Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90305 Aug 27, 2013
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text> In the end, Sublime, I guess each of us will find the true answer.
Possibly, possibly not.

I'm agnostic. Could be there is an afterlife (although I very much doubt it is what any religion made, controlled, and corrupted by man thinks it is)... could be there is nothing and you just die, without any spiritual consciousness to know whether you were right or wrong about your thoughts on the matter. I have no idea and don't pretend to know such things.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#90306 Aug 27, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why are you afraid of God?
<quoted text>
In this context "fear" means respect.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90307 Aug 27, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't realize you were the expert and authority on that. My bad. And I always love how you pass off your opinions as facts.


You can choose to follow a book written by such folks if you wish, but it doesn't make what I say any less untrue.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#90308 Aug 27, 2013
any less true, that is
Timmy

United States

#90309 Aug 27, 2013
Her response was appropriate to a thread that BEGAN with a comment about Bush. Thefore, any comment about Bush's "service" is OK. If you want a thread only about Obama's service, start a new one and quit being a crybaby.

You should note that you HAVE been answered mulitple times, you just did not seem to like the responses (no draft when Obama old enough to serve, he went into public service instead of the military, etc.)
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Except I didn't ask about Bush, I asked about Obama. Deflect and dodge, deflect and dodge, the ol liberal mantra.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90310 Aug 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush didn't have a choice -- he had to serve. But thanks to a powerful and rich family, he was spared (same happened to many others in his position).
And he was itching to go to war! Haven't you read conservatives' own writings about those days before 9/11? Bush was just itching for any excuse he could come up with to get into Iraq.
Yes you are right, Bush didn't have a choice...or did he? With all that money, he could have headed to Canada like many others. Listen, it's not for me to second guess what was in someone's heart during that time. But you are criticizing someone who served because you think they should have served differently. It just doesn't seem logical to me. I think we have allowed the media to get us caught up in their pandering.

And just for the record, I don't think jr. was a very good president. I was embarrassed for our country every time he spoke.

On a lighter note, Redhead, I read where you said you have been working for gay and lesbian rights for a long time. I live in New Mexico...we have a lot of very happy same sex couples getting marriage licenses right now, before our Governor can shut them down.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90311 Aug 27, 2013
RACE wrote:
I just ignore the posts when these lunkheads start with their political rants. It blows over eventually.
Morning!
<quoted text>
I should stay out of it. I haven't debated on topix in a long time.

Morning to you, RACE.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90312 Aug 27, 2013
mr goodwrench wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning beautiful!!
Morning, GW.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90313 Aug 27, 2013
Wow, politics, religion, and gay marriage all on one page. I love this thread!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90314 Aug 27, 2013
-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are right, Bush didn't have a choice...or did he? With all that money, he could have headed to Canada like many others. Listen, it's not for me to second guess what was in someone's heart during that time. But you are criticizing someone who served because you think they should have served differently. It just doesn't seem logical to me. I think we have allowed the media to get us caught up in their pandering.
And just for the record, I don't think jr. was a very good president. I was embarrassed for our country every time he spoke.
On a lighter note, Redhead, I read where you said you have been working for gay and lesbian rights for a long time. I live in New Mexico...we have a lot of very happy same sex couples getting marriage licenses right now, before our Governor can shut them down.
I absolutely am criticizing G.W. Bush for his pathetic excuse of military service, mainly because he tried to play it up later on. If he'd just said "I avoided going to Viet Nam because I COULD," i would respect that honesty. Just like Viet Nam vets said about Clinton using college to avoid the draft -- "if he'd just admitted he avoided going to war, I'd respect that."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90315 Aug 27, 2013
-CatCiao- wrote:
Wow, politics, religion, and gay marriage all on one page. I love this thread!
Now all we need is a cat fight!:)

I'm DYING to go to lunch -- especially before it gets even hotter out -- but I"m waiting on something that is supposed to be done by noon. Grrrr.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90316 Aug 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely am criticizing G.W. Bush for his pathetic excuse of military service, mainly because he tried to play it up later on. If he'd just said "I avoided going to Viet Nam because I COULD," i would respect that honesty. Just like Viet Nam vets said about Clinton using college to avoid the draft -- "if he'd just admitted he avoided going to war, I'd respect that."
Okay, I get that, and I agree. Lying is not the way to go with an issue such as that. It's like saying "I did not inhale". lol. But whether you like the way he served or not, he served.

What about Kerry? I find what he did despicable. It's all a matter of opinion and sides, and the polarization of America. I caution all of us not to buy too deeply into what I consider propaganda at this point.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#90317 Aug 27, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
any less true, that is
Hey Sublime, I didn't know you were a bible thumper!

:-P

“Do unto others before”

Since: Apr 10

They do unto you

#90318 Aug 27, 2013
IXSatanXI wrote:
<quoted text>You will lik it here Mr. G. I watch, but don't often comment.
Brother! Good to see you.

“Do unto others before”

Since: Apr 10

They do unto you

#90319 Aug 27, 2013
-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>Morning, GW.
I stay out of most of that.
I don't want to offend any of my friends or start a war.
Nothing comes between friends as religion or politics.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#90320 Aug 27, 2013
-CatCiao- wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I get that, and I agree. Lying is not the way to go with an issue such as that. It's like saying "I did not inhale". lol. But whether you like the way he served or not, he served.
What about Kerry? I find what he did despicable. It's all a matter of opinion and sides, and the polarization of America. I caution all of us not to buy too deeply into what I consider propaganda at this point.
What? Kerry's own men who served under him -- including die-hard Republicans -- praise his military service.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#90321 Aug 27, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
In this context "fear" means respect.
Not picking on your in particular, but the world in general. Drives me nuts how people mistake fear for respect. It's 2 different things.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#90322 Aug 27, 2013
Timmy wrote:
Her response was appropriate to a thread that BEGAN with a comment about Bush. Thefore, any comment about Bush's "service" is OK. If you want a thread only about Obama's service, start a new one and quit being a crybaby.
You should note that you HAVE been answered mulitple times, you just did not seem to like the responses (no draft when Obama old enough to serve, he went into public service instead of the military, etc.)
<quoted text>
Now who's being the cry baby? You want me to run off and start a different thread because you can't handle the truth about your Messiah? My question WASN'T answered. By anyone. I never asked about the draft, I asked about bamma's military service. You people want to criticize Bush's service, but want to ignore the fact your Great One never served at all.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#90323 Aug 27, 2013
I believe you are incorrect.
I think it means that you respect out of fear, which is not really respect at all, and I cannot fathom why an Omnipotent being would need to garner my respect using fear.

Why do we apply such human egotistical frailty's on a creator, a God?

We all agree that respect is earned not given, but apparently the creator is nothing more than a school yard bully demanding respect from us or he will punch us in the nose.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
In this context "fear" means respect.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#90324 Aug 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Kerry's own men who served under him -- including die-hard Republicans -- praise his military service.
I think he was commenting on his later protesting of the war and didn't he throw his medals at something? It's been a while since I cared that much about this stuff...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Agents of Corruption 1,509,499
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Well Well 8,075
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr JRB 239,518
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Mothra 63,572
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr SweLL GirL 10,501
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 10 hr They cannot kill ... 3,631
Graduation in Detroit. 14 hr BHO is EVIL 4

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages