“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90747 Sep 4, 2013
If the victim was the one doing the brutalizing or lynching then I would call it revenge. But when the clan as a whole does it, thats justice and not semantics.
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>You have a very pretty eye but, you are in no better position to quibble semantics than that anal-retentive list-maker.
So, you don't think a lynch mob would be revenge? That prisoners brutalizing each other isn't revenge? I hate to quibble semantics- that's for sorry cheesedcks- but, is that "justice"?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90748 Sep 4, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep some candy in the night stand. Or maybe get some of those jelly packets from the restaurant and bring a few home and keep them there. Also honey is fast and easy.
Honey! Great idea.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90749 Sep 4, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Society's revenge is supposed to be putting people prison. Hoping that once certain miscreants get there that they are further brutalized by murderers and thieves is like admitting that our judicial system doesn't work. We might as well cut to the chase and go back to the lynch mobs of the old west and the south of the early 20th century.
It depends on your theory of incarceration.
Do you lock someone up to punish them
It is society's retribution?
Does society have an obligation to rehabilitate a person?
Are the services available to a guy who could get out in 40 years different than those for whom there will be no parole?
For me, personally, for crimes of violence against a person or really massive crimes that impacted lots of people, like Madoff, jail is punishment and any retribution meted out by the prison population bothers me less.
For the people who might be back in society, punishment should be balanced with rehabilitation so there is a lower chance of recidivism.

Ariel Castro stood in court and said he was not a monster. He was a monster. I agree that eh system needed to just lock him away because they struck the deal of death penalty, but , as with Dahmer, I am not sorry events intervened.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90750 Sep 4, 2013
-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all for lynch mobs when our justice system protects the criminal instead of the victim.
Due punishment is not revenge; it's supposed to be a deterrent. And there is an easy fix to criminals getting brutalized by other prisoners. Obey the law in the first place.
Have you ever read the whole Frankenstein story or the story behind the Rossini opera The Thieving Magpie or read about the crimes committed by the blacks who were lynched in the American South? Lynch mobs ignore the process of fact finding and truth. But once that part is honored, I think that merely being put in jail is no longer a deterrent or even much punishment.
A noted observer

Arlington Heights, IL

#90751 Sep 4, 2013
RACE wrote:
Hey, their your words not mine. I cherry picked nothing.
and yeah I will be part of the mob because I am not a dipsheit criminal.
<quoted text>
You are if the mob says so...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90752 Sep 4, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on your theory of incarceration.
Do you lock someone up to punish them
It is society's retribution?
Does society have an obligation to rehabilitate a person?
Are the services available to a guy who could get out in 40 years different than those for whom there will be no parole?
For me, personally, for crimes of violence against a person or really massive crimes that impacted lots of people, like Madoff, jail is punishment and any retribution meted out by the prison population bothers me less.
For the people who might be back in society, punishment should be balanced with rehabilitation so there is a lower chance of recidivism.
Ariel Castro stood in court and said he was not a monster. He was a monster. I agree that eh system needed to just lock him away because they struck the deal of death penalty, but , as with Dahmer, I am not sorry events intervened.
I worked on the Michael Milkin junk bonds litigation about 20 years ago. The woman in our office who was in charge of the case said that he deserved the death penalty as if he had committed murder, because he destroyed people's lives. Elderly people lost their life savings. 50-60 year olds lost everything. Parents with kids in college lost everything.

I can't agree with it, but I can understand her thought process there.

“Call me Walter”

Since: Nov 10

Dyersburg, TN

#90753 Sep 4, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Society's revenge is supposed to be putting people prison. Hoping that once certain miscreants get there that they are further brutalized by murderers and thieves is like admitting that our judicial system doesn't work. We might as well cut to the chase and go back to the lynch mobs of the old west and the south of the early 20th century.
Still studying spiders?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90754 Sep 4, 2013
Which is why I prefaced my remarks with "After a fair trial"
Please try to keep up, and stop standing on the semantics of "mob"
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>You are if the mob says so...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90755 Sep 4, 2013
IXSatanXI wrote:
<quoted text>
Still studying spiders?
hah! I had a suspicion myself that he was the spider dude.

“Non mollare mai”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90756 Sep 4, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>You have a very pretty eye but, you are in no better position to quibble semantics than that anal-retentive list-maker.
So, you don't think a lynch mob would be revenge? That prisoners brutalizing each other isn't revenge? I hate to quibble semantics- that's for sorry cheesedcks- but, is that "justice"?
A lynch mob would absolutely be revenge. If you or a loved one had ever been the victim of a violent crime, you would understand that desire. I was teasing you, by the way. I don't think that's the right thing to do.

And because I don't agree with your propaganda, I am in the perfect position to argue semantics. You say potato...etc. Call it whatever you want, but at the end of the day, I want dangerous criminals locked up, and what they do to each other there is of little consequence to me. The violence in prison has nothing to do with revenge and everything to do with a caste system, and levels of power. It's a complete society, with expected behaviors, and power plays.

Again...don't like jail, don't break the law.

Thanks for the compliment ;)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90757 Sep 4, 2013
Okay, I"m outta here in 10 minutes! I get to babysit two adorable, fun, nice kids tonight so their parents can go to mom's company picnic together. The 3yo is hilarious, the 18 month old hasn't stopped drooling since she was born (so gross -- I can handle a poopy diaper better than that cold, wet shirt), and the girls are hoots. And they're in bed at 7:15, so I get a couple of hours to myself.

I also get to drive through one of the worst 'hoods in the cities to get there -- North Minneapolis.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90758 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Okay, I"m outta here in 10 minutes! I get to babysit two adorable, fun, nice kids tonight so their parents can go to mom's company picnic together. The 3yo is hilarious, the 18 month old hasn't stopped drooling since she was born (so gross -- I can handle a poopy diaper better than that cold, wet shirt), and the girls are hoots. And they're in bed at 7:15, so I get a couple of hours to myself.
I also get to drive through one of the worst 'hoods in the cities to get there -- North Minneapolis.
Keep the doors locked and the gas tank filled!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90759 Sep 4, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep the doors locked and the gas tank filled!
Remember how scary that original movie was... When A Stranger Calls?......"Have you checked the children?"....and, "Jill....the calls are coming from inside the house".....Still scary....lol....remakes are almost never as good....

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90760 Sep 4, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Remember how scary that original movie was... When A Stranger Calls?......"Have you checked the children?"....and, "Jill....the calls are coming from inside the house".....Still scary....lol....remakes are almost never as good....
I rarely watch scary movies. It's not b/c they scare me. They don't. They usually fail b/c I know it's pretend.

BUT...

When I sleep my imagination takes over and I get creepy nightmares. I also don't read scary books for the same reason. Damn imagination!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90761 Sep 4, 2013
That is a shame, as getting scared is almost as good as almost wetting your pants laughing....talk about adrenalin...lol...
A noted observer

Arlington Heights, IL

#90762 Sep 4, 2013
-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
A lynch mob would absolutely be revenge. If you or a loved one had ever been the victim of a violent crime, you would understand that desire. I was teasing you, by the way. I don't think that's the right thing to do.
And because I don't agree with your propaganda, I am in the perfect position to argue semantics. You say potato...etc. Call it whatever you want, but at the end of the day, I want dangerous criminals locked up, and what they do to each other there is of little consequence to me. The violence in prison has nothing to do with revenge and everything to do with a caste system, and levels of power. It's a complete society, with expected behaviors, and power plays.
Again...don't like jail, don't break the law.
Thanks for the compliment ;)
The list-maker said the lynch mob would be justice. In fact, he agreed with you that prison *justice* would be justice rather than "revenge". Personally, why do we even have Thesauruses when a mob can decide that ONLY one word can be used?

My beef is that people are so impotent that, rather than change the justice system, they try to satiate their own sense of justice by hoping criminals in prison mete out the harsh sentence that they had desired. I'm no fan of crime. I just don't think it should be compounded by having prisoners- the dregs of society- elevated to god-like status. I think that's a cop out. Those people are murderers and thieves- not USSC justices.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#90763 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend Mindy told me to call her if it happens again, since she keeps her phone next to her bed, as her alarm clock.
But like Nick said, it's time to start having something for supper even when I"m not feeling up to eating (like last night, at the bar after softball, I just wasn't feeling hungry). As an adult, I should eat because I know I should eat.
You know you must eat, especially spending so much energy on softball. It's like driving a car without fuel--your body basically pulled to the side of the road and chunked out.

An updated bloodwork can't hurt. You know I keep my physicals up and check all out, but half a year ago I had these serious chest pains, nothing like I've ever felt. Funny stupid thing is, I refused to call 911. I knew it was not a heart attack and wouldn't pay for the ER deductible and ambulance, lol. It was hard to breath and I remember saying, "Lord if this is how you kill me, do it quicker." After a few it went away. I'm kinda convinced I might have had a tiny embolism.*shrug*

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90764 Sep 4, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
I just don't think it should be compounded by having prisoners- the dregs of society- elevated to god-like status.
You have a very skewed perspective if you equate this to elevating them to go-like status. I see it more like being happy that a pack of animals ripped one of them to shreds. I see none of them as heroes or gods.

We have laws against cruel and unusual punishment. Unfortunately, that is the most fitting kind in some cases. I have zero problem with an eye for an eye. If the legal system can't mete out the justice I crave, I have no problem taking some solace that one animal might get savaged by another inside the cage.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90765 Sep 4, 2013
You have a very skewed perspective if you equate this to elevating them to *GOD*-like status.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90766 Sep 4, 2013
Should my boyfriend charge me rent?

http://www.yelp.com/topic/los-angeles-should-...

Thoughts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min harmonious 1,111,599
Playboy offered Sarah Palin $4 Million to pose ... 43 min Larry Flint 4
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr _Zoey_ 7,786
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques from Ottawa 178,266
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr _Zoey_ 326
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr ritedownthemiddle 46,876
Abby 9-21-14 3 hr cheluzal 11
Amy 9-23-14 5 hr edogxxx 21
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••