Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

I had not thought of that. I have disabled flash, it is a cpu hog and it's annoying as hell.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have both Firefox and IE on this computer. Topix gives me grief all the time, but it is pretty clear that it is an Adobe/Flash issue.
Try going to teh Adobe site and making sure you have teh latest version o that including Flash. Flash is real vulnerable to hackers and takes up a lot of CPU so they often do updates in the background/overnight and seems to always require a re-start. You may have missed one. Its an easy fix which won't disturb functionality. This ems to be a bigger problem on computers where I don't turn the whole thing off overnight
Or, as the IT guy says, don't call me until you have re-booted which seems to be the equivalent of take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it that you don't like root beer or that you don't like the whole float thing?
Both. My mom would make coke floats when I was a kid. I've made them with strawberry crush and orange crush for kids that didn't like root beer. I can't imagine mixing pop and ice cream together. And when you take my lactose intolerance and add in a high sensitivity to carbonation and caffeine, I won't be able to leave the house for two days if I have a soda pop float.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

I switched to chrome recently at work and at home and it seeme dto fix some small annoyances I'd been having.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Something amusing from Lamebook. I thought PE might appreciate it:

http://www.lamebook.com/true-freedom/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
So, what does everyone think of the fast food worker strike?
Personally, if they want to unionize great but $15hr seems redicelous for making fries, and Yes I have worked for BK and I know what the job entials, and it aint worth $15.
i agree with you. Its unskilled labor. I see them complaining that thwy can't support their family on what they mke If you work at mcdonald's, perhaps starting a family is not the wisest decision. It should not be mcdonald's responsibility to pay for your poor choicrs in life.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I see in the local papers/ websites, somewhere around age 12-14 the child custody judge will start having a private meeting with the kid away from either parent to get the kids input. Younger than 12, they won't. There have been some fights where the mom wants the judge to do that for a 9 year old but it is pretty clear the mo has set the kid up. The judge can appoint a neutral like referee to watch for the younger kids interests.
Apparently some enterprising people have started a "no mans zone" where the kids can be dropped off and picked up, and communication between the parents goes through the service, not sure about the child support. Sounds like the custody version of PayPal, but there is a market for the services.
If you want to read how bad it can get, Google Dwayne Wade divorce custody. Although he plays in Miami , he is from Chicago as is his ex so it is in the Chicago papers on a regular basis. One of her stunts is that whenever she had to send the kids to him for visitation, she would take them to an ER claiming they were sick. She lost custody and still fights.
they've been doing that for a long time, acutaly - the neutral zone visitation. growing up, i had friends who were foster kids (mom was teh worse one, dad was no peach either), and their visitation was at a church. it was kinda sorta related to the particular child services group who handled their foster care case. its been more recently taht i've heard of independent offices with teh sole purpose of being the site for visitation.

often enoguh, i see a car or two off in the corner of this one gas station we pass on teh way home from my parents after dinner. one adult and two kids in one, or just one adult in the ohter. i can only assume it's the halfway point between mom & dad's and the custody hand off takes place there.

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Both. My mom would make coke floats when I was a kid. I've made them with strawberry crush and orange crush for kids that didn't like root beer. I can't imagine mixing pop and ice cream together. And when you take my lactose intolerance and add in a high sensitivity to carbonation and caffeine, I won't be able to leave the house for two days if I have a soda pop float.
uh, yeah, that sounds like the perfect storm of GI issues...

BTW, how are your wrists doing? i wake up about once a week an my hands are all scrunched up. since hearing about your problems, i make a very conscious effort to not do taht any more...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I can see why you don't like them!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Dad should have helped how? Physically? He brought the kid back. Kid did not want to exit. When mom started a forceful attempt and the kid put up a fight, cop said it was headed to a domestic disturbance. I don't see how judge can come down on dad, especially since he video'd the whole thing including 2 cops telling him he was free to leave and him still sticking around even longer till they both assured him he could leave.
Cops should have told him to get out? I think they might have. And he ignored that request just like he ignored mom's.
Any other ideas on how to force him out of the car without using force?
Not to you but the kid:

Get out of the GD car NOW or you're grounded for 2 weeks. You show respect to me and your mother and listen to your parents. You are NOT in charge of things here and you better learn this quick. We will hear you out and consider what you say but you are not going to call the shots.

Then, if he still doesn't get out of the car, he ain't going anywhere for those 2 weeks.

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

re LW1 on Prudie - my friend;s sister just had her first child earlier this week, and my friend found out a month ago that she's pregnant again. nearing 40, 13 & 16 YO kids already.

i'm trying to get over the ick factor that she actually "did it" with her husband when i coulda sworn she hasn't liked him "that way" for a few years. The stories i coudl tell.

but, she's just as happy aobut a baby as she is (i think) a little scared to start the baby thing over again at this stage of life. she will do well. i just hope she doesnt turn her 17 YO (daughter) into 2nd mommy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i agree with you. Its unskilled labor. I see them complaining that thwy can't support their family on what they mke If you work at mcdonald's, perhaps starting a family is not the wisest decision. It should not be mcdonald's responsibility to pay for your poor choicrs in life.
I can get behind that.

Ithink working a crappy low-wage job often is motivation for making other choices (work training, education) so you're not still doing that work at 40.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Heh, all the fast food workers are striking for wages of $15 an hour ... i hope they get it ... that way my wife won't have to go to nursing school to start off making $19-20 an hour. She can just get a job at McDonalds and in the 2 or 3 years it will take to get her degree, she'll be making 17 buck an hour. Nobody ever thinks of these things, tho.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
uh, yeah, that sounds like the perfect storm of GI issues...
BTW, how are your wrists doing? i wake up about once a week an my hands are all scrunched up. since hearing about your problems, i make a very conscious effort to not do taht any more...
The problem is completely gone. I am THRILLED that wearing wrist braces for a month or two did the trick.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
Get out of the GD car NOW or you're grounded for 2 weeks. You show respect to me and your mother and listen to your parents. You are NOT in charge of things here and you better learn this quick. We will hear you out and consider what you say but you are not going to call the shots.
Then, if he still doesn't get out of the car, he ain't going anywhere for those 2 weeks.
I think dad didn't get hard ass on his kid because he sympathizes and doesn't want the force the kid to have to go to mom's house. I don't necessarily blame him. J ust that he isn't terribly motivated to take it to defcon 10.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Ha!
Funny thing is, On Monday I forgot to include an attachment with an email, and when the person emailed back "no attachment", I told them I had included the invisible attachment by mistake, and was now sending the visible one.

Oh, and FWIW topix is not telling me about updates today.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

That sounds like something edog would spew, er say.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
well, he didn't get out and according to the description below the video, he's been living with dad since then(i think it got posted in june).

Now what?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
oh wait, was that speech suppoded to come from the dad? There was no "we" will here you out cause mom did not want to work anything out with dad. She flat out said he needs to go to court if he wants more time whereas he voiced that he wanted to wofk things out between them.

The way she presented herself, I'd not be surprised if she would be happy never letting him visit dad.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Something amusing from Lamebook. I thought PE might appreciate it:
http://www.lamebook.com/true-freedom/
Hah!

She just finished filling out her first FAFSA
I helped he make out a realistic budget when she was home.
Its taken a while but my little baby is growing up.
Bucket of cold water on her head as she figured out she had to cover her own medical insurance either through COBRA or an independent policy.

The comments at the bottom and the d are a real good reminder why I don't go there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 89,141 - 89,160 of97,429
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,071,581
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min LRS 173,553
Abby 7-10 11 min Nigbama 11
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 50 min headlinesYTube 68,122
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Washington DC 45,439
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014 48,682
Amy 7-10 2 hr Julie 8
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••