Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Instead of answering the question about your guy, you deflect back to the other guy.
What question are you referring to?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
I'm afraid historians aren't gonna be very kind to Bush/Cheney, regardless of partisan, party bullsh*t....BTW, Tonight is steak nite...Got the charcoal grill all setup, justa waiting for the sun to fade, as it is about 90 down here....What's everybody having?
We had leftover indian.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
The rest of the world shouldn't have to worry about killing someone for doing normal things.
Perhaps the cafeteria should wipe tables down better.
This will be a lifelong challenge for this girl; best to teach skills rather than expect the world to accomodate you, as it won't.
I see it as she shouldn't have to worry about dying for doing normal things.
I'm sure her mom has spoken to the school and probably started packing wipes in the lunch bag. And skills the girl already has, but she's just a *kid* and sometimes kids mess up. Imo it's incumbent on us as a society to take care of the most vulnerable.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd have to go look it up, but as I recall, we were already sending advisors...very few of them...and way way way quietly as early as '56.
Eisenhower effectively stayed out of it but IIRC the US part in it was primarily paying France to stay there and deal with it. It was still French Indochina. We were propping up the French.. The French wanted either the old colonialism or they wanted out.
If they left and no one stepped in, what became S. Vietnam (because it wasn't really a nation as such...more like districts or provinces) would have been taken over by N.Vietnam. It would have been the one single Vietnam that HCM wanted (and that it became anyway).
Also, remember the whole anti-communist hysteria here at that time, Mc Carthy, et.al., and they were all convinced that if Vietnam fell, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand,-you know, the "domino effect"- and the USSR would step in to spread communism across the world through SE Asia, across the Pacific and right on to Main Street, USA.
Also remember that I only paid as much attention to that class as I needed to in order to get my A. I only heard about 2/3 of whatever he said. <shrug>
Oh yes, the domino effect boogieman covered a lot, but I don't think that justification was in general circulation until after Kennedy was in office, not Eisenhower.
I'm doing this off the top of my head without wiki-fact checking, but I don't remember a lot of military action in the late 50's (once I was old enough to remember that sort of thing.) Enormous amounts of Cold War, anti-Commie, nuclear panic,Sputnick space race things but not actual military stuff until Castro overthrew Bautista in 59.(Khrushchev did his show pounding on the table thing in 59 just about the same time the White Sox won the pennant;Mayor Daley I set off the air raid sirens to celebrate and we all thought the Russians were attacking.) I was kind of aware of the Suez canal thing because, growing up Jewish, anything that could impact Israel was discussed at Sunday school or in the family. My uncle was in the Army Reserves when he graduated college in 57 and there was no anxiety about him at risk to sent overseas to some war, or "conflict" theater.

We practiced duck and cover in school.

Plenty of the dads were WWII and Korean vets; if something were known to be brewing in Indochina, again, it would have be talked about. I had big ears and I asked inappropriate questions even then.

By 62 and definitely 63 Vietnam was an issue, but not much before. Even then we had the Berlin airlift first and always the Pinko Commie Red Menace.

I'll go poke around but I think that Kennedy was the President who took us into Vietnam in a tangible way.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
we had steak & salmon... usual saturday night programming around here. we cook together, and have more "state of the union" conversations over dinner & wine or cocktails on saturday evening than any other time of the week...
been doing this for years and years... we enjoy it and miss it when we dont have the opportunity.
Husband went out and brought home Chinese: Orange Pepper Beef. Okay, not great. I asked for extra rice. I am experimenting with versions of sticky rice with mango. I have been saving/freezing leftover Chinese white rice as a starting point.

I tried almond milk because older daughter wanted some when she was home lat week. This time I will use a tea/broth of lemongrass and ginger and sweeten it just with mango pulp. It will be like thick rice pudding/risotto with chunks of mango mixed in. Some of teh results so far have been real good. It is turning out really easy to make.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, the domino effect boogieman covered a lot, but I don't think that justification was in general circulation until after Kennedy was in office, not Eisenhower.
I'm doing this off the top of my head without wiki-fact checking, but I don't remember a lot of military action in the late 50's (once I was old enough to remember that sort of thing.) Enormous amounts of Cold War, anti-Commie, nuclear panic,Sputnick space race things but not actual military stuff until Castro overthrew Bautista in 59.(Khrushchev did his show pounding on the table thing in 59 just about the same time the White Sox won the pennant;Mayor Daley I set off the air raid sirens to celebrate and we all thought the Russians were attacking.) I was kind of aware of the Suez canal thing because, growing up Jewish, anything that could impact Israel was discussed at Sunday school or in the family. My uncle was in the Army Reserves when he graduated college in 57 and there was no anxiety about him at risk to sent overseas to some war, or "conflict" theater.
We practiced duck and cover in school.
Plenty of the dads were WWII and Korean vets; if something were known to be brewing in Indochina, again, it would have be talked about. I had big ears and I asked inappropriate questions even then.
By 62 and definitely 63 Vietnam was an issue, but not much before. Even then we had the Berlin airlift first and always the Pinko Commie Red Menace.
I'll go poke around but I think that Kennedy was the President who took us into Vietnam in a tangible way.
Well keeping in mind I wasn't even born in the 50's and too young to remember most of the 60'(I remember a few major things though...) everything I know about it has mostly come from bilks/classes/vets.

Kennedy definitely escalated it and Johnson really fuckedusover, especially by keeping Westmoreland in the game so long. I'm only saying that they were already (quietly) sending "advisors" over in the late 50s. If i remember right, the advisors in the late 50s were actual advisers and not combat troops disguised as advisers so as not to upset the American people. In fact I don't thick more than a few key people were involved...Pentagon certainly, JCS, and some faction (committee) in Congress, but I think it was one of those policies that they didn't really talk about.

Do you remember me bitching about the class the whole time I was taking it? I so wanted to (but couldn't) drop it.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Husband went out and brought home Chinese: Orange Pepper Beef. Okay, not great. I asked for extra rice. I am experimenting with versions of sticky rice with mango. I have been saving/freezing leftover Chinese white rice as a starting point.
I tried almond milk because older daughter wanted some when she was home lat week. This time I will use a tea/broth of lemongrass and ginger and sweeten it just with mango pulp. It will be like thick rice pudding/risotto with chunks of mango mixed in. Some of teh results so far have been real good. It is turning out really easy to make.
1 C Jasmine rice (rinse it about 5 times)
1C each pineapple juice (not concentrate) and coconut milk
1/4 C Maui onion diced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp canola oil

Rinse the rice well and drain. Put oil rice onion and salt in a skillet and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Don't brown it, just stir for a few minutes to release the starch (like with risotto). Add the coconut milk and pineapple juice, stir, bring to a boil, stir again, cover, turn heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. OMFG it's soooooo good.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We had leftover indian.
Chili dogs and chips. Meh. Summer break.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Well keeping in mind I wasn't even born in the 50's and too young to remember most of the 60'(I remember a few major things though...) everything I know about it has mostly come from bilks/classes/vets.
Kennedy definitely escalated it and Johnson really fuckedusover, especially by keeping Westmoreland in the game so long. I'm only saying that they were already (quietly) sending "advisors" over in the late 50s. If i remember right, the advisors in the late 50s were actual advisers and not combat troops disguised as advisers so as not to upset the American people. In fact I don't thick more than a few key people were involved...Pentagon certainly, JCS, and some faction (committee) in Congress, but I think it was one of those policies that they didn't really talk about.
Do you remember me bitching about the class the whole time I was taking it? I so wanted to (but couldn't) drop it.
Yep. I was listening closely because it was an academic rehash of what I knew first hand from roughly junior high through college.

Did you ever match up with Domini when you were taking teh class? She teaches the subject at one of the U WI campuses

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
1 C Jasmine rice (rinse it about 5 times)
1C each pineapple juice (not concentrate) and coconut milk
1/4 C Maui onion diced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp canola oil
Rinse the rice well and drain. Put oil rice onion and salt in a skillet and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Don't brown it, just stir for a few minutes to release the starch (like with risotto). Add the coconut milk and pineapple juice, stir, bring to a boil, stir again, cover, turn heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. OMFG it's soooooo good.
Maui is a sweet onion? They have Vidalia onions around here; I don't think I have seen a Maui.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. I was listening closely because it was an academic rehash of what I knew first hand from roughly junior high through college.
Did you ever match up with Domini when you were taking teh class? She teaches the subject at one of the U WI campuses
No never really did. She was yanno working teaching her classes LOL.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Maui is a sweet onion? They have Vidalia onions around here; I don't think I have seen a Maui.
Yes Maui, and Walla Walla both are. Walla Wallas are pretty easy to get here sine they come from yanno Walla Walla, WA (the home of Ma and Pa Kettle btw for anyone who "gets" that reference), but my first choice is Mauis. Vidalias are ok, but I don't choose them if I can get a Maui or a WW. There are some other sweet onions that show up from time to time too. I generally use sweets because I can use a lot and get a good strong onion flavor but not so much with the bitterness that can happen.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. I was listening closely because it was an academic rehash of what I knew first hand from roughly junior high through college.
I remember being aware that it was happening...over there. The first map I remember seeing was inside of a newspaper...it was SE Asia. I remember watching the news with that iconic view of the people climbing to the embassy roof to get the hell out of Saigon, right after it happened rather than years later...but I was like 12 then, so <shrug>

