Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90418 Aug 28, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, i loved that show....my dad's cousin Arden, fought in the original battle of, Pork Chop Hill....in Korea....BTW, Henry Morgan was on television's Dragnet for years.....
I grew up on a steady diet of MASH -- Mondays were the best, b/c it was on at 6:30 and 10:30 with reruns, and the new episodes were on at 8. Three times in one night!

I saw Dragnet later as a young adult with TV Land on cable.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90419 Aug 28, 2013
Maybe some might remember back when Thursday nite was huge....Mash, Barney Miller and Mary Tyler Moore shows.....also Bob Newhart, i think....a great nite....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90420 Aug 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say we agree that there was in fact an historical Jesus (the one from the bible that Christians call the son of god...there were lots of people with that name and to forestall the mutt I want to be clear to whom I refer) because there is some debate and not much archaeological evidence.
The bible (NT to be clear) says that he was educated in the Torah. It says that he read the Hebrew texts in the bible. He is said to have sat in the temple in Jerusalem debating the Torah with the priests. If all of this is true, then yes he would have been literate otherwise he could not have read the Torah or bible.

.
I know that at one point he is called Reb( rabbi, meaning teacher) but it is not clear to me if he was schooled in the oral tradition or if he could actually read the scrolls. His first 30 years did not sound like the life of a scholar.

Have you read Reza Aslan's book

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90421 Aug 28, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Maybe some might remember back when Thursday nite was huge....Mash, Barney Miller and Mary Tyler Moore shows.....also Bob Newhart, i think....a great nite....
I watched Barney Miller, but I was too young to "get" the humor, but I knew I should like it, so I watched it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#90422 Aug 28, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's you not understanding the definition of irony again.
Try again, buddy. On second thought, don't bother. Really.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90423 Aug 28, 2013
Youtube had a year in review for 1975 with the old TV shows, some clips and lists, songs, what was in the news, prices, etc. for 1975. I'm sure there's stuff for other years as well.

If you're ever bored, you can go looking on youtube.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90424 Aug 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
Youtube had a year in review for 1975 with the old TV shows, some clips and lists, songs, what was in the news, prices, etc. for 1975. I'm sure there's stuff for other years as well.
If you're ever bored, you can go looking on youtube.
1. That would make me feel old!:)
2. I think it would become a HUGE time suck, because I was *raised* on television!!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90425 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
1. That would make me feel old!:)
2. I think it would become a HUGE time suck, because I was *raised* on television!!
Yes, it probably would. I clicked off of it before I became too curious.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90426 Aug 28, 2013
One night, after a coworker had shown me a great video on youtube, I got home from work and watched it again, then found other similar videos.

Finally got up at 11 p.m. and went to bed.

I watched pet dogs playing with river otters like they were the best of friends. Freakin' adorable.

This one was my first and my favorite:



I just love cross-species friendships.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90427 Aug 28, 2013

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90428 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
One night, after a coworker had shown me a great video on youtube, I got home from work and watched it again, then found other similar videos.
Finally got up at 11 p.m. and went to bed.
I watched pet dogs playing with river otters like they were the best of friends. Freakin' adorable.
This one was my first and my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =J2jnEBrMkTAXX
I just love cross-species friendships.
Grrr. Gotta stop! Okay, I clicked on that then watched a couple.

Loved the polar bears! http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90429 Aug 28, 2013
Yesterday I said the Lake was a bracing 74 degrees, and even as I typed it, I knew it had to wrong. I had heard the life guard say it to someone and I assumed they should know.

Got a message from the city (telling me our beach is closed) and the water temp is actually 59. That sounds more like it.

We had a lovely evening at the beach last night, except for the biting flies; those f*ckers are nasty and persistant. When we got there, there was a group of 9-10 boys playing some type of ball game in the water (I even commented to the girls there was a lot of "boy energy" at the beach); I was kind of surprised that the life guard was letting this go on, but then I looked at him, and if he was 18 I would have been surprised.(I think he wished he could have joined in.) But the parents were watching and made sure the game didn't get too out of hand, but I thought it was really refreshing to see some boys being allowed to be boys.

Of course, my girls just saw their game as challenge and insisted on walking through the game at every opportunity.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90430 Aug 28, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Of course, my girls just saw their game as challenge and insisted on walking through the game at every opportunity.
Ha! Like the people (kids, families) who walk through our outfields when we're playing ball.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90431 Aug 28, 2013
Also, I don't like that your lifeguards seem to want to keep any physical playing around under control, as you've posted about before today.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90432 Aug 28, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Yesterday I said the Lake was a bracing 74 degrees, and even as I typed it, I knew it had to wrong. I had heard the life guard say it to someone and I assumed they should know.
Got a message from the city (telling me our beach is closed) and the water temp is actually 59. That sounds more like it.
We had a lovely evening at the beach last night, except for the biting flies; those f*ckers are nasty and persistant. When we got there, there was a group of 9-10 boys playing some type of ball game in the water (I even commented to the girls there was a lot of "boy energy" at the beach); I was kind of surprised that the life guard was letting this go on, but then I looked at him, and if he was 18 I would have been surprised.(I think he wished he could have joined in.) But the parents were watching and made sure the game didn't get too out of hand, but I thought it was really refreshing to see some boys being allowed to be boys.
Of course, my girls just saw their game as challenge and insisted on walking through the game at every opportunity.
Ha! Our water's like 84 degrees!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90433 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Also, I don't like that your lifeguards seem to want to keep any physical playing around under control, as you've posted about before today.
I understand it when it's very crowded and there are lots of little little ones around. But it was sparsely populated last night and there were no life guard bosses around so...

I really enjoyed watching it. Boys have such different energy than girls and their fun was infectious. Me and the girls decided to have our own little game of catch; we have this square ball (I know, I know, and oxymoron) and if you throw it just right it will skip so we tried to get it to do more than 3 skips. We were unsuccessful but that was never the point.

I then got some sandpizza and sandcake while we warmed up. It's delicious but a little crunchy.
:D

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#90434 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
If Buscemi were a good-looking guy, I think his career would have been bigger. But I think he might have been less memorable. I love him as a character actor. He was great in "Fargo."
I <3 Steve Buscemi. Not in an oh god he's hot way, just in he's a great actor and very under appreciated kind of way.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#90435 Aug 28, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that at one point he is called Reb( rabbi, meaning teacher) but it is not clear to me if he was schooled in the oral tradition or if he could actually read the scrolls. His first 30 years did not sound like the life of a scholar.
Have you read Reza Aslan's book
I haven' read Aslan's book. As far as Jesus, wheat I have read says that he read the hebrew texts that were part of what became the bible and that he read the Torah. IF he read them then yeah he would have needed to be literate in Hebrew to do that. IMO (scholarly opinion) I would doubt that an average person from that time, even the priests except for a few very special i.e. high ranking would have been literate and the teaching/learning would have been more from the oral tradition.

That can be supported from the dearth of actual written texts. Some stuff existed sure, but most of the written records that survive from that time and place are Roman documents; boring governmental stuff like taxes and inheritance stuff...civil stuff nothing really Earth shattering.

By and large there aren't a lot of scripture type texts and I attribute that to lack of literacy more than anything else. Pre-paper literate societies used clay tablets, so if people are literate they will find a way to write (and read). Kind of like medieval Europe...the people were illiterate. The few literate people that did exist (monks) wrote stuff down; if the base population had been literate, they would have written stuff down too.

Of course...again...if...god...wo uldn't have been an issue and all that.(._.)

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90436 Aug 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I <3 Steve Buscemi. Not in an oh god he's hot way, just in he's a great actor and very under appreciated kind of way.
If you loved him in an "oh god he's hot" kind of way, I'd be seriously concerned...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90437 Aug 28, 2013
he's not hot, but he's SO COOL and talented, I'd date him just to see how it went.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min OzRitz 49,322
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 39 min Yeah 1,155,941
amy 12-26 48 min RACE 3
abby 12-26 53 min RACE 3
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 1 hr Big Red 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Guru 182,094
3 charged with stealing clothes from suburban M... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
Colts' Complete Week 17 Preview vs. Titans
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Bears vs. Vikings: What Experts Are Saying About Chicago
NBC Sports 6:03 AM
Jim Caldwell: No concerns about starting a rookie center
Bleacher Report 8:46 AM
What Are Experts Saying About Vikings?
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015