Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90707 Sep 4, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
VERY scary! I am so glad you are ok! Next time get to the phone and call 911!!! And maybe you should get to the doctor anyway for a quick check.
My friend Mindy told me to call her if it happens again, since she keeps her phone next to her bed, as her alarm clock.

But like Nick said, it's time to start having something for supper even when I"m not feeling up to eating (like last night, at the bar after softball, I just wasn't feeling hungry). As an adult, I should eat because I know I should eat.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90708 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Googled and found a list (at a medcical site) of symptoms of low blood sugar. When I was a kid, I had to eat every couple of hours or I'd get stomach aches -- I had crazy fast metabolism and got low blood sugar very easily.
But this was far more serious. Sara's suggestion to eat a spoonful of sugar was one of several solutions that same website provided.
Also, it would help if I would get groceries. I'm out of bread. Toast would have provided the carbs I needed as well (after quick ingesting sugar for the needed spike).
Thanks for letting me ramble. Still trying to figure it all out.
I eat once a day a lot of days. If I have coffee in the morning, with sugar or creamer with sugar in the creamer, it's not uncommon for me to get a sugar low a few hours later if I've been drinking it all morning and into the afternoon.

It makes me feel very weak and light headed. Crackers, bread, sugar ... anything with starch or sugar does the trick and you don't really need that much. It' seems be be absorbed in your system really quick too.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90709 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Scary night for me.
Went to bed before 11 or so. Woke up around 1 with a bad stomach ache, like that's how hungry I was (I have not eaten much the last week or so, and last night I had a small lunch but no supper, but had a softball double header). Got up to head to the kitchen to have a granola bar, and suddenly felt like I was burning up, felt faint, and was running into the hallway wall on my way to the kitchen. I thought I might be having a stroke, and I told myself I should get my phone, but I wasn't thinking straight. Alternated between standing in the kitchen (first had to stop in the dining room to sit and rest and try to focus on being able to walk), nibbling teeny tiny bites of the granola bar and washing it down with water, and sitting on the toilet with my face over the waste can, not knowing what was going to happen. Rapid breathing, racing heart rate, SUPER hot, had a weird sense of needing to violently vomit, but that never happened. I seriously was scared. Thought "Well, the [couple i'm babysitting for tonight] can't be mad at me for bailing on them tonight if I'm dead on my floor."
AT some point, went back to bed, but lying down made me feel much worse, so I got up again and had more granola bar (by the end of everything, I had eaten less than half a bar, but it took me half an hour to do even that much) and more water, was able to lie down again after a couple of attempts forced me back out of bed. This lasted probably 45-60 minutes is my guess.
This morning when SAra walked by and I said "Hi" (In what I thought was a normal voice), she said "What's wrong? You don't sound right." (Wow.)
I told Sara what I told you, and she said if it happens again, I should immediately take a spoonful of sugar, in case it really is just very low blood sugar at work (which is possible, I'll do a little reading on that this morning just to see).
But I was pretty freaked out. I wanted to call Nick (I think he'd be annoyed by the time but concerned by what I was telling him), but I knew his phone would be in the kitchen and he wouldn't hear me calling.
Wow, Red! Glad you're okay. Orange Juice will do it, too. That's what diabetics do when their sugar is too low and they're having an insulin reaction. Either a glass of water with a whole bunch of sugar or a glass of orange juice.(Tells you how much sugar is in orange juice.) But a candy bar works, too.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90710 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend Mindy told me to call her if it happens again, since she keeps her phone next to her bed, as her alarm clock.
But like Nick said, it's time to start having something for supper even when I"m not feeling up to eating (like last night, at the bar after softball, I just wasn't feeling hungry). As an adult, I should eat because I know I should eat.
While you're online, look into how not eating can make your blood pressure really low, too, and what those symptoms are. I remember when one of my sisters was on a diet and she kept fainting. It was from too low blood pressure.

Just a thought.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90711 Sep 4, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I eat once a day a lot of days. If I have coffee in the morning, with sugar or creamer with sugar in the creamer, it's not uncommon for me to get a sugar low a few hours later if I've been drinking it all morning and into the afternoon.
It makes me feel very weak and light headed. Crackers, bread, sugar ... anything with starch or sugar does the trick and you don't really need that much. It' seems be be absorbed in your system really quick too.
I have a bad habit of doing that with the coffee and not eating en my daughter is with her dad. Like red, I just won't feel hungry sometimes, too, so I just don't eat. I am fine when my kid is home because SHE has to eat, so I make a sit down meal or we grab something when we're out. But those weekends she's not with me, I am REALLY bad. I try to be better about it and was proud that I did well this weekend.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90712 Sep 4, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a bad habit of doing that with the coffee and not eating en my daughter is with her dad. Like red, I just won't feel hungry sometimes, too, so I just don't eat. I am fine when my kid is home because SHE has to eat, so I make a sit down meal or we grab something when we're out. But those weekends she's not with me, I am REALLY bad. I try to be better about it and was proud that I did well this weekend.
I think coffee suppresses your appetite. It seems to have that affect on me.

