Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90618 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but it's not like you actually get to keep all this money you earn. If you get paid more, you pay more in taxes.
I just got a bonus this past month for an idea of mine and the government took about 42% of my bonus.
I come up with an idea, with my own f'ing brain and society is entitled to 42% of any profit I derive from it. That's fair. Really? No, that's not fair ... that's liberal social justice for you.
Was that 42% for both Feds and State? Any city or local tax?

What do you get for that 42%?

Other than
1, A cop when you call him
2. A firetruck when you need it
3.Clean water
4.Streets which are paved and lighted
5. Maybe garbage pick up
6.Confidence that the food you buy won't poison you or give you parasites
7. Schools for your boys
8 Any special ed services you might need
9. An airport and some guys who keep the planes from running/crashing into each other
10 A library, both local and central which keeps a copy of everything (Library of Congress)
11. A bunch of guys in offices who make sure that that idea of yours isn't ripped off and profited by some pirate
12.A judge and a courthouse in case you get into a disagreement.

That's just off the top of my head. Sounds cheap at 42%

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90619 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>In terms of companies who offshore jobs, Iím not in favor of unfettered free trade. I think a huge problem with the WTO is that there are no standards. It is precisely this fact that causes many companies to send stuff offshore, because if they arenít doing it and their competitors are, they are at a competitive disadvantage if they donít follow suit.
This is exactly how this all works:

Big manufacturing companies, almost never make 100% of the components that go in their products. This is true for boeing, the automotive industry, high tech industry ... many, many industries.

Say I'm a big manufacture and I want component X for an end product of mine. I need a million of them ever year. I go to supplier A, who makes everything in the U.S. he gives me a quote of 6.5 cents per component X. I go to supplier B, who makes component X offshore in China and he gives me a quote of 6.25 cents per component X. Guess who is going to win that bid?

How long do you think supplier A is going to take to figure out that if it wants to stay in business it needs to lower its labor costs and the easiest way to do is set up some company in China or sub-contract in China.

This is what has happened to our manufacturing industry, across the board and while in some industries, you can use automation to offset the labor cost disparities, that really doesnít help American workers either, because they end up being replaced by machines.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90620 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím all for funding trade education and funding higher education in general.
Iím all for free access to birth control.
In terms of companies who offshore jobs, Iím not in favor of unfettered free trade. I think a huge problem with the WTO is that there are no standards. It is precisely this fact that causes many companies to send stuff offshore, because if they arenít doing it and their competitors are, they are at a competitive disadvantage if they donít follow suit. When you have countries with no labor or environmental standards, those are where all the non-high-tech manufacturing jobs are going to go. Iíve seen it Ö Iíve lived it. Many of us have seen it. It started back when my father was in the business world. If you want to solve the problem, you have to know why it happens Ö itís not because some Mr. Burns type is wringing his hands trying to figure out how to buy a bigger boat.
That is something a many folks including a former community organizer wouldnít understand, because they have never worked in a manufacturing business setting, at a high level. At the Presidential level, thatís very problematic because, if you donít understand what causes something you donít care for (I think off shoring is pretty much universally despised), you are ill equipped to find a solution to it.
I agree with this but you make very general statements that I believe don't reflect the many facets of the problem. Believe me, where I live there's a large number of takers around here but I know in different areas the story changes.

And I'm also proud that I can use as many letters on my keyboard as you do.:)
A Noted Observer

Palatine, IL

#90621 Aug 30, 2013
If $15 an hour is "too much" and conservatives also think $7.25 an hour is "too much" and "encroaching on teachers pay" and they suddenly love and respect teachers (maybe firemen too?) then perhaps they should be made aware of "inflation" and how the price of everything has gone up DRAMATICALLY since any point in history and that wages for most people have not.

Just this past presidential election teachers were vilified as "making too much money" and "only working nine months out of the year". That also happened on this page! Now, those same people are afraid that fast food workers might make as much as those over-paid teachers.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90622 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
That is how I meant for it to come out the first time, anyway!
Gotcha! I wasn't sure what you meant!

Location hidden

#90623 Aug 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that 42% for both Feds and State? Any city or local tax?
SS, Medicare, Federal, State.

No city or local income tax Ö I do have real property and personal property tax (cars, boat, motorcycle) at the local level, but taxes down here are nowhere close to what they are back in IL. Iíd easily be paying 4 or 5 times the amount in property tax up there.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you get for that 42%?
Other than
1, A cop when you call him
2. A firetruck when you need it
3.Clean water
4.Streets which are paved and lighted
5. Maybe garbage pick up
6.Confidence that the food you buy won't poison you or give you parasites
7. Schools for your boys
8 Any special ed services you might need
9. An airport and some guys who keep the planes from running/crashing into each other
10 A library, both local and central which keeps a copy of everything (Library of Congress)
11. A bunch of guys in offices who make sure that that idea of yours isn't ripped off and profited by some pirate
12.A judge and a courthouse in case you get into a disagreement.
That's just off the top of my head. Sounds cheap at 42%
1.Iíve never needed the cops. My fists are registered as lethal weapons.:p

2.I have a garden hose, smoke alarms and home owners insurance, worst case scenario.

