“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90461 Aug 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I will admit, I watched it thru the biased eyes of a father. I imagine, a woman (Stina maybe since she's got the divorced single mother perspective) might be less sympathetic toward the father and identify with the woman in the video. I don't doubt she loves her son and having him not want to live with her was likely ripping her heart out.
I haven't watched the video but I can tell you that as a teenager I begged my parents to let me move in with my grandparents just so I could get away from them. I put it just about that way, too if I recall. My parents were not divorced or separated. I may well have done that as a means of causing my mother grief.I am not proud of the episode; my older daughter pulled something similar. We offered her a weet 16 party and she said only if I left town for it. Told her , No, that was unacceptable. She, ah declined the party. Four years later hen the same offer was made to the younger one who accepted, older daughter grouched that she hadn't had one.Being reminded did not stop her from claiming favoritism. It has more to do with being a teenager than being in the tumultuous situation described in the video, but you need to have a lot of self confidence as a parent to know that.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90462 Aug 28, 2013
Red-

How are you going to get the ice cream up to the cabin? Which brand of root beer will you get?

Is it better or worse that you are up there with people you are not related to?

FWIW, I was reading the Al Jazeera website about the state of healthcare on Indian reservations. They cited the Department of Justice for statistics on rape on the reservations as 1 in 3 which was more than twice as many than the general population. CDC cited the general population rate as 1 in 4. I am still checking.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90463 Aug 28, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Red-
How are you going to get the ice cream up to the cabin? Which brand of root beer will you get?
Is it better or worse that you are up there with people you are not related to?
FWIW, I was reading the Al Jazeera website about the state of healthcare on Indian reservations. They cited the Department of Justice for statistics on rape on the reservations as 1 in 3 which was more than twice as many than the general population. CDC cited the general population rate as 1 in 4. I am still checking.
ice cream: There is a nicely stocked grocery store (/bait shop) in a nearby town. I don't drink root beer, so I'll let Nick pick that.

It's not so bad. I just limit my time spent with his sister. Enjoy her while she's pleasant, after she chews out her husband (always in a weird patronizing voice but she thinks she's using therapistspeak) a couple of times, step away and get a drink and something to do or read.

She's so annoying, when she fishes with us on the boat I bring my ipod and earbuds. She was kind of mad/insulted when she found that out on the boat, but Nick and I both try to limit conversation when fishing. Voices carry, it's a time to reflect on other things or on nothing. If Nick's mom were on the boat, I'd have to do the same thing.

Nick warned me to never agree to watch a movie with her. She talks through every movie, asks questions, makes comments, etc. She will warn you about what's about to happen if she's already seen it!

Location hidden

#90464 Aug 28, 2013
Oh -- the movie comment was about Nick's mom. Only her husband will watch a movie with her -- no one else will!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#90465 Aug 29, 2013

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#90466 Aug 29, 2013
Ang, that's super annoying about Nick's sister and movie-watching!

Topix on my home computer is fine and it's still messed up on my work computer (both IE and Firefox). I hate it, it makes it so much more difficult to participate.
:(

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90467 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I think Stina also would identify more with the *reasonable* parent, not by gender, since she seems reasonable. I mean, I remember a couple of negative things about her ex, and we all vent in here about someone close to us/in our lives, but it's not like she's gone ragey on him in here. That tells me she's a reasonable person, and a reasonable person to co-parent with.
Thanks for considering me reasonable!:D

I didn't watch the video for lack of time, but from the synopsis, it sounds like the mom is way out of line. OBviously, there is a reason that the kid doensn't want to be there and the fact that she is calling the real dad by the first name and step dad as "dad" is a good peek into why. There are things you can "think" that you have to hold your tongue from saying.