I do remember Haight Ashbury, People's park, the "demonstration" on the Berkeley campus, hippies, summer of love, seeing the Grateful Dead, etc., but I was from there so I was kind of in the thick of it even as a little kid. And I was always where I wasn't supposed to be listening in on conversations that were none of my business because I was a nosey little kid.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
we had steak & salmon... usual saturday night programming around here. we cook together, and have more "state of the union" conversations over dinner & wine or cocktails on saturday evening than any other time of the week...
been doing this for years and years... we enjoy it and miss it when we dont have the opportunity.
I've never been able to grill salmon successfully, also tuna....do you have any tips?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We had leftover indian.
I never discovered curry, till very late....my wife make's great Fish Curry, but more thai style, than indian....i saw India once, and it ruined my appetite...i know, that's so lame...lol...

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I've never been able to grill salmon successfully, also tuna....do you have any tips?
I haven't been able to do salmon well either. Check out yummly.com , pretty comprehensive. It pulls in many cooking sites. You can put in one ingredient, whether meat or starch or spice, whatever. Can be helpful. even has the calorie, etc. counts. Had incredible creamed spinach stuffed mushrooms yesterday, looked it up today and there were lots of recipes with variations.

Saw your comment about my cousin T and his disabilities from Vietnam. It wasn't that long ago that the VA finally agreed that his problem was due to agent orange. What a wasted life for a really nice person along with the thousands of others who were killed and disabled due to the misguided ones in power at that time. Unfortunately, those lessons were not learned by puppet Bush and evil Chaney.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been able to do salmon well either. Check out yummly.com , pretty comprehensive. It pulls in many cooking sites. You can put in one ingredient, whether meat or starch or spice, whatever. Can be helpful. even has the calorie, etc. counts. Had incredible creamed spinach stuffed mushrooms yesterday, looked it up today and there were lots of recipes with variations.
Saw your comment about my cousin T and his disabilities from Vietnam. It wasn't that long ago that the VA finally agreed that his problem was due to agent orange. What a wasted life for a really nice person along with the thousands of others who were killed and disabled due to the misguided ones in power at that time. Unfortunately, those lessons were not learned by puppet Bush and evil Chaney.
So sad that he got all the way to his, well deserved retirement before it brought him down, so much....Him and F jr were always so good to me.....BTW, i love creamed spinach, in almost any form.....lol....The screwing up the Bluefin Tuna, kinda killed me, as i recall it was like $19 a pound.....
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

So...some deconstruction help?
Last Sat had a date with the guy and he was all into it and didn't want to leave my car, even in the rain.
Called Tue. to check on me and how work started. I couldn't chat long but he was nice about it.
We already had a date last night and I never heard from him between Tue and last night, but he arrived and all seemed 'normal' and fine. We chatted like always and he was putting his arm around my chair and I was leaning into him and things were as usual, but about 3/4 into it he got really quiet and standoffish.
I asked if he was okay and he said yes, but he was quiet and his leg was tapping furiously under the table. At my car he didn't open the door like always and he didn't linger.
Can't think of anything to prompt that in the last week....any thoughts??

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
So...some deconstruction help?
Last Sat had a date with the guy and he was all into it and didn't want to leave my car, even in the rain.
Called Tue. to check on me and how work started. I couldn't chat long but he was nice about it.
We already had a date last night and I never heard from him between Tue and last night, but he arrived and all seemed 'normal' and fine. We chatted like always and he was putting his arm around my chair and I was leaning into him and things were as usual, but about 3/4 into it he got really quiet and standoffish.
I asked if he was okay and he said yes, but he was quiet and his leg was tapping furiously under the table. At my car he didn't open the door like always and he didn't linger.
Can't think of anything to prompt that in the last week....any thoughts??
Something happened between Tuesday evening and Saturday. My first guess is that he is also seeing someone else but that is only a guess.

Have you checked his profile on the site where you met? On Facebook or similar public sites?

Are you comfortable enough to call him up and ask what was going on? The worst is that he will say its not working out.

However, I have been out of the dating pool since 1981 so conventions may have changed and at a minimum you and I have different dating personalities.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 88,841 - 88,860 of96,140
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

39 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min killtaker 1,034,242
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 43,013
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 65,124
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Frank 167,628
Abby 4-19 2 hr Mister Tonka 23
gay (May '13) 2 hr anthony23 10
Music Artists A to Z 2 hr _Zoey_ 93
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search