Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90521 Aug 29, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's quite a bit more, though. And presumably, the CEO has a lot more responsibility a lot more experience, a lot more education, etc.
Not to the degree that he needs to makemillions, plus more in bonuses even when his company isn't doing well financially. THe U.S. has the biggest wage gap in the world. We have the biggest wage gap between nurses and doctors as well.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90522 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I am so GD sick of those "ads by zinc" that are popping up on the left side of the screen and only go away if I click the red X.
I wonder what they think they sell by putting something there which is met with irritation and the desire to make it go away. Does anyone really sign up for whatever because they saw the product name 27 times in the margin?
Crunchy Bacon

La Grange, IL

#90523 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's what they are asking for ... they call it social justice. I've been debating others elsewhere and when I pointed that out, they said, well they need to pay nurses more then.
I'm trying to explain that if you give everyone a 200% raise, that just means the cost of labor attributed to whatever good or service they provide will go up by a proportionate amount and we have this thing called inflation. Do that across teh economy and no one gets ahead.
If I get a 20k raise this year, but I end up paying 20k more for all the goods and services I purchase over the course of a year, because the cost of labor has gone up 20k for all those goods and services, I haven't really gotten a raise.
The only way for you to come out as a winner on such a scheme is for you and folks in your profession to get the 200% raise and for no one else or very limited other folks in other professions to get that raise.
In such a situation, while the person getting the raise might be better off, everyone else who doesn't get that 200% raise is worse off, because they will have to pay more when they buy whatever goods or services made or provided by the folks who actually received the 200% raise! Also, if a lot of folks decide that these goods and services now cost too much and no longer purchase them because the cost has gone up because the labor cost has gone up, you could wind up out of a job rather than with a 200% raise.
You know I'm with you on all the republican stuff but, bruh, you just described CEO's and multi million $$$$ bonuses. I back you on everything else but that is just stoopid to point out around all these liberals! THINK!

Location hidden

#90524 Aug 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
She turns 24 in 2 weeks. It would cost her $425/month for COBRA and $450 to be on my policy. Is ACA the group medical through the college? If so, she was on that for a while as an undergrad. I can't remember the premium but the coverage wa awful. There was no drug coverage ( she ha an inhaler) and no b/c coverage. Bills had to be paid by the patient who was eventually reimbursed by teh carrier which was very very slow.
We didn't look to see if there was an insurance exchange set up for PA yet. She is keeping her residency in MD because she is hoping for in-state consideration in med school applications; I don't know if that means she can access an MD insurance exchange. Lots of medical insurance things are on hold until the Oct 1 ACA exchanges kick in. I know something about all this and it is confusing as all get out.
When I was dating someone in grad school, he was able to get onto the school's health insurance program.

Location hidden

#90525 Aug 29, 2013
Wow, whiel I"m all for harsh penalties for people who text while drive then get involved in a crash, NJ wants to go after the person who SENT the text to the driver?

http://www.twincities.com/breakingnews/ci_239...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90526 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if that's what they think, that probably explains why they work at f'ing Mcdonalds.
Mcdonalds CEO has an annual compensation of 13.8 million dollars
McDonalds employes 1.7 million people.
Let's say they pay the CEO nothing, and use all that cost savings to give the the other 1.7 million workers each an annual raise (not to be confused with an hourly raised). That works out to an annual raise of of 8 dollars and 11 cents. Assuming they work on average 25 hours every week of the year, that works out to that is an hourly raise of about a little more than half a penny an hour!!!
Now is this REALLY all about a half a penny an hour raise?
But, hey, let's go full bore commie on McDonalds and let's not just stop with the CEO. After the CEO, ket's also say they pay the next 100 most highly paid folks at Mcdonalds $0.00 annually and lets assume, but for receiving no compensation, they each would have averaged a million a year in compensation, for a grand total of $100 million. If we use that $100 million to give the other 1.7 million workers a raise, that works out to an hourly raise of about 4 cents an hour.
We have a huge pay gap between the C-level folks and the grunts in this country; I'm just suggesting that something could be done about that even if all it produces is good will.

I know, I know, I don't know anything and I'm just a stoopid liberal.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90527 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to the degree that he needs to makemillions, plus more in bonuses even when his company isn't doing well financially. THe U.S. has the biggest wage gap in the world. We have the biggest wage gap between nurses and doctors as well.
That is his total compensation, as in total, as in it doesn't exclude bonuses:

http://insiders.morningstar.com/trading/execu...

Actually the Chairman of the Board makes way more than the CEO.
Holy crap!

I completely agree with you and the Ferret, that these folks are grossly over-compensated.

As my example points out, tho, even if you paid them less and redistributed their income amongst all the other workers, since there is such a large pool of workers, you are only talking a few pennies an hour more in wages for these people. Given this, what's the point in whining about it. It doesn't make folks lives better.

Also, the average McDonalds franchise makes around 150k in profit after taxes and all expenses:

http://www.burgerbusiness.com/...

I don't think that is a ridiculous sum given the cost of a franchise and the responsibility of being an owner.

Location hidden

#90528 Aug 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a huge pay gap between the C-level folks and the grunts in this country; I'm just suggesting that something could be done about that even if all it produces is good will.
I know, I know, I don't know anything and I'm just a stoopid liberal.
Translation: I'm suggesting a feel good measure that will do ABSOLUTELY nothing to make these people's lives better and only sounds like a reasonable solution to income disparities until you actually look at it intelligently and thoughtfully.

Location hidden

#90529 Aug 29, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent points!
Thanks!

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#90530 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was dating someone in grad school, he was able to get onto the school's health insurance program.
There might be some coveraeg available through the school, at least for catastrophic stuff. may or may not cover the day-to-day needs as well, but might keep yuo out of the poor house if she gets into a car accident, for example. i can try to nose around with my industry contacts for more insight...

Evanston IL

#90531 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: I'm suggesting a feel good measure that will do ABSOLUTELY nothing to make these people's lives better and only sounds like a reasonable solution to income disparities until you actually look at it intelligently and thoughtfully.
Yes.

But I don't think that it will do absolutely nothing. I don't have the time nor the inclination to look up all the salaries and bonuses and dividends paid out by the fast food chains, but I'm guessing that all adds up to A LOT of money. And even if that ends up being a 50 cent/hour wage increase, that adds up over time and gives the employee a sense that the company actually cares about them. People don't really like being treated like slaves, yanno.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#90532 Aug 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
She turns 24 in 2 weeks. It would cost her $425/month for COBRA and $450 to be on my policy. Is ACA the group medical through the college? If so, she was on that for a while as an undergrad. I can't remember the premium but the coverage wa awful. There was no drug coverage ( she ha an inhaler) and no b/c coverage. Bills had to be paid by the patient who was eventually reimbursed by teh carrier which was very very slow.
We didn't look to see if there was an insurance exchange set up for PA yet. She is keeping her residency in MD because she is hoping for in-state consideration in med school applications; I don't know if that means she can access an MD insurance exchange. Lots of medical insurance things are on hold until the Oct 1 ACA exchanges kick in. I know something about all this and it is confusing as all get out.
I don't really understand how it all works. The exchanges (ACA) should give her choices at an affordable rate, maybe even fully subsidized, at least that's how I was reading it, depending on her yearly income. And, yeas student insurance blows. Only barely better than nothing and to he honest nothing might be better in some circumstances. I don't understand why she has to pay for COBRA to stay on your policy though.

Whenever that went into effect, Chris who was 21 and had just been dropped got a letter from the HMO (I got one too) saying that because of the new law he was reinstated and it cost neither of us anything more than it always had because it wasn't COBRA, it was just as if he's never not had it.

As for paying to be on your policy I thought that's kinda what changing it to the age 26 thing was about...keeping young people covered without costing anyone an arm and a leg. You shouldn't be paying anymore than you already were while she was on the policy before she aged out...at least that's how I understood it and how my experience with it went.

I would think that her residence would decide which exchange she wold use. If she's officially a MD resident then I would think it would go through MD. I guess it will be transferable if someone moves? Will someone moving to another state have to go to the new state exchange and start from square one?

Location hidden

#90533 Aug 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing
YEs, that's exactly the problem ... you are guessing ... shooting from the hip ... stabbing in the dark. That's precisely the problem ... you aren't informed and have no clue what you are talking about. It's called a knee jerk ... ask the Chinese how that worked out when Mao did that?

Case in point, most fast food restaurants are franchises ... they aren't owned by the head corporation, but rather individuals. Therefore there are no dividends or shareholders. Rather there are individuals who shelled out a million dollars of their own money to buy a franchise that they run as an owner ... to make on average 150k a year.
Crunchy Bacon

La Grange, IL

#90534 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
YEs, that's exactly the problem ... you are guessing ... shooting from the hip ... stabbing in the dark. That's precisely the problem ... you aren't informed and have no clue what you are talking about. It's called a knee jerk ... ask the Chinese how that worked out when Mao did that?
Case in point, most fast food restaurants are franchises ... they aren't owned by the head corporation, but rather individuals. Therefore there are no dividends or shareholders. Rather there are individuals who shelled out a million dollars of their own money to buy a franchise that they run as an owner ... to make on average 150k a year.
OK now thats not helping either. You make the franchisees look pretty dumb for spending so much to make so little. Step up bruh or get to stepping!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#90535 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Wow, whiel I"m all for harsh penalties for people who text while drive then get involved in a crash, NJ wants to go after the person who SENT the text to the driver?
http://www.twincities.com/breakingnews/ci_239...
They were talking about this on the radio when I was on my way home. One caller said something rather interesting. While he agreed this proposal was ridiculous, 20 years ago, no one thought about going after the bartender who served a guy drinks who later ended up in a crash. 20 years ago, no one thought about going after the tobacco companies because smokers were getting cancer.

This is just another sign of the changing times. Not to get political, but it's the liberal mantra again: No one is responsible for their own behavior, there's always someone to blame.

So while this sounds ridiculous at the onset, I wouldn't be surprised if there was eventual legislation. Texting someone who happens to be driving, can make YOU liable for any damages.

Evanston IL

#90539 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
McDonald's is privately owned?

Yeah, just checked and it's not. But I'm not prepared to argue with you about this. I don't feel like taking all the abuse.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90540 Aug 29, 2013
Natasfonos wrote:
<quoted text>
That's stupid. The receiver has every opportunity to ignore the text.
WTF is wrong with America where no one can accept responsibility for their own actions?
This has nothing to do with accepting responsibilities for your own actions. Its not like the driver tried to blame the sender of the message. He didn't file the lawsuit. The family of the victim did. This is a case of the family of the victim taking aim at anyone involved in any way in the death of their loved one.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#90541 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked with a guy who was a girls' volleyball coach. He told me that junior and high school girls behaved in a way to elicit a response from him, and some were VERY provocative, Including removing clothing or trying to initiate conversations about sex to the degree that he had a strict rule: Never be alone in a room with any of the girls. Ever. And the entire gymnasium was included in that "room" rule.
And he said there was one consistency among them: The most poorly behaving girls did not have still-married parents. He saw their behavior as a result of not having a loving, involved dad in their lives to show them how men should treat women and how women should behave toward men.
I concur. See it daily...the correlation is very strong.
Also find my honors kids have 2 parent homes moreso than my regular kids...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90542 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
It varies by school. There is a national clearing house that offer a master policy and each college gets to choose the plan it wants to subscribe to for the students. The kids pay the premium though. She ws on it for a while as an undergrad and it really sucked. Other schools may offer different plans. The Obamacare exchanges will likley have a big impact here concerning availability and pricing of coverage.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#90543 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And the other side is this grown adult has no character and you do. They've got to start having training, then, if it's so difficult for some people to handle and emphasize the importance of setting boundaries with the students.
I don't think there is anything a 14 year old could do or say that would lead me to think it's okay to have sex with that 14 year old.
I don't disagree, and I think I was pretty clear about that in my OP.
And there IS training (ethics) they get in college and as a new teacher, but these are humans and humans are evil and full of misguided judgement, and they are in every profession.
But if TEACHER is in the headline, it's more scandalous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Patricangelily 1,115,468
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Patriot AKA Bozo 47,053
Amy - 9-29-2014 17 min Mister Tonka 33
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 22 min Eric 69,537
Rattlesnake Logic 26 min LogicThatBITES 4
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 42 min Cali Girl 2014 50,053
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 59 min Rogue Scholar 05 178,612

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]