Look, my ex hasn't had an actual job in over 5 years. He hasn't paid much of ANYTHING to my daughter's care in over 5 years. I got him to contribute $100 towards a dental issue, I got $10 one month towards her musical instrument rental (yes, once) and he has bought her 2 pairs of sneakers. I have a lot of "not so pleasant thoughts". But I use every ounce of strength not to vent my anger around my daughter. I do not attempt to keep them from each other because I don't feel that is fair to HER. I get frustrated that she doesn't see a good work ethic, so I try to model and teach her that much more (and I have a lot of help from my very stable, hard-working parents). But she loves her dad and I have to smile and deal for her sake. She knows a lot about who he is because she is insightful, but she is figuring it out on her own. It's best when he and I can get along and show up to school events or discuss times when she has issues and that she can see us figuring out how to work together (even if I *do* want to hit him with a frying pan most of the time). She wants to be with me more, so last year we moved from 50/50 to 2/3 and 1/3. And I know she wants one more day a week with me and that may happen. But he is always welcome and expected at her events and such.

It sounds like the mom in this video completely lost it. And then to try and coerce the other kids to get involved and trying to reach into the car. And it doesn't even sound like she was being sane enough to say, "Hey, let's all sit down for a half hour and talk about this and see what we can come up with". Of course, I think this situation has probably long passed that point! It's pretty bad when police have to be involved. What a mess for teh kids!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90468 Aug 29, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Never would I support this, nor do I think the girl should be raked through the mud and the teacher excused.
I just want to offer some perspective from the inside. These kids are more aggressive than some realize. No, I do NOT condone this or use it to excuse, I just feel many teachers don't go into teaching to prey on youngsters.
For the girls, I think they get some attention and can't separate their emotions from the age of the person giving it. I have had 8th graders give me their freaking phone number before!! They are ridiculous. Obviously, I threw it away and handled it appropriately, but someone insecure and/or in an unhappy marriage would start to enjoy the attention and the lines would blur.
Again, please don't think I'm excusing it. I am not. I just want to offer it from another side.
And the other side is this grown adult has no character and you do. They've got to start having training, then, if it's so difficult for some people to handle and emphasize the importance of setting boundaries with the students.

I don't think there is anything a 14 year old could do or say that would lead me to think it's okay to have sex with that 14 year old.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90469 Aug 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>you should check out the video I posted last night.
If not, here are the highlights:
-dad brings kids back after visitation
-14 year old does not want to get out of the car
-dad videoing the incident
-she accuses dad of poisoning him(verbally) and that's why he does not want to get out of car
-kid tries to remain calm through whole thing
-mom saying if dad wants more time in the custody arrangement, he can go to the judge.
-dad don't have the money to go thru all the legal proceedings, willing to work out something with her, but she's not having it
-while talking to the kid, she refers to the new husband(in the background) as dad and refers to dad by his name
-she has the attitude that things are great then he goes to his dad's and comes back different, to which he responds that's not true and that they fight every night when he's there and there's no fighting at dad's
-accuses her of hitting him and jacking him up against the wall with her hand on his throat during one argument(cops were there at that point at her request)
-she tried using his siblings to guilt him into getting out of the car
-claims she does not feel he's safe at the father's house even for visitation(and she claimed HE was poisoning the kid on her)
End result, cops said this is a civil matter. We can't force him out of the car, and when she tried to force her way in and open the car, kid rolled the window up on her arm and blocked her. Cops then said if it continued down that road, it would become a domestic disturbance and at that point he definitely would not be able to stay there. Cops told dad he was free to leave with the kid.
Like I said, it was a long video, and even though I jumped through it, it was still very interesting.
I feel for the dad, but I don't. It doesn't cost anything to put a motion into court and request more visitation (well, maybe $25 for filing fees). The lawyer costs money. There are tons of advocacy groups and perhaps since this has gone public one will help him get a pro bono lawyer.

Also, the cops are full of crap. The judge will probably come down hard on the dad for not helping get the kid inside when his visitation was over. The father doesn't have custody and the kid is a minor so the cop should have told the kid to get inside. The kid doesn't get to decide.

The cops don't like to get in the middle of the divorce/custody issues and I can understand that. The father could be poisoning the child's mind against the mother and the mother might be the worst mother in the world. In this situation it does sound like the mother is a real piece of work and not in a good way. Judges will listen to a kid in these situations.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90470 Aug 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, it was a long video, and even though I jumped through it, it was still very interesting.
I think by the time you are 14 you should have the major say in which parent you want to live with, absent abuse or neglect. I think most judges would take that approach too if a child were as adamant as he is about not living with her.

Mom failed to realize this ... she thought that some court order, that was probably years old, gave her the absolute power to do and act however she chooses, regardless of the affect of these things on her son and how it would make him feel about living with her. She went so far as to ask for the police to press charges against her for battery or assault (I forget), if it meant he would have to get out of the car. Really, what a f'ing witch, IMO.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90471 Aug 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't watched the video but I can tell you that as a teenager I begged my parents to let me move in with my grandparents just so I could get away from them. I put it just about that way, too if I recall. My parents were not divorced or separated. I may well have done that as a means of causing my mother grief.I am not proud of the episode; my older daughter pulled something similar. We offered her a weet 16 party and she said only if I left town for it. Told her , No, that was unacceptable. She, ah declined the party. Four years later hen the same offer was made to the younger one who accepted, older daughter grouched that she hadn't had one.Being reminded did not stop her from claiming favoritism. It has more to do with being a teenager than being in the tumultuous situation described in the video, but you need to have a lot of self confidence as a parent to know that.
I have to agree with this. Until you have a teenager that pulls crap like this, you don't believe it. You think it's the parents. The payoff comes later when they're older and they are so glad you were their parent and not like a friend. They realize later that they needed a parent and not a friend letting them do as they please. A divorce makes it messy if one parents wants to blame the other and then the kid can create real havoc.

Flipside of the coin -- the kid could be levelheaded and what he's saying is true.

Ah, sticky situations! Not easy to really know unless you're living it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90472 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think by the time you are 14 you should have the major say in which parent you want to live with, absent abuse or neglect. I think most judges would take that approach too if a child were as adamant as he is about not living with her.
Mom failed to realize this ... she thought that some court order, that was probably years old, gave her the absolute power to do and act however she chooses, regardless of the affect of these things on her son and how it would make him feel about living with her. She went so far as to ask for the police to press charges against her for battery or assault (I forget), if it meant he would have to get out of the car. Really, what a f'ing witch, IMO.
I agree. From what I understand, though, in FL the kids don't have a lot of say so.

Location hidden

#90473 Aug 29, 2013
This week's Dear Prudence column:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90474 Aug 29, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for considering me reasonable!:D
I didn't watch the video for lack of time, but from the synopsis, it sounds like the mom is way out of line. OBviously, there is a reason that the kid doensn't want to be there and the fact that she is calling the real dad by the first name and step dad as "dad" is a good peek into why. There are things you can "think" that you have to hold your tongue from saying.
Look, my ex hasn't had an actual job in over 5 years. He hasn't paid much of ANYTHING to my daughter's care in over 5 years. I got him to contribute $100 towards a dental issue, I got $10 one month towards her musical instrument rental (yes, once) and he has bought her 2 pairs of sneakers. I have a lot of "not so pleasant thoughts". But I use every ounce of strength not to vent my anger around my daughter. I do not attempt to keep them from each other because I don't feel that is fair to HER. I get frustrated that she doesn't see a good work ethic, so I try to model and teach her that much more (and I have a lot of help from my very stable, hard-working parents). But she loves her dad and I have to smile and deal for her sake. She knows a lot about who he is because she is insightful, but she is figuring it out on her own. It's best when he and I can get along and show up to school events or discuss times when she has issues and that she can see us figuring out how to work together (even if I *do* want to hit him with a frying pan most of the time). She wants to be with me more, so last year we moved from 50/50 to 2/3 and 1/3. And I know she wants one more day a week with me and that may happen. But he is always welcome and expected at her events and such.
It sounds like the mom in this video completely lost it. And then to try and coerce the other kids to get involved and trying to reach into the car. And it doesn't even sound like she was being sane enough to say, "Hey, let's all sit down for a half hour and talk about this and see what we can come up with". Of course, I think this situation has probably long passed that point! It's pretty bad when police have to be involved. What a mess for teh kids!
in spite of the details i posted, i do think the mom kept her cpmposure for the most part. She did suggest sitting down to discuss it, but she meant ger out of the car, come inside, and we'll talk. That did not mean dad comes in to discuss too. And that was not gonna happen cause kid did not want to get out of car.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90475 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
..."not married, but deeply committed"....He does'nt sound that way....Should'nt he be talking to the partner?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90476 Aug 29, 2013
So, what does everyone think of the fast food worker strike?
Personally, if they want to unionize great but $15hr seems redicelous for making fries, and Yes I have worked for BK and I know what the job entials, and it aint worth $15.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90477 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
The judge will probably come down hard on the dad for not helping get the kid inside when his visitation was over. The father doesn't have custody and the kid is a minor so the cop should have told the kid to get inside. The kid doesn't get to decide.
Dad should have helped how? Physically? He brought the kid back. Kid did not want to exit. When mom started a forceful attempt and the kid put up a fight, cop said it was headed to a domestic disturbance. I don't see how judge can come down on dad, especially since he video'd the whole thing including 2 cops telling him he was free to leave and him still sticking around even longer till they both assured him he could leave.

Cops should have told him to get out? I think they might have. And he ignored that request just like he ignored mom's.

Any other ideas on how to force him out of the car without using force?

Neda, stay with me!

#90478 Aug 29, 2013
Root beer floats....MMMMMmmmmm. Yup, thats on this weekends menu now!
And a good camper would be able to make corn bread over a fire, and they would taste so great with melted butter. You really should.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
FINALLY have decided on what to contribute to the Labor Day potluck we do with the cabin next door. Usually there's a theme, but people have not gotten organized so it's sort of a free-for-all. I was going to do corn bread, but I'd have to make it tonight, and we don't have the party until Saturday -- it'd be too dry by then. Then we thought veggie tray, but I can't make a veggie tray without it costing at LEAST $20, which is more than I want to spend, especially when I won't eat raw veggies.
Then I suggested root beer floats and Nick loved it. Whew. No work, really, and people can fix their own. I just provide the fixings.
I won't eat root beer floats, either, but the kids will love 'em.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90479 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
LW1:ďYou simply are at the vanguard of a life change that in a few years will be sweeping across your friends. Theyíll be deep in diapers, while youíll be the one sleeping through the night ... But one of the great advantages of having a child early is that you will still be young when she is grown.Ē

That's really the key for him, since he feels the way he does ... he needs to keep this in mind.

I was a similar age as he was when we started having kids. But, when Iím 45 all my kids will be 18 or older and weíll have a hell of a lot more $$ to blow on fun things than we did when we were in our 20s.

Unless something unforeseen happens, Ill also be around to be active with any grandchildren and possibly around long enough to be more than just stuck in the corner in my wheel chair should there be great grandchildren.

Unlike him, tho, Iíve always had at least some me time and more balance.

LW2: I donít think you can do much more than you have tried.

LW3: Just donít do any couples activities with him and his gf.

LW4: I donít think anyone else pays nearly the amount of attention that you do to the graphics of these presentations.

Neda, stay with me!

#90480 Aug 29, 2013
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox?
j_m_w wrote:
Ang, that's super annoying about Nick's sister and movie-watching!
Topix on my home computer is fine and it's still messed up on my work computer (both IE and Firefox). I hate it, it makes it so much more difficult to participate.
:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Realtime 1,126,871
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 13 min Mandela 68,661
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 36 min Ben Dover 50,632
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 46 min jacques Ottawa 179,404
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr wanna 4,797
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 1 hr Swedenforever 25
Amy 10-24 1 hr Community Disorga... 8
Abby 10-24 1 hr Community Disorga... 19
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance