?

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#90806 Sep 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's justified anger. This couple never should have gone for kid #2. They spent a fortune on those infertility treatments, and now they're complaining about not being able to afford twins?
After reading this, I think they should never have had Kid #1. What horrible people.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#90807 Sep 5, 2013
I don't know.

My mother loved me. I never had any doubts about that at all. But I also knew from a pretty young age that she was upset/angry when she found out she was carrying me and that she did NOT want to be pregnant again. She had five kids and then after a long stretch she had my youngest brother. After an even longer stretch, surprise - there I was.

If it had been available back in the stone age, she may have also used the internet to vent about how overwhelmed she was feeling, and that is mostly what I got from these two. Better to do it anonymously online with a bunch of strangers than to vent to family members who may throw it back in their faces later, when they have young children hearing it in the only way they could...mommy and daddy love our big brother but they hate us.

I thought they mostly sounded overwhelmed, worried, and scared. The kids have probably been born by now. Hopefully, mom and dad have gotten their feet under them by now and are feeling differently.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#90808 Sep 5, 2013
My friend C and her husband are still having trouble wrapping their brains around pregnancy #4 (failed vasectomy, she's due in a month). They're both pretty Type A. It's not like they're hurting for money; it's more of the stress of raising 4 instead of 3. The had gotten rid of all their baby stuff, but she's super thrifty and doesn't buy much of that kind of stuff first hand anyway.

I guess, me not having kids, I'm thinking "What's the big deal?" I can see the shock of going from zero to one or even from one to two, and I get being upset right off the bat, but they've had 7 months to get used to the idea. I'm hoping they loosen up once he gets here or get psychological help.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather my family get unexpectedly bigger rather than unexpectedly smaller, which has generally been the case for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,156,414
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 12 min JOEL 71,282
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Learn to Read 182,207
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 28 min _Zoey_ 7,872
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 31 min _Zoey_ 4,925
Word (Dec '08) 33 min _Zoey_ 4,798
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min dont drink the ko... 49,375
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:45 am PST

NBC Sports 9:45AM