Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90625 Aug 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this but you make very general statements that I believe don't reflect the many facets of the problem. Believe me, where I live there's a large number of takers around here but I know in different areas the story changes.
And I'm also proud that I can use as many letters on my keyboard as you do.:)
There needs to be built in accountability mechanisms in our welfare programs. It shouldn't just be a free for all and you can live as if you actually earned that money yourself and can keep on the same path, with impunity, that got you there in the first place. Try telling that to many liberals and they say you hate poor people just because you don't want to enable and subsidize poor choices in life.

I type very fast.

Location hidden

#90626 Aug 30, 2013
Alright kids, it's been fun, but I gotta run.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90627 Aug 30, 2013
I am bored. I am trying to go the whole weekend without drinking!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90628 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Alright kids, it's been fun, but I gotta run.
I hope you're running off to a fun holiday weekend!
A Noted Observer

Palatine, IL

#90629 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said $7.25 was too much and I don't think very many conservatives say that either.$7.25 is currently what it is set as.
I think the minimum wage should probably be about $9 and indexed for inflation, as well.$15 an hour is just crazy talk, tho.
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone is afraid they will make that much. It's pie in the sky that they will ever make that much.
That post wasn't addressed to you. Pay attention and stop being so egotesticle as to think the entire thread is about you. THIS post is but, not necessarily the others.

Evanston IL

#90630 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
With all of Nick's family around? For 3 days?

Might as well just wear a hair shirt.
:D

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90631 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
You picked a three day weekend to tray and do that??? Wait, and aren't you out today, too??? What the....

I say give up and try next weekend!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90632 Aug 30, 2013
Red -- gotta go with Squishy and Stina. Seriously? Go have a beer or margarita or something!

Location hidden

#90633 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you're running off to a fun holiday weekend!
No, i need to get something finished. My wife has to work tonight, Sunday Night, and Monday NIght. She works 7PM-7AM. So we won't be doing much this weekend. I will probably take the boys on the lake by myself one day, but she'll want to rest during the day and won't feel like being out on the lake all day Sunday before work.

I am getting a bada$s gaming computer from Alienware, tomorrow, tho. So I'll have some fun with that.

Location hidden

#90634 Aug 30, 2013
A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>That post wasn't addressed to you. Pay attention and stop being so egotesticle as to think the entire thread is about you. THIS post is but, not necessarily the others.
Public forum! I can respond to whoever I want to. Don't like it, use email.:p :p :p :p

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90635 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There needs to be built in accountability mechanisms in our welfare programs. It shouldn't just be a free for all and you can live as if you actually earned that money yourself and can keep on the same path, with impunity, that got you there in the first place. Try telling that to many liberals and they say you hate poor people just because you don't want to enable and subsidize poor choices in life.
I type very fast.
this is very true, but clinton was the only one who made an effort to stem some welfare entitlements, liberal that he may be. the whole system needs to be revisited.

Location hidden

#90636 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
With all of Nick's family around? For 3 days?
Might as well just wear a hair shirt.
:D
I laughed even though I don't get he joke!

Location hidden

#90637 Aug 30, 2013
Republicans want to throw the baby out with the bath water and eliminate welfare programs. During welfare reform (you now can receive welfare for ONLY five years over the course of your lifetime), dems pushed to include money to investigate and prosecute fraud but the GOP fought it.

I figure, let dems dole out the money, let the GOP handle fraud investigation and enforcement. Lave alone the people who are using welfare as a stop gap measure, and find those who are milking the system fraudulently and prosecute.

Location hidden

#90638 Aug 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
this is very true, but clinton was the only one who made an effort to stem some welfare entitlements, liberal that he may be. the whole system needs to be revisited.
And Clinton was no liberal. Very much a moderate.

Location hidden

#90639 Aug 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Clinton was a very good President, IMO. Clearly the best out of the last 3.

What is more impressive is that while he was a democrat and republicans had control of both the house and senate for 75% of his administration, from 1994-2000, he was able to work across party lines and get things done.
Timmy

Hollywood, FL

#90640 Aug 30, 2013
Don't know about where you live, but here in Florida almost all of those things are paid for by local property taxes.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that 42% for both Feds and State? Any city or local tax?
What do you get for that 42%?
Other than
1, A cop when you call him
2. A firetruck when you need it
3.Clean water
4.Streets which are paved and lighted
5. Maybe garbage pick up
6.Confidence that the food you buy won't poison you or give you parasites
7. Schools for your boys
8 Any special ed services you might need
9. An airport and some guys who keep the planes from running/crashing into each other
10 A library, both local and central which keeps a copy of everything (Library of Congress)
11. A bunch of guys in offices who make sure that that idea of yours isn't ripped off and profited by some pirate
12.A judge and a courthouse in case you get into a disagreement.
That's just off the top of my head. Sounds cheap at 42%

Evanston IL

#90642 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I laughed even though I don't get he joke!
Medieval priests wore hair shirts as a form of penance. They believed that suffering of the body could bring greater spiritual awareness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortification_of...

"In its simplest form, mortification of the flesh can mean merely denying oneself certain pleasures, such as permanently or temporarily abstaining from alcoholic beverages, sexual relations, or any area of life that makes the person's spiritual life more difficult or burdensome. It can also be practiced by choosing a simple or even impoverished lifestyle; this is often one reason many monks of various religions take vows of poverty.

Traditional forms of physical mortification are the cilice and hair-shirts. In some of its more severe forms, it can mean causing self-inflicted pain and physical harm, such as beating, whipping, or piercing."

Fun stuff.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90643 Aug 30, 2013
Red- why no booze? Are you laying off for a while? Trying to lose weight? Taking antibiotics? Designated driver?

Its a big shift for you

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90644 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
And Clinton was no liberal. Very much a moderate.
true, but in the right wing world these days he would be a flaming liberal.....or a communist...
A Noted Observer

Palatine, IL

#90645 Aug 30, 2013
I know that in this post-Civil Rights society of ours that Bill Clinton being a very white guy made it twice as easy for him to get an also white republican Congress to cooperate with him, than any half white president currently could.

Abraham Lincoln was the ONLY republican to attend the 50th anniversary of the March On Washington.

But honestly- Lincoln kinda had to be there...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
amy 1-25 4 min Pippa l 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min woodtick57 1,127,096
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Beavis 179,463
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 27 min JOEL 70,104
abby 10-25 1 hr PEllen 1
Man fatally stabbed, 8 other people shot in Thu... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 2 hr Swedenforever 54,525
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]