Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90599 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but it's not like you actually get to keep all this money you earn. If you get paid more, you pay more in taxes.
I just got a bonus this past month for an idea of mine and the government took about 42% of my bonus.
I come up with an idea, with my own f'ing brain and society is entitled to 42% of any profit I derive from it. That's fair. Really? No, that's not fair ... that's liberal social justice for you.
Yeah, they suck you dry on bonuses. Our pay is structured with bonuses and it just kills me the amount that they take - much higher than the regular income tax!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90600 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I heard this yesterday on the radio.
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/29/216720753/seatt...
So for years this guy was okay with his "team" being close to the food bank line, but he suddenly found jesus after amassing more money than he knows what to do with and building a huge restaurant empire.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90601 Aug 30, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they suck you dry on bonuses. Our pay is structured with bonuses and it just kills me the amount that they take - much higher than the regular income tax!
You get some it back, though. Many employers tax bonuses as if they are your regular salary rate so employees aren't stuck with a surprise tax bill later on. My employer doesn't do this, but it is the only employer I've had that does it that way.

Location hidden

#90602 Aug 30, 2013
A Noted Observer wrote:
Let's say you are Nike. You could make the shoes all by yourself because you are a hard-working entrepreneur and you really are that good but, you have investors and stockholders that essentially, you work for. You owe these hard-working paper pushers a living and, the best living possible to boot.
So, do you open factories in America where a brutal, dictatorial regime forces job creators to pay a minimum wage and even taxes (YIKES!), or do you honor your investors by making your sneakers in some SE Asian 3rd world hell hole where people who complain just don't eat?
We get those lucrative Nike jobs back here in this country when we give up this American exceptionalism that, if you read the fine print, doesn't include YOU anyways. All we need to do is eliminate the minimum and get teatards to convince their fellow Americans that it's a *good* idea.
I hope they do bring the jobs back here. Then I'll start a shoe company in China, called Chike, make shoes of the same quality, but for far less, use that money saved to pay Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant and a number of other athletes to endorse them. Before you know it the sheep will follow and start buying them, and now I've just captured some of Nike's market share and become a major player in the shoe business.

Location hidden

#90603 Aug 30, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did some research, and I'm thinking I'll get some of it back when I file my income taxes, but at first when I looked at the amount of the bonus and then looked at the amount my checked increased, I was like wth is this b.s., lol.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90604 Aug 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The workers would have squat if it wasn't for the owner.
Then doesn't it make sense for both parties to treat each other well?
A Noted Observer

Palatine, IL

#90605 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/bus iness/archive/2013/08/the-magi cal-world-where-mcdonalds-pays -15-an-hour-its-australia/2783 13/
They are light years ahead of us in eliminating mass homicides with guns too.

Maybe their business people have more guts and brains too as they have figured out how to be successful without screwing their employees?

If you've got a million dollars to invest and you can't manage to make the $150k yearly profit you desire by paying a living wage to your workers, perhaps a McDonalds career is not for you. You can move on down the road until you find a business that pays you what you desire.

Location hidden

#90606 Aug 30, 2013
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/dd-8C11040936

"It's absolutely ridiculous," said CEO Nadim Salhani. "We're not allowed to use black to promote our doughnuts? I don't get it. What's the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?"

LMFAO ... So true.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90607 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but it's not like you actually get to keep all this money you earn. If you get paid more, you pay more in taxes.
I just got a bonus this past month for an idea of mine and the government took about 42% of my bonus.
I come up with an idea, with my own f'ing brain and society is entitled to 42% of any profit I derive from it. That's fair. Really? No, that's not fair ... that's liberal social justice for you.
That amount was combined fed, state, ssn and md, no? If a separate bonus was paid it should be a flat 25% for Fed, unless the bonus was over a million, then 35%. I don't know what your state requires
but there would be SSN and Medi. So, at the end of the year when all earnings are combined there is a possibility that you might get a refund. Unless you're in the highest tax bracket there is.
And...if that bonus combined with income would reach the max for SSN at some point then that would stop.

I'm sure interested in your solution to the so-called living wage issue. A majority of these workers are part-time and high school age. Hopefully, they will be able to better themselves for their future by learning a work ethic and earning some money that might just go to college. And not everyone can do that. Do you want your high tax dollars to fund trade education? Fund birth control? What? Subsidize corps to bring back mfg back to the US? Also,it's obvious that large companies have not jumped in to job create with their bags of cash.

Location hidden

#90608 Aug 30, 2013
A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>They are light years ahead of us in eliminating mass homicides with guns too.
Maybe their business people have more guts and brains too as they have figured out how to be successful without screwing their employees?
If you've got a million dollars to invest and you can't manage to make the $150k yearly profit you desire by paying a living wage to your workers, perhaps a McDonalds career is not for you. You can move on down the road until you find a business that pays you what you desire.
What you should have said is if you want to paid like a college educated teacher who is just starting off gets paid and think you are entitled to this while doing the job that a trained monkey could do, you need to become more acquainted with this thing we call reality.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90609 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
You get some it back, though. Many employers tax bonuses as if they are your regular salary rate so employees aren't stuck with a surprise tax bill later on. My employer doesn't do this, but it is the only employer I've had that does it that way.
No, it's taxed a lot MORE than the regular rate (maybe that's what you meant to type?). I do get some back, but it doesn't feel like it!:(
A Noted Observer

Palatine, IL

#90610 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you should have said is if you want to paid like a college educated teacher who is just starting off gets paid and think you are entitled to this while doing the job that a trained monkey could do, you need to become more acquainted with this thing we call reality.
No, actually I couldn't say that because I don't believe that.

Are you trying to say that teachers are underpaid? Do you have an opinion along those lines or do you only wrongly interpret what you'd like to *think* other posters are *saying*?

Location hidden

#90611 Aug 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure interested in your solution to the so-called living wage issue. A majority of these workers are part-time and high school age. Hopefully, they will be able to better themselves for their future by learning a work ethic and earning some money that might just go to college. And not everyone can do that.
Certain jobs are not meant to be a career. Certain jobs are not meant to support a family of 4. Certain jobs are meant to be done by seniors who just want a little supplemental income, teenagers, spouses, who want a part time job and a little bit more money for their family, and someone going to college or a trade school who needs a little extra income for expenses. Flipping burgers and asking folks if theyíd like fries with this are one of these jobs.

Iím not saying this because Iím elitist, either; Iíve done shyte jobs that pay poorly:

I worked when I was a teen in a Chinese Restaurant, doing dishes and busing tables, making $5 something an hour.

Before that I worked on a farm, doing many things, but often times unloading huge wagons full of hay in the hot sun, for $2.50 a load.

In college I worked in a convenience store as a clerk as well in a university lab, making maybe $6 or $7 and hour.

These things I say should not be some unforeseen revelation Ö no one working in fast food should feel blind-sided by the fact that they arenít paid well, just like no one who decides his career will be riding his bike and collecting recycled cans out of dumpsters should be surprised to find out that this wonít pay very well. Everyone knows and has always known that these jobs donít pay well.

I donít even see it as a problem in the fast food industry. If you want to make more money, you need to acquire a more valuable job skill. That's really all there is to it, as far as I'm concerned.

Location hidden

#90612 Aug 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want your high tax dollars to fund trade education? Fund birth control? What? Subsidize corps to bring back mfg back to the US? Also,it's obvious that large companies have not jumped in to job create with their bags of cash.
Iím all for funding trade education and funding higher education in general.

Iím all for free access to birth control.

In terms of companies who offshore jobs, Iím not in favor of unfettered free trade. I think a huge problem with the WTO is that there are no standards. It is precisely this fact that causes many companies to send stuff offshore, because if they arenít doing it and their competitors are, they are at a competitive disadvantage if they donít follow suit. When you have countries with no labor or environmental standards, those are where all the non-high-tech manufacturing jobs are going to go. Iíve seen it Ö Iíve lived it. Many of us have seen it. It started back when my father was in the business world. If you want to solve the problem, you have to know why it happens Ö itís not because some Mr. Burns type is wringing his hands trying to figure out how to buy a bigger boat.

That is something a many folks including a former community organizer wouldnít understand, because they have never worked in a manufacturing business setting, at a high level. At the Presidential level, thatís very problematic because, if you donít understand what causes something you donít care for (I think off shoring is pretty much universally despised), you are ill equipped to find a solution to it.

Location hidden

#90613 Aug 30, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's taxed a lot MORE than the regular rate (maybe that's what you meant to type?). I do get some back, but it doesn't feel like it!:(
I know it is taxed more, but that is because they tax it as if that amount IS your regular paycheck.

Location hidden

#90614 Aug 30, 2013
That is how I meant for it to come out the first time, anyway!
edogxxx

Brooklyn, NY

#90615 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Then doesn't it make sense for both parties to treat each other well?
Are they getting a paycheck? Then they are treated well. That's all the owner owes them.

Location hidden

#90616 Aug 30, 2013
A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>No, actually I couldn't say that because I don't believe that.
Are you trying to say that teachers are underpaid? Do you have an opinion along those lines or do you only wrongly interpret what you'd like to *think* other posters are *saying*?
No, I don't think teachers are underpaid considering they only work 9 months out of the year and have a great retirement package compared to folks in the private sector. My wife was a teacher too, and I know that it's not just a 8-3:30 job, either, and often times you are using your own money for school supplies.

What I was saying is that someone with absolutely no skills who does a fast food job that some kid in junior high could do just as well should not be paid like they are skilled, and in my specific example, paid like a teacher, who spent 40-80k on tuition and went to college and student taught for 4-5 years. The very thought is just ludicrous.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90617 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it is taxed more, but that is because they tax it as if that amount IS your regular paycheck.
Not exactly. Employers can tax in two different ways. Add it to your paycheck and tax as if that was your weekly pay which would be high. OR issue a separate check and tax at a fixed % as I've mentioned earlier.

You can also adjust your W4 if you can figure out your EOY liability to account for the higher rate for the combined check. A lot of people don't know that. As long as you declare the correct info on your return you can claim M10 even when single. Don't advise it tho unless you know what you will have to pay.
In my 30+ years, most in payroll mgt. I've had people put exempt on there because they got a refund the previous year. We used to have to send a copy of the W4 to the IRS.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90618 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that 42% for both Feds and State? Any city or local tax?

What do you get for that 42%?

Other than
1, A cop when you call him
2. A firetruck when you need it
3.Clean water
4.Streets which are paved and lighted
5. Maybe garbage pick up
6.Confidence that the food you buy won't poison you or give you parasites
7. Schools for your boys
8 Any special ed services you might need
9. An airport and some guys who keep the planes from running/crashing into each other
10 A library, both local and central which keeps a copy of everything (Library of Congress)
11. A bunch of guys in offices who make sure that that idea of yours isn't ripped off and profited by some pirate
12.A judge and a courthouse in case you get into a disagreement.

That's just off the top of my head. Sounds cheap at 42%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 min James 68,514
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Yeah 1,110,223
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min loose cannon 178,096
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 32 min Hole open wides 49,878
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Twisted Nixon 46,740
Amy 9-20 1 hr Kuuipo 6
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr texas pete 4,723
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info