Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90413 Aug 28, 2013
What day is it? What DAY is IT? Happy Hump Day!(I admit, I like the camel commercial.)

Tonight: Clean out my car and trunk (during summer softball season, it just becomes a huge dumping ground). We're taking it to the cabin with the boys tomorrow night.(My car's trunk is crazy huge.)

Thursday: Pretend to work all day, then go home and head to Nick's, then to the cabin. For Four days with 11 people I"m not related to.

Last night, our ump asked me to sign up to be an ump for Minneapolis parks and rec!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90414 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
If Buscemi were a good-looking guy, I think his career would have been bigger. But I think he might have been less memorable. I love him as a character actor. He was great in "Fargo."
I'm a huge fan of great character actors....i was telling my wife about Henry Morgan, Colonel Potter from MASH....He was in so many movies, from the late 30's on....Imagine the great stories, he must have had.....Years ago, the late David Niven wrote two fantastic books on all the Hollywood history he was around....

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90415 Aug 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that irony again.
There's you not understanding the definition of irony again.

Location hidden

#90416 Aug 28, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a huge fan of great character actors....i was telling my wife about Henry Morgan, Colonel Potter from MASH....He was in so many movies, from the late 30's on....Imagine the great stories, he must have had.....Years ago, the late David Niven wrote two fantastic books on all the Hollywood history he was around....
Do you remember Henry Morgan's first appearance on Mash? It wasn't as Col. Potter, it was as a visiting officer who was crazy and danced around the may pole.

Location hidden

#90417 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember Henry Morgan's first appearance on Mash? It wasn't as Col. Potter, it was as a visiting officer who was crazy and danced around the may pole.
Yeah, i loved that show....my dad's cousin Arden, fought in the original battle of, Pork Chop Hill....in Korea....BTW, Henry Morgan was on television's Dragnet for years.....

Location hidden

#90418 Aug 28, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, i loved that show....my dad's cousin Arden, fought in the original battle of, Pork Chop Hill....in Korea....BTW, Henry Morgan was on television's Dragnet for years.....
I grew up on a steady diet of MASH -- Mondays were the best, b/c it was on at 6:30 and 10:30 with reruns, and the new episodes were on at 8. Three times in one night!

I saw Dragnet later as a young adult with TV Land on cable.

Location hidden

#90419 Aug 28, 2013
Maybe some might remember back when Thursday nite was huge....Mash, Barney Miller and Mary Tyler Moore shows.....also Bob Newhart, i think....a great nite....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90420 Aug 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say we agree that there was in fact an historical Jesus (the one from the bible that Christians call the son of god...there were lots of people with that name and to forestall the mutt I want to be clear to whom I refer) because there is some debate and not much archaeological evidence.
The bible (NT to be clear) says that he was educated in the Torah. It says that he read the Hebrew texts in the bible. He is said to have sat in the temple in Jerusalem debating the Torah with the priests. If all of this is true, then yes he would have been literate otherwise he could not have read the Torah or bible.

I know that at one point he is called Reb( rabbi, meaning teacher) but it is not clear to me if he was schooled in the oral tradition or if he could actually read the scrolls. His first 30 years did not sound like the life of a scholar.

Have you read Reza Aslan's book

Location hidden

#90421 Aug 28, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Maybe some might remember back when Thursday nite was huge....Mash, Barney Miller and Mary Tyler Moore shows.....also Bob Newhart, i think....a great nite....
I watched Barney Miller, but I was too young to "get" the humor, but I knew I should like it, so I watched it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#90422 Aug 28, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's you not understanding the definition of irony again.
Try again, buddy. On second thought, don't bother. Really.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90423 Aug 28, 2013
Youtube had a year in review for 1975 with the old TV shows, some clips and lists, songs, what was in the news, prices, etc. for 1975. I'm sure there's stuff for other years as well.

If you're ever bored, you can go looking on youtube.

Location hidden

#90424 Aug 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
Youtube had a year in review for 1975 with the old TV shows, some clips and lists, songs, what was in the news, prices, etc. for 1975. I'm sure there's stuff for other years as well.
If you're ever bored, you can go looking on youtube.
1. That would make me feel old!:)
2. I think it would become a HUGE time suck, because I was *raised* on television!!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90425 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
1. That would make me feel old!:)
2. I think it would become a HUGE time suck, because I was *raised* on television!!
Yes, it probably would. I clicked off of it before I became too curious.

Location hidden

#90426 Aug 28, 2013
One night, after a coworker had shown me a great video on youtube, I got home from work and watched it again, then found other similar videos.

Finally got up at 11 p.m. and went to bed.

I watched pet dogs playing with river otters like they were the best of friends. Freakin' adorable.

This one was my first and my favorite:

I just love cross-species friendships.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90427 Aug 28, 2013

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#90428 Aug 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
One night, after a coworker had shown me a great video on youtube, I got home from work and watched it again, then found other similar videos.
Finally got up at 11 p.m. and went to bed.
I watched pet dogs playing with river otters like they were the best of friends. Freakin' adorable.
This one was my first and my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =J2jnEBrMkTAXX
I just love cross-species friendships.
Grrr. Gotta stop! Okay, I clicked on that then watched a couple.

Loved the polar bears! http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90429 Aug 28, 2013
Yesterday I said the Lake was a bracing 74 degrees, and even as I typed it, I knew it had to wrong. I had heard the life guard say it to someone and I assumed they should know.

Got a message from the city (telling me our beach is closed) and the water temp is actually 59. That sounds more like it.

We had a lovely evening at the beach last night, except for the biting flies; those f*ckers are nasty and persistant. When we got there, there was a group of 9-10 boys playing some type of ball game in the water (I even commented to the girls there was a lot of "boy energy" at the beach); I was kind of surprised that the life guard was letting this go on, but then I looked at him, and if he was 18 I would have been surprised.(I think he wished he could have joined in.) But the parents were watching and made sure the game didn't get too out of hand, but I thought it was really refreshing to see some boys being allowed to be boys.

Of course, my girls just saw their game as challenge and insisted on walking through the game at every opportunity.

Location hidden

#90430 Aug 28, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Of course, my girls just saw their game as challenge and insisted on walking through the game at every opportunity.
Ha! Like the people (kids, families) who walk through our outfields when we're playing ball.

Location hidden

#90431 Aug 28, 2013
Also, I don't like that your lifeguards seem to want to keep any physical playing around under control, as you've posted about before today.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#90432 Aug 28, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Yesterday I said the Lake was a bracing 74 degrees, and even as I typed it, I knew it had to wrong. I had heard the life guard say it to someone and I assumed they should know.
Got a message from the city (telling me our beach is closed) and the water temp is actually 59. That sounds more like it.
We had a lovely evening at the beach last night, except for the biting flies; those f*ckers are nasty and persistant. When we got there, there was a group of 9-10 boys playing some type of ball game in the water (I even commented to the girls there was a lot of "boy energy" at the beach); I was kind of surprised that the life guard was letting this go on, but then I looked at him, and if he was 18 I would have been surprised.(I think he wished he could have joined in.) But the parents were watching and made sure the game didn't get too out of hand, but I thought it was really refreshing to see some boys being allowed to be boys.
Ha! Our water's like 84 degrees!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min pencils and crayons 1,263,742
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Dr Guru 194,582
News Hogar Crea, regional drug rehab group, ripping ... (Apr '08) 1 hr Sergant of order 161
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Gas Woman 70,145
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Mexico 54,319
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 5 hr OLD need 2 die 6
Local Politics Do you approve of Rahm Emanuel as Mayor? (Sep '12) 5 hr NAZIFASCISTSTAR-D... 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages