Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

-CatCiao- wrote:
Wow, politics, religion, and gay marriage all on one page. I love this thread!
Satan is all for gay marriage.

As long as both chics are hot.
Ewww

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Chitown is a gaytown

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
McDonald's is privately owned?
Yeah, just checked and it's not. But I'm not prepared to argue with you about this. I don't feel like taking all the abuse.
No, squich. You're right, it's not. But the franchises are. So my McD's on 4th St is owned bu Joe Blow who pays fees to the McD corporation to use their name/product/concept. Just like the local gas station is owned and run by some guy around the corner, not by BP or Shell itself.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

*squish - bad typing!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not mean to imply that fast food workers should be paid $19/hour. I did imply that the people *who actually do the work to sell the product that makes the company a sh!tload of money* should get a bigger piece of the pie.
I call that fair and equitable distribution of wealth.
Lets scale it back a little. Lets say I open a quickie mart. I made the investment and did all the hard work of getting this business off the ground. But I don't have an unlimited supply of time. I can't sleep behind the cash register. Obviously I need to hire one or 2 people to wirk in my store. Should their pay be based on what kind of money I'm bringing in, ie: a piece of the pie? Or should it be based on the value of the service they provide?

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop being such a smug know it all a hole. She has a different opinion than you do. I SHARE her opinion on this.
Angela, you behave 10X worse when edog disagrees with you on many issues. You'd also be patting me on the back if I agreed with you on this issue and took the same tone with edog when discussing it.
I am not surprised that you agree with Squishy. I agree with you about certain things, but you, like her, often times shoot from the hip and have uninformed opinions when it comes to businesses and economics. Squishy suggested that just because the CEO makes a lot of money, it means the company can afford to pay its workers more. I used facts to show that’s not true … even if you paid the CEO no compensation, it would only translate into a half a penny hourly rate increase for every worker … and you’d likely be out of a CEO.
When I pointed this out, Squishy came back and said, well, it would still be a good thing because it would make the lower level employees feel better about themselves, which I liken to a misery loves company argument. I’m sorry, I don’t believe it is very smart to suggest that we need to make more folks less happy, just so that those who are already unhappy feel better about themselves.

She also said corporate shareholders should do with smaller dividends and I presume less share price increases, but she completely ignores the fact that many of our retirements are funded by stocks (I’m sure she will just come back and say, she would be perfectly okay with her pension fund receiving less of a return on its investments, because the government can always just raise taxes to make up the difference).

She also completely ignores that IPOs and corporate stocks are precisely how many companies expand and create jobs. Pot Belly, which is a sandwich shop, is going to have an IPO, soon, why, because they will use all the money gained from selling shares to open up more restaurants. Investors, including perhaps your 401k, my 401k, and Squishy’s pension fund, are only going to pay a certain amount per share based on how much money they can earn back on their investment. Lower folks returns on their investments and they will pay less for such stock, which means you have less money to expand, which means there are less jobs.

These things are really basic economics, but they are so foreign to the two of you. It doesn’t make me a d’ that this is completely foreign to you two, and I have to explain it to you both.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means they aren't really the greedy SOBs you think they are. The fast good market is too competitive for them to be greedy.
Not only do they have to compete against other fast food restaurants, but regular restaurants. I already drop at least 25-30 to buy my family dinner at a mcdonalds ... We can eat at some sit down restaurants for 60-65 and have a beer. Rather than eat at mcdonalds twice a month, I'd already rather eat at a sit down restaurant once a month, as it is. If they raise prices more, I'm even less likely to eat at one with my family.
Whereas lunch and breakfast during the week may be about getting food fast, most folks aren't so concerned about eating fast for dinner too.
I don't make decisions on where we eat for dinner based on what the workers make ... I make them based on what place me and my family enjoy best and our budget for dinning out.
Honestly, fast food prices are riduculous for what you get. We RARELY get fast food and, if we do, it's usually Chick Fil A. We did go to Wendy's the other day (it was a SUnday - no CFA) and I spent about $12 for a value meal and a kids meal. I could go to the Chinese buffet and get some decent food with fruits and veggies, desserts and all for about $16 for both of us. I can go to Publix and get 2 HUGE fresh sandwiches, 2 mac salads and 2 drinks for about $13-$14. I see no "value" in fast food. And I DEFINITELY wouldn't go if prices went up!!! Barely worth it as it is!!!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

Sub too long didn't read. I figure you'll just be a dismissive dick again.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not mean to imply that fast food workers should be paid $19/hour. I did imply that the people *who actually do the work to sell the product that makes the company a sh!tload of money* should get a bigger piece of the pie.
While I see your point, the fact remains that hitting a button on a register is simply not worth, say $10-$15 an hour. If they want to make $15 an hour, they need to put time and effort in. Make personal sacrifices. Go to school and get an education. Sacrifice some "fun" and get to a place where they are trained to a job that is worth $15. Unskilled jobs are just that. They are not meant to be careers. They are supposed to be stepping stones to something else. I worked crappy jobs and went to school BECAUSE I wanted a skilled job that paid more. And, again, I have a friend that's a librarian that can barely make $15 am hour and she has a master's degree to pay off. Why should someone without a HS diploma make the same, just because it seems "fair". That's not so fair to people like my friend. If it's fair that everyone make about the same, it would only be fair, then, for them to help pay off the loans of the people that bothered to make an effort. That would help distribute things more evenly. Sorry, I know that's probably not exactly what you are syaing. I just get how when I read about people wanting more and more without making any extra effort to earn it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