I tend to eat more on the weekends, just cause I'm around my kids too. Still it's not uncommon for me to make breakfast for everyone and then not eat until dinner.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#90713 Sep 4, 2013
Wow, Ang, scary!

I've had similar episodes since I was around 13. I've noticed that for me it's a combination of not eating enough and being hot/overheated.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90714 Sep 4, 2013
Especially if you have a history of low blood sugar episodes.
Glad you're ok though. Sounds like you system was crashing because you had no sugar/carbs to run the engine after all that softball. And you must be smoking fit if your body could not find any fat to burn.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#90715 Sep 4, 2013
Stimulants/speed decrease your appetite, so caffeine definitely can have that effect.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90716 Sep 4, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
While you're online, look into how not eating can make your blood pressure really low, too, and what those symptoms are. I remember when one of my sisters was on a diet and she kept fainting. It was from too low blood pressure.
Just a thought.
When i used to play alotta sports like that....we would drink Gatorade and take salt tabs, also.....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90717 Sep 4, 2013
Glad you're OK, Ang. That's the kind of episode that could result in a fainting/hitting your head on the way down kind of thing.

But, <in my best old italian grandma voice> you need to eat something!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90718 Sep 4, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>When i used to play alotta sports like that....we would drink Gatorade and take salt tabs, also.....
When I was very much younger, we would eat Jello. Dried -- not made. It was a trend for awhile, I'm not sure why.
A noted observer

Arlington Heights, IL

#90719 Sep 4, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ironically, he didn't adapt well to captivity but he did serve his life sentence.

Location hidden

#90720 Sep 4, 2013
RACE wrote:
And you must be smoking fit if your body could not find any fat to burn.
<quoted text>
God bless you.

And no, there is puh-lenty of fat to burn!:)

Location hidden

#90721 Sep 4, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was very much younger, we would eat Jello. Dried -- not made. It was a trend for awhile, I'm not sure why.
We did that before track meets.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90722 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
We did that before track meets.
Did you? It had a great taste but our fingers were always stained. When you're 11 or so, you don't care.

Location hidden

#90723 Sep 4, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you? It had a great taste but our fingers were always stained. When you're 11 or so, you don't care.
Yeah, it was the 1980s answer to energy bars, gels, etc.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90724 Sep 4, 2013
RACE wrote:
Wait! I meant, what a tragedy! Sure he did some awful things, but he was someone's child! What if his mother saw us gloating over his demise? I am sure he was the product of a broken environment, and its society's fault that we did not fix him. Its only billions of dollars people! Just think if we spent enough we could fix everyone. You all should do a little soul searching and think about your own small part is how that man turned out.
Oh, who am I kidding...
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood...
<quoted text>
Agreed. How pathetic to have lived your life in such a way that upon hearing of your death, the whole world says "good."

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90725 Sep 4, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Yeah, but WTF. He put those women through the trial and then a month in to his bajillion year sentence, he offs himself? Don't get me wrong, the planet is better for it, but--those poor women. I just hope they each have a strong support system in place.
I'm wondering how they are taking this. There must be some sort of Stockholm (ish) syndrome there, so they are going to likely need therapy to deal with this too...in addition to the therapy they are already getting. He was such a baby. Kept them locked up for more than 10 years and he didn't even make it 5 MONTHS!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90726 Sep 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Googled and found a list (at a medcical site) of symptoms of low blood sugar. When I was a kid, I had to eat every couple of hours or I'd get stomach aches -- I had crazy fast metabolism and got low blood sugar very easily.
But this was far more serious. Sara's suggestion to eat a spoonful of sugar was one of several solutions that same website provided.
Also, it would help if I would get groceries. I'm out of bread. Toast would have provided the carbs I needed as well (after quick ingesting sugar for the needed spike).
Thanks for letting me ramble. Still trying to figure it all out.
I get something like that occasionally, sometime twice a year, sometime not for a couple years . I get sweats and chills. It is always a single isolated episode which lasts 15-30 minutes. There are always a couple of old and otherwise uneatable pieces of candy or granola bars in my desk drawer and the car. The possibilities also include hormones- you re old enough to get hot flashes.

For me, it goes away with no other side effect than being a bit light headed for a while.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 15 min Foster 22
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 31 min Barry Choomer Soetoo 1,126,707
Rattlesnake Logic 33 min little boy blue 20
Amy 10-24 50 min edogxxx 2
Abby 10-24 55 min edogxxx 2
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 70,100
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 179,387
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago