Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90499 Aug 29, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
uh, yeah, that sounds like the perfect storm of GI issues...
BTW, how are your wrists doing? i wake up about once a week an my hands are all scrunched up. since hearing about your problems, i make a very conscious effort to not do taht any more...
The problem is completely gone. I am THRILLED that wearing wrist braces for a month or two did the trick.

Location hidden

#90500 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
Get out of the GD car NOW or you're grounded for 2 weeks. You show respect to me and your mother and listen to your parents. You are NOT in charge of things here and you better learn this quick. We will hear you out and consider what you say but you are not going to call the shots.
Then, if he still doesn't get out of the car, he ain't going anywhere for those 2 weeks.
I think dad didn't get hard ass on his kid because he sympathizes and doesn't want the force the kid to have to go to mom's house. I don't necessarily blame him. J ust that he isn't terribly motivated to take it to defcon 10.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90501 Aug 29, 2013
Ha!
Funny thing is, On Monday I forgot to include an attachment with an email, and when the person emailed back "no attachment", I told them I had included the invisible attachment by mistake, and was now sending the visible one.

Oh, and FWIW topix is not telling me about updates today.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#90502 Aug 29, 2013
That sounds like something edog would spew, er say.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
Get out of the GD car NOW or you're grounded for 2 weeks. You show respect to me and your mother and listen to your parents. You are NOT in charge of things here and you better learn this quick. We will hear you out and consider what you say but you are not going to call the shots.
Then, if he still doesn't get out of the car, he ain't going anywhere for those 2 weeks.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90503 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
well, he didn't get out and according to the description below the video, he's been living with dad since then(i think it got posted in june).

Now what?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90504 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
oh wait, was that speech suppoded to come from the dad? There was no "we" will here you out cause mom did not want to work anything out with dad. She flat out said he needs to go to court if he wants more time whereas he voiced that he wanted to wofk things out between them.

The way she presented herself, I'd not be surprised if she would be happy never letting him visit dad.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90505 Aug 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Something amusing from Lamebook. I thought PE might appreciate it:
http://www.lamebook.com/true-freedom/
Hah!

She just finished filling out her first FAFSA
I helped he make out a realistic budget when she was home.
Its taken a while but my little baby is growing up.
Bucket of cold water on her head as she figured out she had to cover her own medical insurance either through COBRA or an independent policy.

The comments at the bottom and the d are a real good reminder why I don't go there.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90506 Aug 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to you but the kid:
Yeah, Toj, Im sure youd do that if you were the one who only got to see you kid every weekend and your ex-husband presumably fought for this arrangement against your wishes. Especially if your son was adamant about no going back to live with him and his new gal and he was subject to physical abuse (like he claimed) and constantly being yelled at (like he claimed).

Pretty sure if my wife and I divorced and she did all she could do to see to it that she had 95% of the contact with them and I only saw them 5% of the time, when I wanted to see them more and my child was 14 or an age where he was mature enough to have some say about where he would be happier at, and he was subject to daily verbal abuse at the hands of my ex and her new man, on top of physical abuse, Id not want my child in that situation.

Location hidden

#90507 Aug 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> oh wait, was that speech suppoded to come from the dad? There was no "we" will here you out cause mom did not want to work anything out with dad. She flat out said he needs to go to court if he wants more time whereas he voiced that he wanted to wofk things out between them.
The way she presented herself, I'd not be surprised if she would be happy never letting him visit dad.
I only watched part of the video, but I caught some interesting parts. She came off to me as one of those women, who did everything she could possibly do to keep the kids with her and not with their father. Many women do that, unlike my buddy and his ex who have equal custody.

She mentioned something about a machine shop not being a good environment for a kid (why, I have no clue) and she also mentioned something about her ex-husband and another woman (who presumably he left her for) and how the events that lead to their separation were not appropriate to discuss with kids.

She came off like a vindictive b1tch who used her children as pawns to punish the ex-husband.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#90508 Aug 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hah!
She just finished filling out her first FAFSA
I helped he make out a realistic budget when she was home.
Its taken a while but my little baby is growing up.
Bucket of cold water on her head as she figured out she had to cover her own medical insurance either through COBRA or an independent policy.
The comments at the bottom and the d are a real good reminder why I don't go there.
How old is she? If she's under 26 she would be able to be on your policy no? Besides she would be able to have medical coverage with the ACA in January so she only has to deal with an independent policy/student insurance until then I think.

I was looking (not intently, just skimming really) over the WA ACA Exchange page last night just trying to get a feel for what's supposed to happen. I think it's going to be great for a lot of people who really can't afford to pay premiums, even if they're doing it now even though they can't really afford them; it will give them some financial relief. I don't think it's going to affect me at all because of my HMO, but I think it will be a good thing for a lot of people.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90509 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Heh, all the fast food workers are striking for wages of $15 an hour ... i hope they get it ... that way my wife won't have to go to nursing school to start off making $19-20 an hour. She can just get a job at McDonalds and in the 2 or 3 years it will take to get her degree, she'll be making 17 buck an hour. Nobody ever thinks of these things, tho.
Yeah, I had a friend that is a librarian with a masters degree that couldn't find a job for $15 for the longest time! They want $15 an hour to flip burgers??? The one article I read was about a McDs worker who was 24 with 3 kids (unmarried)... the kid in the background picture looked to be at least 7. Maybe the gal should have been going to school instead of having so many kids. I am glad she is working and all, but that is not a $15 and hour job. It just isn't.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90510 Aug 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> in spite of the details i posted, i do think the mom kept her cpmposure for the most part. She did suggest sitting down to discuss it, but she meant ger out of the car, come inside, and we'll talk. That did not mean dad comes in to discuss too. And that was not gonna happen cause kid did not want to get out of car.
I'll have to watch it when I can. It's too bad they all couldn't/wouldn't sit down and talk together.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90511 Aug 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I see in the local papers/ websites, somewhere around age 12-14 the child custody judge will start having a private meeting with the kid away from either parent to get the kids input. Younger than 12, they won't. There have been some fights where the mom wants the judge to do that for a 9 year old but it is pretty clear the mo has set the kid up. The judge can appoint a neutral like referee to watch for the younger kids interests.
Apparently some enterprising people have started a "no mans zone" where the kids can be dropped off and picked up, and communication between the parents goes through the service, not sure about the child support. Sounds like the custody version of PayPal, but there is a market for the services.
If you want to read how bad it can get, Google Dwayne Wade divorce custody. Although he plays in Miami , he is from Chicago as is his ex so it is in the Chicago papers on a regular basis. One of her stunts is that whenever she had to send the kids to him for visitation, she would take them to an ER claiming they were sick. She lost custody and still fights.
I've read about them! It is crazy!

Location hidden

#90512 Aug 29, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I had a friend that is a librarian with a masters degree that couldn't find a job for $15 for the longest time! They want $15 an hour to flip burgers??? The one article I read was about a McDs worker who was 24 with 3 kids (unmarried)... the kid in the background picture looked to be at least 7. Maybe the gal should have been going to school instead of having so many kids. I am glad she is working and all, but that is not a $15 and hour job. It just isn't.
Yeah, that's what they are asking for ... they call it social justice. I've been debating others elsewhere and when I pointed that out, they said, well they need to pay nurses more then.

I'm trying to explain that if you give everyone a 200% raise, that just means the cost of labor attributed to whatever good or service they provide will go up by a proportionate amount and we have this thing called inflation. Do that across teh economy and no one gets ahead.

If I get a 20k raise this year, but I end up paying 20k more for all the goods and services I purchase over the course of a year, because the cost of labor has gone up 20k for all those goods and services, I haven't really gotten a raise.

The only way for you to come out as a winner on such a scheme is for you and folks in your profession to get the 200% raise and for no one else or very limited other folks in other professions to get that raise.

In such a situation, while the person getting the raise might be better off, everyone else who doesn't get that 200% raise is worse off, because they will have to pay more when they buy whatever goods or services made or provided by the folks who actually received the 200% raise! Also, if a lot of folks decide that these goods and services now cost too much and no longer purchase them because the cost has gone up because the labor cost has gone up, you could wind up out of a job rather than with a 200% raise.

Location hidden

#90513 Aug 29, 2013
I am so GD sick of those "ads by zinc" that are popping up on the left side of the screen and only go away if I click the red X.

Location hidden

#90514 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I only watched part of the video, but I caught some interesting parts. She came off to me as one of those women, who did everything she could possibly do to keep the kids with her and not with their father. Many women do that, unlike my buddy and his ex who have equal custody.
She mentioned something about a machine shop not being a good environment for a kid (why, I have no clue) and she also mentioned something about her ex-husband and another woman (who presumably he left her for) and how the events that lead to their separation were not appropriate to discuss with kids.
She came off like a vindictive b1tch who used her children as pawns to punish the ex-husband.
LIke someone else said, the fact that she refers to the kid's stepdad as "dad" and calls the kid's dad by his first name (to the kid) is her attempt to replace his father.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90515 Aug 29, 2013
I think the fast-food workers believe that if their CEO is making 400 times what they are making, the company *can* afford to pay the front-line workers more and not have to raise prices.

Location hidden

#90516 Aug 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I think the fast-food workers believe that if their CEO is making 400 times what they are making, the company *can* afford to pay the front-line workers more and not have to raise prices.
I'll agree with that.

Location hidden

#90517 Aug 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Well if that's what they think, that probably explains why they work at f'ing Mcdonalds.

Mcdonalds CEO has an annual compensation of 13.8 million dollars

McDonalds employes 1.7 million people.

Let's say they pay the CEO nothing, and use all that cost savings to give the the other 1.7 million workers each an annual raise (not to be confused with an hourly raised). That works out to an annual raise of of 8 dollars and 11 cents. Assuming they work on average 25 hours every week of the year, that works out to that is an hourly raise of about a little more than half a penny an hour!!!

Now is this REALLY all about a half a penny an hour raise?

But, hey, let's go full bore commie on McDonalds and let's not just stop with the CEO. After the CEO, ket's also say they pay the next 100 most highly paid folks at Mcdonalds $0.00 annually and lets assume, but for receiving no compensation, they each would have averaged a million a year in compensation, for a grand total of $100 million. If we use that $100 million to give the other 1.7 million workers a raise, that works out to an hourly raise of about 4 cents an hour.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90518 Aug 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's what they are asking for ... they call it social justice. I've been debating others elsewhere and when I pointed that out, they said, well they need to pay nurses more then.
I'm trying to explain that if you give everyone a 200% raise, that just means the cost of labor attributed to whatever good or service they provide will go up by a proportionate amount and we have this thing called inflation. Do that across teh economy and no one gets ahead.
If I get a 20k raise this year, but I end up paying 20k more for all the goods and services I purchase over the course of a year, because the cost of labor has gone up 20k for all those goods and services, I haven't really gotten a raise.
The only way for you to come out as a winner on such a scheme is for you and folks in your profession to get the 200% raise and for no one else or very limited other folks in other professions to get that raise.
In such a situation, while the person getting the raise might be better off, everyone else who doesn't get that 200% raise is worse off, because they will have to pay more when they buy whatever goods or services made or provided by the folks who actually received the 200% raise! Also, if a lot of folks decide that these goods and services now cost too much and no longer purchase them because the cost has gone up because the labor cost has gone up, you could wind up out of a job rather than with a 200% raise.
Excellent points!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Guru 182,156
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 18 min Tim 146
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min Teaman 1,156,200
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min Mothra 49,360
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min KiMare 51,296
Word (Dec '08) 39 min Breezy _Soul 4,797
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 4,924
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News