3.I have well water.

4.But for streets, we'd probably have jetson's cars already.

5.I pay for my own garbage pick up.

6.How safe food is our food? Cooking it properly goes a long way in avoiding parasites.

7. Schools are good, but without taxes I could more easily send them to private school.

8. See 7.

9.I almost always drive, unless it is overseas or business.

10.That would be me.

11.Yeah, but without the judges and the cops, I could quickly solve things with my lethal weapon fists, with impunity. Besides, lawyers are a-holes.:p

Location hidden

#90624 Aug 30, 2013
A Noted Observer wrote:
If $15 an hour is "too much" and conservatives also think $7.25 an hour is "too much" and "encroaching on teachers pay" and they suddenly love and respect teachers (maybe firemen too?) then perhaps they should be made aware of "inflation" and how the price of everything has gone up DRAMATICALLY since any point in history and that wages for most people have not.
I never said $7.25 was too much and I don't think very many conservatives say that either.$7.25 is currently what it is set as.

I think the minimum wage should probably be about $9 and indexed for inflation, as well.$15 an hour is just crazy talk, tho.
A Noted Observer wrote:
Just this past presidential election teachers were vilified as "making too much money" and "only working nine months out of the year". That also happened on this page! Now, those same people are afraid that fast food workers might make as much as those over-paid teachers.
I don't think anyone is afraid they will make that much. It's pie in the sky that they will ever make that much.

Location hidden

#90625 Aug 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this but you make very general statements that I believe don't reflect the many facets of the problem. Believe me, where I live there's a large number of takers around here but I know in different areas the story changes.
And I'm also proud that I can use as many letters on my keyboard as you do.:)
There needs to be built in accountability mechanisms in our welfare programs. It shouldn't just be a free for all and you can live as if you actually earned that money yourself and can keep on the same path, with impunity, that got you there in the first place. Try telling that to many liberals and they say you hate poor people just because you don't want to enable and subsidize poor choices in life.

I type very fast.

Location hidden

#90626 Aug 30, 2013
Alright kids, it's been fun, but I gotta run.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90627 Aug 30, 2013
I am bored. I am trying to go the whole weekend without drinking!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90628 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Alright kids, it's been fun, but I gotta run.
I hope you're running off to a fun holiday weekend!
A Noted Observer

Palatine, IL

#90629 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said $7.25 was too much and I don't think very many conservatives say that either.$7.25 is currently what it is set as.
I think the minimum wage should probably be about $9 and indexed for inflation, as well.$15 an hour is just crazy talk, tho.
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone is afraid they will make that much. It's pie in the sky that they will ever make that much.
That post wasn't addressed to you. Pay attention and stop being so egotesticle as to think the entire thread is about you. THIS post is but, not necessarily the others.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90630 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
With all of Nick's family around? For 3 days?

Might as well just wear a hair shirt.
:D

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90631 Aug 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
You picked a three day weekend to tray and do that??? Wait, and aren't you out today, too??? What the....

I say give up and try next weekend!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90632 Aug 30, 2013
Red -- gotta go with Squishy and Stina. Seriously? Go have a beer or margarita or something!

Location hidden

#90633 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you're running off to a fun holiday weekend!
No, i need to get something finished. My wife has to work tonight, Sunday Night, and Monday NIght. She works 7PM-7AM. So we won't be doing much this weekend. I will probably take the boys on the lake by myself one day, but she'll want to rest during the day and won't feel like being out on the lake all day Sunday before work.

I am getting a bada$s gaming computer from Alienware, tomorrow, tho. So I'll have some fun with that.

Location hidden

#90634 Aug 30, 2013
A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>That post wasn't addressed to you. Pay attention and stop being so egotesticle as to think the entire thread is about you. THIS post is but, not necessarily the others.
Public forum! I can respond to whoever I want to. Don't like it, use email.:p :p :p :p

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#90635 Aug 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There needs to be built in accountability mechanisms in our welfare programs. It shouldn't just be a free for all and you can live as if you actually earned that money yourself and can keep on the same path, with impunity, that got you there in the first place. Try telling that to many liberals and they say you hate poor people just because you don't want to enable and subsidize poor choices in life.
I type very fast.
this is very true, but clinton was the only one who made an effort to stem some welfare entitlements, liberal that he may be. the whole system needs to be revisited.

Location hidden

#90636 Aug 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
With all of Nick's family around? For 3 days?
Might as well just wear a hair shirt.
:D
I laughed even though I don't get he joke!

Location hidden

#90637 Aug 30, 2013
Republicans want to throw the baby out with the bath water and eliminate welfare programs. During welfare reform (you now can receive welfare for ONLY five years over the course of your lifetime), dems pushed to include money to investigate and prosecute fraud but the GOP fought it.

I figure, let dems dole out the money, let the GOP handle fraud investigation and enforcement. Lave alone the people who are using welfare as a stop gap measure, and find those who are milking the system fraudulently and prosecute.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help from current chicago expert 9 min Annastesia 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,277,099
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 35 min woodtick57 196,951
Black lives matter 2 hr nonegs 3
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr IBdaMann 54,547
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 hr Breezy _Soul 1,722
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 6,433
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages