|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking how things SHOULD go. And the mother SHOULD work it out with him and not just "see him in court". That's just stupid. I think they both are handling it badly. No one gets a pass from me in this situation except maybe the kid. He's being willful, trying insert his opinion and independence of decisions (somewhat) but that's what a kid is suppose to do at his age.
(sigh) But so many times things don't go as they should.
If more parents would just ask us non parents what to do, your problems would be over! ; )

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish more people took your approach when there's a disagreement. Eh, me included. We could learn from how you patiently point out things without degrading someone. I appreciate that.
I'm awesome like that.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The owner would have squat if there were no workers.
the unskilled workers are a lot easier to find snd replace than the owner. Without him, there would be no business.

What do you use to determine how much someone's services are worth? Is the button pusher worth as much as the cpa? Withou him, there might not be any business. Does the button pusher deserve more money if the place is doing well? Profit sharing? If the place goes bsnkrupt, they gonna chip in some cash to pay off creditors or share in the owner's loss?

Higher risk = higher reward. The owners deserve any high reward they get. I can't say the same for the unskilled labor

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Lets scale it back a little. Lets say I open a quickie mart. I made the investment and did all the hard work of getting this business off the ground. But I don't have an unlimited supply of time. I can't sleep behind the cash register. Obviously I need to hire one or 2 people to wirk in my store. Should their pay be based on what kind of money I'm bringing in, ie: a piece of the pie? Or should it be based on the value of the service they provide?
This is where personal values come into the picture, imo. These 2 or 3 employees have probably also worked hard, yanno because they want the job/$$$, and it is up to the owner to decide if they should be rewarded for that past effort, since it resulted in the success of the business or continue to pay them just for the service they provide. <mimishrug> I don't have that answer for people.

I heard this yesterday on the radio.
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/29/216720753/seatt...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Everyone gets paid what they are worth.

If you feel you are underpaid, demand a raise. If you don't get it, your employer disagrees with your assessment of your worth. Go find someone who will pay you what you want. If you can't find someone to pay you that, then you are not worth what you thought.

Financially speaking, you are worth what you can get someone to agree to pay you.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Everyone gets paid what they are worth.
If you feel you are underpaid, demand a raise. If you don't get it, your employer disagrees with your assessment of your worth. Go find someone who will pay you what you want. If you can't find someone to pay you that, then you are not worth what you thought.
Financially speaking, you are worth what you can get someone to agree to pay you.
Not only that, but it's not like you actually get to keep all this money you earn. If you get paid more, you pay more in taxes.

I just got a bonus this past month for an idea of mine and the government took about 42% of my bonus.

I come up with an idea, with my own f'ing brain and society is entitled to 42% of any profit I derive from it. That's fair. Really? No, that's not fair ... that's liberal social justice for you.
A Noted Observer

Wheeling, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Let's say you are Nike. You could make the shoes all by yourself because you are a hard-working entrepreneur and you really are that good but, you have investors and stockholders that essentially, you work for. You owe these hard-working paper pushers a living and, the best living possible to boot.

So, do you open factories in America where a brutal, dictatorial regime forces job creators to pay a minimum wage and even taxes (YIKES!), or do you honor your investors by making your sneakers in some SE Asian 3rd world hell hole where people who complain just don't eat?

We get those lucrative Nike jobs back here in this country when we give up this American exceptionalism that, if you read the fine print, doesn't include YOU anyways. All we need to do is eliminate the minimum and get teatards to convince their fellow Americans that it's a *good* idea.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The owner would have squat if there were no workers.
The workers would have squat if it wasn't for the owner.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but it's not like you actually get to keep all this money you earn. If you get paid more, you pay more in taxes.
I just got a bonus this past month for an idea of mine and the government took about 42% of my bonus.
I come up with an idea, with my own f'ing brain and society is entitled to 42% of any profit I derive from it. That's fair. Really? No, that's not fair ... that's liberal social justice for you.
Yeah, they suck you dry on bonuses. Our pay is structured with bonuses and it just kills me the amount that they take - much higher than the regular income tax!

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I heard this yesterday on the radio.
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/29/216720753/seatt...
So for years this guy was okay with his "team" being close to the food bank line, but he suddenly found jesus after amassing more money than he knows what to do with and building a huge restaurant empire.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they suck you dry on bonuses. Our pay is structured with bonuses and it just kills me the amount that they take - much higher than the regular income tax!
You get some it back, though. Many employers tax bonuses as if they are your regular salary rate so employees aren't stuck with a surprise tax bill later on. My employer doesn't do this, but it is the only employer I've had that does it that way.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

A Noted Observer wrote:
Let's say you are Nike. You could make the shoes all by yourself because you are a hard-working entrepreneur and you really are that good but, you have investors and stockholders that essentially, you work for. You owe these hard-working paper pushers a living and, the best living possible to boot.
So, do you open factories in America where a brutal, dictatorial regime forces job creators to pay a minimum wage and even taxes (YIKES!), or do you honor your investors by making your sneakers in some SE Asian 3rd world hell hole where people who complain just don't eat?
We get those lucrative Nike jobs back here in this country when we give up this American exceptionalism that, if you read the fine print, doesn't include YOU anyways. All we need to do is eliminate the minimum and get teatards to convince their fellow Americans that it's a *good* idea.
I hope they do bring the jobs back here. Then I'll start a shoe company in China, called Chike, make shoes of the same quality, but for far less, use that money saved to pay Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant and a number of other athletes to endorse them. Before you know it the sheep will follow and start buying them, and now I've just captured some of Nike's market share and become a major player in the shoe business.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did some research, and I'm thinking I'll get some of it back when I file my income taxes, but at first when I looked at the amount of the bonus and then looked at the amount my checked increased, I was like wth is this b.s., lol.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The workers would have squat if it wasn't for the owner.
Then doesn't it make sense for both parties to treat each other well?
A Noted Observer

Wheeling, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/bus iness/archive/2013/08/the-magi cal-world-where-mcdonalds-pays -15-an-hour-its-australia/2783 13/
They are light years ahead of us in eliminating mass homicides with guns too.

Maybe their business people have more guts and brains too as they have figured out how to be successful without screwing their employees?

If you've got a million dollars to invest and you can't manage to make the $150k yearly profit you desire by paying a living wage to your workers, perhaps a McDonalds career is not for you. You can move on down the road until you find a business that pays you what you desire.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/dd-8C11040936

"It's absolutely ridiculous," said CEO Nadim Salhani. "We're not allowed to use black to promote our doughnuts? I don't get it. What's the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?"

LMFAO ... So true.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That amount was combined fed, state, ssn and md, no? If a separate bonus was paid it should be a flat 25% for Fed, unless the bonus was over a million, then 35%. I don't know what your state requires
but there would be SSN and Medi. So, at the end of the year when all earnings are combined there is a possibility that you might get a refund. Unless you're in the highest tax bracket there is.
And...if that bonus combined with income would reach the max for SSN at some point then that would stop.

I'm sure interested in your solution to the so-called living wage issue. A majority of these workers are part-time and high school age. Hopefully, they will be able to better themselves for their future by learning a work ethic and earning some money that might just go to college. And not everyone can do that. Do you want your high tax dollars to fund trade education? Fund birth control? What? Subsidize corps to bring back mfg back to the US? Also,it's obvious that large companies have not jumped in to job create with their bags of cash.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>They are light years ahead of us in eliminating mass homicides with guns too.
Maybe their business people have more guts and brains too as they have figured out how to be successful without screwing their employees?
If you've got a million dollars to invest and you can't manage to make the $150k yearly profit you desire by paying a living wage to your workers, perhaps a McDonalds career is not for you. You can move on down the road until you find a business that pays you what you desire.
What you should have said is if you want to paid like a college educated teacher who is just starting off gets paid and think you are entitled to this while doing the job that a trained monkey could do, you need to become more acquainted with this thing we call reality.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
You get some it back, though. Many employers tax bonuses as if they are your regular salary rate so employees aren't stuck with a surprise tax bill later on. My employer doesn't do this, but it is the only employer I've had that does it that way.
No, it's taxed a lot MORE than the regular rate (maybe that's what you meant to type?). I do get some back, but it doesn't feel like it!:(

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 89,241 - 89,260 of97,432
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••