Comments
89,121 - 89,140 of 97,948 Comments Last updated 23 hrs ago

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90475 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
This week's Dear Prudence column:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...
..."not married, but deeply committed"....He does'nt sound that way....Should'nt he be talking to the partner?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90476 Aug 29, 2013
So, what does everyone think of the fast food worker strike?
Personally, if they want to unionize great but $15hr seems redicelous for making fries, and Yes I have worked for BK and I know what the job entials, and it aint worth $15.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90477 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
The judge will probably come down hard on the dad for not helping get the kid inside when his visitation was over. The father doesn't have custody and the kid is a minor so the cop should have told the kid to get inside. The kid doesn't get to decide.
Dad should have helped how? Physically? He brought the kid back. Kid did not want to exit. When mom started a forceful attempt and the kid put up a fight, cop said it was headed to a domestic disturbance. I don't see how judge can come down on dad, especially since he video'd the whole thing including 2 cops telling him he was free to leave and him still sticking around even longer till they both assured him he could leave.

Cops should have told him to get out? I think they might have. And he ignored that request just like he ignored mom's.

Any other ideas on how to force him out of the car without using force?

Neda, stay with me!

#90478 Aug 29, 2013
Root beer floats....MMMMMmmmmm. Yup, thats on this weekends menu now!
And a good camper would be able to make corn bread over a fire, and they would taste so great with melted butter. You really should.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
FINALLY have decided on what to contribute to the Labor Day potluck we do with the cabin next door. Usually there's a theme, but people have not gotten organized so it's sort of a free-for-all. I was going to do corn bread, but I'd have to make it tonight, and we don't have the party until Saturday -- it'd be too dry by then. Then we thought veggie tray, but I can't make a veggie tray without it costing at LEAST $20, which is more than I want to spend, especially when I won't eat raw veggies.
Then I suggested root beer floats and Nick loved it. Whew. No work, really, and people can fix their own. I just provide the fixings.
I won't eat root beer floats, either, but the kids will love 'em.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90479 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
This week's Dear Prudence column:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...
LW1:ďYou simply are at the vanguard of a life change that in a few years will be sweeping across your friends. Theyíll be deep in diapers, while youíll be the one sleeping through the night ... But one of the great advantages of having a child early is that you will still be young when she is grown.Ē

That's really the key for him, since he feels the way he does ... he needs to keep this in mind.

I was a similar age as he was when we started having kids. But, when Iím 45 all my kids will be 18 or older and weíll have a hell of a lot more $$ to blow on fun things than we did when we were in our 20s.

Unless something unforeseen happens, Ill also be around to be active with any grandchildren and possibly around long enough to be more than just stuck in the corner in my wheel chair should there be great grandchildren.

Unlike him, tho, Iíve always had at least some me time and more balance.

LW2: I donít think you can do much more than you have tried.

LW3: Just donít do any couples activities with him and his gf.

LW4: I donít think anyone else pays nearly the amount of attention that you do to the graphics of these presentations.

Neda, stay with me!

#90480 Aug 29, 2013
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox?
j_m_w wrote:
Ang, that's super annoying about Nick's sister and movie-watching!
Topix on my home computer is fine and it's still messed up on my work computer (both IE and Firefox). I hate it, it makes it so much more difficult to participate.
:(

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90481 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
FINALLY have decided on what to contribute to the Labor Day potluck we do with the cabin next door. Usually there's a theme, but people have not gotten organized so it's sort of a free-for-all. I was going to do corn bread, but I'd have to make it tonight, and we don't have the party until Saturday -- it'd be too dry by then. Then we thought veggie tray, but I can't make a veggie tray without it costing at LEAST $20, which is more than I want to spend, especially when I won't eat raw veggies.
Then I suggested root beer floats and Nick loved it. Whew. No work, really, and people can fix their own. I just provide the fixings.
I won't eat root beer floats, either, but the kids will love 'em.
Is it that you don't like root beer or that you don't like the whole float thing?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90482 Aug 29, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. From what I understand, though, in FL the kids don't have a lot of say so.
From what I see in the local papers/ websites, somewhere around age 12-14 the child custody judge will start having a private meeting with the kid away from either parent to get the kids input. Younger than 12, they won't. There have been some fights where the mom wants the judge to do that for a 9 year old but it is pretty clear the mo has set the kid up. The judge can appoint a neutral like referee to watch for the younger kids interests.

Apparently some enterprising people have started a "no mans zone" where the kids can be dropped off and picked up, and communication between the parents goes through the service, not sure about the child support. Sounds like the custody version of PayPal, but there is a market for the services.

If you want to read how bad it can get, Google Dwayne Wade divorce custody. Although he plays in Miami , he is from Chicago as is his ex so it is in the Chicago papers on a regular basis. One of her stunts is that whenever she had to send the kids to him for visitation, she would take them to an ER claiming they were sick. She lost custody and still fights.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#90483 Aug 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox?
<quoted text>
No... but I should. I didn't think the problem was related to Firefox since it's happening in IE also but it can't hurt to try.

I have a fantasy football draft this evening so I don't want to risk messing up Flash, etc. but I'll do it over the weekend. Thanks!(I know... duh)

“Just laughing”

Since: Mar 11

Erte, Le Soleil

#90484 Aug 29, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
No... but I should. I didn't think the problem was related to Firefox since it's happening in IE also but it can't hurt to try.
I have a fantasy football draft this evening so I don't want to risk messing up Flash, etc. but I'll do it over the weekend. Thanks!(I know... duh)
Hi jmw. You might try Chrome. I find that to be safer and more stable than IE or Firefox.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90485 Aug 29, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I have both Firefox and IE on this computer. Topix gives me grief all the time, but it is pretty clear that it is an Adobe/Flash issue.

Try going to teh Adobe site and making sure you have teh latest version o that including Flash. Flash is real vulnerable to hackers and takes up a lot of CPU so they often do updates in the background/overnight and seems to always require a re-start. You may have missed one. Its an easy fix which won't disturb functionality. This ems to be a bigger problem on computers where I don't turn the whole thing off overnight

Or, as the IT guy says, don't call me until you have re-booted which seems to be the equivalent of take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning

Neda, stay with me!

#90486 Aug 29, 2013
I had not thought of that. I have disabled flash, it is a cpu hog and it's annoying as hell.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have both Firefox and IE on this computer. Topix gives me grief all the time, but it is pretty clear that it is an Adobe/Flash issue.
Try going to teh Adobe site and making sure you have teh latest version o that including Flash. Flash is real vulnerable to hackers and takes up a lot of CPU so they often do updates in the background/overnight and seems to always require a re-start. You may have missed one. Its an easy fix which won't disturb functionality. This ems to be a bigger problem on computers where I don't turn the whole thing off overnight
Or, as the IT guy says, don't call me until you have re-booted which seems to be the equivalent of take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90487 Aug 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it that you don't like root beer or that you don't like the whole float thing?
Both. My mom would make coke floats when I was a kid. I've made them with strawberry crush and orange crush for kids that didn't like root beer. I can't imagine mixing pop and ice cream together. And when you take my lactose intolerance and add in a high sensitivity to carbonation and caffeine, I won't be able to leave the house for two days if I have a soda pop float.

Location hidden

#90488 Aug 29, 2013
I switched to chrome recently at work and at home and it seeme dto fix some small annoyances I'd been having.

Location hidden

#90489 Aug 29, 2013
Something amusing from Lamebook. I thought PE might appreciate it:

http://www.lamebook.com/true-freedom/

Location hidden

#90490 Aug 29, 2013

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90491 Aug 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, what does everyone think of the fast food worker strike?
Personally, if they want to unionize great but $15hr seems redicelous for making fries, and Yes I have worked for BK and I know what the job entials, and it aint worth $15.
i agree with you. Its unskilled labor. I see them complaining that thwy can't support their family on what they mke If you work at mcdonald's, perhaps starting a family is not the wisest decision. It should not be mcdonald's responsibility to pay for your poor choicrs in life.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#90492 Aug 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I see in the local papers/ websites, somewhere around age 12-14 the child custody judge will start having a private meeting with the kid away from either parent to get the kids input. Younger than 12, they won't. There have been some fights where the mom wants the judge to do that for a 9 year old but it is pretty clear the mo has set the kid up. The judge can appoint a neutral like referee to watch for the younger kids interests.
Apparently some enterprising people have started a "no mans zone" where the kids can be dropped off and picked up, and communication between the parents goes through the service, not sure about the child support. Sounds like the custody version of PayPal, but there is a market for the services.
If you want to read how bad it can get, Google Dwayne Wade divorce custody. Although he plays in Miami , he is from Chicago as is his ex so it is in the Chicago papers on a regular basis. One of her stunts is that whenever she had to send the kids to him for visitation, she would take them to an ER claiming they were sick. She lost custody and still fights.
they've been doing that for a long time, acutaly - the neutral zone visitation. growing up, i had friends who were foster kids (mom was teh worse one, dad was no peach either), and their visitation was at a church. it was kinda sorta related to the particular child services group who handled their foster care case. its been more recently taht i've heard of independent offices with teh sole purpose of being the site for visitation.

often enoguh, i see a car or two off in the corner of this one gas station we pass on teh way home from my parents after dinner. one adult and two kids in one, or just one adult in the ohter. i can only assume it's the halfway point between mom & dad's and the custody hand off takes place there.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#90493 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Both. My mom would make coke floats when I was a kid. I've made them with strawberry crush and orange crush for kids that didn't like root beer. I can't imagine mixing pop and ice cream together. And when you take my lactose intolerance and add in a high sensitivity to carbonation and caffeine, I won't be able to leave the house for two days if I have a soda pop float.
uh, yeah, that sounds like the perfect storm of GI issues...

BTW, how are your wrists doing? i wake up about once a week an my hands are all scrunched up. since hearing about your problems, i make a very conscious effort to not do taht any more...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90494 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I can see why you don't like them!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,101,122
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min LRS 177,507
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 54 min Frijoles 69,062
Laser Weapon 500mW Green Dazzler 1 hr Use this on you 1
Crack and the Social, Moral, and Economic Decay... 1 hr THE CRACKHEADS 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr SLY WEST 302
Second man charged in May homicide that left mo... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000