*buy "paying off the loans" I mean "paying off the STUDENT loans"

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, fast food prices are riduculous for what you get. We RARELY get fast food and, if we do, it's usually Chick Fil A. We did go to Wendy's the other day (it was a SUnday - no CFA) and I spent about $12 for a value meal and a kids meal. I could go to the Chinese buffet and get some decent food with fruits and veggies, desserts and all for about $16 for both of us. I can go to Publix and get 2 HUGE fresh sandwiches, 2 mac salads and 2 drinks for about $13-$14. I see no "value" in fast food. And I DEFINITELY wouldn't go if prices went up!!! Barely worth it as it is!!!
I think a lot of folks feel the same.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sub too long didn't read. I figure you'll just be a dismissive dick again.
You don't need to tell me what you read or didn't read. While you figure I'm just being a dismissive d1ck, by doing so you confirm you are an ignorant b1tch.

Since: Mar 11

Mt. Greylock

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The way I see it, the one who is doing the work to sell the product is the business owner who keeps a viable business running with all the responsibility that comes along with that. Think about all the hard work, risk and effort that go into running a successful business, from hiring decent employees to keeping the establishment in a condition to pass inspections, working payroll and all other business related ecnomic issues, being on call sometimes 24 hours a day, and constantly watching the back door because of those pilferers who believe they deserve a piece of the pie with little to no ouput.

Many of us have worked our asses off, with many personal sacrifices, to get where we are. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that someone working in a job that requires no education or training should expect to receive an "equitable portion" of the profits, just because they want it.

I want to be a millionaire, but until I do what it takes to get there, I don't deserve for it to just be handed to me.

Mt. Greylock

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

IXSatanXI wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan is all for gay marriage.
As long as both chics are hot.
Babe, you have a one track mind! ;-)

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
The way I see it, the one who is doing the work to sell the product is the business owner who keeps a viable business running with all the responsibility that comes along with that. Think about all the hard work, risk and effort that go into running a successful business, from hiring decent employees to keeping the establishment in a condition to pass inspections, working payroll and all other business related ecnomic issues, being on call sometimes 24 hours a day, and constantly watching the back door because of those pilferers who believe they deserve a piece of the pie with little to no ouput.
Many of us have worked our asses off, with many personal sacrifices, to get where we are. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that someone working in a job that requires no education or training should expect to receive an "equitable portion" of the profits, just because they want it.
I want to be a millionaire, but until I do what it takes to get there, I don't deserve for it to just be handed to me.
Unless you win the lotto. Then that's be ok!:D

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> oh wait, was that speech suppoded to come from the dad? There was no "we" will here you out cause mom did not want to work anything out with dad. She flat out said he needs to go to court if he wants more time whereas he voiced that he wanted to wofk things out between them.
The way she presented herself, I'd not be surprised if she would be happy never letting him visit dad.
I was talking how things SHOULD go. And the mother SHOULD work it out with him and not just "see him in court". That's just stupid. I think they both are handling it badly. No one gets a pass from me in this situation except maybe the kid. He's being willful, trying insert his opinion and independence of decisions (somewhat) but that's what a kid is suppose to do at his age.

(sigh) But so many times things don't go as they should.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
The owner would have squat if there were no workers.

Mt. Greylock

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you win the lotto. Then that's be ok!:D
Yeah, but I have to buy a ticket, and I don't want to waste my money on those odds! It's a quandary! lol.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Lets scale it back a little. Lets say I open a quickie mart. I made the investment and did all the hard work of getting this business off the ground. But I don't have an unlimited supply of time. I can't sleep behind the cash register. Obviously I need to hire one or 2 people to wirk in my store. Should their pay be based on what kind of money I'm bringing in, ie: a piece of the pie? Or should it be based on the value of the service they provide?
I wish more people took your approach when there's a disagreement. Eh, me included. We could learn from how you patiently point out things without degrading someone. I appreciate that.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking how things SHOULD go. And the mother SHOULD work it out with him and not just "see him in court". That's just stupid. I think they both are handling it badly. No one gets a pass from me in this situation except maybe the kid. He's being willful, trying insert his opinion and independence of decisions (somewhat) but that's what a kid is suppose to do at his age.
(sigh) But so many times things don't go as they should.
If more parents would just ask us non parents what to do, your problems would be over! ; )

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

71 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min forks_make_us_fat 1,083,815
Amy 7-31 7 min edogxxx 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min DDDD-25 45,895
Why We will Go to War with Russia 12 min Exactly right 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min Rogue Scholar 05 175,144
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 21 min truthrconsequences 49,014
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 26 min Chicagobunny 1,869
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••